Captain Climber

Rebuilt my SkyHawk's rear hub

Since I broke the hanger and then the chain on my SkyHawk I was cleaning it up real good while waiting for parts to arrive. I noticed my cassette was kind of wobbly and the rear wheel sounding link it was dragging internally when I would spin the wheel ( with the chain off the free hub does not click so you can hear everything else). I decided to see if I could figure out the cassette and take it all apart. I couldn't get the cassette to come off the freehub and so I decided to take the axle out and when I did several bearing came out and I noticed there was not much grease inside. I took it all apart, cleaned it up and finally pulled hard enough on the cassette to get it off. The first cog was stuck I guess. I went ahead and pulled off the spoke protector as well. I then re-greased the races and bearings real good and put everything back together. I never could get the cassette from wobbling but hopefully it is not bad enough to worry about. It is worse on the top two cogs which I don't ride with much. After getting the rotor back on I don't have any drag on the pads like i did before. The rotor was not warped off the bike like i thought it would be. Everything is spinning much better. Glad I did it but wish the cogs didn't wobble. All in all, it is spinning completely quiet and smooth. I am going to do the front hub next. I like to use more grease than was in this hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

hub

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Since I broke the hanger and then the chain on my SkyHawk I was cleaning it up real good while waiting for parts to arrive. I noticed my cassette was kind of wobbly and the rear wheel sounding link it was dragging internally when I would spin the wheel ( with the chain off the free hub does not click so you can hear everything else). I decided to see if I could figure out the cassette and take it all apart. I couldn't get the cassette to come off the freehub and so I decided to take the axle out and when I did several bearing came out and I noticed there was not much grease inside. I took it all apart, cleaned it up and finally pulled hard enough on the cassette to get it off. The first cog was stuck I guess. I went ahead and pulled off the spoke protector as well. I then re-greased the races and bearings real good and put everything back together. I never could get the cassette from wobbling but hopefully it is not bad enough to worry about. It is worse on the top two cogs which I don't ride with much. After getting the rotor back on I don't have any drag on the pads like i did before. The rotor was not warped off the bike like i thought it would be. Everything is spinning much better. Glad I did it but wish the cogs didn't wobble. All in all, it is spinning completely quiet and smooth. I am going to do the front hub next. I like to use more grease than was in this hub.

That must be a low end hub, the industry has moved to sealed cartrige bearings.
    Cassette wobble is indicative of poor hub design which would jive with cup and cone hubs.

You pobably did the best thing you could do with that hub. But....

I would have pulled off the freehub (hub body ) and cleaned it completely and regreased it..

Captain Climber
    Is this the process you referred too?
    AOL On - How to Overhaul a Shimano Hub and Free Hub

Airborne Product Dude
    That must be a low end hub, the industry has moved to sealed cartrige bearings.
    Cassette wobble is indicative of poor hub design which would jive with cup and cone hubs.

It's a $349 bike. The hubs on it are representative of bikes that are at that price level and even somewhat higher price levels.
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

It's a $349 bike. The hubs on it are representative of bikes that are at that price level and even somewhat higher price levels.
    Oh come on Jeremy? You couldn't have put a $200 cassette on here and still sold it for $350? I am really impressed with the quality and ride-ability of this $349 bike. I can't believe I almost paid $700 for a bike not nearly as good. This bike has lots of upgrade potential too but the only thing I plan on upgrading is the pedals. Past that I am going to upgrade to a Goblin or HobGoblin... And I can move the pedals when I do.