mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Seeker Gearing Question

I'm seriously considering a new Seeker, but I'm a little concerned about the gearing. It seems to be the only bike on Airborne's website that doesn't list the #teeth on the front chainrings. The goblins and hobgoblins list 38/24. I emailed airborne support and they told me it is 36/22. That seems very "granny" to me. Can anybody confirm this? I'm hoping that was a mistake and they are the same as the goblins. Can anybody who has one comment on what they think about the gearing?

I'm coming from an old school 24 speed 42-24x12-30 on a 26" wheel. If I do my math right, the Seeker's low gear is significantly lower than the lowest gear on my old bike and the top gear is significantly lower than the highest gear on my old bike. This surprises me because I don't think I'd want much lower than the lowest gear on my old bike.

39x26 sounds like it might be the ideal setup(for me anyway). But I think with the x5 crankset, the chainrings can't be swapped without replacing the entire crankset(>$100), right?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They are 36/22, and have chainring bolts so I have to assume they can be swapped, though I haven't tried. I've bashed up my big ring so I'll probably be finding out if they can be changed but I doubt I'll change the gearing. In fact, I rarely come out of the 22 front with the 10 speed rear when I'm on trail, but there is a fair bit of climbing involved on my trails.

I've never found myself spun out on flat or downhill sections for what this bike is designed for. Even taking it on road rides I find 36-11 to be adequate. Its not the same as 50-11 on my road bike, obviously, but I'm not doing road time trials on my mountain bike.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Skyphix, thanks for the reply. I found a website with a gear ratio calculator, and it seems that I was doing my math incorrectly. While I'm not sure how often I'd use that lowest gear, on the high end it is slightly taller gearing than my old bike, so that should be fine. I really only spun out on my old bike on paved or dirt road downhills.

I do think I'd prefer something like the 38/24 and I'm not sure why Airborne isn't using that for the Seeker, but with my math corrected, I'm satisfied that the 36/22 would be plenty functional for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So would the seekers hill climbing gear be easier (more granny) than the goblins?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes. 22-36 is easier than 24-36, but you'd probably notice a lighter tire more than a 2 tooth difference.
    Eric