Captain Climber

Is there a difference in the Guardian and Goblin frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post

I know the Goblin frame has a tapered head tube and increased clearance for the rear tire. I'm sure there are more differences than that, but that is all I know of.

EDIT: The following is copied from Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

FRAME: Tapered HT with increased rear wheel mud clearance, increased standover clearance on the 16" frame-size.

mtbr member
    ^what he said. I believe that the guardian has the same frame as the old green goblin. Still a high quality frame, just no tapered ht and less rear wheel clearance. I think that the chain and seat stays on the goblin might be a little beefier than the guardians but don't quote me on that

Captain Climber
    What does rear wheel clearance mean? I'm guessing width so you can fit a fatter tire? I think I've seen what a tapered HT looks like (fatter at bottom and tapers off skinnier towards the top?) but what does that accomplish?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What does rear wheel clearance mean? I'm guessing width so you can fit a fatter tire? I think I've seen what a tapered HT looks like (fatter at bottom and tapers off skinnier towards the top?) but what does that accomplish?

Tapered Head Tubes

Captain Climber
    Thanks Jay! Seems like it is not a big deal either way on the HT for XC bikes? How about the rear wheel clearance?

Captain Climber
    I found my answer on the Goblin frame only page if this is the only differences between the Guardian and Goblin.

The Goblin frame is made from 6061-T6 aluminum with butted main tubes. We've added more mud clearance in the rear so that a 2.2" fits with plenty of room to spare. New for this year also is a tapered head-tube for added steering crispness and rigidity. The headset bearing standard has also been changed to an IS standard ("drop-in"), and we've included a headset with the frame. The bottom bracket shell remains the 68mm threaded BSA standard.

Airborne Product Dude
    Thanks Jay! Seems like it is not a big deal either way on the HT for XC bikes? How about the rear wheel clearance?
    A tapered HT is, IMHO, a huge diffeŗence in regards to steering input and feedback, especially on a 29er. Much like my personal migration toward 29inch wheels a few years back for XC riding, I've also moved all of my personal rigs to tapered HT's. I think the tapered HT makes a bigger difference than a 15mm thru-axle.

The current Goblin frame is much different than the Guardian, with a tapered HT, increased mud clearance, larger stays, and is optimised for a 100mm travel fork.

We have something in the works for another new version of the Goblin frame, but i have to be a little tight-lipped about it at the moment. :-)

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    A tapered HT is, IMHO, a huge diffeŗence in regards to steering input and feedback, especially on a 29er... I think the tapered HT makes a bigger difference than a 15mm thru-axle.
    Your talking Greek to this newbie now? I can't wrap my head around how either the HT or thru axle would do that.

Mud clearance is just like more tire clearance from the frame correct?

Looking forward to seeing he new bike(s). When do you think they will be ready?

TXTony
    Your talking Greek to this newbie now? I can't wrap my head around how either the HT or thru axle would do that.

Mud clearance is just like more tire clearance from the frame correct?

Tapered head tubes provide three major benefits to riders: stiffness, responsiveness and durability. A wider head tube junction leaves room for a larger down tube, enabling engineers to create a stiffer, more efficient pedaling platform. The wider junction also enables us to use forks with stiffer, stronger fork crowns and steer tubes; these forks are less prone to flex, so riders experience enhanced responsiveness and control in the handling of the bike. Tapered head tubes also enable engineers to optimize headset bearings. Oversized 1 1/2" lower bearings are stronger and more durable, and they are better at dissipating loads and handling impacts. Smaller 1 1/8" upper bearings, which experience less load, are lighter. Combined, all of these tapered head tube benefits contribute to a more thrilling ride experience.(Pulled this off the web..but pretty much sums it up)

Captain Climber

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We have something in the works for another new version of the Goblin frame, but i have to be a little tight-lipped about it at the moment. :-)

Jeremy
    Are you talking about that one you showed me or the other one you showed me? Haha! Can't wait for the ______ to show up so I can add one to the fleet.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Are you talking about that one you showed me or the other one you showed me? Haha! Can't wait for the ______ to show up so I can add one to the fleet.
    It's the one I showed you.

We've got a few new models hitting in late July and early August, and then another new model in September. Stay tuned!

In general, we don't revamp our entire line every September/October like other bike companies do. We bring bikes in at different times of the year and some models have more than a year of run with us, generally 18-20 months. That helps us keep costs down rather then dumping "old" models every year in the fall.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    So now I'm wondering if I should buy the Guardian now or what...STOP CONFUSING ME!

LOL, all good info. Thanks.