mtbr member

Road Apple Rally - 1st race!

Well, looks like I will be participating in my first race with the Goblin! I told the Mrs. I wanted to check out the Road Apple Rally this coming Saturday, and she entered me into the race! By checking out, I meant to see who all was going to be racing and what they were racing on... It is only my first season of MTB'ing (converted commuter), so I am a bit on the nervous side as I do not know what to expect at all. Airborne will be represented, I just don't know how well, but I will give it hell!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Well, looks like I will be participating in my first race with the Goblin! I told the Mrs. I wanted to check out the Road Apple Rally this coming Saturday, and she entered me into the race! By checking out, I meant to see who all was going to be racing and what they were racing on... It is only my first season of MTB'ing (converted commuter), so I am a bit on the nervous side as I do not know what to expect at all. Airborne will be represented, I just don't know how well, but I will give it hell!
    Try not to think of it as a race.

Think of it as just riding with a number on.

mtbr member
    Just go out and have fun! That's what I did this season. I went out just to enjoy the ride. I'm not in shape at all. I got 5th in my class overall for the season, haha.

mtbr member
    That is the plan Stang! I am SO looking forward to it, it is all I think about!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Good luck! And yep, its just a crowded ride with a number pinned on, nothing more. Hammer away! That loop sounds like all kinds of fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks skyphix!

I gave the bike a good once-over last night and she is ready to ride. I will be going out tonight to hit Rigor Mortis (part of the Road Apple loop) for a good warm-up. The weather tomorrow and Friday is going to be very unfavorable, Saturday nice and clear with a high of 60 degrees. At 8:30 is the race start, so all I need to do is figure out what kind of gear to wear for the cool morning.

Here is my Rigor Mortis Garmin page.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I find that when its cooler (below 60, above 40) I like a long sleeve compression shirt (or sleeves if you have those) under a jersey, then my normal bike shorts, during races. These are mostly road races though so speeds are higher and more open. I find myself quite a bit warmer than expected when I am in the woods and not racing.

But I live in the northeast so I'm not sure what your comfort level or definition of cool weather is.

mtbr member
    I was planning on using a long sleeve wicking shirt and shorts, thinking it will be around 50 degrees (at most) at race start. I haven't ridden in temps that low yet this season, but just want to be comfortable enough without being too hot or too cold. I know, I make it easy on myself...lol

I always ride in a white long sleeve cotton shirt throughout the season (even in 100+ degree temps), but hear it wouldn't be the best thing to ride in for a race. The Mrs. bought me a couple wicking shirts, but I have never used anything like that. Of course she got me a black one and a bright Goblin green one - considering using that green one of course!

mtbr member
    You mean you're not gonna wear full lycra!?!?! You'll finish DFL for sure!!!

Joking of course, but the way I've heard some people talk on these forums, you'd think it was true!

Good luck in the race bud, I had my first race earlier this summer and loved it! Had a blast and will definitely be back for more next year. The only advice I have is don't take it too seriously and pace yourself. I made the mistake of letting the adrenaline take control at the start and blew myself up pretty bad

mtbr member
    OOOH! Spandex from head to toe and a long pointed helmet!! Ummm... NO. HA!

Thanks 8iking, my riding buddies and I have a tendency to talk smack to the pros and the spandex clad for fun - sometimes our common sense takes a small vacation!

I figure as long as I don't finish last in my class I will call it a victory for my confidence level. I have ridden Rigor three times this week and 35 minutes is my sticking point for that part of the course. At least I am not getting slower! I will keep the pace point in mind at start, thank you for that pointer!!

Airborne Product Dude
    I wear my road-type clothing (bibs and cycling jerseys) on the trails all of the time.

I personally hate baggy stuff and also don't like catching loose-fitting clothing on tree branches and bushes.

Also, cotton is not good for cycling jerseys and shorts. Its not breathable at all.

Good luck in the race! Don't blow yourself up at the start, and focus on keeping a steady, fast pace. Don't ride over your head as that's the sure-fire way to getting a DNF from a crash or blowing up on the course.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeremy! I have the bright green jersey ready to go - Saturday just won't get here quick enough. I keep getting adrenaline surges when I think about the race, which is obviously making it worse. I will be taking pictures like crazy, as I am sure the wife will too, so be on the look out for those come Monday!

mtbr member
    Here is the link to the Garmin info.

I had a blast! That was probably the fastest 15 miles of my life! I learned a lot from the race, and know I can do much better when it comes time again next year. 13th overall, and 3rd in my age group. I will say this, I made a mistake starting from the pack in the back - the first few miles were brutal. Watching people wreck, break a chain, get stuck in line with no room to pass was quite the challenge at times. Next year I will be toward the front at start. You were right though, I had a lot of riders pass me on the road up to the trail, but I caught them all on the trail and then some as they ran out of gas. I even caught and passed two riders on the last mile of the course - one of them on a Pugsley!

No.355 by s0ul_chicken, on Flickr

3rd Place by s0ul_chicken, on Flickr