Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Single speed based on goblin frame?

Couldn't find on website

Airborne Flight Crew
    There's guy on Flight Crew that I think converted his Goblin to SS, I'll see if I can get him to chime in...
    Last edited by jhazard; 04-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Dan, the Flight Crew Member doesn't have access to his lappy, but gave me this info to pass on:

" I love SS bikes. I have had a bunch over the years. When I took delivery of my Goblin I knew one day that is what I wanted it to be. I went the basic rout just converting my hub to run a single ring with spacers. I used a wheels manufacturing kit that any LBS will most likely have in stock. It came with a 16 tooth cog based off a 26" bike gear ratio. I would spend the money and move up to a 18 or 20 tooth. It will be a much easier gear to pull. Unless you are a monster or live in a super flat area you will be glad you did.

Up front I went with a 34 tooth raceface ring. A 34 or 32 tooth chain ring is the sweet spot up front. Now with any SS conversion you with vertical dropouts you will need to run a tensioner. I use the DMR STS. You can find them online for about 20 bucks. I have used tons of different kinds and the DMR seems to be the strongest. It is a little tricky to set up if you have never used a tensioner but its worth it IMHO. I like it because you can run it above or below the chain to take up the slack. Sometimes because of the vertical dropouts you need to add a half link to the chain. This is also a easy find at your local bike shop. I love my Goblin set up as a single. It's light, fast, and most importantly FUN!!! Hope this helps. Maybe if you ask really nice Jerry will post up some photos of my setup.

Cheers!
    Dan"

The Goblin SS as she sits:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single speed based on goblin frame?-goblinss.jpg  

Last edited by jhazard; 04-05-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Looks good. Would love to see the back bracket and tensioner a little closer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here's a link to a SS Guardian. Same frame and some good close up pics.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Here's a link to a SS Guardian. Same frame and some good close up pics.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes
    You know? I really would like a true single speed instead of having to modify a geared frame. It's just me, but the main reason I switched from a geared bike to single speed is I wanted to get way from excess equipment like a tensioner and derailleurs.

If airborne would make a true ss, I would very likely buy it instead of the specialized carve sl I'm considering

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Bump for bigdaddyflyer

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion.

At this time the demand for a SS Goblin is not great enough for us to tool up for a SS version of the current frame.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.

At this time the demand for a SS Goblin is not great enough for us to tool up for a SS version of the current frame.

Jeremy
    Fair enough. Considering all the mods I've seen people making on your bikes to ss,I thought I would ask. Guess ill be buying specialized Agee all

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Looks good. Would love to see the back bracket and tensioner a little closer.
    Here are is a thread with some closeup photos of my single speed conversion on my old bike - should help if you are not sure what goes where when using the conversion kit:

Please help me convert my mountain bike into a singlespeed
    Last edited by getagrip; 04-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Fair enough. Considering all the mods I've seen people making on your bikes to ss,I thought I would ask. Guess ill be buying specialized Agee all

The Carve? For a hundred dollars more, you actually get less. Vertical dropouts, makes gearing a bit of a task, and a rigid carbon fork -nothing wrong with that, if that's what you're really after. But it's not like a SS-specific frame...

For $100 less, the Goblin comes with a complete gear range/front and rear mech., and a really decent suspension fork. You could get a SS conversion kit and still be ahead of the game (save for the carbon fork... but you could always ditch the Reba and use the proceeds towards one).
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If I had to chose between the SS Carve and converting a goblin to SS i would go Goblin and use a Eccentric bottom bracket. much much better bike.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Yeah, I mean to each their own, I'm not "dissing" anyone. If you want a dedicated singlespeed, and only that, I guess the Carve makes sense (it does have an eccentric bb - so much for "less equipment" like tensioners).

But I can't see spending that coin to get so "little". Goblin seems like a much better starting point where you can go either way, and much greater value.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website