Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Called Airborne today. They had no derailleur hangers but they are sending me some stickers. Ordered hangers from derailleurhanger.com.

mtbr member
    Finally modified my new toy!
    Nukeproof slide on grips
    Nukeproof electron pedals
    Awesome pink Troy lee gloves!
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348876821.383876.jpg

Airborne Flight Crew

My Airborne Freeride and Downhill rigs

Marauder:

Shimano Deore cranks/bb & Dual control shifters/disc brakes.
    E-thirteen bash guard.
    Kona Pedals with extra set screws added for traction.

200mm rotors front and rear.

Marzocchi Coil rear shock.

Marzocchi 66 180mm fork

Uno seat post
    Salsa QR seat post clamp

Velocity Blunt Wheels
    Shimano XT hubs

CST BFT tires f/r - 2.5 width

Marrow Components FR/DH stem
    sunline 745 Bars untrimmed

Lizard Skins Peaty bolt on gips.

coming mods: finding a shorter-stroke shock.

Love it.

The Taka:

Current Taka:

Stock Taka Frame - paint stripped to raw aluminum, no clear coat.

Stock - Marzocchi 888 RV fork

Stock - Gravity Cranks/bb

Stock - E-13 LG-1 chainguide with taco

Upgrades/changes:

Rock Shox Kage coil shock

Function direct mount stem/crown combo

Sunline V-1 745mm bars

Lizard Skins Peaty grips

Avid Elixr disc brakes

Sun MTX 33 wheelset

Gamut 34 T Chainring

Tires: Kenda Telonix DH casing/super tacky compound in 2.6 size (CST BFT tires pictured)

Shifter: SRAM X7 - Deraileur: SRAM RIVAL short cage - Cassette: 10 spd road cassette - (cassette pictured is random spare part from inital spring set up)

SDG - I-Beam seat post and I-Fly saddle

Pedals - (pictured) Azonic 420s - Currently running Kona jack sh*t pedals with extra set screws for traction (same as set up on Marauder)

Future upgrades/changes: Looking for a Boxxer | Deity bars, pedals and saddle | Going back to Azonic Outlaw wheels for next season. The MTX wheels were great, durable and light - and if I only rode Winter Park or similar, they'd be perfect. But there's a few places I like to ride that will destroy ANY wheelset, so cheap & strong will be the way to go.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not too many modifications yet:

• *The pedals are Shimano M646 DX spd, scavenged them from my older FS bike.
    • *Used an old inner tube as a chainstay protector
    • *One of the rails bent on the stock Selle San Marco saddle so I swapped it for a Specialized saddle I had lying around.

5. I'd like to swap out the front derailleur to a 2011 SRAM x9 but wasn't sure which type/size would be best:

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by j7hompson View Post
    Not too many modifications yet:

• *The pedals are Shimano M646 DX spd, scavenged them from my older FS bike.
    • *Used an old inner tube as a chainstay protector
    • *One of the rails bent on the stock Selle San Marco saddle so I swapped it for a Specialized saddle I had lying around.

I'd like to swap out the front derailleur to a 2011 SRAM x9 but wasn't sure which type/size would be best:

Looking good.

I have a set of the those same pedals - though I doubt I'll ever use them unless I decide I don't like my 510's later on. They work great though. Amazing how well the inner tubes work to quiet the bike down (for the chainstay protector).

Not sure which front Der. you'll need, maybe BigDaddy will chime in later on...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Product Dude
    Hiigh Clamp, Top Pull, 34.9.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My XC bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-dsc00054.jpg  

Last edited by dhpeteinsc; 10-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.

NeedGod.com
    Just an update on my problem. My gorilla tape tubeless conversion went flawlessly. I used a portable air tank for the blast of air and Stan's sealant. No problems so far. I might be imagining things, but I feel a slight difference in weight. My acceleration is a bit crisper as a result.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    That's great Nathan. How much tube did you leave around the presta valve? Or did you buy tubeless valves? Any pics?
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

NeedGod.com
    I barely left any tube around the valves. I had two different tubes I cut from...one of them had a bit more of a "bump" around the valve, but both seated well. No pics, but here is the exact strategy I used:

1. Removed rim strip, wiped down rim.
    2. Cut gorilla tape to approx enough to go inside the rim. Had one rim with a wider cut than the other, and the wider cut seated easier. So, cut it just narrow enough to fit inside the rim.
    3. Cut a hole in the valve hole.
    4. Cut valve out of old tube and cut it all the way down getting rid of almost all the tube surrounding the valve. Insert valve into rim.
    5. Inserted a new strip of tape over the valve. I used about 2 feet of tape.
    6. Seat the tire on the rim. Don't put sealant in yet.
    7. Put soapy water on the tire.
    8. Beat the outside of the tire down to get the beads to seat on the rim. You might have to do this for a few minutes. When you think it's seated well, use an air compressor (or portable air tank) with presta adaper. You should be able to see where the holes are with the soapy water. This step took me a couple of tries. When the tire is starting to fill with air, it's properly seated.
    9. Use a tire lever to unseat a couple inches of bead at the bottom of the tire. (keep valve at the top)
    10. Pour in sealant. Reseat the bead.
    11. You might need more soapy water at this point.
    12. Air up tire. It should pop when it's seated correctly. Now do the "Shake and turn" method like on the Stan's video. Set the tire on a bucket, shake and turn, set tire on bucket, rinse and repeat until bubbles are gone.
    Nathan

NeedGod.com
    Oh I almost forgot to cut the second strip of tape that went over the valve. But I figured it out when I went to air up the tire. haha. Important step, that one.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Finally modified my new toy!
    Nukeproof slide on grips
    Nukeproof electron pedals
    Awesome pink Troy lee gloves!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348876821.383876.jpg 
Views:	2365 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	727182
    I like the black and white color scheme. Take the reflector off the spokes......thats so Walmart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aikane View Post
    I like the black and white color scheme. Take the reflector off the spokes......thats so Walmart.
    Thanks! I've been lazy. Haven't removed the reflectors yet. Trying to squeeze in as much riding as possible before winter. Here she is muddyPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350268273.943599.jpg

NeedGod.com
    Here's mine fresh off a 25 mile ride this afternoon. Changes include the Reba fork, tubeless conversion, and Ergon grips. I'm halfway through my 1x9 conversion but Amazon sent me the wrong size jumpstop, so I shortened the chain anyway and ran it as is in the middle cog. Didn't have any jumps all day. Also noticed a huge difference in weight. Ran the whole 25 miles without going into my lowest gear and it climbs like a rocket now.

However, I got the tires a bit too low. If you look close you can probably see where I burped out some sealant on the back tire. A friend told me to run it less than 20 PSI. That's what I get for following a friend's advice, eh? I think 24 PSI is about right for me, especially since they are stock rims and tires.

Fork is running very well. I bottomed it out running 120 PSI so I filled it to 140 PSI and you can see it almost bottomed out but not quite. Still a very nice, cushy ride.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Added a Fox Float 32 RLC. Loving it. Just took my brand new Oakley jury glasses I got off price point. And lost them on the tailgate of my truck. FML. Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351992701.835627.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Added a Fox Float 32 RLC. Loving it. Just took my brand new Oakley jury glasses I got off price point. And lost them on the tailgate of my truck. FML. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351992701.835627.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	735132
    Nice, how much travel does that fork have and how much did you get it for? I'm looking at upgrading front suspension on my Zeppelin too--I jammed the U-Turn of the stock Tora, plus they're very sticky feeling (don't slide up and down well) anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    Nice, how much travel does that fork have and how much did you get it for? I'm looking at upgrading front suspension on my Zeppelin too--I jammed the U-Turn of the stock Tora, plus they're very sticky feeling (don't slide up and down well) anyways.
    It's a 100mm fork. I believe you can change that with spacers however. I gave $200 for it used. The thing that amazed me is how heavy the tora is. I bet I shaved darn near 2lbs by swapping forks

mtbr member

SS Rigid Guardian

just completed the conversion to SS, pending a full ride!

I swapped in a rigid Voodoo Zombie fork. while taking things apart, i decided a good bath was in order! Also, ive been considering forcing myself to run 1x9, as this is the setup ill be riding my yelli in. well, one thing led to another, and it started turning into a single speed!

so, the fork

mounted

the crank arm removed to delete the granny ring- swl7, i think you were tightening on yours, cause mine came right off!

Singlespeed parts!

On-One Armada 19t cog, very nice gear! tonights ride will dictate if a 20t is a better idea!

DMR sts tensioner. very nice product! i do believe that i have to much slack, but its fine for road so far. will see with a bumby downhill tonight if it will drop. if so, ill have to buy another chain, cause ive read that SRAM chains are not very half-link friendly.

A little night ride love! seems good on my street so far. Cygolite Pace 350

BEFORE:

AFTER:
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    Looks good~

Why would you need a half-link? The tensioner should eliminate that need. Looks like you need to take a full link out and you should be OK.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    thanx Jeremy. a full link is 3-4mm to short to reach. a half would be perfect! but if tonight dictates to get a 20 or 21, then i wont need the half.

this is with the tensioner in full up position. full down was so loose the chain skipped under load. it rides fine around the neighborhood, just not sure of the trail yet!

2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    nice, it looks great. I'm pretty sure I was turning my crank the correct way to loosen it i'm sure it's just different per bike. Maybe might was extra tight whoever/whatever put it on.

Airborne Product Dude
    Hmm, OK. With that much slack it certainly looks to me like a link out should be near perfect with the tensioner, but photos can be deceiving I guess.
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    thanx Jeremy. a full link is 3-4mm to short to reach. a half would be perfect! but if tonight dictates to get a 20 or 21, then i wont need the half.

this is with the tensioner in full up position. full down was so loose the chain skipped under load. it rides fine around the neighborhood, just not sure of the trail yet!

Chain is Definitely too slack. It might not derail, but it will bounce around and more than likely skip under load. If a half link won't do, I'm sure there's a gearing ration you switch to. There used to be some sort of calculator on Sheldon Brown's website that you could punch in your chainstay length and and desired cog or chainwheel. It would return a range of gearing ratios that would fit.

That said, I toyed with the idea of going single speed with mine, but I did almost two years of that a while back and found out my knees are getting too old. Looks great so far, dig that fork!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member

goblin mods for the coming marathon/xc season

still having fun on the Gob. lightened some components on the front end and can feel a difference. running 110+/95- in the reba but may tweak this with more neg pressure (i am about 165lbs).

last month's changes:
    easton EA70 seatpost
    carbon riser bar
    carbon/aluminum road 90mm stem
    pro lock on grips (lighter with single lock-on collar)
    avid juicy ultimates with carbon levers

earlier mods:
    conti race king front tire - tubeless
    kenda sb8 rear tire - tubeless
    easton havoc 80mm stem (replaced)
    fizik cx seat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-gob-cockpit1.jpg  

mtbr member
    so the ride last night was fun! definitely need a taller cog, so the half-link is a none issue at this point. will try a 20 and 21. maybe even a 22. hill climbing is not real easy! should make me super strong though!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

• Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast