Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    I Put a Stans Kit on my Guardian. Make sure you get the All Mountain 29er kit.( the XC kit will be too narrow). The disc bull rims are really wide, so you'll need the width of the AM kit. Also I had problems taping up the spoke holes with the tape included in the kit. The holes are off set, so you can try two wraps of tape to cover the width, or buy a roll of the 25mm tape. I ended up having to buy the wider tape for my front wheel because it kept loosing air through the spoke holes.

This is with the stock Kenda SB8's.
    Thanks, this is great - you saved me a lot if trouble!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Well that sucks... didn't know the FD caused a clearance issue
    It's no issue with the stock tires, however if one goes wider there is a chance for rub when shifted down into the smallest front chainring. The more expensive FD's like the X7/X9 series have a narrower profile due to the rivot attachment method so they are a good upgrade if one is concerned about putting larger tires on the bike and likes to use the little front ring.

We'd love to spec the next generation of the Guardian (late 2013 maybe) with a 2x10 X5 set-up but it would push the bike up and over the $599 pricepoint.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Next month we are producing a Goblin XO that will have a full XO group, FSA SLK carbon bar/stem/post, and Black Flag Pro wheels. Gonna be awesome!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Any clue what fork will be on this bike? Very interested. Might have to change my bike snob ways.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    GO AIRBORNE !!!! MAKE YOUR NAME COMPETE AT YOUR VERY BEST CAUSE THERE ARE BIG NAMES OUT THERE WHO MADE IT, NOW IT'S UP TO AIRBORNE TO GO & TAKE THE TITLE . (Y)
    CAN'T WAIT FOR MY NEW GOBLIN TO ARRIVE !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    More Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro's Also upgraded to the Fox fork, Answer XC handlebar, XT brakes and Thomson stem and seatpost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-tre_1105_11.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_1204.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_1198.jpg  

tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Poontank that goblin looks great is it a 18?

what fox shock did you go with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I went with the 32 F29 RLC with 15mm TA. Great fork and the gold just happens to look bomber with the rest of the bike

And yes, it is an 18" frame.
    Last edited by poontank; 09-30-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Incomplete
    tankpro.org
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    have had my Guardian less than a month. here are some changes and some thoughts.

PARTS CHANGES:

swapped fork to Rockshox recon silver TK29 solo-air. Love it!

swapped rear rotor to 185. first ride due 9-23-12, @ 9AM

swapping front rotor to 203. waiting for bracket.

changed seat to Specialized take off at LBS from previous bike. original bent down to the post!

swapped front derailleur to SRAM XGen. first ride due 9-23-12, @ 9AM

PLANS/NEEDS:

my rear axle is bent. the guardian is not Fat Kid friendly! im 270#. no jumping. no crazy DH'ing. some, but minimal, seated descending.

SO, my next upgrade will be a rear wheel set, then later, a front to match.

BUT

I still love this bike!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here is a little something we put together during the Wingman upgrade process.

tankpro.org
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My Guardian, with a RaceFace Atlas bar, Stans Notubes, X9 front der and a Reba fork.

My wife's Skyhawk with Stans Notubes, a Charge Ladle saddle, RaceFace Ride 70mm stem and seatpost, Ritchy WCS Ergo grips, and an '07 Marzocchi XC700 fork.

Sorry no cool backdrops just quick pics in the driveway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My Guardian, with a RaceFace Atlas bar, Stans Notubes, X9 front der and a Reba fork.

My wife's Skyhawk with Stans Notubes, a Charge Ladle saddle, RaceFace Ride 70mm stem and seatpost, Ritchy WCS Ergo grips, and an '07 Marzocchi XC700 fork.

Sorry no cool backdrops just quick pics in the driveway.
    Is that a Race Face Atlas low bar or high bar?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf62 View Post
    Is that a Race Face Atlas low bar or high bar?
    Its the low Atlas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Someone PMed me about going tubeless on the guardian. But i cant respond privately because I don't have enough posts. So I'll stick it here and get one post closer.

So far it has been great, It was a little difficult to set up at first because of the thin tape included with the kit. but with wider tape everything went well, and they don't lose air at all. I don't see why you couldn't do it with just rim tape, stems and sealant.

NeedGod.com
    Someone PMed me about going tubeless on the guardian. But i cant respond privately because I don't have enough posts. So I'll stick it here and get one post closer.

So far it has been great, It was a little difficult to set up at first because of the thin tape included with the kit. but with wider tape everything went well, and they don't lose air at all. I don't see why you couldn't do it with just rim tape, stems and sealant.
    Ok thanks. I'm going to try a gorilla tape ghetto tubeless setup this weekend and see how that works. I've have 4 flats in the past week and a half so I'm getting really frustrated. I previously had no flats for the past 3 months.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Ok thanks. I'm going to try a gorilla tape ghetto tubeless setup this weekend and see how that works. I've have 4 flats in the past week and a half so I'm getting really frustrated. I previously had no flats for the past 3 months.
    Its those sb8s. They offer very little puncture protection. I was getting flat just ridding on gravel. Hence why I upgraded to the nevegal. I love how fast rolling they were but I was fed up with punctures.

swildnm . What Reba fork did you go with? Is it a 80mm or 100?
    Last edited by Wildfifty; 09-26-2012 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    We ride SB8's in Ohio 7-8 months of the year with no problems. Something else must be going on.
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Airborne Flight Crew

Pressure?

I was initially sketchy about the SB8s, but I gave them a fair shake and really dig how fast they roll. Since may, I've yet to experience a flat. The video demonstrates the terrain my SB8s survived, repeatedly over the season.

maybe your pressure is just a hair too low...

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    i also agree the SB8's aren't as bad as people have been saying. I just rode over the greenbelt in Austin and I'm going to probably see my front der rip off before my tires get a flat. My tires aren't tubeless or anything. I'm riding fine at about 30-35 psi

NeedGod.com
    Yeah like I said, I had no problems for months. I don't think it's the tires...I did check the inside of the tires repeatedly to make sure there weren't any leftover thorns. The last flat I got was a snakebite, so I'm guessing I lost some pressure while riding and just didn't notice. Loss of pressure was probably due to either a bad patch or a small hole I didn't find. Either way, tires are great but they are about to meet Mr. Stan.
    Nathan

NeedGod.com
    Hey Jerry, when are you going to tell me the name of the song in that video?
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Oops. No mods yet. I'll have to get on that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348711118.496892.jpg  

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    We did the ghetto method on a friends sette razzo a couple of weeks ago.... worked very well. FYI we just cut some stems out of some old tubes instead of buying the $16 ones from the shop. They hold air fine and he loves it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Are there any Airborne Graphics available that would fit on the forks on these two? I thought I saw some somewhere...

mtbr member
    Are there any Airborne Graphics available that would fit on the forks on these two? I thought I saw some somewhere...

They sent me a sticker pack on my order. I can measure them out if you like. I'll even send them to ya. I just need one for my toolbox. Not really a sticker person on trucks n such. Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348777630.476651.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the offer, They look like they will fit. I've got to order some spare derailleur hangers from them anyway, I'll just get some stickers from them then.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast