• 09-05-2012
    Wildfifty
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes
    This is my Guardian, i've had it for about 4 months and have already started tweaking it.

    Main mod was the conversion from the stock 3x9 to a 2x9 by removing the largest chainring and replacing it with a bashguard.
    I broke the x5 RD, and replaced the front and back with x7 sram stuff.
    Upgraded the front tire with a Kenda Nevegal.
    and installed the BIONICON C-Guide.







    So far the bike has been great, it has been a great introduction to the mtb hobby. Let me know what you think.
  • 09-05-2012
    Carloswithac
    Red bikes are always faster. I like it!
  • 09-05-2012
    Barheet
    Love it! How's the new tire working for you up front?

    At first glance, I thought the SB8's would suck, but they are amazing. Doubt I'll be upgrading those until they wear out.
  • 09-05-2012
    Wildfifty
    Thanks guys!

    I really like the SB8's too. But they don't provide any puncture protection. So after 4 punctures, 3 in the front and 1 pinch in the back i got frustrated and picked up the beefier tire on the front. i have only had it on there for about a week. So far so good. i feel i can lean more into corners and bankings with it upfront.
  • 09-05-2012
    zukrider
    i like the chain guide. why do you go with it? never seen one before.

    what size?

    whats your stats?

    how you liking the X7's?
  • 09-05-2012
    Lenny7
    What is the purpose of the chain guide? I thought they were for single speed and what not.
  • 09-05-2012
    comphynum
    What pedals do you have?
  • 09-06-2012
    Wildfifty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    i like the chain guide. why do you go with it? never seen one before.

    what size?

    whats your stats?

    how you liking the X7's?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    What is the purpose of the chain guide? I thought they were for single speed and what not.

    The chainguide can be found here Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide
    It prevents the chain from bouncing around and falling off the front chainrings. since i have used it i have not had the chain come off even once.

    My Guardian is an 18 inch, im 5'7 165lbs 30 inseam.

    the x7 fd was def a noticeable upgrade in shifting and rear tire clearance. the rd i havne't noticed any major difference between the x5 and x7.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by comphynum View Post
    What pedals do you have?

    These are a set of Wellgo MG-1's.
  • 09-06-2012
    swl7
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post

    My Guardian is an 18 inch, im 5'7 165lbs 30 inseam.

    These are a set of Wellgo MG-1's.

    How's the 18" for your size? Does it run a little big? I'm about the same size, but a little lighter, and I'm probably going with a 16". I guess it could all be personal preference up to a certain point.
  • 09-06-2012
    Barheet
    Did you have to get a new chain for that drivetrain?
  • 09-06-2012
    Wildfifty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    How's the 18" for your size? Does it run a little big? I'm about the same size, but a little lighter, and I'm probably going with a 16". I guess it could all be personal preference up to a certain point.

    i don't feel it being big. i think its perfect for my size. I like the more aggressive stance

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Did you have to get a new chain for that drivetrain?

    no, but i feel i might be able to shorten it some to get even better shifting. i need to figure out how to remove some of the links.
  • 09-06-2012
    max-a-mill
    if you remove some links you should be able to ditch the chainguide.

    you shouldn't need that extra bit of resistance in your drivetrain if it is properly setup but if you like it go with it.
  • 09-06-2012
    ams.jelapang
    need hellpp!




    Hye. can some want give me suggestion on using this bike. (i'm very noob in this sport~)

    This is my very first MTB in my life. Please help me~ :confused:
  • 09-06-2012
    ams.jelapang
    this is my very first mtb in my life. please someone help me~~ :bluefrown:
  • 09-06-2012
    wobbem
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ams.jelapang View Post
    this is my very first mtb in my life. please someone help me~~ :bluefrown:

    Just go out and ride it fool :cool:
  • 09-06-2012
    Wildfifty
    Anybody else tweak their airborne?

    Aftermarket rims or bars?
  • 09-07-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's mine. :cool:
  • 09-07-2012
    codyh12345
    Hmmm... well I have changed out the seat to a WTB Laser V and went Tubeless with a stans kit and a set of 2.25 schwalbe nobby nic snakeskins. Currently I have a set of wellgo b103 flat pedals on there but just picked up a set of shimano clipless pedals (m-530) so we will see how that goes. Everything else is holding up well. I do plan to get a setback Thomson and probably replace the stem and handlebars eventually but not right now. LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!







    My friend on the right liked my goblin so much he went and got one of his own!





    Oh and the best upgrade of all.... the monkey!



  • 09-07-2012
    Barheet
    I saw on another thread somewhere that a guy upgraded the bar with a black 9 degree sweep bar, but I never heard if he liked it better or why he even did it.

    I like the idea of the 2 ring FD but I would probably just remove the outer ring and add a bashguard. The only other thing I'd like to upgrade on my Guardian is the wheels. I feel like there's a lot of weight there but I can't verify that an upgrade would make a big difference because I've never seen it done.
  • 09-07-2012
    swl7
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Here's mine. :cool:

    dang the black looks so nice
  • 09-07-2012
    codyh12345
    Well I can tell you that my brother in laws 22 lb. Niner pedals a lot easier than my 28 lb. Goblin. But his was 2X the price of mine. You would notice a lighter wheelset but you can almost offset those weight savings with a beefy/heavy set of tires. Going Tubeless doesn't offer much, if any, weight savings but does offer convenience and the ability to run lower tire pressures.
  • 09-07-2012
    Barheet
    I don't know if I'd call tubeless more convenient. I don't know if I'll ever go tubeless because, like you said, there's no weight savings and it looks like a ton of work. Not to mention, I've never had a flat while mountain biking...ever. It makes me regret carrying around an extra tube, tire levers and pump for the past 20 years. But I know the first time I didn't, I'd get my first flat.

    Interestingly, I've had several flats on my road bike. Seem ironic.
  • 09-07-2012
    Barheet
    I noticed both of you are running Black Flag wheels. That's not stock is it? I thought the Goblin had WTB wheels. Aren't BF's like $600?
  • 09-07-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!
  • 09-07-2012
    Barheet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!

    That sounds good. I can never justify (in my mind) spending $600+ on a $1200 bike. But I would spend more to get the better components like you just mentioned.
  • 09-07-2012
    codyh12345
    I don't have black flags but my brother in law does. VERY nice wheelset!

    I think you would like Tubeless if you did it. The ability to run lower pressures really let's your tires hook into the dirt. My Nic's are like velcro in hero dirt at about 23 psi.
  • 09-07-2012
    codyh12345
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!

    Bring back the greeeeeen! Haha.

    BTW, I'm digging that toxin... sexy all around.
  • 09-07-2012
    Wildfifty
    Sweet bikes. I too am considering upgrading wheel sets but I get overwhelmed by the number of optionout there. Plus the cost seems to be pretty great for a fraction of weight savings. Keep them coming!
  • 09-07-2012
    OilburnerDe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm running the Black Flag Pro's which are a bit pricey but a very nice wheelset. Definitely stiffer and lighter than the stock WTB's.

    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!!

    Oh great, after I commit to a pre-order of the new Goblin! :madmax:
    Now am filled with much regret....:(

    Nah, not really, probably out of my price range anyway.

    Interested what that range is though....
  • 09-07-2012
    Sleevem1
    +1 ^^
    I too preordered the Goblin and do not need to see this. They're killin me.
  • 09-11-2012
    jhazard
    My Guardian...
    ...two ways:

    XC trail cruising:

    Basically stock, with a 0 rise stem and very low rise Azonic bars
    ..and my techy trail setup:

    70mm Sunline stem, Spank 777 bars, and Kenda Nevegal 2.3s.
  • 09-11-2012
    Barheet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    ...two ways:

    XC trail cruising:

    Basically stock, with a 0 rise stem and very low rise Azonic bars
    ..and my techy trail setup:

    70mm Sunline stem, Spank 777 bars, and Kenda Nevegal 2.3s.

    How did you get the 2.3's to fit with the FD?

    Did you upgrade the wheels? What are those?
  • 09-11-2012
    john symos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigdaddyflyer View Post
    here's mine. :cool:

    what i would not to get a bike like your love how you have two spokes on the front & rear white colored
    searching for color spokes my self got any idea what color i can put on the 2013 new goblin ?
  • 09-11-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by john symos View Post
    what i would not to get a bike like your love how you have two spokes on the front & rear white colored
    searching for color spokes my self got any idea what color i can put on the 2013 new goblin ?

    Those wheels on my Goblin prototype are Black Flag Pro's. They come stock with the two white spokes per wheel. It's a cool look while the wheel is at speed.

    I think the bikes look great with black spokes as is. White spokes might be interesting too.
  • 09-11-2012
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    How did you get the 2.3's to fit with the FD?

    Did you upgrade the wheels? What are those?

    My bad, I neglected to mention I upgraded to an X7 FD, so no clearance issue (Wheels are WTBs).

    Even though I'm a true fat tire fan (always rock at least a 2.25, prefer 2.3 or even 2.4) - after a week on the Nevegals, I have to say the SB8's roll SO much faster, and offer such good traction that I'm not sure I see/notice a benefit to the Nevegals.

    I'm putting the SB8's back on, and will save the Nevegals for fall when it gets a little wet/muddy/more dirty, or for when I eventually get a Hobgoblin :)
  • 09-11-2012
    john symos
    okay do you may be idea where i can look for the new spokes
    may i have the specs of the new goblin spokes or just let me say the entire wheelset INCLUDING THE SPOKES DIAMETER & length i went on the net & could not find out how long the spokes are that i need how many mm. Is there maybe something i need to know
    CAUSE I AM SEARCHING FOR GREEN SPOKES NOT TO DARK NOT TO BRIGHT OR WHITE.
    OR MAYBE WHITE OR GREEN NIPPLES
  • 09-12-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by john symos View Post
    okay do you may be idea where i can look for the new spokes
    may i have the specs of the new goblin spokes or just let me say the entire wheelset INCLUDING THE SPOKES DIAMETER & length i went on the net & could not find out how long the spokes are that i need how many mm. Is there maybe something i need to know
    CAUSE I AM SEARCHING FOR GREEN SPOKES NOT TO DARK NOT TO BRIGHT OR WHITE.
    OR MAYBE WHITE OR GREEN NIPPLES

    Hey John,

    There are a few guys that sell coloured spokes on eBay that have very good pricing. Check there first.

    As far as spoke lengths go, here is what we calculated for the wheels. Please use these #'s as guidelines only.

    Front, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm
    Rear, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm

    Hope that helps~!
  • 09-12-2012
    88StangGT
    I have a Zeppelin Elite and a Taka. The Taka is stock except for Funn bar, stem, grips and pedals. All of my photo sites are blocked here at work, so I'll put up links to some pics for now.

    Taka: www.sorba.org • View topic - My New Airborne Taka DH Rig

    My Zeppelin Elite is the bike I kinda went nuts on. I just transferred part from what used to be my race bike (2005 Klein Attitude XX). Here's what its got:
    Frame, rear shock, headset, shifters and front and rear derailleur are all what came on it.
    Fox F100RLC Fork
    FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Avid XO Brakes (185 F&R)
    Race Face Next Carbon Riser Bar
    Race Face Next LP Crank
    Race Face Turbine Seatpost
    WTB SST2K Seat
    Michelin Wild Race'r 2.00 Tires
    Race Face Stem
    Ergon Grips w/ Bar ends
    Crank Bros Egg Beater Pedals
    I believe that's it. Pic's of it (and my friends Zepp Elite) are here: AirborneGuy

    Pics when I first got it: www.sorba.org • View topic - Another New Ride

    And some pics from Sea Otter 2010 (should be some of these on my blog as well): www.sorba.org • View topic - My Sea Otter Trip with Airborne Bicycles
  • 09-12-2012
    john symos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey John,

    There are a few guys that sell coloured spokes on eBay that have very good pricing. Check there first.

    As far as spoke lengths go, here is what we calculated for the wheels. Please use these #'s as guidelines only.

    Front, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm
    Rear, 3X lacing: 288mm and 286mm

    Hope that helps~!

    okay thank you cause i am searching i see some are 281,236,266,290,186,258/259/261/263
    still confused do not know anything about spokes what do i need to type in to find them exatcly?
    i need the correct length of them
  • 09-13-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    You may need to contact those sellers directly to see if they can cut them for you to your needed lengths.

    The lengths I gave you are for each side of each wheel due to dish. You'll need a total of 32 spokes of each of the sizes to build the two wheels.

    Thanks!

    Jeremy
  • 09-13-2012
    Vettevert
    Is there a timeline for the release of hobgoblin or XO goblin specs/pricing?
  • 09-13-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    Is there a timeline for the release of hobgoblin or XO goblin specs/pricing?

    Please see this specific thread regarding the HobGoblin and its status, thanks!

    http://forums.mtbr.com/airborne/airb...in-811362.html
  • 09-13-2012
    j7hompson
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Hmmm... well I have changed out the seat to a WTB Laser V and went Tubeless with a stans kit and a set of 2.25 schwalbe nobby nic snakeskins. Currently I have a set of wellgo b103 flat pedals on there but just picked up a set of shimano clipless pedals (m-530) so we will see how that goes. Everything else is holding up well. I do plan to get a setback Thomson and probably replace the stem and handlebars eventually but not right now. LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!







    Ordered a Guardian and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (should be here tmw afternoon)!

    One of the first changes I'd like to make is to use a stan's kit on the stock weinmann wheels and throw on some tubeless tires - how's the tubeless working on your goblin?

    Anyone had success with going tubeless on guardian with stock wheels? I've read in a couple places that there not room for much more than a 2.1, would a pair of 2.25 nobby nics work?

    Thanks!
  • 09-13-2012
    codyh12345
    I love being tubeless... run about 25 psi and its a nice cushy ride. I have the 2.25 nobby nics on my goblin and love em. They will work on your guardian also... same frame.
  • 09-13-2012
    Barheet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    I love being tubeless... run about 25 psi and its a nice cushy ride. I have the 2.25 nobby nics on my goblin and love em. They will work on your guardian also... same frame.

    From what I've seen, 2.1 is about the widest tire you can use unless you do something with the FD on the Guardian. The Goblin has the X7 FD so it is not an issue.
  • 09-13-2012
    zukrider
    has anyone considered pulling the bolt that is the clearance issue and installing a rivet in its place?
  • 09-13-2012
    codyh12345
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    From what I've seen, 2.1 is about the widest tire you can use unless you do something with the FD on the Guardian. The Goblin has the X7 FD so it is not an issue.

    Well that sucks... didn't know the FD caused a clearance issue
  • 09-14-2012
    swildnm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by j7hompson View Post
    Ordered a Guardian and am eagerly awaiting its arrival (should be here tmw afternoon)!

    One of the first changes I'd like to make is to use a stan's kit on the stock weinmann wheels and throw on some tubeless tires - how's the tubeless working on your goblin?

    Anyone had success with going tubeless on guardian with stock wheels? I've read in a couple places that there not room for much more than a 2.1, would a pair of 2.25 nobby nics work?

    Thanks!

    I Put a Stans Kit on my Guardian. Make sure you get the All Mountain 29er kit.( the XC kit will be too narrow). The disc bull rims are really wide, so you'll need the width of the AM kit. Also I had problems taping up the spoke holes with the tape included in the kit. The holes are off set, so you can try two wraps of tape to cover the width, or buy a roll of the 25mm tape. I ended up having to buy the wider tape for my front wheel because it kept losing air through the spoke holes.

    This is with the stock Kenda SB8's.
  • 09-14-2012
    Barheet
    Does anyone know how much the Weinmann Disc Bull wheels weigh? I'm really curious how much faster the Guardian would accelerate with a lighter wheelset. I can't even find the Disc Bulls online.
  • 09-14-2012
    swildnm
    Heres a link to weimann's page on them. Not much useful there. Weinmann Metal Products Co., LTD

    looks like 635g for the 29er's without hubs, spokes etc.
  • 09-14-2012
    j7hompson
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I Put a Stans Kit on my Guardian. Make sure you get the All Mountain 29er kit.( the XC kit will be too narrow). The disc bull rims are really wide, so you'll need the width of the AM kit. Also I had problems taping up the spoke holes with the tape included in the kit. The holes are off set, so you can try two wraps of tape to cover the width, or buy a roll of the 25mm tape. I ended up having to buy the wider tape for my front wheel because it kept loosing air through the spoke holes.

    This is with the stock Kenda SB8's.

    Thanks, this is great - you saved me a lot if trouble!



    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  • 09-14-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Well that sucks... didn't know the FD caused a clearance issue

    It's no issue with the stock tires, however if one goes wider there is a chance for rub when shifted down into the smallest front chainring. The more expensive FD's like the X7/X9 series have a narrower profile due to the rivot attachment method so they are a good upgrade if one is concerned about putting larger tires on the bike and likes to use the little front ring.

    We'd love to spec the next generation of the Guardian (late 2013 maybe) with a 2x10 X5 set-up but it would push the bike up and over the $599 pricepoint.

    Jeremy
  • 09-18-2012
    bigherb
    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!![/QUOTE]


    Any clue what fork will be on this bike? Very interested. Might have to change my bike snob ways.
  • 09-19-2012
    john symos
    GO AIRBORNE !!!! MAKE YOUR NAME COMPETE AT YOUR VERY BEST CAUSE THERE ARE BIG NAMES OUT THERE WHO MADE IT, NOW IT'S UP TO AIRBORNE TO GO & TAKE THE TITLE . (Y)
    CAN'T WAIT FOR MY NEW GOBLIN TO ARRIVE ! :D :p
  • 09-21-2012
    poontank
    3 Attachment(s)
    More Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro's :) Also upgraded to the Fox fork, Answer XC handlebar, XT brakes and Thomson stem and seatpost.
  • 09-21-2012
    Wildfifty
    Poontank that goblin looks great is it a 18?

    what fox shock did you go with?
  • 09-21-2012
    poontank
    I went with the 32 F29 RLC with 15mm TA. Great fork and the gold just happens to look bomber with the rest of the bike :)

    And yes, it is an 18" frame.
  • 09-21-2012
    zukrider
    have had my Guardian less than a month. here are some changes and some thoughts.

    PARTS CHANGES:

    swapped fork to Rockshox recon silver TK29 solo-air. Love it!

    swapped rear rotor to 185. first ride due 9-23-12, @ 9AM

    swapping front rotor to 203. waiting for bracket.

    changed seat to Specialized take off at LBS from previous bike. original bent down to the post!

    swapped front derailleur to SRAM XGen. first ride due 9-23-12, @ 9AM

    PLANS/NEEDS:

    my rear axle is bent. the guardian is not Fat Kid friendly! im 270#. no jumping. no crazy DH'ing. some, but minimal, seated descending.

    SO, my next upgrade will be a rear wheel set, then later, a front to match.



    BUT

    I still love this bike!
  • 09-22-2012
    poontank
    Here is a little something we put together during the Wingman upgrade process.

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SQUqCleA0gs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 09-25-2012
    swildnm
    My Guardian, with a RaceFace Atlas bar, Stans Notubes, X9 front der and a Reba fork.

    My wife's Skyhawk with Stans Notubes, a Charge Ladle saddle, RaceFace Ride 70mm stem and seatpost, Ritchy WCS Ergo grips, and an '07 Marzocchi XC700 fork.

    Sorry no cool backdrops just quick pics in the driveway.
  • 09-25-2012
    beowulf62
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    My Guardian, with a RaceFace Atlas bar, Stans Notubes, X9 front der and a Reba fork.

    My wife's Skyhawk with Stans Notubes, a Charge Ladle saddle, RaceFace Ride 70mm stem and seatpost, Ritchy WCS Ergo grips, and an '07 Marzocchi XC700 fork.

    Sorry no cool backdrops just quick pics in the driveway.

    Is that a Race Face Atlas low bar or high bar?
  • 09-25-2012
    swildnm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by beowulf62 View Post
    Is that a Race Face Atlas low bar or high bar?

    Its the low Atlas.
  • 09-26-2012
    swildnm
    Someone PMed me about going tubeless on the guardian. But i cant respond privately because I don't have enough posts. So I'll stick it here and get one post closer.

    So far it has been great, It was a little difficult to set up at first because of the thin tape included with the kit. but with wider tape everything went well, and they don't lose air at all. I don't see why you couldn't do it with just rim tape, stems and sealant.
  • 09-26-2012
    Barheet
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Someone PMed me about going tubeless on the guardian. But i cant respond privately because I don't have enough posts. So I'll stick it here and get one post closer.

    So far it has been great, It was a little difficult to set up at first because of the thin tape included with the kit. but with wider tape everything went well, and they don't lose air at all. I don't see why you couldn't do it with just rim tape, stems and sealant.

    Ok thanks. I'm going to try a gorilla tape ghetto tubeless setup this weekend and see how that works. I've have 4 flats in the past week and a half so I'm getting really frustrated. I previously had no flats for the past 3 months.
  • 09-26-2012
    Wildfifty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Ok thanks. I'm going to try a gorilla tape ghetto tubeless setup this weekend and see how that works. I've have 4 flats in the past week and a half so I'm getting really frustrated. I previously had no flats for the past 3 months.

    Its those sb8s. They offer very little puncture protection. I was getting flat just ridding on gravel. Hence why I upgraded to the nevegal. I love how fast rolling they were but I was fed up with punctures.


    swildnm . What Reba fork did you go with? Is it a 80mm or 100?
  • 09-26-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    We ride SB8's in Ohio 7-8 months of the year with no problems. Something else must be going on.
  • 09-26-2012
    jhazard
    Pressure?
    I was initially sketchy about the SB8s, but I gave them a fair shake and really dig how fast they roll. Since may, I've yet to experience a flat. The video demonstrates the terrain my SB8s survived, repeatedly over the season.

    maybe your pressure is just a hair too low...

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/43208622" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="309" width="550"></iframe>
  • 09-26-2012
    swl7
    i also agree the SB8's aren't as bad as people have been saying. I just rode over the greenbelt in Austin and I'm going to probably see my front der rip off before my tires get a flat. My tires aren't tubeless or anything. I'm riding fine at about 30-35 psi
  • 09-26-2012
    Barheet
    Yeah like I said, I had no problems for months. I don't think it's the tires...I did check the inside of the tires repeatedly to make sure there weren't any leftover thorns. The last flat I got was a snakebite, so I'm guessing I lost some pressure while riding and just didn't notice. Loss of pressure was probably due to either a bad patch or a small hole I didn't find. Either way, tires are great but they are about to meet Mr. Stan.
  • 09-26-2012
    Barheet
    Hey Jerry, when are you going to tell me the name of the song in that video?
  • 09-26-2012
    jkidd_39
    1 Attachment(s)
    Oops. No mods yet. I'll have to get on that
  • 09-26-2012
    codyh12345
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Ok thanks. I'm going to try a gorilla tape ghetto tubeless setup this weekend and see how that works. I've have 4 flats in the past week and a half so I'm getting really frustrated. I previously had no flats for the past 3 months.

    We did the ghetto method on a friends sette razzo a couple of weeks ago.... worked very well. FYI we just cut some stems out of some old tubes instead of buying the $16 ones from the shop. They hold air fine and he loves it.
  • 09-27-2012
    swildnm
    Are there any Airborne Graphics available that would fit on the forks on these two? I thought I saw some somewhere...

  • 09-27-2012
    jkidd_39
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Are there any Airborne Graphics available that would fit on the forks on these two? I thought I saw some somewhere...


    They sent me a sticker pack on my order. I can measure them out if you like. I'll even send them to ya. I just need one for my toolbox. Not really a sticker person on trucks n such. Attachment 726886
  • 09-27-2012
    swildnm
    Thanks for the offer, They look like they will fit. I've got to order some spare derailleur hangers from them anyway, I'll just get some stickers from them then.
  • 09-28-2012
    swildnm
    Called Airborne today. They had no derailleur hangers but they are sending me some stickers. Ordered hangers from derailleurhanger.com.
  • 09-28-2012
    jkidd_39
    1 Attachment(s)
    Finally modified my new toy!
    Nukeproof slide on grips
    Nukeproof electron pedals
    Awesome pink Troy lee gloves!
    Attachment 727182
  • 09-30-2012
    jhazard
    My Airborne Freeride and Downhill rigs
    Marauder:



    Shimano Deore cranks/bb & Dual control shifters/disc brakes.
    E-thirteen bash guard.
    Kona Pedals with extra set screws added for traction.

    200mm rotors front and rear.

    Marzocchi Coil rear shock.

    Marzocchi 66 180mm fork

    Uno seat post
    Salsa QR seat post clamp

    Velocity Blunt Wheels
    Shimano XT hubs

    CST BFT tires f/r - 2.5 width

    Marrow Components FR/DH stem
    sunline 745 Bars untrimmed

    Lizard Skins Peaty bolt on gips.

    coming mods: finding a shorter-stroke shock.

    Love it.


    The Taka:



    Current Taka:

    Stock Taka Frame - paint stripped to raw aluminum, no clear coat.

    Stock - Marzocchi 888 RV fork

    Stock - Gravity Cranks/bb

    Stock - E-13 LG-1 chainguide with taco

    Upgrades/changes:

    Rock Shox Kage coil shock

    Function direct mount stem/crown combo

    Sunline V-1 745mm bars

    Lizard Skins Peaty grips

    Avid Elixr disc brakes

    Sun MTX 33 wheelset

    Gamut 34 T Chainring

    Tires: Kenda Telonix DH casing/super tacky compound in 2.6 size (CST BFT tires pictured)

    Shifter: SRAM X7 - Deraileur: SRAM RIVAL short cage - Cassette: 10 spd road cassette - (cassette pictured is random spare part from inital spring set up)

    SDG - I-Beam seat post and I-Fly saddle

    Pedals - (pictured) Azonic 420s - Currently running Kona jack sh*t pedals with extra set screws for traction (same as set up on Marauder)

    Future upgrades/changes: Looking for a Boxxer | Deity bars, pedals and saddle | Going back to Azonic Outlaw wheels for next season. The MTX wheels were great, durable and light - and if I only rode Winter Park or similar, they'd be perfect. But there's a few places I like to ride that will destroy ANY wheelset, so cheap & strong will be the way to go.
  • 09-30-2012
    j7hompson
    Not too many modifications yet:

    • *The pedals are Shimano M646 DX spd, scavenged them from my older FS bike.
    • *Used an old inner tube as a chainstay protector
    • *One of the rails bent on the stock Selle San Marco saddle so I swapped it for a Specialized saddle I had lying around.


I'd like to swap out the front derailleur to a 2011 SRAM x9 but wasn't sure which type/size would be best:


  • 09-30-2012
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by j7hompson View Post
    Not too many modifications yet:

    • *The pedals are Shimano M646 DX spd, scavenged them from my older FS bike.
    • *Used an old inner tube as a chainstay protector
    • *One of the rails bent on the stock Selle San Marco saddle so I swapped it for a Specialized saddle I had lying around.


    I'd like to swap out the front derailleur to a 2011 SRAM x9 but wasn't sure which type/size would be best:


    Looking good.

    I have a set of the those same pedals - though I doubt I'll ever use them unless I decide I don't like my 510's later on. They work great though. Amazing how well the inner tubes work to quiet the bike down (for the chainstay protector).

    Not sure which front Der. you'll need, maybe BigDaddy will chime in later on...
  • 10-01-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Hiigh Clamp, Top Pull, 34.9.
  • 10-01-2012
    dhpeteinsc
    1 Attachment(s)
    My XC bike :thumbsup:
  • 10-12-2012
    Barheet
    Just an update on my problem. My gorilla tape tubeless conversion went flawlessly. I used a portable air tank for the blast of air and Stan's sealant. No problems so far. I might be imagining things, but I feel a slight difference in weight. My acceleration is a bit crisper as a result.
  • 10-12-2012
    zukrider
    That's great Nathan. How much tube did you leave around the presta valve? Or did you buy tubeless valves? Any pics?
  • 10-13-2012
    Barheet
    I barely left any tube around the valves. I had two different tubes I cut from...one of them had a bit more of a "bump" around the valve, but both seated well. No pics, but here is the exact strategy I used:

    1. Removed rim strip, wiped down rim.
    2. Cut gorilla tape to approx enough to go inside the rim. Had one rim with a wider cut than the other, and the wider cut seated easier. So, cut it just narrow enough to fit inside the rim.
    3. Cut a hole in the valve hole.
    4. Cut valve out of old tube and cut it all the way down getting rid of almost all the tube surrounding the valve. Insert valve into rim.
    5. Inserted a new strip of tape over the valve. I used about 2 feet of tape.
    6. Seat the tire on the rim. Don't put sealant in yet.
    7. Put soapy water on the tire.
    8. Beat the outside of the tire down to get the beads to seat on the rim. You might have to do this for a few minutes. When you think it's seated well, use an air compressor (or portable air tank) with presta adaper. You should be able to see where the holes are with the soapy water. This step took me a couple of tries. When the tire is starting to fill with air, it's properly seated.
    9. Use a tire lever to unseat a couple inches of bead at the bottom of the tire. (keep valve at the top)
    10. Pour in sealant. Reseat the bead.
    11. You might need more soapy water at this point.
    12. Air up tire. It should pop when it's seated correctly. Now do the "Shake and turn" method like on the Stan's video. Set the tire on a bucket, shake and turn, set tire on bucket, rinse and repeat until bubbles are gone.
  • 10-13-2012
    Barheet
    Oh I almost forgot to cut the second strip of tape that went over the valve. But I figured it out when I went to air up the tire. haha. Important step, that one.
  • 10-14-2012
    aikane
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Finally modified my new toy!
    Nukeproof slide on grips
    Nukeproof electron pedals
    Awesome pink Troy lee gloves!
    Attachment 727182

    I like the black and white color scheme. Take the reflector off the spokes......thats so Walmart.:D
  • 10-14-2012
    jkidd_39
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    I like the black and white color scheme. Take the reflector off the spokes......thats so Walmart.:D

    Thanks! I've been lazy. Haven't removed the reflectors yet. Trying to squeeze in as much riding as possible before winter. Here she is muddyAttachment 730754
  • 11-03-2012
    Barheet
    Here's mine fresh off a 25 mile ride this afternoon. Changes include the Reba fork, tubeless conversion, and Ergon grips. I'm halfway through my 1x9 conversion but Amazon sent me the wrong size jumpstop, so I shortened the chain anyway and ran it as is in the middle cog. Didn't have any jumps all day. Also noticed a huge difference in weight. Ran the whole 25 miles without going into my lowest gear and it climbs like a rocket now.

    However, I got the tires a bit too low. If you look close you can probably see where I burped out some sealant on the back tire. A friend told me to run it less than 20 PSI. That's what I get for following a friend's advice, eh? I think 24 PSI is about right for me, especially since they are stock rims and tires.

    Fork is running very well. I bottomed it out running 120 PSI so I filled it to 140 PSI and you can see it almost bottomed out but not quite. Still a very nice, cushy ride.
  • 11-03-2012
    jkidd_39
    1 Attachment(s)
    Added a Fox Float 32 RLC. Loving it. Just took my brand new Oakley jury glasses I got off price point. And lost them on the tailgate of my truck. FML. Attachment 735132
  • 11-03-2012
    alexzhu1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Added a Fox Float 32 RLC. Loving it. Just took my brand new Oakley jury glasses I got off price point. And lost them on the tailgate of my truck. FML. Attachment 735132

    Nice, how much travel does that fork have and how much did you get it for? I'm looking at upgrading front suspension on my Zeppelin too--I jammed the U-Turn of the stock Tora, plus they're very sticky feeling (don't slide up and down well) anyways.
  • 11-04-2012
    jkidd_39
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    Nice, how much travel does that fork have and how much did you get it for? I'm looking at upgrading front suspension on my Zeppelin too--I jammed the U-Turn of the stock Tora, plus they're very sticky feeling (don't slide up and down well) anyways.

    It's a 100mm fork. I believe you can change that with spacers however. I gave $200 for it used. The thing that amazed me is how heavy the tora is. I bet I shaved darn near 2lbs by swapping forks
  • 11-08-2012
    zukrider
    SS Rigid Guardian
    just completed the conversion to SS, pending a full ride!

    I swapped in a rigid Voodoo Zombie fork. while taking things apart, i decided a good bath was in order! Also, ive been considering forcing myself to run 1x9, as this is the setup ill be riding my yelli in. well, one thing led to another, and it started turning into a single speed!

    so, the fork



    mounted



    the crank arm removed to delete the granny ring- swl7, i think you were tightening on yours, cause mine came right off!





    Singlespeed parts!



    On-One Armada 19t cog, very nice gear! tonights ride will dictate if a 20t is a better idea!



    DMR sts tensioner. very nice product! i do believe that i have to much slack, but its fine for road so far. will see with a bumby downhill tonight if it will drop. if so, ill have to buy another chain, cause ive read that SRAM chains are not very half-link friendly.



    A little night ride love! seems good on my street so far. Cygolite Pace 350



    BEFORE:




    AFTER:
  • 11-08-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Looks good~

    Why would you need a half-link? The tensioner should eliminate that need. Looks like you need to take a full link out and you should be OK.
  • 11-08-2012
    zukrider
    thanx Jeremy. a full link is 3-4mm to short to reach. a half would be perfect! but if tonight dictates to get a 20 or 21, then i wont need the half.

    this is with the tensioner in full up position. full down was so loose the chain skipped under load. it rides fine around the neighborhood, just not sure of the trail yet!

  • 11-08-2012
    swl7
    nice, it looks great. I'm pretty sure I was turning my crank the correct way to loosen it :) i'm sure it's just different per bike. Maybe might was extra tight whoever/whatever put it on.
  • 11-08-2012
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Hmm, OK. With that much slack it certainly looks to me like a link out should be near perfect with the tensioner, but photos can be deceiving I guess.
  • 11-08-2012
    jhazard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    thanx Jeremy. a full link is 3-4mm to short to reach. a half would be perfect! but if tonight dictates to get a 20 or 21, then i wont need the half.

    this is with the tensioner in full up position. full down was so loose the chain skipped under load. it rides fine around the neighborhood, just not sure of the trail yet!


    Chain is Definitely too slack. It might not derail, but it will bounce around and more than likely skip under load. If a half link won't do, I'm sure there's a gearing ration you switch to. There used to be some sort of calculator on Sheldon Brown's website that you could punch in your chainstay length and and desired cog or chainwheel. It would return a range of gearing ratios that would fit.

    That said, I toyed with the idea of going single speed with mine, but I did almost two years of that a while back and found out my knees are getting too old. Looks great so far, dig that fork!
  • 11-09-2012
    h3hound
    1 Attachment(s)
    goblin mods for the coming marathon/xc season
    still having fun on the Gob. lightened some components on the front end and can feel a difference. running 110+/95- in the reba but may tweak this with more neg pressure (i am about 165lbs).

    last month's changes:
    easton EA70 seatpost
    carbon riser bar
    carbon/aluminum road 90mm stem
    pro lock on grips (lighter with single lock-on collar)
    avid juicy ultimates with carbon levers

    earlier mods:
    conti race king front tire - tubeless
    kenda sb8 rear tire - tubeless
    easton havoc 80mm stem (replaced)
    fizik cx seat
  • 11-09-2012
    zukrider
    so the ride last night was fun! definitely need a taller cog, so the half-link is a none issue at this point. will try a 20 and 21. maybe even a 22. hill climbing is not real easy! should make me super strong though!