mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Is the Recon Gold spring in the Seeker a stiff spring

I was talking to one of the mechanics/salesman at my local bike shop yesterday and we got talking about front forks. I mentioned that I liked the Recon Gold because they were so much lighter than other shocks like the Recon Silver. The guy then replied that the Silver uses a softer spring and is a better riding fork than the Recon Gold. Is this accurate? Does the Recon Gold use stiffer springs? How stiff is the spring on the Seeker compared to something like the Reba in the Goblin. Thanks.

EDIT: The rider will be my wife so it is a lighter rider.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    I was talking to one of the mechanics/salesman at my local bike shop yesterday and we got talking about front forks. I mentioned that I liked the Recon Gold because they were so much lighter than other shocks like the Recon Silver. The guy then replied that the Silver uses a softer spring and is a better riding fork than the Recon Gold. Is this accurate? Does the Recon Gold use stiffer springs? How stiff is the spring on the Seeker compared to something like the Reba in the Goblin. Thanks.

EDIT: The rider will be my wife so it is a lighter rider.
    It's an air fork.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Jeremy, thats what I told him too. The guy at the store said they still have a spring on the other side. Is that not correct? I really appreciate your clarification.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. The Gold uses air, not a spring. So the air pressure is customized to rider weight. He must have misunderstood your question.

EDIT: I was typing my post while you were posting yours so I didn't read your clarification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    OK just looked at SRAMs website. It appears the shock can be had with either an air spring or a coil. That must be the point of confusion here. Recon Gold TK | SRAM

mtbr member

OK just looked at SRAMs website. It appears the shock can be had with either an air spring or a coil. That must be the point of confusion here. Recon Gold TK | SRAM
    The spring side of the fork comes in two options, air or coil spring. If it's a coil spring you'll have the u-turn feature which gives you external dial-up travel adjustments. If it's air, you'll be able to adjust spring rate with air psi (if you want to adjust travel, you have to use "all travel" spacers inside the air spring assembly). The other side is all damping with a large oil bath and a damper (no spring of any kind). Two options here, Motion Control (compression adjustment and lockout) or Turnkey, hence the "TK" abbreviation (lockout only). With that said, you will never have both a coil spring and an air spring on a recon fork.

Also, IMO, Motion Control damping is always superior to TurnKey.

Sent from my X-wing using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Poopshute; 03-01-2014 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks poopshute thats good info

mtbr member

Thanks poopshute thats good info
    No problem. I know for certain that turn key dampers and motion control dampers are interchangeable so if you end up with a TK version recon, you can always upgrade to Motion Control later (and even a remote version where you can lockout and adjust compression on your handle bar!). I'm not entirely certain what the interchangeability is between a u-turn coil spring and air spring assembly are. I've never had to change one for the other but I'm assuming it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just bought a 2014 Recon Gold TK coil. It comes with a medium spring (At least mine did) good for riders up to 170. Since I tip the scales at 230 I bought the "Black" spring recommended for riders 200+. It was a really easy swap, took me maybe 30 minutes or so. And that was no rush while having a beer.

I'm digging it. I like it much better than the Pilot XC air I upgraded from. It has 3 controls, a lockout on the right, a preload adjustment on the left, and a damping speed adjustment on the lower left. I really like the lockout too, because sometimes I like to just putter around town and run errands on the thing. My ride is an older Tassajara hardtail.

The spring took a bit of searching to find, it turns out that it uses the same spring as the Tora. Here's the link: Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Tora Tuning Spring Kits. You'll get the complete assembly, so don't worry about taking all the accessories off of the one you have. The customer service there is great btw.

FWIW, I recommend it. They're on sale over at Online Bike Shop And Bike Parts - Merlin Cycles. I had it in 3 days. Remarkable, U.K. to PA in just 3 days for free. Heck, the spring from New Mexico took longer than that.

Mine was not a U-Turn spring by the way. Rockshox Recon Gold TK Forks - 26" - 2014 | Merlin Cycles. $236.16 shipped to my door.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Here's my girl with the Recon Gold TK's on her.
    Is the Recon Gold spring in the Seeker a stiff spring-tassupgraded.jpg

She's growing up to be a pretty badassed Tass. I love this bike.

mtbr member
    Oh ****. I just realized this was an Airborne form. Many apologies. I don't have an Airborne but I hear they are fine bicycles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    No problem. You gave good info on the shock.

I have since acquired a Reba though. So the Recon Gold info no longer needed. But thank you to everyone. I still learned alot.