Thread: Sabre crank

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Sabre crank

Hey all, brand new to mountain biking and I just picked my girl up a new sabre, the only complaint I have heard is that pedals hit the ground around corners and when there is a hill in the trail. Has anyone else experienced this? The bike is a 17". Does anyone know what size crank arms these are? Also what crankset would be a bolt in swap at a decent price? Thanks for the help!!

Jordan

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor757 View Post
    Hey all, brand new to mountain biking and I just picked my girl up a new sabre, the only complaint I have heard is that pedals hit the ground around corners and when there is a hill in the trail. Has anyone else experienced this? The bike is a 17". Does anyone know what size crank arms these are? Also what crankset would be a bolt in swap at a decent price? Thanks for the help!!

Jordan
    Jordan,

She needs to work on her technique. Pedal strikes are common for beginner riders until they learn when to pedal and when not to pedal. I wouldn't recommend replacing parts to mask a technique issue. Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jeremy, I agree with you 100%! It just seems unrealistically low is all. My kona has 170mm crank arms as well but when I get on the airborne the stroke just feels really long and low. I'm not an advanced rider by any means but I've raced motorcycles offroad for many years so I have learned to read the terrain pretty well. Ill try and give her some pointers.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor757 View Post
    Jeremy, I agree with you 100%! It just seems unrealistically low is all. My kona has 170mm crank arms as well but when I get on the airborne the stroke just feels really long and low. I'm not an advanced rider by any means but I've raced motorcycles offroad for many years so I have learned to read the terrain pretty well. Ill try and give her some pointers.
    What length crank did you run on your motorcycle?

All kidding aside, hardtail XC bikes tend to have lowish BB's compared to dual suspension bikes for various reasons. The lower BB helps the bike corner better and be more stable over chatter.

Is the Sabre BB low? Its on the low side of the normal range, and if your Kona has a higher BB that could be possible. Is it a bad thing? No. We knew when we made the Sabre that the majority of the riders would be beginners that would benefit from the BB height due to the increased stability, and it works great for both offroad and also on bike paths/roads.

From a practical standpoint, taking 5mm or so out of crank length is not going to drastically reduce the number of crank/pedal strikes unless someone learns the limit of pedalling into/out of a corner, and when to get half-pedals in if need be over rough/rocky stuff.

Take care,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.