mtbr member

Trek Mamba vs Airborne Gremlin

Hey,

I'm new to the sport and this will be my first real bike. I'm 24 and an avid outdoors person, I paintball and fish regularly and take occasional river rafting trips, so I need the hgighest quality components for my buck. I've narrowed my budget down to $1000-1200 and my question is, if the Airborne Gremlin is worth buying over the Mamba for $250 more?

I'm wondering if its really worth spending the extra cash. From what I've been told it is the best bang for the buck around the $1k price-point. Let's put aside the size of the frame and fitting for a second or any additional (misc.) parts that i know I need like a helmet, bottle mounts, bottles, etc, I need to know if the extra $250 is worth it purely on specs.

This will be my first bike, I am very much looking forward to taking on this sport and I want something that is high quality and has the integrity to hold up and be a joy to ride. Ultimately however, I am looking for the best bang for my buck.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Short answer.... Yes. (BTW... It's Goblin)

The only major thing is, if you buy the Trek from a LBS you will have their support and maybe some free adjustments that you will not get with the Goblin. As far as specs go... The goblin is the winner.

mtbr member
    HAHA, "gremlin"

Yeah I meant Goblin.

I don't think there's any local dealers that carry Airborne in my area. If I order from their main site, would it come fully disassembled like a BD bike?

Edit: I just read this in the www.twentynineinches.com site-review of the Goblin, "the bike comes very well packed with minimal assembly required. Even if you didn't have a clue as to how to adjust the bike, it would be rideable..."

Hmm is there somewhere I can go read on how to properly adjust a bike?
    Last edited by scatl M artin; 04-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Is a Goblin also better spec'ed than a Cobia?

..err I just don't know if I could do that tone of green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatl M artin View Post
    Is a Goblin also better spec'ed than a Cobia?

..err I just don't know if I could do that tone of green.
    The green looks much better in person....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My friend got her bikes direct bike assembled at sports chalet for only $40 I think that included a return visit for adjustments. If the bike needs actual service the LBS usually is gonna charge for that.

Rides the Desert
    The Goblin is speced very similar to the X-Caliber which is a $1500 bike. Goblin is a great bang for your buck but the only downside is that you cant try it before buying. You should be able to estimate and get a good fit based on trying bikes in shops then comparing measurnments online.

mtbr member

New question here.

Thanks everyone.

I'll be pulling the trigger on it int he next few days, however, I still have a few more questions. One thing that I plan to upgrade almost immediately are the tires to a tubeless system, but I'm reading the review on twentynineinches.com and they, say, "Airborne should perhaps look at shortening the chain stays a hair, or opening up the rear tire clearances a bit, and preferably both. (Although that is a tall order when you are trying to keep the price of entry low.) In this day and age, looking at a bike that doesn’t support tubeless compatibility is a bit of a downer. The Goblin owner would surely benefit from tubeless tire technology."

Is this bike not compatible with tubeless tires? or what exactly are they saying? Please excuse the newb q's but I'm just starting to learn now.
    Last edited by scatl M artin; 04-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd go with a bike from your LBS since you're just getting into mountain biking. The Trek Cobia is in your budget and it's a very solid bike. You can't go wrong with it.
    "That hat makes you look like an idiot."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Rides the Desert
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynestown View Post
    I'd go with a bike from your LBS since you're just getting into mountain biking. The Trek Cobia is in your budget and it's a very solid bike. You can't go wrong with it.
    Yea, Cobia is great. Color is hit or miss though I personally dont like the red and white