Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 1,451 to 1,461 of 1461
    mtbr member
    Last edited by Centurion_; 06-22-2016 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Thought I would post up up my HobGoblin build. By far one of my favorite bikes I've owned. I rode a Goblin for a while, with the stock 110mm stem. It felt so long and thought I was going OTB all the time. Put a 60mm BMX stem on there, then swapped out the Goblin for the HobGoblin frame, changed out the cranks for SRAM GX, Vee Fluid Tires, and XFusion dropper post. Feels great, I really enjoy it.

Only got to ride it twice, for the next few weeks I'll only get to use it to get me around the warehouse.......

mtbr member
    Nice build! I've been riding my HG a lot more often, getting ready to take it to Pisgah in September.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    That is a nice looking Hobi, Jesse! I think all you need now is just a cleat on the bottom of that boot and you are golden!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    That is a nice looking Hobi, Jesse! I think all you need now is just a cleat on the bottom of that boot and you are golden!
    You know I honestly thought about doing that after its healed. HAHA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse4130 View Post
    You know I honestly thought about doing that after its healed. HAHA
    Speaking of modified Airborne, I was going to purchase the large Goblin frame to replace the medium frame but see they are sold out now on the website. Was I a week too late?

mtbr member
    Finally able to get back to some riding, first opportunity since the race on Oct. 1st, probably pushing harder than I should just because it has been two weeks without any seat time. I am finally starting to feel better, so why not go get some serious miles in to make up for the time off. 20 on Saturday, 37 on Sunday to push me to 1033 for the season so far. It was also my first attempt to ride out to the trail head from the house with friends, it was quite epic!

Changes to the Goblin - Formula R1/RX brakes from the Plague are now on there along with some new Cromag FU40 780mm wide bars. I made the jump from 700mm, and really enjoy the way the bike feels and handles. More changes to the Goblin are coming, should be interesting to see how this all will work out, but it should make for a fun transition. More to come on that after some goodies arrive this week. Stay tuned!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2751.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3436.jpg

mtbr member
    Project 505: Zombie Goblin

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2774.jpg

I have been riding the Quick Silver Goblin now for four years, a warranty replacement frame, hard to believe it has been that long! Other than the stripped drive side threads, the original frame is flawless without a single nick or scratch on it (only one month of riding on it). I did all the hard riding/learning/crashing on the Silver frame, which is why I plan on changing frames - peace of mind and my body in one piece. The downside to this is Airborne doesn't stock hardtail frames any longer which means I need to get creative with what I have. After some digging around, I found SunLite has a threadless 68mm BB that threads into itself instead of the frame for about 20 bucks. NICE! This means I can bring the original frame back from the dead! By the looks of it, this BB has been around for a few years, but I couldn't find anything else in all my searching. Now if I could find a GXP external BB that threaded into itself, I could use my X7 cranks. Not a big deal, it just means I have to find some JIS taper cranks to go on that BB. All I am looking for as far as cranks is a 104 BCD, JIS taper, nothing fancy or expensive. SRAM 600 fits the bill at $37, with removable chainrings, and in black. All I have to do is remove the rings and put on my 30T N/W. Of course, I have to port everything over to the black frame from the silver, but it will be the perfect time to go through each component and check for wear.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2784.jpg

You can see the drive-side threads are stripped out in the background.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2785.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2770.jpg

The BB went together easy enough, I just had to purchase another Shimano BB tool, you need two of them to tighten the BB together. Simple and straight forward, the BB tightened up nicely, no play. I went out for a 6 mile trail ride to shake down the bike, and back to the truck to pull the cranks off and check the tightness of the BB, everything checks out with no issues. Very cool. There is nothing like a new, four year old frame to go cruise on.

IT'S ALIVE!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3453.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3452.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 10-25-2016 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks great sOul_chicken! Pretty slick you were able to revive that stripped bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Looks great sOul_chicken! Pretty slick you were able to revive that stripped bottom bracket.
    Thanks TMO8853 - An easy fix that was cheap, and under 60 dollars. I would still love to order a new frame in large, the fit would be better for me, but I really don't want to switch brands either. I am not complaining one bit though, it looks like a new bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Goblin upgrades and weights

Here are some details on the two modification versions I did to the black Goblin...I tracked the weights in case that helps anyone:
    Out of box w pedals (Race Face Chester 340g) = 29.0 lbs*
    *never weighed it, but I back-calculated

v1: Exchanging stuff for geometry/comfort/grip with parts I found on sale. These were pretty good sales and all of these were ~$250
    Things that got heavier:
    Seat: WTB Speed Pro Gel 435g (San Marco 267g) = +168g
    Tires: F Ardent 2.4 R Ardent 2.25 1659g (Vee XCV 1558g) = +101g
    Stem: Race Face Aeffect 35 (60 mm) 161g (Airborne 136g) = +25g
    Things that got lighter:
    Bars+Grips: Easton 750mm carbon (40 mm riser) 189g +Lizard Skins Peaty 108g (Airborne+grips 419g) = -122g
    Seat post: Answer SL carbon 209g (Airborne Al 347g) = -138g
    NET V1 Change +54g! essentially the same total weight
    v1 weight=29.0 lbs

v2: Major wheelset upgrade + tubeless. Nearly cost as much as the new bike. But a pretty big improvement on performance...I accelerate/decelerate a lot...and a learning experience for me. Looking back, a used Stans wheelset may be the better cost savings move though. I'd suggest anything sub 2000g if you're not riding flat/smooth.
    Wheelset: Light Bicycle AM 27 mm internal 1672g (WTB i19 ~2330g)
    Tubeless: estimate -200-260 g difference
    Tires: Forekaster 2.35 759g Ardent Race 2.25 718g = -180g
    v2 final weight=26.6 lbs

** edit: Forgot to mention, I added 2 extra RockShox "tokens" to the fork. Run at 90 psi (180 lbs). It had two already, so a total of 4 tokens. I feel that was absolutely essential to get any sag at all and not bottom it out consistently. Im still only like 15% sag I think and still experimenting. Last ride was down a rocky trail and didn't quite bottom out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-goblin-v2.jpg  

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930