mtbr member
    May 2013

Soon to be a Hobgoblin owner..

Ordered the bike on Saturday!

I stopped biking about 8 years ago with the birth of my second child. I am finding I have a bit more free time as they are getting older and thought I would look into an old passion of mine that I let fall off, mountain biking. I was really torn between getting a carbon HT (sette - X7 build) or the Hobgoblin. I think they would both be great bikes but I really wanted to keep this fun as my days of racing are way behind me. So I went with a solid build that should last for quite a few years, the Airbourne Hobgoblin. But who knows where getting back into Mtn Biking will lead, all I know is that I am truly excited and can't wait for delivery and getting rubber on the rocks and dirt of south Texas. My last Mountain Bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 26" that is now 14 years old so fixing that up was prohibitive and I really like the "on paper" benefits of a 29er.

Couple questions:

Would it be wise to shoot for a tubeless setup before I ride or would it be better to wait and see how things handle the first month or so?

Does anyone know the width of the handlebars that comes with the Hobgoblin X7? -- I've always liked the ergonomics of a wider bar and would prefer that comfort to a more compact riding position that a narrower handlebar would bring.

When I moved from Colorado to San Antonio I was given a little pushback from an LBS that I went to for Mechanical maintenance on my old Stump Jumper. Should I look to a larger store like Performance to get maintenance or just spend time shopping my bike maintenance to other LBSs?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ignore the question about the handlebars, I see they are 640mm long. I'll have to measure the width of my old bars to make sure I get a size I am comfortable with.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'd wait on the tubeless conversion and just get used to a "baseline feel" for the bike again.

As for the shop, kinda depends. Was your old Stumpjumper in pretty bad shape and they were just warning you that it may not be worth sinking money in to - or were they just sort of avoiding having to work on an old bike? If you felt they were unreasonable, I'd keep looking. Service is where an LBS should really shine, and there should be plenty of shops willing to offer it.

At the same time, I'd watch some youtube videos on maintenance and pick up a book like "Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance". With the exception of wheel building, most bike maintenance is pretty straightforward.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Soon to be a Hobgoblin owner..

I wouldn't necessarily set up tubeless from the start. Having said that, I am looking at trying to setup the goblin wheels/tires tubeless after having a lot of flats lately (pinch and puncture). I ride in central Texas (Austin and Georgetown). I hope it works.

As far as bike shops, I would just search around until you find one you're happy with. I would also check out YouTube videos and online tutorials on basic maintenance. It's amazing how simple derailleurs can be to adjust.

Captain Climber
    Congrats and good choice! I lived in SA back in the early 90s and would loved to have been into mountain biking then. My parents and sister still live there so maybe I'll make it there with my bike someday.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Was your old Stumpjumper in pretty bad shape and they were just warning you that it may not be worth sinking money in to - or were they just sort of avoiding having to work on an old bike?
    No the bike was well maintained, and had several upgrades, maybe it was because they were a Trek shop and it was a Specialized. They mentioned that the bikes that were purchased there got precedence with their mechanics and that they were very busy. I will just look into finding another shop it just sucks cause its the absolute closest shop to my home. Another bike shop I took my road bike to a few years ago did a horrible job on a mechanical tuneup so I have started to take care of that myself. I'm just a little worried about shock maintenance and anything to do with disc brakes. I had V-brakes down but now I guess its time to learn a little more about taking care of my new bike. Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For the most part, suspension shouldn't require much work. Just keep 'em clean.

As far as disc brakes go, provided you don't need to bleed them (I've never had to bleed a set) they are pretty straight forward. Dialing them in is mostly about patience. Otherwise, replacing the pads is a simple process.

MTBs these days are WAY more complicated than my GT BMX bike was when I was a kid. But, there are so many resources now days that maintaining them can be done by regular guys.

mtbr member
    You'll love the hobgoblin! Its a great climber! smooth on descents also! Congrats and welcome to the Fam!!!!
    Last edited by Mitch1171; 05-23-2013 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Questions about the HG wheelset. They aren't tubeless ready, right?

Has anyone converted them over using a Stan's kit or WTB kit?

mtbr member
    They aren't tubeless ready! I think just the XO bikes are. Never tried any of those kits. If you have a local LBS you can go to they should help you unless your doing it all yourself which rocks too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabola71 View Post
    Ordered the bike on Saturday!

I stopped biking about 8 years ago with the birth of my second child. I am finding I have a bit more free time as they are getting older and thought I would look into an old passion of mine that I let fall off, mountain biking. I was really torn between getting a carbon HT (sette - X7 build) or the Hobgoblin. I think they would both be great bikes but I really wanted to keep this fun as my days of racing are way behind me. So I went with a solid build that should last for quite a few years, the Airbourne Hobgoblin. But who knows where getting back into Mtn Biking will lead, all I know is that I am truly excited and can't wait for delivery and getting rubber on the rocks and dirt of south Texas. My last Mountain Bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 26" that is now 14 years old so fixing that up was prohibitive and I really like the "on paper" benefits of a 29er.

Couple questions:

Would it be wise to shoot for a tubeless setup before I ride or would it be better to wait and see how things handle the first month or so?

Does anyone know the width of the handlebars that comes with the Hobgoblin X7? -- I've always liked the ergonomics of a wider bar and would prefer that comfort to a more compact riding position that a narrower handlebar would bring.

When I moved from Colorado to San Antonio I was given a little pushback from an LBS that I went to for Mechanical maintenance on my old Stump Jumper. Should I look to a larger store like Performance to get maintenance or just spend time shopping my bike maintenance to other LBSs?
    If you haven't got that bike yet you should soon!! We want pics! I'm excited for you you'll love the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Watching the Fed Ex tracker: It left CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA at 2:15 am yesterday. I assume its in transit to Texas right now and hopefully will be at my door tomorrow. That would be better than a cold beer as a reward for a finished work week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Soon to be a Hobgoblin owner..

Is there not an estimated delivery date?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It says Friday, but I am trying not to get my expectations up. I have been let down by expected dates on a few occasions..

Estimated delivery :
    Fri 5/24/2013

7:49 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    Last edited by Gabola71; 05-24-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Dude im excited for ya man! Get some sleep! LOL yeah right!

mtbr member
    Well? Did ya get it yet?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Talked to the delivery guy who came by when I wasn't home this morning, he's coming back around in 20 mins. I'm not leaving for anything. Will post a few photos later tonight. There is bad news tho, we just got an inch of rain here in SA so the maiden off-road voyage will have to be next week when the paths have dried. Who knows maybe it'll dry by Monday.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Soon to be a Hobgoblin owner..-2013-05-24-19.12.31.jpg

And now the deed is done, she has been put together and taken down the street and back. I have seen 29ers in shops before but to have this all up in my face was a bit humbling, there will be a learning curve but the fit is nice and comfy and its as light as my old 26er dual suspension bike. I look forward to taming this bike.

I will be adding more posts as a chronicle of my adventures here in South Texas. I'm not Jerry Hazzard but will do my best if and when I get some good photos/vids.

Captain Climber
    Nice and congrats

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Very nice!

Welcome to the group and Enjoy. Don't let a little rain stop you.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Very nice! Now, get her dirty and photos are always a plus!!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-24 19.12.31.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	802088

And now the deed is done, she has been put together and taken down the street and back. I have seen 29ers in shops before but to have this all up in my face was a bit humbling, there will be a learning curve but the fit is nice and comfy and its as light as my old 26er dual suspension bike. I look forward to taming this bike.

I will be adding more posts as a chronicle of my adventures here in South Texas. I'm not Jerry Hazzard but will do my best if and when I get some good photos/vids.
    Rock on man! Like the rest have said get her dirty!!!! Congrats. You'll love that bike its a great climber!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-24 19.12.31.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	802088

Its...beautiful! Congrats man! Now I kinda wish I would have gone hob as well!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Too funny, thought I would share this interesting fact.

From the @WeatherChannel: Officially 9.57" so far today in San Antonio. 2nd wettest day on record dating to 1885. Only Oct. 17, 1998 (11.26") was wetter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Soon to be a Hobgoblin owner..

Heh, yep. I'm in SA also and it's really coming down. Of course, I've got to ride my Airborne since I got it, unlike you!

I usually ride around McAllister Park if you want to meet up sometime. I'd like to see one of those Hobgoblins - I ride a Goblin.