mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Seeker or Guardian?

About to buy my first for real MTB. I REALLY like the price of the guardian, but I REALLY like the specs of the seeker (especially the rockshox fork). what can i do with the seeker that i can't do with the guardian (types of trails, jumps, etc.).

Airborne Flight Crew
    They are both intended for usage as an XC trail bike, you can ride the same trails on a Seeker that you can on a Guardian, except you'll enjoy a better parts spec. I've found bikes to be a bit like cameras - get the best you can afford at any given point. It saves on upgrades later on... but if you're budget is more strict, the Guardian really rips.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There isn't really anything you can ride on a Seeker you can't ride on a Guardian. The fork on the Seeker is definitely better though...I'd say if you don't weigh much you can go for the Guardian, if you weigh a little more go for the Seeker. The XC28 fork on the Guardian is known to be flexy which would be more of a problem if you're heavier.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The fork is the big thing. I was going to go Guardian but do not regret spending the extra money on the Seeker.

EDIT: Either of them will make you happy. Get the Seeker if you can afford it but don't worry if you can't or don't want to spend the extra cash now.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    really depends on how much $$ you have...if you can't afford the seeker, then get a guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by ucmule6 View Post
    About to buy my first for real MTB. I REALLY like the price of the guardian, but I REALLY like the specs of the seeker (especially the rockshox fork). what can i do with the seeker that i can't do with the guardian (types of trails, jumps, etc.).
    This probably the most-asked question we get here at Airborne: Seeker or Guardian?

They are both XC bikes, so essentially they will both be ridden on the same types of trails. Neither one is designed to be jumped. Both are great values, and a lot depends on your budget and riding intentions.

If you plan on diving into it full-bore and riding several times a week and are the type of person that likes to personalize/upgrade your stuff, then the Seeker is a no brainer. The air-fork and 2x10 gearing are worth the price gap between the two models, not to mention the tapered HT that you get on the Seeker versus the Guardian. The tapered HT IMHO is nice and really adds to the ride quality of the bike. Plus in the future, it will be easier to find nice fork upgrades in tapered format than it will in standard 1 1/8 inch (the headtube spec on the Guardian).

All that being said, we have thousands of happy Guardian owners out there. It's a lot of bike for the $$$ and the difference between the two models is often untangible for many folks.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thanks all for the feedback! much needed and appreciated.

I am about 6'0 180lbs. I figure I wont put a ton of weight on the fork. But i would like to have good componentry to add to my bank for upgrading later. I'm looking to hit it pretty hard! although i think i need to change my perception of XC trail riding... Reddbull videos are going to be the death of me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Most bike companies put high level shifting components on to mask lower level forks. I'm guessing that this is because customers are still used to using derailleurs as some kind of overall barometer of the level of the bike. But Airborne does the exact opposite. They provide you with a higher end fork and go not crazy-high-end on the stuff that is easily and relatively cheaply changed (shifters, derailleurs).

I like Airborne's approach better because the fork is a major percentage of the value of the bike. For example a Reba lists for $600 and the Goblin lists for $1200.

So my suggestion is to start with the stuff that is hard or expensive to change (frame, fork) and go from there.

Using my approach, the Seeker is a slam-dunk. The Seeker's improvements are all in the frame and fork because the other components are the same (x5 and wheelset). To me, it looks like a far better spot to start a build.

Just my .02 Either way ride it like you stole it because, at Airborne's prices, you d@#* near did!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I faced the same dilemma. The bike was supposed to be for my 15 year old son, but I planned to ride it occasionally. The air shock is easier to adjust for different weights, so I went the with Seeker. Moreover the Seekers color scheme is the bomb.

mtbr member
    Seeker or Guardian?-seeker%2520money%2520shot.jpgSeeker color scheme......discussion over.
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2012
    Airborne Seeker 2013

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah... the Seeker Paint scheme is pretty sweet...

But the white hot Guardian is pretty awesome too...
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Question... this may be a question best suited for a different forum but i figure you guys know whats up. I kinda want to do some bikepacking as well; trail and road. Is the Seeker frame able to put some hybrid wheels on it and maybe some bags?

If this sounds like an ignorant question its because i'm highly ignorant.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by ucmule6 View Post
    Question... this may be a question best suited for a different forum but i figure you guys know whats up. I kinda want to do some bikepacking as well; trail and road. Is the Seeker frame able to put some hybrid wheels on it and maybe some bags?

If this sounds like an ignorant question its because i'm highly ignorant.
    Ignorant people typically don't ask questions or care to find real answers..........so I wouldn't worry about appearing ignorant!

OK, the tires are easy, since the wheels are the same as 700C you could put some larger 32-38c touring tires on there and be fine.

The rack on the rear is a little more complicated. We didn't put rack mounts on the bike, so any rack you would attach would have to use a different method of attachment. I've done this before a few times on the Goblin/Guardian/Seeker frames and also on a Delta frame that used the same dropouts. You need a rear rack designed for use with disc brakes that attaches via the QR. I've used this one before with great success:

EX-1 DISC RACK - Racks

For attachement to the seat-stays you'd need to fab up a couple of small brackets which is pretty easy.

As an alternative to using a QR mount rack, you could use a standard rear rack and get creative by utilizing the open holes at the top of the dropouts where the seat-stays attach. You'd need to pick up a rubber grommet at a hardware store to use as a plug and put the bolt thru the grommet. I've done this also.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    For attaching to the seat stays, look up P Clamps. I've used them on older road bikes for commuting.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seeker%20Money%20SHot.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	853562Seeker color scheme......discussion over.
    Nice bike! But I'm wondering what glass were you using to take this pic? Looks good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Nice bike! But I'm wondering what glass were you using to take this pic? Looks good.
    Thanks man
    35mm AF-S fixed Nikon lens
    Trek Fuel EX 9 2012
    Airborne Seeker 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    Thanks man
    35mm AF-S fixed Nikon lens
    That's a nice lens. Lots of bang/buck ... better get back to the topic I guess

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Re:ignorant question, a guy named Socrates said, "I do not think I know what I do not know"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I appreciate the support! after I graduate here in a couple days, my void-filling purchase will be...

Seeker or Guardian?-yglu9tk.jpg

It is a pretty shnaz color scheme.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good choice! Also good choice in photo to use
    Eric