Thread: Reba RL

mtbr member
    May 2012

Reba RL

Hey folks,

I have a Goblin with the stock Reba suspension, I'm using up all my travel on the stock setup and am thinking about moving it up to 100mm. What are some of the pros and cons and does anyone have any instructions or advice as to how to do it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is it not already set at 100mm?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    no 80mm right now

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by hwangnyc View Post
    Hey folks,

I have a Goblin with the stock Reba suspension, I'm using up all my travel on the stock setup and am thinking about moving it up to 100mm. What are some of the pros and cons and does anyone have any instructions or advice as to how to do it?

Thanks!
    The procedure is covered in the manual that came with the fork that should have been included with your bike.

If you don't have the manual you can go to Reba RL | SRAM and download it.

I've done about 10 of them now and its not difficult. It's about a 1/2 hour job provided that all goes as it should. Just be certain you've purchased the oil you need (reference the manual) and have it on hand before hand. A few other tips:

1. Clean the bike, especially the fork, well before you do this.
    2. A clean, well-lit work area with a stand is a must.
    3. Have a bucket handy on the ground below the fork to catch the little bit of oil that comes out when you take the lowers off.

Hope that helps!

Is it not already set at 100mm?
    The first-generation Goblins were built with 80mm Reba forks.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

TXTony
    Workshop: How to adjust travel on a RockShox trail fork | BikeRadar.

It may raise the front end of your bike some. I do not think it will be enough to effect the way the bike handles. I think you will get a better ride out of it if your using all your travel right now. Assuming the fork is set up right now. I have found I have had to add more air to forks than the recommended pressure sometimes to get the ride I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have both the old (80mm) and the new Goblin (100mm). I'm a bit on the heavier side, 5' 11" / 188 lbs, but generally pretty fast. I definately prefer the 100mm. However, if you're lighter, it probably won't make as much difference.

I'll also echo what TXTony said. Go higher than the sticker for an 80mm setup. I think the sticker read ~125-130 PSI for my weight, but I usually run 155 PSI Top / 145 PSI Bottom. On the flip side, I had a Reba on a 120mm Full Squishy that I ran about 15 PSI below the sticker settings.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

NeedGod.com
    I was constantly bottoming out the 80mm on mine, so I had my LBS convert it to 100mm. Just from what I've ridden around town in the snow, it rides about the same. Not much difference in handling, but the extra travel will come in handy.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm currently running about 125/125 higher than than what Rockshox suggest and still riding the ring all the way to the top. Are there any drawbacks to adding more pressure?

TXTony
    If you running 125 psi higher than recommended and still using all the travel something does not seem right..if I read that right...I usually only have to run like 20psi or so above the recommended pressure to get them set up like I want..adding more air to it usually makes the travel less active and I do not think that ring should be going all the way to the top..is it holding air or do you have to keep adding air to it...may be a seal leaking..there should also be a max air pressure that the fork can take..not sure what it is for you fork...but I would not go above the recommended high settings or you may end up with some internal issues with the seals...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the response TXToney. The chart on the fork suggest. 120 for riders up to 170lbs. I'm on the cusp weight wise. Do you use a Reba?

TXTony
    Yeah I have the new Goblin with the 100mm...yeah I think if your running 125 I would start by adding some more air to it like 5 psi at a time and see if that helps..if everything is good with the fork you will notice less travel being used the more air you put in it..the ride should stiffen up for you..

NeedGod.com
    I weigh 170 and was bottoming out really quickly at the recommended 120 psi. So I bumped it up to about 135-140 psi and it performed stiffer for me. I have yet to try it at the 100mm out on the trails. Since we just got 8 inches of snow, I won't be able to ride my more aggressive trails for awhile to really test it out.

I have also heard from several people that it's ok to bottom out your fork every once in awhile. If you don't, then you're not really getting good use out of all your travel. But I'll defer to someone more experienced on that because this is my first air fork.

I agree with the above poster...just take your shock pump with you out on the trail and adjust as needed. I think you'll see a big difference after you put a bit more air in.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Reba RL

I rode one of the trails I normally ride yesterday for the 1st time on the goblin and have some questions regarding the reba (I'm 175-180lbs)

- I'm trying to learn the food gate settings (I've read the pdf a few times and I am not completely sure how I should set out up). Are you supposed to always adjust it with the fork in the lock out position? You adjust with a hex key right?

- Is it ok to have the compression setting somewhere between full open and full lock?

- After reading posts above it sounds like I might be running too low of pressure. Is the 60% of your weight in positive chamber and -10 of that number in the negative not adequate? I thought I read that was a good starting point on here somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

When adjusting the floodgate (turning the hex bolt counter clockwise while holding the compression knob in the lockout setting), is it normal for the knob to be loose afterwards?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What year Reba RL do you have? I have a 2012 Reba RL and the floodgate is not adjustable. I think it is only adjustable on the RLT. if yours is like mine that hex screw just holds the compression knob on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

It's the 2012 model I'm pretty sure. Why isn't it adjustable?

Airborne Product Dude
    I think all you are doing is loosening the allen screw that holds the lockout knob on.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Lol that's pretty much what I figured when I was doing it. So the '12 reba rl doesn't have a floodgate adjustment?

After reading on here, it sounds like the the reba weight/pressure guide is high? What is a good starting point? I've read that 60% of your weight in the + chamber and -10 psi of that number in the - chamber is a good starting point, is that correct?

I tried that method and it feels good to me but this is my first air fork so I just want to get the most out of it.

Airborne Product Dude
    That's a good starting point, you can fine-tune to your personal liking from there. A lot depends on your personal riding style, terrain, etc.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    It's the 2012 model I'm pretty sure. Why isn't it adjustable?
    Because the Reba RLT has an adjustable floodgate, and you get to pay more for it too! I've never felt like I missed anything by it being factory set. Just marketing in my opinion.
    Last edited by swildnm; 03-15-2013 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Now, the top of the right side of my green Goblin's dual-air Reba says "GATE" with a little 2.5 km allen key indication. Does that mean I have an adjustable gate?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

It sounds like you do