Thread: Shipping

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Shipping

Good morning, Jeremy. I see you are up early.

Just wondering, ordered a Goblin XO Wed. Never got a shipping notification. I am thinking I'll get one tomorrow. Are you aware of any delay in Goblin XO shipping?

Thanks.

Have a great day.

BTW: at the risk of being flamed I have a non-Airborne question.
    We spoke on the phone about tubeless vs tubes. I understand that tubeless allows for lower pressures and there fore a more compliant ride. I imagine this translates into comfort as well as more traction on steep hills and technical terrain.

However if running a cross country race don't we want the least rolling resistance (greater speed)? That would mean higher pressure which means less tire surface area contacting the road.

In this case it could be tubes or I suppose tubeless at higher pressure.

Advantage of tubeless at higher pressure would be no stopping to change a flat during a race. I think this scenario is perhaps the only one where tubeless truly shines.

Any thoughts on this deep question early on a Sunday morning.

Dr. Jay

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Good morning, Jeremy. I see you are up early.

Just wondering, ordered a Goblin XO Wed. Never got a shipping notification. I am thinking I'll get one tomorrow. Are you aware of any delay in Goblin XO shipping?

Thanks.

Have a great day.

BTW: at the risk of being flamed I have a non-Airborne question.
    We spoke on the phone about tubeless vs tubes. I understand that tubeless allows for lower pressures and there fore a more compliant ride. I imagine this translates into comfort as well as more traction on steep hills and technical terrain.

However if running a cross country race don't we want the least rolling resistance (greater speed)? That would mean higher pressure which means less tire surface area contacting the road.

In this case it could be tubes or I suppose tubeless at higher pressure.

Advantage of tubeless at higher pressure would be no stopping to change a flat during a race. I think this scenario is perhaps the only one where tubeless truly shines.

Any thoughts on this deep question early on a Sunday morning.

Dr. Jay
    I can help you with the tire question. Yes tubeless allows you to get a lower pressure with out pinch flats like you would get with the tube. If you are someone who wants to run below 35-40 psi tubeless is the way to go and the lower pressure will give better grip overall. I would imagine as long as you have what psi is printed on the tire and not over it you shouldn't have a problem blowing the tire bead off the rim. I see plenty who run tubeless and im not one of them ..... yet, unless I keep getting flats then ill consider it . I never see anyone having serious problems with tubeless. You'd also for a race want to look for a faster tire such as those specifically made for racing which i'm sure you know helps your speed.

Hope this helps,
    sfb12

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I can help you with the tire question. Yes tubeless allows you to get a lower pressure with out pinch flats like you would get with the tube. If you are someone who wants to run below 35-40 psi tubeless is the way to go and the lower pressure will give better grip overall. I would imagine as long as you have what psi is printed on the tire and not over it you shouldn't have a problem blowing the tire bead off the rim. I see plenty who run tubeless and im not one of them ..... yet, unless I keep getting flats then ill consider it . I never see anyone having serious problems with tubeless. You'd also for a race want to look for a faster tire such as those specifically made for racing which i'm sure you know helps your speed.

Hope this helps,
    sfb12
    I agree. Lower pressure = more tire surface area contacting terrain which would give better traction. However doesn't the lower pressure just slow you down as the resistance is greater? I am not suggesting that one need to go all out. Myself on technical stuff I go slower so speed is not an issue. So here is another area where tubeless may be a better way to go. Sort of like watching Big Foot (the vehicle, not the ape ) crawl over stuff.

For everyday relatively smooth trail stuff where grip is not an issue I'm thinking tubes.

As an alternative to lower pressures why not use a different tire which is more "knobby" such as Kenda Nevagal ?

Lots to learn.

mtbr member

Shipping

I find lower pressure doesn't slow me down. More tread on the ground allows me to carry more speed into turns. On dirt I think the benefits of lower pressure is greater than possibly adding some resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shipping

I'm interested to know when/if my goblin shipped out on Friday as well. I ordered Wednesday also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I'm interested to know when/if my goblin shipped out on Friday as well. I ordered Wednesday also.
    Trevor: Cannot wait , can you ? Not sure if Jeremy can check on this today just thought I'd post it.

Is this your first 29er ??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I sure can't wait. It is my first 29er and will actually be my first mountain bike that should fit me. My current one is a hardrock sport disc 26er with a 15" frame (bought it at a pawn shop for $150 when I was in college to get around campus). I then got into the sport and the small bike has been pretty uncomfortable (I'm 6' with a 34" Inseam). So I am pretty anxious about getting the goblin.

Is this your first 29er? If so, I am jealous of the xo although I'm not sure that I need that much bike, but I would take it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I sure can't wait. It is my first 29er and will actually be my first mountain bike that should fit me. My current one is a hardrock sport disc 26er with a 15" frame (bought it at a pawn shop for $150 when I was in college to get around campus). I then got into the sport and the small bike has been pretty uncomfortable (I'm 6' with a 34" Inseam). So I am pretty anxious about getting the goblin.

Is this your first 29er? If so, I am jealous of the xo although I'm not sure that I need that much bike, but I would take it!
    U get the 20 inch frame? I do have a full sus. just had to get a hardtail.

The XO is more than i really need but I'm treating myself for my birthday.

The Goblin will be just fine for you. Why the hardtail instead of full ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Yes I got the 20", what about you?

I got the hardtail because I'm used to riding them and never needed a FS. I do ride a lot of rocky technical terrain so I could see the use for one. I'm also 24 so I don't need the extra suspension now. I think in the future I will probably own one. I like the look of the hobgoblin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yes I got the 20", what about you?

I got the hardtail because I'm used to riding them and never needed a FS. I do ride a lot of rocky technical terrain so I could see the use for one. I'm also 24 so I don't need the extra suspension now. I think in the future I will probably own one. I like the look of the hobgoblin.
    5 11 31 inseam. Went with the 18

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    5 11 31 inseam. Went with the 18
    Thats the right size. I'm 6' 1'' 32" inseam and I have a 19.5" skyhawk which is plenty good for my size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It will be interesting coming from a FS bike.
    I imagine a very different feel. Probably have to change my technique a bit. Time to get out of the saddle.

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey, Dr. Jay, I know your bike shipped out friday and we are in the process of sending out tracking numbers this morning. Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey, Dr. Jay, I know your bike shipped out friday and we are in the process of sending out tracking numbers this morning. Thanks!

Jeremy
    BDF:

Appreciate the reply. I feel like it's Christmas eve.
    Look forward to the first ride on Friday.

Jay

Airborne Product Dude
    Sorry I missed this earlier this morning. What's your order#? I can check it for you.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Found it. It shipped. Let me know if you didn't get your trackin# earlier today via email. Thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I did get it, thanks Jeremy. Looks like you guys switched to FedEx? If I remember correctly, it said UPS during checkout.

Airborne Product Dude
    No, it's said FedEx for the past month or so. We switched back to FedEx after a trial 2 month run with UPS. It just wasn't working for us.

Thanks!
    Airborne Dude.