Thread: Tapered fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Tapered fork?

I currently have a Guardian with a 2012 Reba 9mm QR fork and Sun Ringle Charger Pro Wheels that can be converted to a 15mm axle. I'm considering upgrading my Fork to a Manitou Tower Pro with a 15mm Axle, and am wondering if its worthwhile to get the new fork with a tapered steerer and a Goblin frame. I'm currently 230 lbs. and dropping. Does the difference in stiffness merit spending $280 on a new frame as well? What other benefits are there going from a Guardian to a Goblin frame?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I currently have a Guardian with a 2012 Reba 9mm QR fork and Sun Ringle Charger Pro Wheels that can be converted to a 15mm axle. I'm considering upgrading my Fork to a Manitou Tower Pro with a 15mm Axle, and am wondering if its worthwhile to get the new fork with a tapered steerer and a Goblin frame. I'm currently 230 lbs. and dropping. Does the difference in stiffness merit spending $280 on a new frame as well? What other benefits are there going from a Guardian to a Goblin frame?
    The biggest difference between your current Guardian frame and the Goblin frame is the tapered HT. There are some subtle differences in terms of geometry tweaking to optimize the Goblin frame for a 100mm fork versus the 80mm fork the Guardian is built around. Mud clearance for both is about the same.

IMHO, a tapered HT imparts a much bigger difference to handling and steering than a 15mm thru axle. We played around with both last year when developing the latest Goblin, knowing that the $1199 price-point couldn't allow us to have both. In the end the tapered HT won out because it was more noticable than the 15mm axle alone.

If you are buying a new fork, and the extra $249 for the tapered frame doesn't strap you too bad, I would recommend to buy the tapered fork. And since you are "in there already", getting the 15mm axle option is a no brainer. If for nothing else it is a much nicer system to use versus a standard QR. The only drawback I have found personally with it is if you are using a fork-mount roof rack you need an adapter.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Chewbacca on a Bike!
    Pretty sure the guardian has a 44mm ID head-tube so you could try a cane creek external cup on the bottom to allow you run a tapered fork.
    This way you could see if the maxle alone is stiff enough. It will add to the stack height I think 12mm. BDF should be able to confirm the head tube diameter.

40.EC44 BOTTOM

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  8.9 KB
    Last edited by Verbeers; 02-13-2013 at 04:59 PM.

TXTony
    Going to the 15mm thru not a huge jump in performance from the standard QR...just my opinion..having rode them all...going to a 20mm thru axle..yeah you can tell a difference..I think having the tapered HT is a big plus...one of my rigs as a 20mm Maxle and it really has made a huge difference in the way the bike handles and tracks..if I could afford it I would go 20mm on my other FS bikes..but the kind of riding I do on the Goblin the standard works fine...

Airborne Product Dude
    That's correct, the Guardian has a 44mm ID HT.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I'll probably buy a Goblin frame and tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Isn't that bottom cup made for a 44mmID headtube? Thought the Guardian had a 34. Oops. Little slow on the uptake. If the Guardian is 44mm, doesn't that imply it can take a tapered fork? I think I don't understand all I know.

Never mind. I just educated myself on headtube inside diameters. I'll stop talking now. Promise.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 02-14-2013 at 10:26 AM.