Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 1460
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    This is my Guardian, i've had it for about 4 months and have already started tweaking it.

    Main mod was the conversion from the stock 3x9 to a 2x9 by removing the largest chainring and replacing it with a bashguard.
    I broke the x5 RD, and replaced the front and back with x7 sram stuff.
    Upgraded the front tire with a Kenda Nevegal.
    and installed the BIONICON C-Guide.







    So far the bike has been great, it has been a great introduction to the mtb hobby. Let me know what you think.

  2. #2
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    441
    Red bikes are always faster. I like it!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  3. #3
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Love it! How's the new tire working for you up front?

    At first glance, I thought the SB8's would suck, but they are amazing. Doubt I'll be upgrading those until they wear out.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    Thanks guys!

    I really like the SB8's too. But they don't provide any puncture protection. So after 4 punctures, 3 in the front and 1 pinch in the back i got frustrated and picked up the beefier tire on the front. i have only had it on there for about a week. So far so good. i feel i can lean more into corners and bankings with it upfront.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zukrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    261
    i like the chain guide. why do you go with it? never seen one before.

    what size?

    whats your stats?

    how you liking the X7's?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,023
    What is the purpose of the chain guide? I thought they were for single speed and what not.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    81
    What pedals do you have?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    i like the chain guide. why do you go with it? never seen one before.

    what size?

    whats your stats?

    how you liking the X7's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    What is the purpose of the chain guide? I thought they were for single speed and what not.
    The chainguide can be found here Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide
    It prevents the chain from bouncing around and falling off the front chainrings. since i have used it i have not had the chain come off even once.

    My Guardian is an 18 inch, im 5'7 165lbs 30 inseam.

    the x7 fd was def a noticeable upgrade in shifting and rear tire clearance. the rd i havne't noticed any major difference between the x5 and x7.

    Quote Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    What pedals do you have?
    These are a set of Wellgo MG-1's.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swl7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post

    My Guardian is an 18 inch, im 5'7 165lbs 30 inseam.

    These are a set of Wellgo MG-1's.
    How's the 18" for your size? Does it run a little big? I'm about the same size, but a little lighter, and I'm probably going with a 16". I guess it could all be personal preference up to a certain point.

  10. #10
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Did you have to get a new chain for that drivetrain?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    How's the 18" for your size? Does it run a little big? I'm about the same size, but a little lighter, and I'm probably going with a 16". I guess it could all be personal preference up to a certain point.
    i don't feel it being big. i think its perfect for my size. I like the more aggressive stance

    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Did you have to get a new chain for that drivetrain?
    no, but i feel i might be able to shorten it some to get even better shifting. i need to figure out how to remove some of the links.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,715
    if you remove some links you should be able to ditch the chainguide.

    you shouldn't need that extra bit of resistance in your drivetrain if it is properly setup but if you like it go with it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7

    need hellpp!





    Hye. can some want give me suggestion on using this bike. (i'm very noob in this sport~)

    This is my very first MTB in my life. Please help me~
    Last edited by ams.jelapang; 09-06-2012 at 10:09 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7
    this is my very first mtb in my life. please someone help me~~

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wobbem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by ams.jelapang View Post
    this is my very first mtb in my life. please someone help me~~
    Just go out and ride it fool

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    Anybody else tweak their airborne?

    Aftermarket rims or bars?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-jeremygoblinproto.jpg  

    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  18. #18
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    Hmmm... well I have changed out the seat to a WTB Laser V and went Tubeless with a stans kit and a set of 2.25 schwalbe nobby nic snakeskins. Currently I have a set of wellgo b103 flat pedals on there but just picked up a set of shimano clipless pedals (m-530) so we will see how that goes. Everything else is holding up well. I do plan to get a setback Thomson and probably replace the stem and handlebars eventually but not right now. LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!







    My friend on the right liked my goblin so much he went and got one of his own!





    Oh and the best upgrade of all.... the monkey!




  19. #19
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    I saw on another thread somewhere that a guy upgraded the bar with a black 9 degree sweep bar, but I never heard if he liked it better or why he even did it.

    I like the idea of the 2 ring FD but I would probably just remove the outer ring and add a bashguard. The only other thing I'd like to upgrade on my Guardian is the wheels. I feel like there's a lot of weight there but I can't verify that an upgrade would make a big difference because I've never seen it done.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swl7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Here's mine.
    dang the black looks so nice

  21. #21
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    Well I can tell you that my brother in laws 22 lb. Niner pedals a lot easier than my 28 lb. Goblin. But his was 2X the price of mine. You would notice a lighter wheelset but you can almost offset those weight savings with a beefy/heavy set of tires. Going Tubeless doesn't offer much, if any, weight savings but does offer convenience and the ability to run lower tire pressures.

  22. #22
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    I don't know if I'd call tubeless more convenient. I don't know if I'll ever go tubeless because, like you said, there's no weight savings and it looks like a ton of work. Not to mention, I've never had a flat while mountain biking...ever. It makes me regret carrying around an extra tube, tire levers and pump for the past 20 years. But I know the first time I didn't, I'd get my first flat.

    Interestingly, I've had several flats on my road bike. Seem ironic.

  23. #23
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    I noticed both of you are running Black Flag wheels. That's not stock is it? I thought the Goblin had WTB wheels. Aren't BF's like $600?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  25. #25
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!
    That sounds good. I can never justify (in my mind) spending $600+ on a $1200 bike. But I would spend more to get the better components like you just mentioned.

  26. #26
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    I don't have black flags but my brother in law does. VERY nice wheelset!

    I think you would like Tubeless if you did it. The ability to run lower pressures really let's your tires hook into the dirt. My Nic's are like velcro in hero dirt at about 23 psi.

  27. #27
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!
    Bring back the greeeeeen! Haha.

    BTW, I'm digging that toxin... sexy all around.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    143
    Sweet bikes. I too am considering upgrading wheel sets but I get overwhelmed by the number of optionout there. Plus the cost seems to be pretty great for a fraction of weight savings. Keep them coming!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!
    Oh great, after I commit to a pre-order of the new Goblin!
    Now am filled with much regret....

    Nah, not really, probably out of my price range anyway.

    Interested what that range is though....

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sleevem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    253
    +1 ^^
    I too preordered the Goblin and do not need to see this. They're killin me.

  31. #31
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,328

    My Guardian...

    ...two ways:

    XC trail cruising:

    Basically stock, with a 0 rise stem and very low rise Azonic bars
    ..and my techy trail setup:

    70mm Sunline stem, Spank 777 bars, and Kenda Nevegal 2.3s.
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  32. #32
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    ...two ways:

    XC trail cruising:

    Basically stock, with a 0 rise stem and very low rise Azonic bars
    ..and my techy trail setup:

    70mm Sunline stem, Spank 777 bars, and Kenda Nevegal 2.3s.
    How did you get the 2.3's to fit with the FD?

    Did you upgrade the wheels? What are those?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyflyer View Post
    here's mine.
    what i would not to get a bike like your love how you have two spokes on the front & rear white colored
    searching for color spokes my self got any idea what color i can put on the 2013 new goblin ?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by john symos View Post
    what i would not to get a bike like your love how you have two spokes on the front & rear white colored
    searching for color spokes my self got any idea what color i can put on the 2013 new goblin ?
    Those wheels on my Goblin prototype are Black Flag Pro's. They come stock with the two white spokes per wheel. It's a cool look while the wheel is at speed.

    I think the bikes look great with black spokes as is. White spokes might be interesting too.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  35. #35
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    How did you get the 2.3's to fit with the FD?

    Did you upgrade the wheels? What are those?
    My bad, I neglected to mention I upgraded to an X7 FD, so no clearance issue (Wheels are WTBs).

    Even though I'm a true fat tire fan (always rock at least a 2.25, prefer 2.3 or even 2.4) - after a week on the Nevegals, I have to say the SB8's roll SO much faster, and offer such good traction that I'm not sure I see/notice a benefit to the Nevegals.

    I'm putting the SB8's back on, and will save the Nevegals for fall when it gets a little wet/muddy/more dirty, or for when I eventually get a Hobgoblin
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    okay do you may be idea where i can look for the new spokes
    may i have the specs of the new goblin spokes or just let me say the entire wheelset INCLUDING THE SPOKES DIAMETER & length i went on the net & could not find out how long the spokes are that i need how many mm. Is there maybe something i need to know
    CAUSE I AM SEARCHING FOR GREEN SPOKES NOT TO DARK NOT TO BRIGHT OR WHITE.
    OR MAYBE WHITE OR GREEN NIPPLES

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by john symos View Post
    okay do you may be idea where i can look for the new spokes
    may i have the specs of the new goblin spokes or just let me say the entire wheelset INCLUDING THE SPOKES DIAMETER & length i went on the net & could not find out how long the spokes are that i need how many mm. Is there maybe something i need to know
    CAUSE I AM SEARCHING FOR GREEN SPOKES NOT TO DARK NOT TO BRIGHT OR WHITE.
    OR MAYBE WHITE OR GREEN NIPPLES
    Hey John,

    There are a few guys that sell coloured spokes on eBay that have very good pricing. Check there first.

    As far as spoke lengths go, here is what we calculated for the wheels. Please use these #'s as guidelines only.

    Front, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm
    Rear, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm

    Hope that helps~!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 88StangGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    38
    I have a Zeppelin Elite and a Taka. The Taka is stock except for Funn bar, stem, grips and pedals. All of my photo sites are blocked here at work, so I'll put up links to some pics for now.

    Taka: www.sorba.org • View topic - My New Airborne Taka DH Rig

    My Zeppelin Elite is the bike I kinda went nuts on. I just transferred part from what used to be my race bike (2005 Klein Attitude XX). Here's what its got:
    Frame, rear shock, headset, shifters and front and rear derailleur are all what came on it.
    Fox F100RLC Fork
    FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Avid XO Brakes (185 F&R)
    Race Face Next Carbon Riser Bar
    Race Face Next LP Crank
    Race Face Turbine Seatpost
    WTB SST2K Seat
    Michelin Wild Race'r 2.00 Tires
    Race Face Stem
    Ergon Grips w/ Bar ends
    Crank Bros Egg Beater Pedals
    I believe that's it. Pic's of it (and my friends Zepp Elite) are here: AirborneGuy

    Pics when I first got it: www.sorba.org • View topic - Another New Ride

    And some pics from Sea Otter 2010 (should be some of these on my blog as well): www.sorba.org • View topic - My Sea Otter Trip with Airborne Bicycles

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey John,

    There are a few guys that sell coloured spokes on eBay that have very good pricing. Check there first.

    As far as spoke lengths go, here is what we calculated for the wheels. Please use these #'s as guidelines only.

    Front, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm
    Rear, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm

    Hope that helps~!
    okay thank you cause i am searching i see some are 281,236,266,290,186,258/259/261/263
    still confused do not know anything about spokes what do i need to type in to find them exatcly?
    i need the correct length of them

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    You may need to contact those sellers directly to see if they can cut them for you to your needed lengths.

    The lengths I gave you are for each side of each wheel due to dish. You'll need a total of 32 spokes of each of the sizes to build the two wheels.

    Thanks!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    95
    Is there a timeline for the release of hobgoblin or XO goblin specs/pricing?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    Is there a timeline for the release of hobgoblin or XO goblin specs/pricing?
    Please see this specific thread regarding the HobGoblin and its status, thanks!

    Airborne HobGoblin?
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Hmmm... well I have changed out the seat to a WTB Laser V and went Tubeless with a stans kit and a set of 2.25 schwalbe nobby nic snakeskins. Currently I have a set of wellgo b103 flat pedals on there but just picked up a set of shimano clipless pedals (m-530) so we will see how that goes. Everything else is holding up well. I do plan to get a setback Thomson and probably replace the stem and handlebars eventually but not right now. LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!






    Ordered a Guardian and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (should be here tmw afternoon)!

    One of the first changes I'd like to make is to use a stan's kit on the stock weinmann wheels and throw on some tubeless tires - how's the tubeless working on your goblin?

    Anyone had success with going tubeless on guardian with stock wheels? I've read in a couple places that there not room for much more than a 2.1, would a pair of 2.25 nobby nics work?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by j7hompson; 09-13-2012 at 04:17 PM.

  44. #44
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    I love being tubeless... run about 25 psi and its a nice cushy ride. I have the 2.25 nobby nics on my goblin and love em. They will work on your guardian also... same frame.

  45. #45
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    I love being tubeless... run about 25 psi and its a nice cushy ride. I have the 2.25 nobby nics on my goblin and love em. They will work on your guardian also... same frame.
    From what I've seen, 2.1 is about the widest tire you can use unless you do something with the FD on the Guardian. The Goblin has the X7 FD so it is not an issue.
    Nathan

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zukrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    261
    has anyone considered pulling the bolt that is the clearance issue and installing a rivet in its place?
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

  47. #47
    keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Reputation: codyh12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    From what I've seen, 2.1 is about the widest tire you can use unless you do something with the FD on the Guardian. The Goblin has the X7 FD so it is not an issue.
    Well that sucks... didn't know the FD caused a clearance issue

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by j7hompson View Post
    Ordered a Guardian and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (should be here tmw afternoon)!

    One of the first changes I'd like to make is to use a stan's kit on the stock weinmann wheels and throw on some tubeless tires - how's the tubeless working on your goblin?

    Anyone had success with going tubeless on guardian with stock wheels? I've read in a couple places that there not room for much more than a 2.1, would a pair of 2.25 nobby nics work?

    Thanks!
    I Put a Stans Kit on my Guardian. Make sure you get the All Mountain 29er kit.( the XC kit will be too narrow). The disc bull rims are really wide, so you'll need the width of the AM kit. Also I had problems taping up the spoke holes with the tape included in the kit. The holes are off set, so you can try two wraps of tape to cover the width, or buy a roll of the 25mm tape. I ended up having to buy the wider tape for my front wheel because it kept losing air through the spoke holes.

    This is with the stock Kenda SB8's.
    Last edited by swildnm; 09-14-2012 at 12:35 PM.

  49. #49
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Does anyone know how much the Weinmann Disc Bull wheels weigh? I'm really curious how much faster the Guardian would accelerate with a lighter wheelset. I can't even find the Disc Bulls online.
    Nathan

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    Heres a link to weimann's page on them. Not much useful there. Weinmann Metal Products Co., LTD

    looks like 635g for the 29er's without hubs, spokes etc.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •