Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stem Height?

mtbr member

Stem Height?

I know stem height is a personal preference but I'm interested in how everyone has theirs. I'm thinking of dropping mine down as I feel I'm sitting ton high. The reason I ask is my riding buds have me entering races and was wondering if that helps with control, speed or anything else in that aspect?
    Last edited by Mitch1171; 05-02-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: not fininshed

TXTony
    On my carbon ht I have it slammed down with a flat 0 degree bend bar. Creates a more xc race orientation on the bike. It does give me some more control than an upright position as long as the trail is pure xc stuff without to much technical sections. Down side is my back and shoulders start to feel it after about 1.5 hours. Does it make me faster. I doubt it. More control. Maybe in certain situations. Worth it. Have to try and see if you like it. I hardly ride that bike much and have it set up like that for fast days. All my other bikes I have set up for comfort. I learned from racing road bikes if the bike wears you out it doesn't matter how it is set up. It is gonna reflect on your performance near the end. Keeping comfortable and keeping fatigue and soreness at bay helped me more than anything else.

Airborne Product Dude
    I say lower it and give it a try. I'm an old-skool XC guy so I have always had my stem slammed with flat bars. Only in the past year have I started using slight riser bars (loke the ones on your HGXO) but I still like the stem low. For me the more agressive position feels better, but everyon is different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stem Height?-gevo.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    My SkyHawk feels like a big BMX bike and is so easy to pull the front wheel up in a wheelie. How are the stock Goblin and Hobgoblins at pulling a wheelie or manual?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just a thought. Before moving spacers above the stem how is the stem oriented, Mitch? Angled upward? I believe you have the FSA +/- 6 degree stem.

If so, just flip it so you have a downward angle. Gives you a more aggressive position

If that does not feel right than I would play around with the spacers.

As I recall my XO came with all spacers below the stem so if your Hobgob is similar you have lots of room to experiment.

mtbr member
    Yeah I have put it all the way down and that's to much, but have 1 big spacer under it now and it doesn't feel to bad. Just want to see what it feels like on the trail before I cut it. So ill keep playing around with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I say lower it and give it a try. I'm an old-skool XC guy so I have always had my stem slammed with flat bars. Only in the past year have I started using slight riser bars (loke the ones on your HGXO) but I still like the stem low. For me the more agressive position feels better, but everyon is different.
    Looks like the bike is at the Vet! stainless table LOL

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    My SkyHawk feels like a big BMX bike and is so easy to pull the front wheel up in a wheelie. How are the stock Goblin and Hobgoblins at pulling a wheelie or manual?

It's a little more difficult (or maybe just "different"), but the higher your bars are set the easier it is. Of course, that comes with other handling trade-offs. Generally, 29ers are more difficult to get the front end up (in regards to manuals) due to their overall geometry.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    It's a little more difficult (or maybe just "different"), but the higher your bars are set the easier it is. Of course, that comes with other handling trade-offs. Generally, 29ers are more difficult to get the front end up (in regards to manuals) due to their overall geometry.
    Good to know Jerry! Sorry for the high jack Mitch...

mtbr member
    Good to know Jerry! Sorry for the high jack Mitch...
    It's all good! I don't claim any thread! Is chuck Lennon a soup bowl yet? It's flooded in winter park!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Yeah I have put it all the way down and that's to much, but have 1 big spacer under it now and it doesn't feel to bad. Just want to see what it feels like on the trail before I cut it. So ill keep playing around with it.
    Cut what?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    It's all good! I don't claim any thread! Is chuck Lennon a soup bowl yet? It's flooded in winter park!
    Been raining since Monday night. It has been pouring for the past hour. I bet it is. Suppose to be nice Sunday but will be to wet to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Cut what?
    The steer tube flush with top of stem once I figure out where I want it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why cut. Just rearrange spacers above and below stem. Get it where you want. Say in the future you want higher stem height, guess what you cut so cannot raise. You never know when you may want to change the thing for whatever reason.

Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    There are a ton on mine! Where I have it now there is 4 spacers above. Maybe it will grow on me! Just looks weird!

TXTony
    Try it with the spacers for a bit. As the above mentioned you may decide to go back. Also if you ever decide on a fork upgrade it is a lot easier to ditch an uncut fork. Just a thought. Mine looks weird to but having multiple options to move it around is a huge plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Try it with the spacers for a bit. As the above mentioned you may decide to go back. Also if you ever decide on a fork upgrade it is a lot easier to ditch an uncut fork. Just a thought. Mine looks weird to but having multiple options to move it around is a huge plus.
    Ill hang on to it see if it grows on me! Good point on the ditching did not think about that!

Captain Climber
    Been raining since Monday night. It has been pouring for the past hour. I bet it is. Suppose to be nice Sunday but will be to wet to ride.
    I just woke up and it is still pouring... Oh well.... We needed it.

mtbr member
    I just woke up and it is still pouring... Oh well.... We needed it.
    Clear skies here!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Gotta agree with Tony!

I think I've touched on this as well before, but I always leave an extra 20mm or so of space above my fork because if I cut it to where I normally would, I would effectively eliminate 75% of the potential buyers that might buy my used fork when I move on to the next latest and bestest thing.

If you look at the photo I've posted above of my "goblin-like" bike (), you'll see that there's a few spacers above the stem.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

TXTony
    See if you can find a cheap negative rise stem somewhere. Like a 10 degree negative rise. Will allow you to accomplish same thing keeping the stem above the spacers.

mtbr member
    Ok Ok! Ill leave it! LOL

mtbr member

ok so here is how high the spacers are now on the bike!

I think I like it where it is! Im just worried that it sticks up to high. Looks funky!Stem Height?-img_2511.jpg

Captain Climber
    Looking good Mitch! I don't see any problem with it.

Perpetual n00b

Stem Height?

You could always cut it down so you don't bump your sternum/knees/nuts on it
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast