mtbr member
    Apr 2013

are these realy adjustable? (rockshox xc 28 rebound and preload)

I think I have no luck with them.

Top left preload knob gives me no differences and when I play with it, it seems turning won't stop. no click sound.
    are these realy adjustable? (rockshox xc 28 rebound and preload)-20130527_024926_zpsa4db7097.jpg

and right bottom rebound adjustment, I have no idear how to do it.
    are these realy adjustable? (rockshox xc 28 rebound and preload)-20130527_020643_zps41bbba7a.jpg
    are these realy adjustable? (rockshox xc 28 rebound and preload)-20130527_024957_zps2832b1bb.jpg

Do I just turn the knob to 90 degree to left or right to adjust rebound?

I know its entry level of rockshox but don't know why do they put adjustments on it.

I tried to find how to do that properly but no luck.

and one more pix before I broke the chain. too much torgue on it.
    are these realy adjustable? (rockshox xc 28 rebound and preload)-1369529473430_zpsd20e7eb4.jpg

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The pre-load adjuster doesn't click on mine, but turning it does affect it. I've dialed mine up quite a bit as I'm a "hefty" boy and I can tell the difference in how the fork squishes - for lack of a better word.
    The rebound adjust is simply quick, neutral, and slow settings of return based on how you turn the lever. I noticed very little difference at first between any of the settings but after breaking the fork in a bit and paying attention to the different settings while riding trail, I've found a setting that works for me and my terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h8pavmt View Post
    The pre-load adjuster doesn't click on mine, but turning it does affect it. I've dialed mine up quite a bit as I'm a "hefty" boy and I can tell the difference in how the fork squishes - for lack of a better word.
    The rebound adjust is simply quick, neutral, and slow settings of return based on how you turn the lever. I noticed very little difference at first between any of the settings but after breaking the fork in a bit and paying attention to the different settings while riding trail, I've found a setting that works for me and my terrain.
    Thanks for info h8pavmt. I keep paying attention cause I think it's still in breakin period.

NeedGod.com
    I was in the same boat as you...couldn't figure out how to adjust it properly. Finally, I just took it apart and looked it over. Do that and you'll have a better idea of what it's doing when you adjust it. I got it adjusted pretty well for the trails I ride and my weight.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I was in the same boat as you...couldn't figure out how to adjust it properly. Finally, I just took it apart and looked it over. Do that and you'll have a better idea of what it's doing when you adjust it. I got it adjusted pretty well for the trails I ride and my weight.
    I just dont understand bottom rebound adjustment.
    Mine was off from fork when I got my Gurdian. Like you see third picture. It was off so I put it in.
    So just turning it 90 degree to left or right is adjusting rebound?
    or Do I need to take the knob out and turn it?
    Last edited by mark729; 05-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    you just turn the knob, don't take it out.

NeedGod.com
    I didn't know it came out. That might be a problem. Yeah, it just turns to the right or left to adjust rebound speed.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    haha mine was off from fork when I opened box.
    I don't know what I did but I think I got screwed lol.
    Anyone know how to go back to default?
    I turned it too much cause I took the knob out and kept turn it to turtle side.
    but stll love my Gurdian.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Like someone stated above my pre-load does change stiffness but it does not click. I have played a little with the rebound adjustment and it doesn't seem to make much difference. However the knob has never come off....I would say that might be a problem.

Airborne Product Dude
    The knob coming off isn't a problem. It's a snap-fit knob, that fits that way because it has to be popped off when rebuilding the fork and removing the lowers. The knobs on the Rebas and SIDs are the same way.

Just pop it back on and go.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I weigh about 200 lbs and I have the preload cranked all the way up. It works fairly well on the type of trails I have been riding, singletrack and ATV trails with lots of roots. However, judging by the dust rings on the stanchions I am using about all they have to offer. I feel like they have been performing well enough, I'll ride 'em until they break.

mtbr member
    There are kits out there for $23 to replace the medium springs with firm springs. Anyone done this?

Resident Gear Head
    I lost my little black knob, is there a way to adjust it with an allen key or do you need the black knob piece? What size is the allen on that piece?
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

What?
    adding preload to a spring does not change spring rate, So you will not notice much a difference when adjusting it. All adding preload does is change the amount of force need for the fork to start moving. Once it starts moving, the adjustment has no effect on the fork. For example, say it takes 500lbs of force to bottom out a fork spring, there is no adjustments that can be made to the spring to change the fact it bottoms out at 500lbs, other then changing to a different spring all together. What the preload does, is compress the spring from the start. Say it takes 20lbs of force to compress a spring 5mm that has no preload on it. If you add 5mm of preload to that same spring, that same 20 lbs of force will no longer compress the spring at all because its already compressed as much as 20lbs of force will allow for. In simple terms, preload set the force needed to start fork movement. Nothing more, nothing less.

rebound controls how fast the fork returns after a compression. It should be set based on the spring rate(Stiffer springs need more rebound damping, softer spring need less). Unless you changed from the stock coil spring, the rebound should be set pretty much in the middle of the range and forgotten about.

hope that helps.