Captain Climber

Recommendations for converting SkyHawk to 1x setup?

I've recently upgraded the front shock and built some custom wheels for my SkyHawk. The bike rolls much easier, is so much lighter and nimble and is easier to pedal. I can go faster with less effort and actually go faster period. I think the next logical upgrade will be a new crankset and I would like to go 1x8 (keeping the current new 8 speed cassette and original rear derailluer and shifter. What would be a good crankset to do this with? I don't want to go crazy on the price but a good bang for the buck that will get me a good performance increase. Basically, I don't want to spend more than say $250 unless there is a good reason to go higher.

mtbr member
    Where have you been?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Where have you been?
    I've been very busy... How about you? Now that Chuck Lennon has dried out I've been getting out there one or two afternoons a week.

Captain Climber
    If I remove my front derailleur and just leave the chain on the middle chain ring will it fail over without the derailleur holding it in place? Until I figure out what new crank and bottom bracket I am getting it would be nice to remove the derailleur if I could. I am getting a new stem and handlebars this week so I could remove it then.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just recently did the same thing. I first tried removing the inner and outter chainrings and locking the derailleur in the middle. That didn't work well at all, chain fell off all the time. So i added a "jump stop" to the inside, a bash guard to the outside, and removed the derailleur. Better, but still crappy.
    My 3rd and final attempt, that has worked flawlessly was to buy a wolfstooth chainring, an inner "bashguard" from BBG, and keep my outter bashguard, making a sandwich. This was all mounted to a 3 ring Truvativ Stylo.
    It's the bashguard sandwich technique which supposedly works well on it's own, but combined with a wolfstooth chainring which is also supposed to work well alone, it's perfect. I mean I didn't drop a chain the rest of the summer.

The chainring is a 32 tooth, both guards are sized for 34.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Basically, I don't want to spend more than say $250 unless there is a good reason to go higher.
    I'd recommend a set of SLX or XT cranks as both are light and plenty strong. Then, use a Race Face narrow wide chain ring and you should be good to go. I had no drops running this setup in 1x9 config on my Guardian with a standard X5 and X9 rear derailleur. You could always add a chain guide later if you do run into occasional drops.

Captain Climber
    I have an inner cartridge square taper BB. Will they work with that or do I need to upgrade my BB?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You'll need a new BB, which they come with. I'm assuming the frame has a threaded BB(68-73mm)?, which is what the cranks I recommended use.

Captain Climber
    Yes, it is threaded but I am not sure of the size... I'll have to check and see.

Captain Climber
    SRAM X.7 GXP 3X9 Crankset 2013 | SRAM | Brand | www.PricePoint.comWould this work? And will the narrow wide chain ring work with an 8 speed chain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That crank would work, but I'm a fan of this one. I do see the RF narrow wide is only 9/10/11 speed compatible. That puts a wrinkle in things, but I've seen many 8/9 speed compatible components, so if the chain ring does 9, it should do 8. I'd search or post in the drive train forum to get a solid answer.

Captain Climber
    Nice.. thanks tuskenraider. Why do you like that one better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Better bottom bracket quality IMO and I like the BB bearing preload setup that Shimano uses over SRAM.