Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Skyhawk and my Size

5K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  Jem7sk 
#1 ·
Saw you guys have the Skyhawk for sale right now, and it is extremely tempting for $350 shipped. My question is this. I'm 6'2 and weigh about 225 lbs. Would I be better off with the Guardian 29er, or will the Skyhawk do just fine for me? I've never owned a 29er before, only been on 26ers.

#2 ·
I'm no salesman, I'm just the product guy here at Airborne. I'll give you my opinion as a tall guy myself (6'1"-ish).

If you can afford the "stretch" (pun intended!) of funds to get the Guardian, get it. The larger wheels are more forgiving at rolling over obstacles, plus the bike just looks "right" proportionately when you are talking about taller riders like us. Plus with the Guardian you get better shifting components, nicer tires, and a better fork.

In regards to sizing, I'd probably put you on a 20" Guardian unless you have a freakishly short inseam for your height.

Truthfully the 26" wheeled Skyhawk will do just fine for you, but IMHO the Guardian doesn't cost much more and give you a lot more for that extra $$.

Hope that helps a little!

Jeremy

#3 ·
I measured my leg height, and I'm between 33-34". According to the sizing website I found that puts me on a 19-20" frame. Which is strange because my old Trek 4300 is an 18" frame it was way too small for me (or so it felt) but my current Giant Rincon is a 22" and is WAY too big.

#4 ·
That makes sense. The old Trek 4300, with the old way that mtb's used to be sized (with shorter TT's and longer stems) should be small on you. I wouldn't be able to ride that frame either. And if the Rincon is a current design, a 22" frame is huge. With that inseam you are squarely on a 20" Guardian or a 19" (which technically is a 19.5) Skyhawk.

Jeremy

#5 ·
The Trek is probably 7-8 years old while the Rincon is about 4 years old. The Trek was the first "real" mountain bike I ever bought, and it was sized fine when I bought it but I obviously outgrew it, while the Rincon I bought thinking I was going to grow more and I didn't lol.

Here is the exact 4300 I had, color and everything.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

While this is the style Rincon I have, but mine has V-brakes instead of discs.

#6 ·
You could get either. I'm also 6'1" I ride the skyhawk (but I do love it). The guardian is spec'd better for an entry level bike. I personally chose the skyhawk because I like the advantages of a 26er over the advantages of a 29er. Only thing is if you live in a place with trails like mine you will need a fork upgrade fairly quickly due to lack of rebound dampening.

#10 ·
There are many topics fighting about it and i don't intend on making this one but. Main difference between the two is 26" can accelerate faster and most of the time handle with more precision. While 29" rolls over lager objects and can move faster when up to speed. It all depends on what you want out of the bike.

#13 · (Edited)
No ride yet because it's snowing, but the guy at the bike shop said definitely I want a 29er, and he says I should get a 21" frame. Now I sat on a 19" and it wasn't bad but coulda used a bit more seat post, so I think a 20" will do just fine. There was a specialized hard rock there with hydros for $640, but I'd still be walking out the door for over the price of the guardian with tax added on. Plus it only had an Acera rear deraileur and an XCT front fork.

#16 ·
I JUST ordered the Skyhawk, but am now wondering if I should have gone with the Guardian...and just not told the fiance' about the price, lol. I'm curious to see how you like the Guardian for sure.

**Edit...** I now see that the 18" Guardian, which I would need, is out of stock anyway. I'm not too interested in waiting, I want to get on the trails YESTERDAY. Skyhawk it is for me.

#20 ·
You probably already got your bike (hopefully), but I got my Skyhawk on Tuesday. Oddly, I was told the standover on the 18" frame was 30" and my old bike is 30.5", so I figured it should be fine for me (I am 5'8"). Well, due to the angle of the top bar, the Skyhawk is most definitely taller and could pose problems for some guys, if you know what I mean. At your height, I am sure it's not an issue. Enjoy, fellow Skyhawk owner!

#31 ·
Not much sand in Mo at all, this trail was along the Meramec River. It was my first time being there and I was shocked by the sand myself....especially when I hit it at 10+ mph...lol

I don't like Fedex, but they treated my bike well. Hopefully you have the same luck!

#38 ·
Unless I don't understand the problem correctly, you shouldnt be doing anything to the wheel to fix a break issue. The rotor is attached to the hub. Adjusting the spokes won't true the rotor if its rubbing. You can usually use an adjustable crescent wrench to bend the rotor slightly to get it into true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.