Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Testing: OneUp Components 42T

I don't know about anyone else, but after riding Alien Run with snow on the ground, I realized that I don't have the gearing (or the legs, or the lungs) to make some of the tougher ascents on the East end of the loop, even with the 30T N/W up front. On my way up to the cliff-face, I was in the 36T gear, leaving me NOTHING for the biggest climb.
    I have been reading up on this wonder, and see a lot of mixed reactions toward this component, so I believe the only real test is to actually get one, and give it a try. As of right now, January shipments are already sold out, so I am not sure of a true delivery date on my purchase.
    One other thing I will be doing is changing out another cog so the jump from 15 to 19 is smoother, probably a 16T from Miche. Of all the reading I have done over the last two weeks, this should make an acceptable change in making the gearing 11-13-16-19-21-24-28-32-36-42.
    People are freaking out over cost, but I figure if I can get that climb in without walking, that is a hundred bucks well spent. Another concern is
    freehub durability using this 42T, as there is more torque on this sprocket than any of the other cogs. Since this is machined aluminum with a 4mm seat, I don't see it being an issue on the freehub, but only time will tell. Once the product arrives, I will update the thread with an install, and give my .02 cents with the overall performance.

Anyone else going to take the leap?

Name:  OneUp-Components-42T-Sprocket-green-3d-front_7_1024x1024.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  51.7 KB
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-05-2014 at 03:05 PM. Reason: My grammar sux
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    I thought about one of these for my 35 pound all mountain bike...I am still going to wait and see what owners say who actually get one of these and install them and get some real time out on the trail with them...the cost is a little pricey but if it works and there are no compatibility issues with certain drive trains I may be in on one...

mtbr member
    As far as compatibility, it will work with X5, X7, X9, XT, and XTR cassettes. Nothing else is listed on the site, so YMMV.

I did get a confirmation on the order, with expected ship date of mid-January. Still very vague, but that is better than getting nothing at all - plus expected sell-out date is 1/4. The black ring is sold out for February, with an expected ship date of TBD. Time will tell, so right now, I am in a "hurry up and wait" scenario. As far as price, sure 100 clams is steep, but not as steep as upgrading to XX1. So far, this is the only component that I have paid MSRP for on the Goblin - they are no longer accepting the discount email code due to high demand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I did get a confirmation on the order, with expected ship date of mid-January. Still very vague, but that is better than getting nothing at all - plus expected sell-out date is 1/4. The black ring is sold out for February, with an expected ship date of TBD.
    Thanks for looking guys. I just wanted to clarify that we are currently taking orders for a 1-Feb delivery of green and a 27-Feb delivery of black. We are not taking orders for TBD ship dates. The demand has been strong as this backlog shows but we're working to get ahead of it.

Shipping info will be updated here as nessesary:

OneUp Components - Free Shipping Worldwide

If you are looking for first hand accounts you can checkout our reviews page:

OneUp Components - Reviews

Thanks,
    - Team OneUp

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been considering this route too. I'm just concerned that my short cage may not work with it. It's an x9 type 2 with a Shimano 11-36 XT cassette. From what I've read it would be close but there should be just enough capacity (31T) to run a short cage on a 1x10. Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    I've been considering this route too. I'm just concerned that my short cage may not work with it. It's an x9 type 2 with a Shimano 11-36 XT cassette. From what I've read it would be close but there should be just enough capacity (31T) to run a short cage on a 1x10. Am I wrong?
    All of the tests were done with long and medium cage derailleurs, nothing mentioned at all about the short cage compatibility. It may be wise to contact OneUp and get their opinion on using a short cage.

Here is a quote from their page:

What rear derailleurs are compatible with the OneUp Adapter?

Most medium or long cage 10 speed mountain rear derailleurs will work. We are working to populate a complete list of preferred models. As with any cassette you need to check that your rear derailleur has enough capacity.

From how it reads, I gather the short cage would not have enough capacity ... but I would still contact them to see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, I saw that page. The total capacity needs to be at least 31 (42-11). Thing is, I'm reading conflicting info on the capacity of a short cage SRAM X9. For a short cage I've read everything from 25T to 32T. If 32 is right, it will work. If it's much less, it won't.

You're right. I should just call them.

mtbr member
    We don't recommend short cage rear derailleurs. They may work on some low chain growth or HT frame designs but will get you into trouble on other full sus setups.

Thanks for looking
    - Team OneUp

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got it. So it is an official "maybe" but not necessarily recommended on my HT 1x10 with an 11-36?

mtbr member
    LOL - well, I guess when you venture into unknown territory, you will never know until you take that first leap. I guess worst case scenario is it won't work, but with the demand for this ring, I don't think it would be difficult to sell it to someone else. There sure is a lot of hate for the green, though...

BTW, is it just me or does it creep anyone else out that OneUp is lurking here? LOL - I can understand though, as I am sure they do not want any misinformation circulating at product launch. Good topic of conversation for the long winter nights!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There sure is a lot of hate for the green, though...

BTW, is it just me or does it creep anyone else out that OneUp is lurking here? LOL - I can understand though, as I am sure they do not want any misinformation circulating at product launch. Good topic of conversation for the long winter nights!
    The green haters must be having some bad St Paddy's Day flashbacks.

As for Oneup's lurkmanship...let me tell youuuu...it'sh freakin me out man. Bet they got info from the NSA, man....Black helicopters...moon landing....JFK....CIA...Cabbage Patch Dolls...toke, toke, Toke, TOKE.

Got chips??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Notwithstanding my last post, I kinda like it when manufacturers have a rep to answer questions on a forum. Seems super responsive.

mtbr member
    I have just received my 11-36 cassette. I am going to install it soon and see how that helps but I will most likely be in the market for a One-UP soon. My bike is green so it will look good and hopefully my wait time will be down. 30 tooth RF NW on the front.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Think it is pretty cool that a company is active with potential custoners on forums.

mtbr member
    Ha ha. Sorry for lurking in the shadows.

We're just looking to answer as many questions as we can about this product. On top of that we can glean a lot of info from you guys to make future products better.

Thanks for your interest. Hit us up at info@oneupcomponents.com if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post

We're just looking to answer as many questions as we can about this product. On top of that we can glean a lot of info from you guys to make future products better.

Thanks for your interest. Hit us up at info@oneupcomponents.com if you have any questions.
    I just did a RaceFace 30T 1x10 on my Shimano XT Shadow Plus setup. I am now thinking about adding the OneUp 42T (and swapping in a 16T for the existing 15/17T).
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

mtbr member
    The green haters must be having some bad St Paddy's Day flashbacks.

As for Oneup's lurkmanship...let me tell youuuu...it'sh freakin me out man. Bet they got info from the NSA, man....Black helicopters...moon landing....JFK....CIA...Cabbage Patch Dolls...toke, toke, Toke, TOKE.

Got chips??
    Hmmm... nope, but I have pretzels!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    Think it is pretty cool that a company is active with potential custoners on forums.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I have just received my 11-36 cassette. I am going to install it soon and see how that helps but I will most likely be in the market for a One-UP soon. My bike is green so it will look good and hopefully my wait time will be down. 30 tooth RF NW on the front.
    Nice! Race Face is doing quite well in the 30T dept, they are getting harder to find at a decent cost.

Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post

I didn't mean it in a bad way - more of a joke, I just found it rather surprising to see such a quick response from a rep on a different manufacturers board. So far, this is the only thread where this has happened - I put up a bunch of components, and OneUp is the only one that has a response. You hear that Crank Bros. - FSA - RaceFace - Garmin - Origin8 - Maxxis - Stans?

BTW OneUp, you can always ship that ring a bit early, it wouldn't break my heart at all!

Airborne Product Dude
    Me too!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Pretty smart on this forum too since we've become spoiled by/accustomed to great manufacturer feedback.

mtbr member
    Pretty smart on this forum too since we've become spoiled by/accustomed to great manufacturer feedback.
    One of the reasons I keep following what Airborne is bringing to the market. When they bring out something that fits my current need or want....gonna snag it. I firmly believe in supporting a company that shows the support they do. Plus there are some really cool dudes on this forum.

mtbr member
    One of the reasons I keep following what Airborne is bringing to the market. When they bring out something that fits my current need or want....gonna snag it. I firmly believe in supporting a company that shows the support they do. Plus there are some really cool dudes on this forum.
    +1 - I think we are in rare company here!

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine as well. (Doing a 1x10 conversion with the narrow/wide 30T and an 11-36). I'm in for the Feb 24 shipment. Can't wait!

(I have an XC bike with a long cage XT shadow plus right now. I'm hoping it'll be compatible.)
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    I just ordered mine as well. (Doing a 1x10 conversion with the narrow/wide 30T and an 11-36). I'm in for the Feb 24 shipment. Can't wait!

(I have an XC bike with a long cage XT shadow plus right now. I'm hoping it'll be compatible.)
    The RD should be just fine, especially being long cage. What cassette are you using?

mtbr member
    The RD should be just fine, especially being long cage. What cassette are you using?
    The Shimano XT CS-M771. It's on their website as compatible, and I actually ordered it before I even heard of the OneUp cog, so I got a bit lucky.
    // Chris - Boston, MA
    // '13 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er
    // '15 Specialized Fatboy
    Metalguitarist.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    The Shimano XT CS-M771. It's on their website as compatible, and I actually ordered it before I even heard of the OneUp cog, so I got a bit lucky.
    NICE! That right there is called serendipity - It is just meant to be on your ride! Be sure to let us know how it all turns out - the more testing we can do the more the lurkers will have the intestinal fortitude to take the leap themselves. Pictures are encouraged as well!

Will you be doing any modification to your cassette? IE - swapping out another cog (15T for 16T, etc.) to make the transition a bit easier?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast