mtbr member

Seeker rear wheel Rubbing

The rear wheel on my Seeker keeps rubbing. I have to take the quick release out and re adjust it, tighten the rear QR almost as much as I can to make sure it stays in place. But, whenever I am riding it moves for some reason and goes back into the position where it is very close to the frame, and at high speeds I can hear the tire barely rubbing the frame when I apply the brake.

Any solutions? I can post pictures, but I basically explained the problem.

Airborne Product Dude
    The QR may need to be tighter. Also, check to ensure the wheel is true and the spoke tension is still tight.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The QR may need to be tighter. Also, check to ensure the wheel is true and the spoke tension is still tight.

Jeremy
    The rear QR is really tight, wheel is not completely true but it should be ok. Tension is tight on the spokes. For some reason it just likes to be in a certain groove down there, not sure what to do.

MTB B'dos
    It has vertical dropouts, there is no need to "adjust" the position of the wheel, like you would with horizontal dropouts -just put the wheel in until both sides of the axle are resting firmly in the dropouts and tighten the QR. If you don't know how to tighten the QR properly, then go to a shop and ask them to show you. Please post photos, I'd be very interested to see WTF you're doing
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    It has vertical dropouts, there is no need to "adjust" the position of the wheel, like you would with horizontal dropouts -just put the wheel in until both sides of the axle are resting firmly in the dropouts and tighten the QR. If you don't know how to tighten the QR properly, then go to a shop and ask them to show you. Please post photos, I'd be very interested to see WTF you're doing
    haha I know how to tighten a QR man. It is all the way tightened. I even went to the shop to show them, they did the same thing I always do. Wheel sat properly while it was there, next ride I went on, pops out a bit half-way through the ride and I can tell there is a bit of rub. Ill take pictures later and show you guys.

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey Rock,

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to tighten a QR so I hope you didn't take it that way. Its just that I have found in my own experience that, in general, 29ers with vertical dropouts do need to have the QR's very tight, sometimes tighter than you think they should be. This is because the BB is located below the axle line due to the larger wheels, and so not only is there force pulling the rear wheel forward (which isn't an issue with vertical dropouts), there is also a very small amount of force trying to pull the wheel downward. It's not a great deal, but the rear wheel can be pulled down on the drive side on a 29er if the QR isn't good and tight. I hope that makes sense.

If you are running the stock tire size, the rear wheel is true, and the QR is really tight, then I suggest you shoot an email to Eric at support@airbornebicycles.com and work it out with us. We'd be happy to help you figure out what's going on.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey Rock,

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how to tighten a QR so I hope you didn't take it that way. Its just that I have found in my own experience that, in general, 29ers with vertical dropouts do need to have the QR's very tight, sometimes tighter than you think they should be. This is because the BB is located below the axle line due to the larger wheels, and so not only is there force pulling the rear wheel forward (which isn't an issue with vertical dropouts), there is also a very small amount of force trying to pull the wheel downward. It's not a great deal, but the rear wheel can be pulled down on the drive side on a 29er if the QR isn't good and tight. I hope that makes sense.

If you are running the stock tire size, the rear wheel is true, and the QR is really tight, then I suggest you shoot an email to Eric at support@airbornebicycles.com and work it out with us. We'd be happy to help you figure out what's going on.

Jeremy
    I didn't take it like that at all Jeremy, Thank you though. The tired are 2.1 ground controls. Fir done reason the bearing is getting dismounted during the ride and making the wheel and tire shift outwards on the non drive side.

Pictures will do more justice, I'll have them up in the afternoon. Thanks for the quick response Jeremy.

Airborne Product Dude
    No worries, you're welcome.

Please send the emails to support@airbornebicycles.com and lets figure it out that way together.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Broken axle maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any pics to share? I just ordered my Seeker today and would like to know what is happening here.

Airborne Product Dude
    We think the axle may have broken, and we are dealing with Rocke directly to work thru the issue. Thanks.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Be safe Rocke and wait until you get it figured out before riding it again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyLinksystems View Post
    Be safe Rocke and wait until you get it figured out before riding it again.
    Thanks man, I will. Jeremy and Eric are both doing a great job at getting me back on the trails as fast as possible.

BodyLinksystem, you will love your seeker man. Mine is always in my car, so even if I have 45 minutes to ride, I go rip it up.

Welcome to the club bud

mtbr member
    Just wanted to let everyone know Eric and Jeremy got me sorted out and back on the trail within 4 days, new parts were delivered and the bike feels more dialed in than ever. Awesome customer service guys, Thank you again.

Hamza Rahman

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Congrats Rocke! They also got my new hub to me within a few days. Couldn't have asked for more from them
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Glad you got it taken care of. When my axle broke, it was similar to how you described it. I especially noticed rubbing on hard uphill climbing. I was able to tighten the QR and make adjustments which seemed to fix the problem. It just never seemed as smooth as it should be. When I took it in for its end-of-season tune, they found the broken axle.

Crazy thing is just how well it ran even with the axle in two pieces. Like Jeremy said, the engineering in these systems is pretty robust.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How do you break an axel? Were you guys doing big jumps or dropping off a cliff?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nope, but I had forgotten to remove a Burley cart F bracket from my skewer when I went out on some small drops. My mech suspected that it could cause abnormal strain on the axle because the force applied by the skewer on that end is spread out which reduces its ability to hold without sliding. It was the only time I forgot it on there and that was the time it broke. So I figure it's reasonable to suspect causation. I told Jeremy that this is what happened and that my bike was past its warranty but he still mailed me two chromo axles and end caps for free....very generous I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What is a burley cart f bracket?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Seeker rear wheel Rubbing-hitch_large.jpg
    It is just an F shaped hitch bracket for attaching a Burley cart to a bike. It is attached at the skewer.

Name:  solo_angle.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  68.5 KB