mtbr member

Question about wheels for Zeppelin Elite 650b upgrade

Got the bug and am looking to upgrade my Zeppelin Elite to 650b, so far the frame and fork look like they are going to work. I was looking at these WTB wheels built by Art's Cyclery

My question is it possible to use the stock 130mm rear dropout with 12 x 142mm rear axle. Kind of a noob, and guess I will need adapters for the axles to work with stock 9mm QR's, Any suggestions ?

Airborne Flight Crew
    *Edit*

Sorry, didn't read the entire specs for the hubs. Not sure how much axle conversion kits cost or if they're available. Search for something like "Convert Sram X9 hubs from 142 to 135". It appears the hubs are convertable.. but you may have a fun time finding the parts?

Good Luck!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Product Dude
    If you don't mind me giving my personal opinion, I don't think putting 650B wheels on your Zepp is really an "upgrade". I've been on a Zepp before that someone put 650B wheels on, and while they fit, the bike felt like poo to me. The BB is already high on the Zepp to begin with, and then making it .37 inches taller with the 650B wheels made it seem really tall and hard to get up on with the saddle at the correct height. That's just my opinion, which may or may not mean a lot since everyone is a little different in their preferences and likes.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    If you don't mind me giving my personal opinion, I don't think putting 650B wheels on your Zepp is really an "upgrade". I've been on a Zepp before that someone put 650B wheels on, and while they fit, the bike felt like poo to me. The BB is already high on the Zepp to begin with, and then making it .37 inches taller with the 650B wheels made it seem really tall and hard to get up on with the saddle at the correct height. That's just my opinion, which may or may not mean a lot since everyone is a little different in their preferences and likes.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    The high BB is what turned me off from considering a 650B conversion. However, do you think changing the rear shock would help? The stock rear shock is 7.5"x2", so would going to a 7.25"x1.75" shock lower the BB any? I know it would decrease the rear wheel travel a bit though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Good luck!

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy for your honesty... definitely something to consider. May just have to wait to see what Airborne comes up with for 650b....

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    The high BB is what turned me off from considering a 650B conversion. However, do you think changing the rear shock would help? The stock rear shock is 7.5"x2", so would going to a 7.25"x1.75" shock lower the BB any? I know it would decrease the rear wheel travel a bit though.
    It will lower it some, but it won't make up for the entire difference the 650B wheels. I probably wouldn't recommend to someone to do that.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.