mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Seeker reviews???

Not many people talking about this bike and I can't find a single review on the Internet. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good review? I ordered mine Saturday, but it hasn't shipped yet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The reviews for the Goblin are pretty much applicable. Its the same frame, but really, what do you want to know? I've got a couple hundred miles on mine, on varied terrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've read some of the Goblin reviews but it has better components. I'm interested in how well the X5 stuff holds up. How about the Recon fork? Brakes pretty responsive? Any regrets in not going ahead and getting the Goblin?

mtbr member
    I can give you my opinion:
    I've had a Iron Horse mountain bike since 2007 and am what many consider a "weekend warrior". I'm probably considered an average rider, ride local mountain bike trails. I don't do organized races, but ride as hard as I can every single time I go out. I want it to be a good workout, not just put around.

Even though I'd never ridden a 29 they didn't appeal to me, and I thought they were just a marketing ploy, just another way to sell bikes. Some of friends recently moved from 26 to 29's and thought they noticeably climbed objects better.

So I began looking at various brands of 29's on the internet. I just took delivery of a Seeker this past Saturday and took it out yesterday for its first 10-12 mile trail ride. Everything was an A+ except for some noise in the rear disc brake. I think it's just seating-in and the noise should subside. It shifted well, the shock was smooth (set at 135 psi, & rebound medium), and it did seem to clear ramps, jumps, logs, smoother and easier. I bought the Seeker mainly for its price point/components vs. other bike that appeared higher priced for the same components. My friend's bike has the same frt. fork and derailer components and his bike (full-suspension) cost $1,400.

Let me just guess: you WON'T be disappointed at all.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by okieff2218 View Post
    I've read some of the Goblin reviews but it has better components. I'm interested in how well the X5 stuff holds up. How about the Recon fork? Brakes pretty responsive? Any regrets in not going ahead and getting the Goblin?
    Not even a little. The X5 stuff is fine. I broke the rear derailleur by trying to pedal through a stick that got sucked up into the chain but I would've broken an X0 derailleur too... I went to X7 because I believe in upgrading if you break something. It was a lot cheaper than replacing an X0 derailleur.

Brakes are fine, even though I'm 250lbs riding weight. Could they be better? Sure. As a timid rider in technical stuff I do heat them up a bit, but they are more than serviceable and do the job perfectly well. They also accept up to a 203mm rotor and that would help my specific issue. But I haven't spent the $30 on the rotor yet because they do just fine. Quite honestly, they feel better than the X0's on my buddies bike.

Same with the recon. Mine is holding up perfectly fine. I run it at 160psi and the dampening one click off of the max rabbit (that's a technical term, btw.) It flexes a little with me riding it, but so does my friends Reba TL Ti.

I've bombed fireroads at 30mph with series of jumps in them, over baby heads, down tight, root filled, switchback single track, off of (small) dropoffs, bermed downhill runs, steep, technical climbs... I love the bike. I have no regrets. The only thing I feel like I'm missing is a 15mm MAXLE and a light wheelset... but honestly, I am doing just fine without either of those and the bike certainly does not hold me back. The price point allows for those upgrades as time goes on, if I really need it. If anything, it makes me a better rider.

The only thing I found that I needed to change fairly immediately was the front tire, and to flip the back tire around. My location dictates the need for a more aggressive tire on the front in the fall as things get wet and stay wet for the remainder. I would've done the same on a Goblin. The Ikon tires are fine (just like the AKAs) but I run something more like an Ardent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear! The wait is going to be even harder now. I put my Specialized on Craigslist and it sold in one day. Wasn't expecting that! We've had some perfect riding weather lately and I've been without a bike since Saturday. Really appreciate all the info!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by okieff2218 View Post
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear! The wait is going to be even harder now. I put my Specialized on Craigslist and it sold in one day. Wasn't expecting that! We've had some perfect riding weather lately and I've been without a bike since Saturday. Really appreciate all the info!
    Anytime. Feel free to PM or ask anything. Remember that it will take some fine tuning just like any other new bike once the cables stretch and everything settles in. The more you ride it, the more you'll like it. Each ride I go out I like it more and more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank2Go View Post
    I can give you my opinion:
    I've had a Iron Horse mountain bike since 2007 and am what many consider a "weekend warrior". I'm probably considered an average rider, ride local mountain bike trails. I don't do organized races, but ride as hard as I can every single time I go out. I want it to be a good workout, not just put around.

Even though I'd never ridden a 29 they didn't appeal to me, and I thought they were just a marketing ploy, just another way to sell bikes. Some of friends recently moved from 26 to 29's and thought they noticeably climbed objects better.

So I began looking at various brands of 29's on the internet. I just took delivery of a Seeker this past Saturday and took it out yesterday for its first 10-12 mile trail ride. Everything was an A+ except for some noise in the rear disc brake. I think it's just seating-in and the noise should subside. It shifted well, the shock was smooth (set at 135 psi, & rebound medium), and it did seem to clear ramps, jumps, logs, smoother and easier. I bought the Seeker mainly for its price point/components vs. other bike that appeared higher priced for the same components. My friend's bike has the same frt. fork and derailer components and his bike (full-suspension) cost $1,400.

Let me just guess: you WON'T be disappointed at all.
    I come from a similar situation and echo the same feedback. One suggestion for the OP is to check reviews on the SRAM components - comparing the X5 to the X7... and comparing the two different fron forks. I did that and couldn't find enough of a difference to justify the extra $$$ for the Goblin (I believe the frame is the same but a different color). I also prefer the color of the Seeker over the Goblin... and I'll say that it looks even better in person.

@Crank2Go - I had the same rubbing sounds from both front and rear discs and was able to eliminate it with some minor adjustment. The back was constant rubbing and the front was rubbing just a bit on each revolution. There are videos on adjusting disc brakes but what I found easiest was to loosen the two 6mm bolts that hold the brake assembly to the frame/fork and eye the alignment of the rotor inside the brake with a light underneath. I did this by slowly spinning the wheel and tightening each bolt slowly while moving the brake assembly slightly back and forth. You see the disc inside the assembly and need to adjust until it is centered throughout a revolution of the wheel.

There may be a bettter way to do this but the way it was suggested on a couple of videos I found didn't work and this way took me about 5-10 minutes per brake. There is no rubbing on either brake for me now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I did the same thing iMTBike. I researched and compared each part separately and when it came right down to it, I chose the Seeker over the Goblin because of the paint job. Probably a noob move, but hey, a guys gotta look good when he's getting passed by ugly bikes! Lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    @OKIEFF2218 So how do you like your seeker?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyLinksystems View Post
    @OKIEFF2218 So how do you like your seeker?
    So far so good! I've only had a chance to put about 50 miles on it, but I don't have a single complaint. Shifts great, rides great, brakes great! I can't see how I would be any happier with a $2000 bike than what I am with this one. It is beyond adequate for riding any trail in this area. If I just had to nitpick something it would be that I'd like narrower handlebars and a softer seat, but those are both personal preferences. I never realized how cheap my old Hardrock looked until I got this bike. It's an absolutely beautiful machine and feels rock solid. Also, the guys at Airborne are top notch with customer service. It was delivered with a bent hanger, but after an email informing them of the problem they shipped me two of them no charge. If you're a recreational rider that might do a couple of "for fun" races a year, I see no reason why you wouldn't love this bike.

mtbr member
    I bought my Seeker just a little over a month ago. I have yet to hit the trails but i have put a good 150 + miles riding the street. I've hit some serious staircase action. So far so good. Its taken some getting use to. I'm coming from 1995 GT rebound. The recon fork is super plush; so, I'm trying to get that fine tuned. I heard someone on the forum complaining about some cassette wobble. I have it to too, I don't really think its anything major.

Captain Climber
    Are you sure that wobble is not just the ramps built into the cassette to guide the chain to the next cog when shifting? I thought I had a wobble and then realized it was the design of the cassette ramps.

mtbr member
    It hasn't really been an issue because shifting is just fine under normal circumstances. I've been here and on YouTube, most people blame the hub body for the wobble. There's tons of videos out there showing the wobble even on way better quality hubs. That's the only thing that concerns me but only time will tell. Here is a link to the hubs
    QUANTA Bearing Mountain Bike Hub KT-SR6, View mountain bike hub, Product Details from Shenzhen Shiduoli Hardware Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

mtbr member
    Cassette wobble too, but it is a normal thing - if you have shifting issues, check your rear derailleur hanger to make sure it isn't bent.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.