Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

sabre fork upgrade?

I got a 29er rockshox recon 100mm from a friend and i was wondering if i installed this on the sabre, will it mess up the bike geometry? Also i will still be using the 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you cant use a 29er fork for a 26er bike. it's not reccommend but if your friend doesnt mind you could sell it and get some cash to buy a right fitting fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sell the Recon on eBay or here on mtbr.com in the classifieds section. Then buy a 26er fork for your Sabre.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dizwikedcbr View Post
    I got a 29er rockshox recon 100mm from a friend and i was wondering if i installed this on the sabre, will it mess up the bike geometry? Also i will still be using the 26" wheel.
    Yeah that's really going to muck up the geometry on the Sabre and put a lot of extra stress on the head-tube area. The frame wasn't tested to withstand the stresses of such a long ATC.

To echo what others have said, I'd recommend selling or swapping it for a decent 26er fork. Since 29ers have exploded in popularity in recent years the chances are there is someone looking to upgrade their 29er.

There may be a Guardian owner here on the forum that would be interested in taking that off your hands.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks, i figure it would mess up the geometry. I end up selling the fork on craigslist

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    would the sabre be ok with a 100mm travel fork? the guy at my LBS, said i should get the same travel as the factory fork

Airborne Product Dude
    Ideally you would replace the fork with the same travel as what was specified and supplied with the bike. This is because the frame was tested with specific-length ATC (axle to crown) on the frame test machine and passed with that length. If you put a longer fork on there, you are putting a longer lever arm on the front of the bike which will in turn put more stress (than tested for) on the HT/TT/DT junction area.

Will it be OK? With a change of only 20mm-------probably. The ST and HT angles will slacken a bit and the BB height will increase slightly.

Will it void the warranty? Technically yes it will. We didn't test that frame with the ATC of a longer fork so we can't give it a lifetime guarantee as we don't know how the lifespan will be shortened by the extra leverage.

Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For the record, Pricepoint has Rockshox XC28 forks with 80mm of travel on sale for $85. While I don't think these are spectacular, they should be an upgrade compared to what you are currently using.

RockShox XC28 80mm Coil Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    For the record, Pricepoint has Rockshox XC28 forks with 80mm of travel on sale for $85. While I don't think these are spectacular, they should be an upgrade compared to what you are currently using.

RockShox XC28 80mm Coil Fork 2012 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    You are correct they arent spectacular. I think the OP should save some money up and buy a decent fork while sticking to 80mm of travel , such as maybe a rockshox recon gold. It is a good suggestion while on a budget and is an upgrade to these awful suntour XCT forks just stick to saving up and getting something better.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i was thinking of getting the suntour raidon fork from their loyal program for $150

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i was thinking of getting the suntour raidon fork from their loyal program for $150
    If i'm correct you can adjust the travel on the raidon between 80mm and 120mm, but im not sure as I have to order mine later in the week. Email or PM nick from suntour he'll tell you if it will work.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    If i'm correct you can adjust the travel on the raidon between 80mm and 120mm, but im not sure as I have to order mine later in the week. Email or PM nick from suntour he'll tell you if it will work.
    im getting a 100mm recon silver fork from a buddy and he said that i can add spacer to adjust it to 80mm. does anyone know what the average price a LBS would charged to add travel spacers on a fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

sabre fork upgrade?

Disregard this post.
    Last edited by sfb12; 03-30-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Flight Crew
    Spacers are indeed how travel is adjusted inside of forks; the Domain and Reba are both examples. I don't know much about the Recon, but suspect it would be similar.

Did you mean spacers under the bearing race maybe?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

sabre fork upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Spacers are indeed how travel is adjusted inside of forks; the Domain and Reba are both examples. I don't know much about the Recon, but suspect it would be similar.

I didn't think it needed parts I thought it was something you could just change. Boy was I wrong
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Flight Crew
    No worries, sometimes the fork will come with the spacers when you buy them, sometimes not.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

something like this

sabre fork upgrade?-1.jpg

Airborne Flight Crew
    Yep, that's what I getting at
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yep, that's what I getting at
    how much would a LBS charged to add the spacers?

Airborne Flight Crew
    how much would a LBS charged to add the spacers?

You'd have to call 'em. Shouldn't be too much, even though they're opening up the fork, its not like it's a "rebuild" so it shouldn't take too long.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    my LBS charged me 20 bux for the travel spacers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sabre fork upgrade?-img_20130330_175009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    my LBS charged me 20 bux for the travel spacers
    Looks good! How's the ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    feel a lot better than the suntour, the suntour fork was like a pogo stick, i just took it out around the neighborhood and it absorb bumps pretty good, handling and corning feel a lot better, hopefully it i can take it out to the trail this weekend if it doesnt rain. I got the fork for 100bux and i was able to flip the suntour fork for 40, so for 60 bux it was good upgrade overall

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey dizwikedcbr, are your forks set at 80 or 100? And what size frame is your sabre?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor757 View Post
    Hey dizwikedcbr, are your forks set at 80 or 100? And what size frame is your sabre?
    the frame is a 15" and i set the fork to 80mm
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast