mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Real world differences between Goblin and Goblin XO

I'm buying a 29" hardtail for my christmas present, and it will be an Airborne.

I'm currently riding a 2012 26" Trek 4500 Disc, for a reference. Aside from the drastic change from a 26" to 29", what are the real world differences from the regular goblin to the XO?

Just better components? Will it increase my riding experience? I'm not a weight weenie by a LOOOOONG shot, but I do value quality components and would spring for the extra money if it would be worth it.

And yes, I know this is all conjecture until the final price point and real world riding has been completed on the XO.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    I'm buying a 29" hardtail for my christmas present, and it will be an Airborne.

I'm currently riding a 2012 26" Trek 4500 Disc, for a reference. Aside from the drastic change from a 26" to 29", what are the real world differences from the regular goblin to the XO?

Just better components? Will it increase my riding experience? I'm not a weight weenie by a LOOOOONG shot, but I do value quality components and would spring for the extra money if it would be worth it.

And yes, I know this is all conjecture until the final price point and real world riding has been completed on the XO.

I will say that the price will be under $2500............if that helps a little.

Here's my take on it:

A new rider probably won't notice much difference between the regular and XO versions, mainly because they don't have much basis for comparison. It may not be worth the extra $$ for them. If someone calls us and tells us they are just getting their feet wet and want to try it out, we'll be honest with them and push them toward the Goblin.

A recreational rider that rides often will definitely notice a difference in regards to crisper shifting and less lever throw, less weight, faster rolling wheels, and nice ride feel due to the carbon bars/post. Is it worth the $$ difference to them? Probably.

If you are the type of individual who is likely to get upgrade-itis and may want to upgrade components, then the XO is a no-brainer purchase from the start. The cost difference between the X7 and X0 stuff, the bars/post/stem and wheels is much more than the difference between the Goblin and XO prices.........plus the new XO bike just looks badass.

Hopefully that helps a little. I know its hard to talk about without official price/specs/photos, but I promise we'll let more info out in December.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    the drivetrain would be considered better on the XO. but for me, I would be happy with the x7's on the regular goblin and the lower price tag. but i just ride for fun so i'm happy as long as everything is working. :-) haha, but for comparison .... if your happy with your 4500, (which would be more comparable to the guardian) you would probably be happy with either goblin.

and if you are planning to upgrade components later on the goblin you should probably start out with the xo since it will already have upgraded components on it verses the regular goblin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Would the fork on the New Goblin support my clyde ass @ 210lbs (but dropping quickly)? I know it's dual air, so it wouldn't seem to be a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Would the fork on the New Goblin support my clyde ass @ 210lbs (but dropping quickly)? I know it's dual air, so it wouldn't seem to be a problem.
    I'm about the same weight and just got a black Goblin. I set the fork pressure to 150psi in the positive chamber and 140psi in the negative chamber. On my first ride I used about 60% of the travel, over relatively rooty and rocky terrain. So yes, it will support you just fine.
    I intend to live forever or die in the attempt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I put the same fork, Dual Air Reba on my Guardian, and it works great for me at 248lbs. (170 psi). max PSI for the for is 220 I think. So is should handle heavier riders than myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm about 225lbs and am running 165 positive and 155 negative and am very happy. You'll be fine.

Airborne Product Dude
    The Dual Air part of the fork doesn't mean it will handle weight any better than the Solo Air version of the same fork. Both the Solo Air Recons and Rebas are good for riders up to around 300lbs or so provided you set the air pressure correctly.

The XO bikes will come with the 2013 Reba RLT fork on them which is a Solo Air fork.
    Airborne Dude.

MTB Fanatic
    So what exactly is the difference between dual air and single air as far as how the inside works?
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    So what exactly is the difference between dual air and single air as far as how the inside works?
    There is a thread currently running in the susiension forum right now discussing the differences. I would link but I am on my phone :/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Seriously, thanks for all the help! Sounds like the regular Goblin should fit me just fine then.

BDF, I need some help on fitment. What do you need to know?

Airborne Product Dude
    Seriously, thanks for all the help! Sounds like the regular Goblin should fit me just fine then.

BDF, I need some help on fitment. What do you need to know?
    Great, I think that's a good choice~!

Here's what we'd need to help with fit:

Height (Standing straight up with no shoes on)
    Inseam (from floor to crotch, standing straignt with no shoes on)
    Torso (from crotch to sternal notch)
    Arm Length (arm extended straight out, measured from inside armpit to web between thumb and forefinger).

We also will want to get some general info from you: like riding experience, whether you already ride a mtb and if so what size, if there are any biomechanical issues like bad back, etc.

A phone call works best, but we can also do it via email or even here.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks Jeremy, I'll get that info together and give you guys a call.