Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Bought the frame on Tuesday, delivered on Saturday and assembled that day with a bunch of parts I had sitting in the closet, hence the purple bits. The fork is sitting at 120mm, I'll lower it eventually after the fox gets a few more hours on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post

Bought the frame on Tuesday, delivered on Saturday and assembled that day with a bunch of parts I had sitting in the closet, hence the purple bits. The fork is sitting at 120mm, I'll lower it eventually after the fox gets a few more hours on it.
    That is a very nice build. Looks as awesome as any other goblin but with purple added.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Yeah, the purple seems to fit that pretty good. Might be something for airborne to think about for future products.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member

Modified - with MUD

Here she is after the history trip - modified with mud!Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-modified-mud.jpg

But, even with 30 degree temps, I got the hose out and gave it a good cleaning - yes that white stuff is snow.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-all-clean.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

TXTony

Still Working On Mods

Been riding this thing everywhere the last few months...zero issues...next mods are Saddle,Stem,Tires,

mtbr member

It's a terrible (indoor) picture but the red on my Reba fork clashed with the bike. So I changed it up a bit.

Also new but not pictured is an FSA OS99 stem. It's really light!

How it looked:

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363697532.835631.jpg

New and improved!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363697416.435689.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice work!
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I see some people have upgraded forks on their skyhawks. Do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade the fork on this bike, seeing as how inexpensive of a bike it is? I just ordered one, and was considering using the Suntour upgrade program. You can get their Raidon fork for $150. This will be my first mountain bike, and I just bought it to get my feet wet. I plan on buying a nice 29er down the road if all goes well. I'll probably keep the Skyhawk though as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
    I see some people have upgraded forks on their skyhawks. Do you guys think it is worth it to upgrade the fork on this bike, seeing as how inexpensive of a bike it is? I just ordered one, and was considering using the Suntour upgrade program. You can get their Raidon fork for $150. This will be my first mountain bike, and I just bought it to get my feet wet. I plan on buying a nice 29er down the road if all goes well. I'll probably keep the Skyhawk though as well.
    It is pretty worth it. I've had to live with the fork for at least 65 miles of trail and it can be pretty bad on technical stuff or stuff with more than a little rocks or roots. So if you can spare the 150 to the upgrade program, do it.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Well racing seson has started here in Kansas took the Black Goblin out to do Natinol Mountain Baike Patrol for God's country Fat Tire Festival first day conditions for the Duratholon were nice temps in the 40's trail tread was hero dirtPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-598724_521225511252969_885433140_n.jpg
    The second day things got changed up a bit overnight we got 7 inches of snow after preriding the course we shortend it up a bit the drifts were waste high in sections. in the end the race went on and it was a blast.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-8586877851_a93c3993ba_o.jpg Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-521551_521589867883200_2035736128_n.jpg
    The Black Goblin got allot of attention both days with people being impressed with the build quality, weight and even a few got to take it for a quick spin.

mtbr member
    My Taka with the basic, much needed, upgrades.
    - Easton Havoc bars
    - Elixir R brakes
    - Peaty blue/gold lock-ons
    - VP-69 flats
    - 450lb rear spring
    - Quick release seat-post clamp

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag0358.jpg

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by BoozeFahba View Post
    My Taka with the basic, much needed, upgrades.
    - Easton Havoc bars
    - Elixir R brakes
    - Peaty blue/gold lock-ons
    - VP-69 flats
    - 450lb rear spring
    - Quick release seat-post clamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0358.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	785352
    Awesome rig

Airborne Flight Crew
    I modified my Wingman by adding a bunch of air beneath it, seems to ride better than way Can't believe they're letting this bike go for $499! (self Portrait)

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Going off of this, I'm thinking about getting the Skyhawk but for the trails around here, I would pretty much need to upgrade the fork right off the bat. Would it be better to just get the guardian instead or would that fork need a pretty quick upgrade as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It all is relative. I have the skyhawk which I just ordered the fork upgrade for (I've had it for 6 weeks) . With the guardian if you weigh more than 160 lbs. the fork will have some flex and should probably be upgraded. Also depends if you like 26" or 29" wheels. So it all depends what your looking for, either way you'll get a good product.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If it were a $500 bike would you ask the same question? $600? Because if from another company, a SRAM x4 with hydraulic discs would be in that range.

If xc is THAT enjoyable for me, I will probably be upgrading my fork within a month or two. If I REALLY get into it, I'll upgrade bikes (goblin, maybe), put the XCM back on the skyhawk and sell the bike and fork separately.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    If it were a $500 bike would you ask the same question? $600? Because if from another company, a SRAM x4 with hydraulic discs would be in that range.

If xc is THAT enjoyable for me, I will probably be upgrading my fork within a month or two. If I REALLY get into it, I'll upgrade bikes (goblin, maybe), put the XCM back on the skyhawk and sell the bike and fork separately.

Good point. I'm kind of in the same boat. If I really get into it I will probably buy a nice 29er in a couple months, and keep the Skyhawk as a spare. This is my first bike since I was a kid, but I was good on a bike back then and I race motocross so I think that experience will help me catch on quick.

Captain Climber
    Good point. I'm kind of in the same boat. If I really get into it I will probably buy a nice 29er in a couple months, and keep the Skyhawk as a spare. This is my first bike since I was a kid, but I was good on a bike back then and I race motocross so I think that experience will help me catch on quick.
    You sound like me. I haven't been on a bike since I was 15 and got my first motorcycle and got into motocross. I had done BMX right before that. I wish I never had the desire for motorcycles and had stayed on the bicycle. When I get my Skyhawk.. If I love XC like I hope I am going to skip the Guardian and go straight to the Goblin or HobGoblin. They are shipping my new Skyhawk today after sending my damaged one back. I hope Fedex doesn't damage this one.

Why don't you post a pic of yours? Is it more orange/bronze than you were expecting in person? I love the color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post

Not everyone can afford upgrades like the goblin which is why the upgrade program is perfect. Put the components you want when you can afford them.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    You sound like me. I haven't been on a bike since I was 15 and got my first motorcycle and got into motocross. I had done BMX right before that. I wish I never had the desire for motorcycles and had stayed on the bicycle. When I get my Skyhawk.. If I love XC like I hope I am going to skip the Guardian and go straight to the Goblin or HobGoblin. They are shipping my new Skyhawk today after sending my damaged one back. I hope Fedex doesn't damage this one.

Why don't you post a pic of yours? Is it more orange/bronze than you were expecting in person? I love the color.
    The color looked just as I expected, but I thought it looked a lot better in person. On the website I wasn't too pumped on it, but I really like it now that I have it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Not everyone can afford upgrades like the goblin which is why the upgrade program is perfect. Put the components you want when you can afford them.
    I know, I got off topic. My whole point was the Skyhawk shouldn't be considered "not worth modding" because it's cheap, since it's up to par with bikes that cost nearly
    twice as much.

I agree the skyhawk looks even better in person than in pictures. It's a great looking bike.

Captain Climber
    The color looked just as I expected, but I thought it looked a lot better in person. On the website I wasn't too pumped on it, but I really like it now that I have it.
    Nice... I got white pedals for mine as well. That is one of the best pics I've seen to represent the color.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That color is SWEET!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Aside from being modified with all the mud fresh form a ride here's how my Skyhawk sits:

Race Face evolve bar and stem
    Superstar lock on grips
    Suntour Raidon fork

Need to get some new pedals soon as I've bent the cage ones I threw on there, but debating whether to take the plunge and try clipless.

Loving the bike so far, perfect to get me back in the saddle and my style of riding means its standing up to its beatings well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-hunter-mill-20130420-00293.jpg  

Captain Climber
    Nice coxino... Just curious why you swapped the bars and stem and what difference it makes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice coxino... Just curious why you swapped the bars and stem and what difference it makes?
    The bars and stem were more personal preference than anything else. I already had them from a few bits I planned to build a bike with before pulling the trigger on the Skyhawk. I found the rise on the Skyhawk bars a little too much for me and the Race Face bars suit me much better. The wife likes a more upright ride so the original bars and stem are now being put to good use on her GT.

mtbr member

XX1 HobGoblin

This XX1-equipped HobGoblin belongs to one of our employees here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-johnhgxx1.jpg  

Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

Captain Climber
    That looks like yours Jeremy

TXTony
    Sweet build. Dig those wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    This XX1-equipped HobGoblin belongs to one of our employees here.
    Oh man! Thats nice!

mtbr member
    I'll ask again. How are the Vredestein tires?
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    As you can tell by the lack of dirt on the bike in the photo, it hasn't been ridden yet. So no feedback on those tires.

On the Black Panther's that are on my bike, I haven't spent enough time on them to give good feedback. My initial impressions are that they are way narrower than claimed, as my 2.2's actually measure 1.95. Corey from Vredestein tells me that they are an error and that production will be wider, but mentally I can't get over the narrowness when I look down at the front wheel. I've had a few rides on them and they feel "OK", however to be fair our trail conditions haven't been great as things are still wet and are only now starting to dry out.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Here she is after the history trip - modified with mud!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modified with mud.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	782056

But, even with 30 degree temps, I got the hose out and gave it a good cleaning - yes that white stuff is snow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all clean.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	782059
    Do you have a list of the modified components to bring it down to 25.2 lbs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

The stans crest wheels are probably the main contributor to the weight loss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang View Post
    Do you have a list of the modified components to bring it down to 25.2 lbs?
    As stated above, Stans Crest ZTR, Maxxis Ikon rear, Schwalbe RaRa front, along with niner carbon bar, stem and post.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    As you can tell by the lack of dirt on the bike in the photo, it hasn't been ridden yet. So no feedback on those tires.

On the Black Panther's that are on my bike, I haven't spent enough time on them to give good feedback. My initial impressions are that they are way narrower than claimed, as my 2.2's actually measure 1.95. Corey from Vredestein tells me that they are an error and that production will be wider, but mentally I can't get over the narrowness when I look down at the front wheel. I've had a few rides on them and they feel "OK", however to be fair our trail conditions haven't been great as things are still wet and are only now starting to dry out.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Interesting to hear about the width????? I don't think I could handle that amount of variation. But maybe like you said, it was a "early" production flaw.

Keep us posted on the ride and grip after you get some miles on them.

Thanks for the review though!
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This isn't really relevant but I need somewhere to vent...

I just modified my Zeppelin Elite by sending the rear derailleur into the spokes.

This is a kind of long story but, I had a lot of leftover parts from another bike that I sold (wheels, fork, cassette, tires), so I decided to buy a carbon frame and build it up. I got my chain tool before I got any of the parts so I decided to practice on it with my Zeppelin Elite. Unfortunately I took out a few chains too many and couldn't put them back in because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to completely remove the pins.

I tried spinning it in the largest gears on a workstand and it seemed fine so I went for a ride. Came up to a big hill and shifted into first while I was in the biggest ring, and the derailleur hanger snaps immediately, sending the rear derailleur into the spokes.

I hope I won't have to buy a new rear derailleur, but I already bought a new chain and derailleur hanger. Overall, I guess this isn't that bad but I'm really bummed since I won't have a bike to ride for a week because I just injured my Zeppelin and my other bike isn't built yet (just have the cables left to do) and I didn't want to spend more money on bikes after just dropping almost $600 on new frame and parts.

lmw
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New Goblin

Just getting started:

WTB Speed V Comp
    Azonic seat clamp
    680mm bars
    60mm stem
    lizard skin grips
    saguaro rear tire
    serfas brake pads
    SPD pedals

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-cam00077.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    Just getting started:

WTB Speed V Comp
    Azonic seat clamp
    680mm bars
    60mm stem
    lizard skin grips
    saguaro rear tire
    serfas brake pads
    SPD pedals

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00077.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	794662
    Great seat. I have the same one on my Pipedream Sirius and love it.
    by Silentfoe

Airborne Flight Crew
    Orange Hobgoblin on the trails of Albuquerque...

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    This isn't really relevant but I need somewhere to vent...

I just modified my Zeppelin Elite by sending the rear derailleur into the spokes.

This is a kind of long story but, I had a lot of leftover parts from another bike that I sold (wheels, fork, cassette, tires), so I decided to buy a carbon frame and build it up. I got my chain tool before I got any of the parts so I decided to practice on it with my Zeppelin Elite. Unfortunately I took out a few chains too many and couldn't put them back in because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to completely remove the pins.

I tried spinning it in the largest gears on a workstand and it seemed fine so I went for a ride. Came up to a big hill and shifted into first while I was in the biggest ring, and the derailleur hanger snaps immediately, sending the rear derailleur into the spokes.

I hope I won't have to buy a new rear derailleur, but I already bought a new chain and derailleur hanger. Overall, I guess this isn't that bad but I'm really bummed since I won't have a bike to ride for a week because I just injured my Zeppelin and my other bike isn't built yet (just have the cables left to do) and I didn't want to spend more money on bikes after just dropping almost $600 on new frame and parts.
    That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Mind if I ask..................why were you removing links from the Zepp chain? If it was the stock chain it the chain was long enough to allow for full suspension compression while in the big/big combo. If the chain is shortened and the suspension compresses while in larger gears, the RD runs out of take-up slack and gets ripped off, which is exactly what happened in your situation.

When you put a new chain on, let all of the air out of the rear shock, compress the suspension, shift into big/big, and route the chain. You want the RD to be in about a 45 degree angle to the ground. Then cut the chain to that length. Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy

NeedGod.com
    Great build, Jerry! Looks sick!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Mind if I ask..................why were you removing links from the Zepp chain? If it was the stock chain it the chain was long enough to allow for full suspension compression while in the big/big combo. If the chain is shortened and the suspension compresses while in larger gears, the RD runs out of take-up slack and gets ripped off, which is exactly what happened in your situation.

When you put a new chain on, let all of the air out of the rear shock, compress the suspension, shift into big/big, and route the chain. You want the RD to be in about a 45 degree angle to the ground. Then cut the chain to that length. Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    I removed the big (44T) ring in front so it's 22/32. I thought I would remove a few links since I didn't need as many now, and that way I could practice with the chain tool before my other parts (for other bike) came in--I was a little antsy to start wrenching on bikes.

I removed more links than I intended to and couldn't put them back on easily because I accidentally pushed the pins all the way off. It seemed fine on the workstand but that of course didn't take into account pedaling forces and suspension chain growth.

Can you guys ship the hanger I ordered last night?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    I removed the big (44T) ring in front so it's 22/32. I thought I would remove a few links since I didn't need as many now, and that way I could practice with the chain tool before my other parts (for other bike) came in--I was a little antsy to start wrenching on bikes.

I removed more links than I intended to and couldn't put them back on easily because I accidentally pushed the pins all the way off. It seemed fine on the workstand but that of course didn't take into account pedaling forces and suspension chain growth.

Can you guys ship the hanger I ordered last night?
    OK.

It should ship out either today or tomorrow.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    This has fast become my favorite rig.

Guardian - sort of upgraded or "Goblinized":

X7 drivetrain
    WTB wheels
    Hope skewer up front, stock skewer rear
    Reba Fork
    Love the Tektro brakes, kept 'em
    Swapped seatpost out to a silver Uno for 'bling factor'
    Spank 777 bars, cut to about 720mm
    Sunline V1 Stem - 50mm, blue body, silver faceplate
    Lizard Skins Peaty Grips, red & blue collars
    Blue ano QR seatpost clamp will have to do until I get a dropper
    Deity Decoy flats. LOVE these pedals.

I was running a pair Kenda Nevegal 2.3s, but for the most of the trails I'm riding, they're a bit overkill and the rolling resistance was a bummer. Put the SB8s back on, and even though they can slide out when really pushed, they roll so fast it's hard to not to run 'em.

Not much else I'll change on this ride. If I find the time, I'll lace some silver velocity blunts or P35's in there, really only for aesthetics. I'm weighing in at just about 28lbs, and I'm not really a weight conscious rider, so it's awesome. Last thing I'll ad will be (eventually) a 130mm or 140mm fork just to get a more aggressive AM sort of ride. But if that never happens, I'm still content - nice job Airborne!

First off, nice ride! I enjoy coming on here and seeing what people have done to their rigs to make them one of a kind.

I have a question about those Tektro brakes. How long are those brake pads lasting, and what sort of pads are you replacing them with? Are there any aftermarket pads out there that are much better than stock?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks, most fun hard tail I've ridden.

As for pad replacement, I'll have to defer to BDF. I've not worn mine yet to warrant replacement (on my Guardian or Wingman)....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks! So stoked on this setup.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Thanks, most fun hard tail I've ridden.

As for pad replacement, I'll have to defer to BDF. I've not worn mine yet to warrant replacement (on my Guardian or Wingman)....
    Thanks, that is good to hear! The Guardian is my first bike with hydraulic brakes and I can't get enough of them. I am in awe of the control and confidence those brakes give me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

My skyhawk is getting there even though it was there since I have had it.

I have changed or added:
    -WTB pure V seat
    - Specialized the captain 2.0 tires
    - lizard skin chainstay protector
    And last but not least the best of all
    - SR suntour Raidon RL fork

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21367274426.890531.jpg
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast