Thread: Steel Airborne?

mtbr member

Steel Airborne?

Just curious if there will ever be a steel Airborne model? Not that I dislike AL, but a steel Goblin would be sweet.

mtbr member
    No thoughts on steel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Steel Airborne?

I don't know I personally dislike steel because of the weight. I think we should be looking forward to carbon or titanium. With steel or good steel at least it can be more to build than aluminum. So anyway I doubt it will happen
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Product Dude
    As we continue to have success, we are looking at other products/bikes we would like to offer. We white-boarded a lot of ideas a few months back and a steel 29er was on the long-term wish-list.

We've got a lot of product to work thru and get out before that happens, like the gravity bikes and a few other models.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    From a newbie's perspective.. what does steel have to offer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Steel Airborne?

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    From a newbie's perspective.. what does steel have to offer?
    Main things about steel is its heavier but it offers more of a flex than aluminum which is stiff, this is something some people like, I don't know at least from my view. I guess everyone has to like something .
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    A good steel frame will last your lifetime. If it does break, its easily fixed. It has great ride qualities, smoothing out the ride as compared to aluminum. Keep in mind, not smoothing out the trail like a fully suspended bike, but the ride is smoother than aluminum. I will admit that can be a little more difficult to tell on an MTB compared to a road bike though.

Steel is a no brainer in my opinion, cheaper than carbon and Ti, and more durable than aluminum. It's only downside in my opinion is the added weight, but that's a non issue for me personally.

Good to hear that it could happen someday!

TXTony
    I would be down for a steel frame. Had a steel ridged back in the day. Was a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I still have an old rigid steel cro-mo KHS Comp that weighs in at 24.6 lbs. It's been a great bike. I'm looking forward to seeing what Airborne comes up with. I like my Goblin plenty but the steel frame just has a "feel" that I like.

Airborne Product Dude
    What I'm thinking of is a steel version of the Goblin 29er frame, probably as a complete and also a frame-only, with an eccentric BB so that it would allow someone to run it as a SS if they desired. I really want to base it off an ATC for a 100mm travel fork instead of a rigid fork.

Thoughts?
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Good job!

That would be my next bike.

TXTony
    I like that idea for the SS. But I would want to run it rigid with a carbon fork. I would so be all in on a steel frame rig. Having the option to go SS just makes it better.

mtbr member
    Also, yes to the EBB. That would be amazing.

TXTony
    Gun metal grey with od green lettering. Schwing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Steel Airborne?

I think it would go over well, but you could give purchaser and option for rigid or suspension as there is desire for both
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I think it would go over well, but you could give purchaser and option for rigid or suspension as there is desire for both
    The problem with that is to do both right, you'd really need two different frames; one optimized for a rigid fork and one optimized for suspension. I don't want to do two SKU's.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Steel Airborne?

Ahh that's right different head tube stress abilities.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member

Good job!

A steel 29er with 100mm and SS possibilities? I am liking what I am reading. If you need a test dummy for a prototype, I am relatively down the road!

mtbr member

Steel Airborne?

I'm 2-3 miles closer.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367622566.894430.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  22.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is a great idea. If Airborne doesn't do it, someone else should.

Go with a 1x drivetrain for easier SS conversion.

Could also go with swinger dropouts, since EBBs are kind of polarizing. (For the record, I've never had a problem with the EBB on my SIR. But maybe I am just lucky).

Personally, I like the idea of a Reba fork spec, but it seems like a lot of riders are really militant about keeping a rigid fork. Instead, how about adding a nice wheelset that wouldn't need upgrading, like the Black Flags?

mtbr member
    I think as long as it could be SS, suspension would be nice. Running a suspension fork rewards you for your SS efforts!

I do like an EBB, and I have never had an issue with one. Creaking is a non issue as long as you keep the EBB shell clean and greased.

mtbr member
    Interesting!

I built my 853 reynolds steel, rigid carbon fork, XX1 bike this winter. Loved it so much I just sold my Goblin last week. The ride on steel is like a Cadillac versus a Corvette.

Jeremy, don't do EBB. Go sliders instead.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    When I started to look into a 29er HT under $1500 to add to my stable, it came down to 2 bikes: Airborne Goblin and Salsa El Mariachi (either EM2 or EM3). My bike shop was willing to upgrade the Manitou Tower Pro fork (on EM3) to Reba RL for decent price. Spec wise Goblin was slightly better; however, with bike shop discount and not having to pay tax on the EM3 (while I had to pay tax on Goblin), EM3 was only $105 more in price. Ultimately my want to try out a steel frame (even though it would be heavier) won over, and I ended up ordering the EM3. If Goblin was offered in steel, the decision would have been different.

As Zerort points out on the above thread, sliders would be a better option than EBB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    What I'm thinking of is a steel version of the Goblin 29er frame, probably as a complete and also a frame-only, with an eccentric BB so that it would allow someone to run it as a SS if they desired. I really want to base it off an ATC for a 100mm travel fork instead of a rigid fork.

Thoughts?
    Hi there. You offered a lot of insight to me when I bought a used Sky Hag made from Reynolds 853 a while back. Currently, I'm looking to get into a 650b. My thoughts would be for a 650b friendly frame w/ sliders. I see too many sketchy reviews on EBBs. I'm scared of them I know you were talking about a 29er platform so Airborne may not be interested in anything else. I visited the Airborne page here to see if there were any rumblings regarding 650b products from the company.

If Airborne will put out a 650b Reynolds 853 frame with sliders then I will promise you to have one customer right here in me... As far as fork goes, I wish one frame could be built for both although I plan for my next bike be ht and not full rigid. I have the Sky Hag for that

Thanks for all you do!

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeljack View Post
    If Airborne will put out a 650b Reynolds 853 frame with sliders then I will promise you to have one customer right here in me... As far as fork goes, I wish one frame could be built for both although I plan for my next bike be ht and not full rigid. I have the Sky Hag for that

Thanks for all you do!

J.
    Until then you could do what I did and order from Pipedream cycles in the UK. They have a nice Reynolds 853 bike with a tapered headtube and sliders, shipping is $70, and it made it to my door in MI in about 1 week.

I'd buy a 853 Airborne in a heartbeat though. Something in black, silver, and green.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b