mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Problems with my Marauder

So a couple of weeks ago I went riding and my Marauder felt weird, when I got back to the shop I threw it up in the stand and started to inspect it. I found what looked like worn out bushings and hard wear for the rear shock so I ordered the new stuff from Marzocchi. When it came I put it on but it appears that the mount on the rear triangle has actually spread. Has anyone else seen this happen? Also at the same time my Cargo 340 fork appears to have died. It will not compress very well and when it does the striction is so bad that it freezes down and has also developed a loose feel when rolling. At first I thought this loose feel was from the front wheel but the wheel checks out fine (the WTB wheels are awesome) so I think it may be inside the fork. Has anyone seen these problems with the Marauder? It is 2 years old and I ride about 2 times a week.

BTW, I am a mechanic at a shop and the bike is well maintained, all the pivots and hard wear are checked every couple of rides, this stuff just all happened at once. Four different mechanics at the shop have looked at it, test rode it, and checked it over and none of us can figure it out.

Airborne Product Dude
    I'd recommend that you give us a call at 800-888-BIKE after we are back in the office on Wednesday 1/2.

If the bike was ridden with the rear bushings worn out on the shock for any amount of time, damage to the shock mount eye on the frame or rear swingarm could result. If this occurrred it is not a warranty issue. But like I stated above, giving us a call is the thing to do.

As far as the fork goes, it could be worn out. Since you work at a shop, you could contact Spinner and see if they will warranty it but it is doubtful since it is out of warranty period at 2 years. You may have to consider purchasing a replacement.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll give you a call.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Problems with my Marauder-0211131656.jpgProblems with my Marauder-0211131703.jpgI was able to rebuild the fork, Spinner's customer service is next to useless by the way. As for the rear triangle issue, I talked with Eric and he said my only option was to pay to send the bike in to Airborne to look at, on the chance that you might warranty the rear triangle. The bushings are fine, not worn. The mount has physically spread +/- 2mm creating a side to side movement. Eric suggested that I cut down the axel that the bolts tread into and try to use it to close the gap, this did not work.

Since I really can't afford to pay to ship it to Ohio and then to also pay for the shipping back on the chance that It could get warrantied, I have shimmed it using nyoln washers, they have removed the play from the rear end. It's hard to see in the picture but they are in there.