mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Reba Shock Question - New Goblin

I bought 2 Goblins, both with Reba shock, one works great the other stays compressed, will not rebound. It is stuck within 1 inch of full compression and happened on my first big bump in the trail. Figure there must be a simple reason but I can't find it, I did notice there is a cap under the right front shock leg, but didn't see any explanation in the Reba shock manual about it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. FYI....both shocks were pumped/filled to approx 130psi

mtbr member
    You may have a bit of stiction on the other Reba, but check to make sure that the fork isn't locked out from the knob on the right side of the fork. The red knob at the bottom of the fork is for your rebound settings, which allows you to fine tune the return. If you do have stiction, you can use some light lube on the stantions - it also helps to let all the air out so you can lube the entire fork, move it up and down a few times and then refill the air side. If there is no rebound at all, make sure that red knob isn't all the way to the turtle side - if it is, it won't return very well, move it more to the rabbit side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Regular 3-1 oil okay to use on the stantions? The shock was not locked out. I'll try this, thanks.

mtbr member
    As long as it is a light oil, it will be ok. Just let all the air out, lube the stantions, work them up and down and air it back up, wipe away the excess. Check your rebound knob on the bottom of the fork to make sure you have it at least half-way between the rabbit and the turtle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I let all of the air out of the shock and it just sucked it completely closed, I can only pull it down about an inch then it goes fully closed/compressed again. I have the red knob close to the rabbit setting. Man this has been the bike from H_ _ _....lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Probably time to give Airborne a call. Either that or SRAM. Both companies have a reputation for good service. They will take care of you.

Airborne has nothing to do with a failure of a Rockshox part, but you may want to consult with them to see if they want to deal with SRAM or if you should do it directly. Regardless, I'm confident that you'll be taken care of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, hoping not to have to call Airborne and fix it myself as I would like to ride the bike today.....Also, this is NOT a bash Airborne thread, I bought this bike because they have a great reputation for customer service and I know if it comes to that they will help me out. This is all about asking for advice which I have received lots of, and thankful for that. Also really impressed with these bikes, we went on our first long ride yesterday and they were awesome(I had to be careful with the shock but love the ride and stiffness of the frame). In any event, I just put oil on the stantion and added air back into the shock, it seems like the shock is operating properly now, I will give it a go if it ever stops raining. Thanks again to all, this is a great forum, and again I have NO ISSUES with Airborne, ZERO!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No I didn't think this was a bash Airborne thread. It just appeared that you might have hit a wall in getting this figured out and I wanted to encourage you in that the customer service these companies offer is excellent. So if you are out of solutions, they typically can help.

In rereading my post, though, I can see how you might think that I was responding defensively for them. Sorry bout that. Just a case of not writing what I'm meaning.

Anyway, enjoy the bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No worries, just wanted to to be clear....Funny thing is it looks like I will have to call Airborne after all, this shock just isn't behaving( at least based on what I have done, which may not be correct).....it is better than before but still stuck a little compressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mine sits at about 5% compressed on the black scale depending on how much air is in the upper vs lower air chamber (mine is a dual air model). Typically when the two sides are at the same pressure it shows that little bit of compression for some reason. Is yours more than that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine is stuck at the 30% mark(non solid black) on the left side as you are reading the percentages and above the solid black 10% mark on the right side as you are reading it.....guessing it is about 1" compressed now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is that a dual air fork? I know that if you run too much pressure in one of the two you wind up with a fork that is sagged before you sit on it. Its some kind of ratio. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm pretty sure it is the solo air version

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsu1greg View Post
    No worries, just wanted to to be clear....Funny thing is it looks like I will have to call Airborne after all, this shock just isn't behaving( at least based on what I have done, which may not be correct).....it is better than before but still stuck a little compressed.
    Greg we've got your email and Eric will get back to you shortly. Sorry about the troubles, we'll get it straightened out!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Greg we've got your email and Eric will get back to you shortly. Sorry about the troubles, we'll get it straightened out!

Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy, I did get your emails, will get back to you/Eric in the morning with the requested info.....appreciate it

Thanks,
    Greg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quick question....A new Reba shock arrived, but there were no parts with it.....what parts would I need to simply replace the old Reba with this new one. Do I need any additional parts other than those already on the shock/bike? Oh, I just found a loose star nut for the steerer tube, is that all I will need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsu1greg View Post
    Quick question....A new Reba shock arrived, but there were no parts with it.....what parts would I need to simply replace the old Reba with this new one. Do I need any additional parts other than those already on the shock/bike? Oh, I just found a loose star nut for the steerer tube, is that all I will need?
    Should be, everything else you should already have on the bike. You have shock pump, and appropriate torque wrench? Glad to see Airborne got you all fixed up the service they offer is pretty awesome

mtbr member
    Star nut should be all you need.
    Precisely measure and cut the new steerer tube.
    Carefully remove the lower bearing race from the old steerer tube. Install it carefully onto the new one. Install the star nut into the tube to the same depth the old one was in.
    Put the fork in and tighten everything to the appropriate torque.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Torque wrench for the steerer tube bolt? I remember that being 4-10 ft bs, I think? Yeah, I have a shock pump.