mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Seeker arrived today!

So, my Seeker arrived today and I immediately started assembly when I got home from work. Though this was my first MB assembly and was slightly apprehensive at first, it turned out to be extremely easy. One thing I was not expecting was my automotive tire inflation chuck and pressure gauge are useless. The stem is a much smaller diameter and will not mate with standard tools. This is frustrating, only because I really wanted to ride it tonight. Guess the maiden voyage will have to wait until tomorrow.

To the Airborne guys; Thank you for working with me on sizing and answering all the other various questions I had.

Cheers,
    Ron

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think the Seeker has Presta valves instead of Schradder valves. You need the compatible air chuck. For presta, a rubber hose that is tight enough works fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    HOw do they say? "Didn't happen without pics!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yep... Presta valves instead of Schraders. More common in non-hybrid bikes (since at least 1998... all of my bikes except my wifes 2011 Raleigh hybrid are presta.)

Congratulations. The faster you ride the better the bike feels under you. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Here it is

ariesadel: If I use a rubber hose, will I have to remove the valve core, inflate, then re-install the core? Seems a lot of air will escape in the process.
    Ok musikron, All I have is my camera phone and time to send one pic before my wife forces me to get it out of the living room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeker arrived today!-img_0702.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice looking bike, bummer about not being able to take that first ride.

FWIW, they also make a little adapter ($2) that you can screw on to the presta valve to allow you to use a regular schrader pump.

mtbr member
    The Seekers paint job is just killer! I love that matte gray - but it would look even better dirty! Enjoy that ride!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the paint job is just killer! That was the only thing I wish my Goblin had...then I guess it wouldn't really be a goblin.

mtbr member
    Good point Zombie! I am hoping for a matte neon green with black lettering myself.... OOOH! How about matte black with neon green lettering?

THIS IN NO WAY IS ANY KIND OF HINT....
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just pick up one of these at your LBS
    Stans No Tubes Presta-Schrader Valve Adapter | Chain Reaction Cycles
    My LBS had a tub full of them for 1.50 a piece

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My LBS had a tub of aluminum and brass adapters, guess the aluminum are lighter.
    The big event for the day was converting to tubeless using 1" gorilla tape and Stans. I've rode it a couple miles so far and pressure seems to be holding steady. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Don't be surprised if you lose a little pressure each day.

Not an indication that something is wrong.

Non-tubeless tires will weep a little air. Just check the pressure each time you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    PaveLow: no, you just need to loosen the top of the valve. The higher pressure from the pump will depress the valve and put air into the tire. However, buying the adapter for the valve is a good idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Off topic a bit. My rear brake is rubbing pretty bad, will stop the wheel before a full turn and the front rubs a bit also, but no where near as bad as the rear. Is there a way to adjust them or do I just have to let the pads wear down?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You could try to center the brake calipers first. Here is YouTube link to do it: Adjusting Disc Brake Calipers - YouTube

After centering the calipers, if there's still some rubbing, you could try to rotate the wheel, look at where the rotor and the pad touch and use an adjustable wrench to gently bend the rotor to avoid the dragging.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I loosened the caliper and tried centering as per the link but no joy. It may work slightly better now but still has too much bind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Looking through the inspection hole, the pads never fully retract away from the rotor. There is enough space for them to back away between the caliper housing and the pad, but it seems as though the return spring is not strong enough to pull the pads away from the rotor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It may sound stupid but have you tried to check the alignment of the wheel? You can try to release the QR and make sure that the wheel is centered before closing the QR.

If this's not the case, you can try to use a big screwdriver to spread the pads. Make sure that the screwdriver is clean as you don't want any oil or grease on the pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I double checked the tire centering and it is fully seated.

As for prying the pads apart, I can move the pad away from the rotor with a tire lever easy enough but they creep right back against the rotor.

I did notice there are two screws at the base of the brake lever, one is a phillips and the other an allen head. Do you know if either of these are used to adjust the tension of the handle?

mtbr member

Seeker arrived today!

I am having the same issue.... I was riding the other day when it was 100deg out and the rear brake tightened up so much it drug the back wheel when I pushed the bike...... I had to take the wheel off and remove the brake pads to get back. I have put them back on but they still drag pretty bad and I don't know how to loosen them up yet....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I wonder if the weather has something to do with it? I'm in Arizona and it's been in upwards of 95-100*. Maybe the brakes got a bit of water or air in them during assembly and it expands in the heat. Just an idea.
    I'm gonna keep digging, please let me know what you find, if anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just to close the loop on this. I took the bike to my LBS and the mechanic fixed it in about 10 minutes. He said it looked like the brake was actuated without the tire on or a block in the caliper at some point. He straightened that out, raised the shock pressure and adjusted the front and rear derailers for $10. Guy was real cool and gave me a bunch of advise. He will definitely get more business (and referrals) from me.
    Immediately after that, I went for a 10 mile ride including a run around the bunny loop at Fantasy Island in Tucson. GOOD TIMES!

mtbr member

Seeker arrived today!

Cool, that sounds better.... I stopped by one today too, didn't have my bike though, he wanted to sell me a 50$ brake bleeding kit.