mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Second Ride on the Goblin XO

Still loving the Goblin but it's going to take some time.

Hardtail is great for the hills. No loss of energy to pedal bob. There are a couple of short series of ups and downs that always gave me trouble going up. On my 26 FS tried compressing at the bottom and unweighting but no go. Tried lower gear but no go. I attribute this to a loss of energy with the full suspension. Now with the Goblin it is a breeze. Well not quite but you get the idea. i'm up and over on to the next roller coaster !! Just compress at the bottom and unweight. Great !!

In the rocky tech sections the 29 feels a bit off. With my 26 steering seems quicker but I think it's just a learning process.

Thank you, Airborne for the 660 mm bars. Now I get through the really narrow stuff between trees without having to slow to a crawl and holding my breath.

In my first review I had issues with numb hands. Problem solved. Just moved the saddle back a few m.m. Big improvement.

Biggest issue so far is corners. When i approach a turn with speed the rear wants to break loose and in fact has on a few occasions.
    Not a great feeling to be heading for a pine tree side on. I imagine not great for the rims if I make contact.

I rode mostly sandy areas with a ton of pine needles on the trail.
    Not sure if the problem is the particular tire (Maxxis Ikon) or tire pressure.

At 250 pounds I am running at 40 both front and rear. Never had a pinch flat and don't care to experience it.

So got home tonight and decided "I'll go Stan's"

Way easier than i thought given all the negative stuff I have read (mixed in with positive as well).

Unseat bead on one side, tube out and attempt to reinflate. i had to use CO2 to reseat as my floor pump did not cut it. Than simple matter of unseating an inch of bead, squirt in 2 oz of Stan's and reinflate, this time with floor pump.

After watching all the videos with soap, bubbles, continuous shaking i was concerned. Really simple in my case. When i got to 30-32 P.S.I. a couple of pops and bead was seated. No bubbles.

I imagine the BST technology licensed to Sun Ringle by Stan's helps alot. i would think full ghetto would not seat quite as simply.

So tomorrow I'll run in mid thirties and see how the traction issue is. Hopefully it is a matter of needing to run at lower pressure for my conditions. Don't want to change tires but I know Kenda Nevagal will hold on anything!!

So, in closing I love the Gob XO just going to take time to get used to the different handling. Oh yes, on my 26 no problem lifting front over obstacle . Very difficult with the Goblin. Not sure why but who cares. i'm loving the ride.

Thanks Jeremy and Eric.

Dr. Jay

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It didn't take me very many rides to see the benefit of 29 over 26. I could go faster on the 29 and not be so wiped out at the end.

At first, I was able to get my tubeless wheels to set up with a floor pump. But recently I've had to use the CO2 as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    It didn't take me very many rides to see the benefit of 29 over 26. I could go faster on the 29 and not be so wiped out at the end.

At first, I was able to get my tubeless wheels to set up with a floor pump. But recently I've had to use the CO2 as well.
    Jeff:

Did you initially find the 29er to be less maneuverable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Second Ride on the Goblin XO

I'm not Jeff but I rode my goblin for the 1st time yesterday and I was amazed how different it was than my HT 26er. I would say maneuverability was a little more difficult with the 29er but it wasn't bad. I was able to ride a wheelie which I always heard was difficult on a 29er. I need to take it out to the normal rocky technical trails that I ride to see how it really handles.

So far I am loving it though.