mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New question here. Seeker Bash Guard?

Do people use bash guards anymore? I toyed with the idea of installing one on my old 26", and am wondering if people put them on the Seeker and Goblin.

I see alot of 1x10 conversion stuff, but no talk of bash guards. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    I dont run one on my goblin for 2 reasons...1. The trails i ride the goblin on dont have too many big rocks or things i will smash my chainring on and 2. Correct me if im wrong but i think the bashguard used to be used as a supplementary source to keep the chain in place. With todays narrow wide chainring technology there is no longer need for bashguards or chainguides with average cross country type riding. Plus im sure some people dont run one for weight reasons but i dont worry too much about that kind of stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There are quite a few bash guards out there. Thing is...I don't know of any that work with 2x setups since the ring mounts to the inside rather than the outside of the spider on them. I'm kind of surprised about this.

Seems like someone could come up with a system where you use the smaller ring mounts for a new ring. Then use the outer ring for an inside-mounted bash. But I haven't seen any. My bike shop mechanic said that the chain will rub on the bash guard set up that way.

So everyone I've seen has just mounted the standard 104 BCD narrow/wide ring on the outer with no bash. Done right with a type 2 RD the chain should stay put. At least these rings are smaller for better breakover angle than the stock ring...