Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I got an amazing deal on a Manitou Circus Expert. Just finished getting it set up on my Wingman.

FR30 Laced to a 20mm Sun Ringle Jumping Flea

and a Cane Creek 44/40EC headset to adapt to a tapered steerer.

Dropped 2lbs. Taking her to the bike park tomorrow.
    Last edited by swildnm; 05-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.

CoolArrow
    Looks awesome! Did you obtain a new front hub, or have the flea laced in to the wheel?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I had the flea laced into the stock wheel. The flange height was the same so they reused the stock spokes. Got a steal on the hub too. Not a lot of demand for 36h hubs I guess.

CoolArrow
    Nice, I did the same thing - couldn't find a (decently priced) 20mm front wheel/hub combo...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, and the FR30s are pretty solid wheel and not too heavy.I'm happy. The tapered steerer and 20mm axle have really stiffened up the front end, and The circus is a sweet, highly adjustable fork. I'm all about the ABS+ damper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The ever evolving Skyhawk, I will try and get a better picture after its next clean.

Upgrades so far:
    Suntour Raidon - Through upgrade program
    Race Face Evolve - bar & stem
    Superstar lock on grips
    WTB Pure V Saddle - from parts bin
    Shimano M520 Pedals - Can't believe i didn't go clipless sooner
    Maxxis Crossmark tires - F & R
    Shimano Deore front derailleur - could not get on with the SRAM for the life of me, needed constant adjustment, threw this on form the parts bin and shifts perfectly even with the SRAM Shifter
    Lizard skins chain stay protector

I say this every time but that might be it for now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-hunter-mill-20130516-00304.jpg  

Captain Climber
    Nice coxino... Any idea how much the original fork weighed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't sorry Jem7sk, the fork and the tyres however have changed the ride massively, I'm able to push things a little more and roll over the rocks & roots without much issue, its also dramatically improved my strava times.

Along with getting fitter, thankfully it seems each change has been for the better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I Put a Stans Kit on my Guardian. Make sure you get the All Mountain 29er kit.( the XC kit will be too narrow). The disc bull rims are really wide, so you'll need the width of the AM kit. Also I had problems taping up the spoke holes with the tape included in the kit. The holes are off set, so you can try two wraps of tape to cover the width, or buy a roll of the 25mm tape. I ended up having to buy the wider tape for my front wheel because it kept losing air through the spoke holes.

This is with the stock Kenda SB8's.
    I am about to order the AM 29er Stan's kit for my Guardian with stock rims/SB8's. Does the AM kit come with 21mm tape? I found the 25mm stuff you mentioned for about $13. I have some Gorilla tape in my shop, do you think it would work just as well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I would just do the ghetto style tubeless, stems gorilla tape and stans sealant. The AM strips are too narrow for the disc bulls too. I had them in there but they really weren't doing anything but providing a stem.

mtbr member
    Its worth a shot! Sounds cheaper than the Stan's kit anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice coxino... Any idea how much the original fork weighed?
    So I got the bathroom scales out today, old XCM fork weighs in at 6lbs. My Skyhawk (19.5") currently weighs 30lbs.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    So I got the bathroom scales out today, old XCM fork weighs in at 6lbs. My Skyhawk (19.5") currently weighs 30lbs.
    Thanks! Damn that is heavy. Gonna have to figure out what a better fork will weigh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

We the people ...

Some recent Birthday gifts and some time out of the saddle due to injuring my neck means I have been tinkering again.

New addtions:
    Charge spoon saddle (had an off and put a big rip in the WTB)
    Race face ride 2x crankset with bash
    9 speed SRAM cassette
    SRAM X7 9 speed shifter
    Also moved the brake levers inside the shifters on the bars to see if I get on any better with the one finger braking

Again that might be it for now .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bike-2x9.jpg  

Captain Climber
    Nice coxino... I would think with that drive train upgrade you are rolling much faster with less effort? As soon as I get my new wheels built I am moving to the drive train (1x9 for me because I don't need a granny gear). Also, if that is a 19.5" bike with the seat that high you must be at least 6’ 5"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yeah it looks a little high doesn't it, I normally have it at full extension for rolling round the streets and drop it a little when I hit the trail.

The drivetrain is really smooth, I'd bent the suntour crankset so it was a welcome change and saved some extra weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I must say that is real nice, coxinio. I was hoping to go 1x10 but we will see when I get some funds for that, especially since I had a bad crash and need to replace my rear brake caliper and lever + my seatpost( which wasn't actually damaged from the crash, it was improperly manufactured.) Anyway, ride the crap out of it
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Quick question: Will a 2.2 rear tire work on one of the newer Guardians with the X5 FD?

I know there were tire clearance issues with the X3. I have read in several places that the clearance issues could be remedied by upgrading to an X7. However I really have not heard much about the X5. I was just wondering if anyone had tried a 2.2 with the X5.

mtbr member

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

I want to say I read 2.2 tire clearance should be good on the x5 equipped Guardians. Just don't quote me on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I want to say I read 2.2 tire clearance should be good on the x5 equipped Guardians. Just don't quote me on that.
    I hope so. I have been riding in a lot of deep sand and I think a wider tire might make life easier. There are plenty of cheap deals on X7 FD's so that is an option, but the X5 has really worked well and I don't really want to swap it out if I don't have to. This is one of those "if it works, don't fix it" situations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wasn't expecting much out of the bike when I first bought it, but I was surprised. Guess that why I kept it and just upgraded as I went along. All that's left of the original bike is the frame itself.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-20130711_175001.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jms0211 View Post
    I wasn't expecting much out of the bike when I first bought it, but I was surprised. Guess that why I kept it and just upgraded as I went along. All that's left of the original bike is the frame itself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130711_175001.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	815253
    That looks awesome. Nice sabre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jms0211 View Post

Name:	20130711_175001.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	815253
    Nice!

mtbr member

Road Skyhawk.

Making some cockpit changes today, On One Mary bars and a Salsa stem added. Not a bad road bike.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

mtbr member

For your wife anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

modified skyhawk

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-1-.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo.jpg
    Even right out of the box the airborne skyhawk is an incredible value. Of course i couldn't just leave it stock.

FSA carbon bars, specialized stem, oury lock-ons, WTB volt saddle, rockshox reba fork, sun black flag wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^ looks great! Have you noticed much difference with the wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    ^ looks great! Have you noticed much difference with the wheels?
    The biggest difference to me was the fork swap the reba is amazing, the wheels are lighter and seem to just want to spin forever

mtbr member
    Dang man! Maxed that puppy right out!!! Looks sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Figured i would post up an update of my Guardian since i started this thread back in September. I've mostly been riding Fountainhead Park and Wakefield/Lake Accotink here in northern VA. The Guardian doesn't miss a beat.

Well i simply Jhazard'ed my bike a bit. Decided i liked the look of the red with silver/chrome touches so i opted for the spank777 bars and matching seat post. So far the transition to the wider bars has been good, run it with a 60mm stem and lizard skin grips. New wtb seat and thanks to KrazyKreitzer i got a great deal on a reba fork off of his Green Goblin. Thanks again Kyle.

I removed the fd and granny gear to run a 1x9 setup. This has been the best mod so far. no matter what i did i could never get fd to stop rubbing the chain so its now gone. Shifts are almost perfect now. i shortened the chain by about 3-4 links.

Currently my future plans are to increase the reba's travel to 100mm and enjoy the rest of the summer and fall season. Maybe wheels when i save a bit more coin for next season.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-2.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-7.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks great man! What tire are you running on the front?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Looks great man! What tire are you running on the front?
    Thanks! its a Kenda Nevegal... nothing fancy lol

mtbr member
    Those are great tires actually ran those on my enduro hug the corners great!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's the main reason why I got the nevegal. Its been great so far. Might end up getting a matching rear.

mtbr member

The Reba fork is a great upgrade for the Guardian. I'm glad it's working for you Juan.

CoolArrow
    Love the change up - lookin' great! I was using Nevs front/rear, but recent went to a Trail King - it rolls a little faster than the Nevs, and so far Traction is right there.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    I haven't done much to my Guardian but I have installed a Truvative Hussefelt 700mm bar with ODI lock on grips and replaced the fork spring with a firm one ($23 on EBay; I'm 220 lbs so had to be done) Definitely a big improvement in handling on both counts. Forks will come later but next is a Kenda Nevegal on the front. The Small Block 8's will kill me around here.
    Last edited by hrbib21; 07-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I love my Guardian. However, after 4 months of heavy riding, I'm starting to see the necessity of Air Forks..so can you guess what my first upgrade is going to be?

mtbr member

A Seeker? A Goblin? Both? Haha!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2011 Airborne Goblin

Got 'er down to 26lbs with the following changes...

2011 Airborne Goblin
    Easton EA70XC Wheels
    Kenda Nevegal Tires
    Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seatpost
    Thomson Elite X4 Stem
    Fizik Gobi K:IUM Saddle
    Answer Protaper Carbon Straight Bar

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-goblinafter1.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-goblinafter2.jpg

mtbr member
    Good looking bike, love the green!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

My Hobgoblin

In the long run, I probably would have saved money if I just got the X0 Hobgoblin. But working on my bike has been a blast. Now if the weather would get better, maybe I could get riding.

This looks relatively normal, except that the rear brake line is ran internally. The pedals are Crank Brothers Candy 3's.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0072.jpg

Gone are the Elixer 3's and here are the Shimano SLX brakes with the xt screw mod. Much nicer. Also, I changed the rear shifter to XX (probably the best change so far in conjunction with the rear derailleur). And barely seen is the Specialized BG contoured lock-on grips.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0074.jpg

Another shot of the rear SLX brake.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0076.jpg

Rear dérailleur changed to SRAM X9 Type 2 short cage. Also seen here is the Velo Chainstay protector and SRAM aluminum Ferrule.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0078.jpg

I copied Jerry here and switched to 1 x 10 by using the MRP 1x D-Mount Chain Guide and a 32T Race Face single Chainring.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0080.jpg

Rear Tire is a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 and the front is a Maxxis Ardent 2.25. I have them mounted tubeless, ghetto style, with a home brew I got off these forums. The i19's do tubeless pretty well!
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0084.jpg

I have a set of Stan's Flow's coming in, but I wanted to practice on the tubeless and didn't want to wait before posting. Other than that, future mods will be a carbon handlebar and seatpost, saddle, and ice tech rotors. It has been fun!
    Last edited by mklint000; 08-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Brother, that's a sick hobgoblin! The 1x really looks clean. How have you liked the shimano brakes vs the avids?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    Brother, that's a sick hobgoblin! The 1x really looks clean. How have you liked the shimano brakes vs the avids?
    Far superior. I'll admit I haven't taken it out to my usual stomping grounds due to about a solid weeks worth of rain, but testing so far seems to be much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That seems to be the consensus across the board regarding shimano slx and better brakes. Still running the avid rotors, though?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, still on avid rotors. They aren't too bad. I can endo on that front 180mm all day. With the elixir 3's it would just squeal. Debating on whether to order ice tech rotors or a new saddle this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    With that kind of braking power on the avid rotors, what would the immediate benefit be to the ice techs?

If the saddle bugs ya, you would see (and feel!) improvement there right off the bat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm not really sure TBH. Seems that most people change over to the ice techs along with any shimano with servo wave. Now if there were only some bridges around here to jump off....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This is a crappy pic, but I just got done mounting my Flow's (Tubeless) and wanted to share

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ^^^^ sweet hobgob! Whered you get the wheels from? What hubs? I have a stans no tubes kit waiting for my nerves to install on the stock wtbs. How's the bike handle now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is that the flow ex/hope pro wheel set?

I just put that wheel set on my goblin and love it. Probably a little overkill for my size (180ish) but I like the width.

How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    ^^^^ sweet hobgob! Whered you get the wheels from? What hubs? I have a stans no tubes kit waiting for my nerves to install on the stock wtbs. How's the bike handle now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
    I got the wheels from Merlin Cycles from the UK. Took about 8 days to ship to the Midwest US (MO). They are Hope Pro Evo 2 Hubs. I'd say go for the conversion. I did ghetto tubeless on the i19's and Maxxis tires easily. I moved the Maxxis tires over to the Flows and re-mounted the AKA's to the i19's. Haven't finished the AKA tubeless, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Honestly I'm not sure how the bike handles with the Hope Flows. I took that pic and posted it right after I finished mounting the wheels. And the constant rain is keeping me from riding Ill follow up when I get out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got my wheel set from Merlin cycles as well. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Customer service was great and shipping was quick to Texas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Is that the flow ex/hope pro wheel set?

I just put that wheel set on my goblin and love it. Probably a little overkill for my size (180ish) but I like the width.

How much do you weigh?
    That is exactly the set pictured Ordered from Merlin. I weigh somewhere between 210-220 geared up. Probably still overkill for me but the arch ex's weren't in stock and I was ready to buy with their 10% off sale and free shipping. I can't wait to thrash 'em

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got my wheel set from Merlin cycles as well. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Customer service was great and shipping was quick to Texas.
    Yeah I had a pretty good experience with Merlin. Now if they just had an X0 crank in GXP for the same price as their BB30 ($191) I'd be sitting pretty...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Are you upgrading your drivetrain to xo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have everything I've done listed on post 342 in this thread. But, just upgrading to best price/performance for me. 1x10 with 32T raceface chainring, XX shifter, X9 type 2 derailleur is where my drivetrain upgrades are sitting now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any idea what speed you top out at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mklint000 View Post
    This is a crappy pic, but I just got done mounting my Flow's (Tubeless) and wanted to share

How does that ardent handle? I was thinking of putting one on the front of my XO! Is the ardent tubeless ready?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Really don't know. Jerry may have a better idea on this. He probably has much more seat time on a 32T single ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    How does that ardent handle? I was thinking of putting one on the front of my XO! Is the ardent tubeless ready?
    With my extremely limited experience so far, it handles much better than the AKA. It's chunkiness gives me much more confidence. I've only had it on the trails for about an hour yesterday due to the crazy Missouri rains keeping the trails wet. There is a UST Ardent. This one is not. But it is handling tubeless fine without any leakage.

CoolArrow
    I think I've hit 32mph on my 1x10 before I can't keep up with spin any longer. And thats really really spinning it out.

Were more fit (or rode in flatter terrain), I'd go to a larger chain ring up front actually. I think I've seen 33t out there, but if all goes well, next summer I'll be on 34 up front. Most of the time, if I really need to go fast, its more about letting off the brakes than it is spinning the cranks
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

orange617
    Hi Guys, need advise on what brand and type/model of angle set i can use on the taka...would want to be slack by 1 to 1.5 degrees...been searching around on the net but the technicalities and stuff is giving me a headache being a newbie...i would appreciate so much any info....thanks

CoolArrow
    The angleset I have installed on my Taka is the Cane Creek model ZS49/28.6|EC49/40

it will do a .5, 1.0, and 1.5 degree offset.

BTI (many shops order directly from them, if you like to use your local bike shop) has them in stock:

Cane Creek AngleSet headset, ZS49/28.6|EC49/40 kit

Cane Creek AngleSet headset, ZS49/28.6|EC49/40 kit

Hope that helps!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

orange617
    Thanks jhazard, its a big help saving me time trying to figure it out by myself, also, dont wanna mess with it ordering something that wont fit when it arrives...thanks again bro...cheers.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by orange617 View Post
    Thanks jhazard, its a big help saving me time trying to figure it out by myself, also, dont wanna mess with it ordering something that wont fit when it arrives...thanks again bro...cheers.
    Glad I could help!

I don't know if you're installing it yourself or having a shop do it (recommend that, at least for pressing in the cups - unless you have a headset press) -- but I was advised that when you re-build it down the road, or if you change forks or anything, to use MARINE GREASE, rather than the usual phil wood or park tool kind. And use a LOT of it. Slather it, then slather it again. Then add some more.

I've followed that recommendation, and have yet to hear mine creak at all - after almost 3 entire seasons on it. Good luck!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

orange617
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Glad I could help!

I don't know if you're installing it yourself or having a shop do it (recommend that, at least for pressing in the cups - unless you have a headset press) -- but I was advised that when you re-build it down the road, or if you change forks or anything, to use MARINE GREASE, rather than the usual phil wood or park tool kind. And use a LOT of it. Slather it, then slather it again. Then add some more.

I've followed that recommendation, and have yet to hear mine creak at all - after almost 3 entire seasons on it. Good luck!
    Might as well bring it to a nearby bike shop to have the cups fitted, it would be an unnecessary expense if i buy the headset press just to do one job looking at the price of this tool...yup, will take note of what you have done, thanks...i really appreciate the help..cheers

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Cheap DIY headset press.
    3/4 threaded rod, 3/4 nuts, 3/4 standard washers and 3/4 fender washers.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Here is my Guardian 2.0 with Race Face Ride Bars, Stem and Seatpost.
    Threw on some Crank Brothers Cobalt Lock-Ons and a Titanium railed Serfas Saddle. Pedals are Speedplay Frogs.
    Next week, I will be adding Race Face Evolve Cranks, Race Face BB and 34T WnW Chainring and droppiing the F Der. to go 1x9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bike-2.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bike-1.jpg  

orange617
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Cheap DIY headset press.
    3/4 threaded rod, 3/4 nuts, 3/4 standard washers and 3/4 fender washers.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	823783
    bullseye curtboroff....thats what i have been thinking when realize how much these tools cost....ill go and check it out at a nearby homedepot...thanks.

CoolArrow
    I've used hammers and 2x4s & allthread on headsets and bottom brackets (bmx) for many, many years. By all means, if you are comfortable with headset installation try the DIY method. Just saying that an Angleset might not be the one you want to learn with They can be finicky.

Were it me, (and it was) I'd be happy to pay the shop to at least press the cups in so they line up straight. My 2 cents Good luck, whichever path you choose!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member

I finally had a chance to put a few miles on my new Airborne Goblin Frameset build.

The new frame felt just a good as the old green frame but the front end is definitely more solid. I also like the new graphics quite a bit better.

-Silver Goblin frame
    -Black Flag Pro wheels
    -Kenda SB8's, also have some GEAX AKA's to try
    -RockShox Reba fork with 20mm maxle
    -FSA OS-99 90mm stem
    -FSA SL-K riser bar
    -ESI Chunky grips
    -180mm front rotor
    -Ritchey WCS seat post
    -WTB Pure V Race saddle

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It's great!!

Good for you.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride man! How were the sb8's on that greasy, leafy trail??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks good Krazy, how wide are those bars?

Here's my goblin, only thing that's changed is the wheel set. I like them so far. Probably over kill for my size (180ish lbs) but I like the width and they were a good deal.

It uploaded sideways for some reason, so deal with it lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The flows look great! I thought they might be overkill too, but I already bent my front flow in its third ride. Pretty spectacular crash lbs fixed it in a jiffy.

mtbr member

The FSA SL-K bars are 660mm. That trail is really flat and kinda flowy but there are some really tight trees that I have to slow way down for.

SB8's did great. I didn't realize it had just rained right before I got there but the trail was still hard. I was following my friend and I couldn't even see his tracks in the wet spots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Added this week:
    Race Face Half-Nelson Grips
    Race Face Evolve Cranks
    Race Face BB
    Race Face WnW 34T
    Lizard Skins Chainstay Protector
    Niner YAWYD Headset Cap

Dropped:
    Front Der.
    Front Shifter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9601.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9600.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9599.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9598.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9597.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9595.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_9594.jpg  

Last edited by JohnPar5; 08-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Are you swapping these parts over from another bike? Seems like a bunch of money to drop on top of the $675. You could have bought a Seeker.

mtbr member
    Just Got my Goblin last week and have added Easton EA70 Hi Rise Bars and 60mm Stem. Lock on grips and Wellgo pedals as well. Hopefully I will not be adding too much more to the bike, but upgrading is kinda addicting!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-dsc_5982.jpg
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-dsc_5984.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBrit84 View Post
    Are you swapping these parts over from another bike? Seems like a bunch of money to drop on top of the $675. You could have bought a Seeker.
    Even with the Seeker, I would have gotten a shorter stem, riser bars and gone 1x9.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickngas View Post
    Just Got my Goblin last week and have added Easton EA70 Hi Rise Bars and 60mm Stem. Lock on grips and Wellgo pedals as well. Hopefully I will not be adding too much more to the bike, but upgrading is kinda addicting!

Name:	DSC_5982.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	826551

Name:	DSC_5984.jpg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	826550
    Nice!
    Now get that bike off the BUG!!

Saw a car very similar to that at a used car lot at the beach while on vacation.

Nice car!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I need to figure out a way to carry my bike on the Bugs roof rack. BTW, I recently converted the Bug to electric....it is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    BTW, I recently converted the Bug to electric....it is awesome.
    Wait...wha...

Sounds interesting. Have a thread of the build somewhere..

mtbr member

mtbr member

Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Name:	DSC_5982.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	826551

Name:	DSC_5984.jpg 
Views:	1412 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	826550
    Wow you must like your bars high! Looks almost like a dh bike!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member

I finally put some miles on this whip over the last week. I think it's time I should sell my old green frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I finally put some miles on this whip over the last week. I think it's time I should sell my old green frame.

That new setup looks great man. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Switched out the original stem and seatpost for a Truvativ AKA 60mm stem and a Truvativ Carbon Team seatpost. The bike handling is much snappier now. Love this bike!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bike-rack.jpg

mtbr member

nice to see the camelbak podium big chills fit (at least they look like big chills). I was looking for something temporary for my goblin when it comes in before i spend more money on a camelbak mule nv or an octane xct

mtbr member

Podium chill. I believe these are 21oz vs the Big Chill which are 25oz.

Resident Gear Head

Installed an 90mm Specialized stem, Specialized Downhill XL grips, and a Command Post dropper post.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

orange617
    deleted
    Last edited by orange617; 09-22-2013 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member

Out for a spin at Cam rock up in Wisconsin

The hobgoblin was eatin up the trail today, what a frickin' blast! Haven't really changed her up much, wider bars, red spacers, nevegal on the front. Love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Figured I'd catch it after it's clean for once..........

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian1.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Figured I'd catch it after it's clean for once..........

Name:	guardian1.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	833011

Name:	guardian.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	833010
    That is one sweet ride.

orange617
    my modified airborne taka...

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-p9210019.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-p9210017.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-p9210007.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-p9210021.jpg
    Last edited by orange617; 09-22-2013 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member

Finally got it right where I want it!

-Stan's arch ex/hope pro 2 evo wheels
    -race face narrow wide chainring, set up 1x10
    -race face evolve bars
    -easton ea90 stem
    -esi chunky grips
    -wtb volt saddle
    -sram team bb
    -on my second set of aka's (the folding bead version this time), set up tubeless. Love these tires!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Viking, looking great. Really like the look of the matching color grips. What type of surfaces are you riding the AKA's on? I lack some confidence in them over certain terrain... some positive reassurance might help.

mtbr member

I ride mostly hardpack and loose over hardpack. Forested trails so there's leaves and pine needles on the trails sometimes. I just love how those hard little knobs seem to penetrate thru the loose dust or leaves and bite into the dirt

The tires take some getting used to, as they have a more rounded cross section than most. You can really lean the bike into the turns and that's when the tires shine.

I feel like the tread pattern might be lacking when things get really loose (kitty litter, gravely type stuff), and they're terrible in the wet, but for 99% of my riding they're awesome!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 51