Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Thinking about joining the team

Trying to replace this old MTB I have with something a little newer. It was between the Airborne Skyhawk or Specialized Hardrock. But for less the Airborne offers more specs wise. So I'm pretty set to buying the skyhawk and I'm going to order one in the next few days

mtbr member

Specialized doesn't offer much on low end bikes. I would go with the Airborne as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Exactly. Plus they seem to have an offer for free shipping going on too. I'm thinking the 19" frame (I am 6' 1" 190lbs) would that be right size?

mtbr member

I am 6' with a 32" inseam and 19" large is what I have always measured up to when looking at different 29ers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I am 6' with a 32" inseam and 19" large is what I have always measured up to when looking at different 29ers.

I think we would probably be about the same. Even though this is a 26er I dont think measuring will be different. I'm going to call their customer service tommorow and see what they think for sizing.

mtbr member

Sorry I thinking you said Guardian.

Any reason why you aren't looking at a 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Sorry I thinking you said Guardian.

Any reason why you aren't looking at a 29er?

I personally dont like the handling of a 29er more prefer 26er handling. Plus the faster acceleration is an advantage.

Airborne Product Dude
    Based on the info you gave I would agree that a 19inch Skyhawk would fit best. If you change your mind and consider a 29er, the 20" Guardian would be a great fit.

Don't count out 29ers. If you rode one awhile back a lot has changed in recent years with improvements in tires, wheels, geometries, forks, etc. If done correctly a 29er handles great. There's a reason why so many people never go back after they ride on the extra 3 inches!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree with BoomerBrian and Jeremy. You should seriously consider a 29er.

29ers are faster, more stable, and easier on rider fatigue. You may not be able to flick a 29er around as much as a 26, but the extra stability is well worth it..in my opinion.

Or wait until Airborne comes out with a 650b.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think i'm going to stick with it. I talked to Eric at costumer service to make sure I had the right size in mind. I will be ordering the Skyhawk tommorow evening.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I think i'm going to stick with it. I talked to Eric at costumer service to make sure I had the right size in mind. I will be ordering the Skyhawk tommorow evening.
    Great!!!!!

Two requests.

1. Upload pics of your new bike.

2. Ride the heck out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just ordered it . According to how long it takes others hopefully I will have the bike by the end of next week. I'll make sure to take some pictures when I get the bike.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike. Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Just ordered it . According to how long it takes others hopefully I will have the bike by the end of next week. I'll make sure to take some pictures when I get the bike.
    Like!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My first real MTB was entry level 26 with pretty basic components. I rode it a ton and felt justified in spending more for a significant upgrade.

My current MTB is a nice 29er and I rode it over 1700 miles between March and October.

Enjoy your new bike. Ride the wheels off. Who knows where it will lead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Recieved the bike today, It was very nicely packaged and handled. Bike was much better than my old one after I finally put it all together. I had a problem with the rotor and the caliper rubbing each other on the front wheel so I had to fix that. I'm still having problems with the brake pads needing adjusting, anyone have an easy to follow tutorial to fix this?

Pictures as promised but the quality isnt great as I used my phone:
    Before assembly-
    Thinking about joining the team-9ecff6ca-61d9-4224-905d-a9f8e7239760-9523-000006b857c9d1cc_zpsd6d4db14.jpg
    After assembly-
    Thinking about joining the team-d90fcda5-3e03-4104-baf5-ff443f39ab4c-9523-000006b8518b16ce_zpsd5e73a1d.jpg

All in all the assembly was easy other than brakes and so far I do really like the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looks great! Just received the same bike/size this week... looking forward to getting out on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Now to the not so happy part. I went to take it for a ride today I get on go a few few and try to shift front gears and shifter wont downshift so I undo the cable to see if it was just the tension which it wasn't. Which I had it flipped over at the time as I do not own a bike stand. I'm pedaling the bike to try to shift and notice the rear wheel is not trued which explains my disk brake problems so I checked the front wheel for the same problem and it is not trued either. I will be calling tommorrow for some kind of resolution as I am not a happy person right now but as to seeing how Airborne customer service is very good I don't think there will be any problems. BigDaddyFlyer do you have any other suggestions?

MTB Fanatic
    I'd call them tomorrow during business hours. They'll take care of your problem a lot faster on the phone.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I'd call them tomorrow during business hours. They'll take care of your problem a lot faster on the phone.
    Exactly what I was going to do, its a shame that this was just maybe a bad set, i have read so many good reviews and pleased customers.

Airborne Product Dude
    Give Eric a call and talk to him. Shifting issues are easy to adjust out, it could be a result of just getting banged around in shipping. Although if you've now undone the cable that may have just caused more problems...............

The wheels being out of true shouldn't have any bearing on how the disc brakes work.

Also, word of advice for the future; I don't recommend working on the bike upside down. If you don't have a stand, suspend the bike upright somehow with the back wheel off the ground. This can be accomplished by hanging it by the seat from something or maybe setting the bottom bracket of the bike on top of something.

Anyway, get with Eric today and we'll work it out! Thanks and sorry for the trouble!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I regardless of parts I have nothing but good things to say about these guys. I called Eric who picked up right away and he said he would get me another shifter out in the mail. Apparently wheels aren't always trued but they try (I will probably have to take the the LBS but no biggie). Overall the customer service is outstanding and will do everything they can to please the customer.

mtbr member
    Well Im joining the team in about 4 weeks!! Cant wait to get the XO 29er!!! I can taste it!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You're gonna love it i'm 110% sure of it. The goblin XO or hobgoblin XO whichever you were gonna get they have both been rated well and people love em .

mtbr member
    HobgoblinXO!! Time is gonna be in slow motion for the next few weeks! Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast