SRAM GX 1x11 Drive Train
    Shimano XT Brakes
    SRAM Roam 30 29" XD Rims
    Maxxis Ardent 2.40/2.25 EXO TR Tires
    Raceface Evolve 70mm stem, 105mm bars
    WTB Rocket V Seat
    Troy Lee Designs ODI Grips

26.3 Lbs
    How do you like the GX drivetrain? Bike looks sharp!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    How do you like the GX drivetrain? Bike looks sharp!
    I've done full trail rides with this bike twice, once with the stock X5 2x10 drivetrain, then again with the GX 1x11 after the rebuild. The original X5 felt clunky and not that crisp, sometimes sluggish when it came to shifting. Just one ride and I knew it needed to be replaced, which was also supported by the fact that I hate front derailleurs.

Jump forward to the GX and the difference was night and day. Shifting is crisp and precise. In fact, shifts now feel as if they are completing before I even take my finger off the trigger. Double shifts are almost as fast. The X5 never game me that feeling.

I used every gear during the second run and didn't once feel like I needed the 2x10. For me the gear range on the 1x11 is perfect. If I ever need more or less, I'll just swap the chain ring. Tuning the 1x11 does takes a little more time due in part to the smaller adjustments needed by the narrow chain and 11 speed cassette.

Overall the bike has a great feel and I could not be more satisfied with the GX 1x11 drivetrain..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordzkof View Post
    Overall the bike has a great feel and I could not be more satisfied with the GX 1x11 drivetrain..
    Nice review! I was looking at a 6Fattie Fuse with that drivetrain on it, and like the way it looks.

Speaking of drivetrain, two weeks ago I came across a green ceramic BB offered by J&L. Since I was in the middle of installing a new cassette, SRAM BB, 30T N/W, and chain, I may as well order the green goodie since it was three bucks cheaper than the stock version. Worse case scenario is the BB is junk and I have to put back on the new stock BB.
    The BB arrived Saturday, wrapped up in tape and foam, with no lettering or markings of any kind on the BB. Weighing a side by side - new GXP BB against the J&L BB shows the the J&L to be lighter than the SRAM offering, but by only a few grams.

The real weight savings is in the external cups. The J&L has an anodized gutter, while the SRAM is obviously plastic. The gutter slides into both cups, with an adapter for the non-drive side crank, that goes between the cup and gutter.

Usually when I spin the cranks with no chain, I get four rotations using the SRAM BB. After installing the J&L, I get 10 to 12 rotations when I spin the cranks, so clearly there is a lot less resistance to the ceramics. I went for a nine mile ride, and I could feel the smoothness of the BB through the cranks. At 25 bucks, I will do my best to destroy this thing to see how it holds up - as of right now, I would have a hard time going back to stock.

Not only that, it friggin' looks cool!!

mtbr member
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-bikes.jpg

Haven't been riding my Seeker much as of late, I've been taking the HG to BMBP every weekend. I think I'll actually swap to the 120mm fork next year. I have a few more weeks before I put the HG away for the season and ride the Seeker until it gets too cold and put it on the trainer I hate winter.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1215151425.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1215151424.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1215151423c.jpg

I've posted this bike before in this thread, but I just got some work done over the weekend! Threw on an SLX 1x10 setup, as well as a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent tire. I have a 2.25 Ardent in the mail for the back; it was backordered and got delayed.

Full upgrade list includes:

-100mm Manitou Marvel Pro fork
    -Shimano SLX M675 brakes, 180mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor
    -60mm Raceface Evolve stem
    -Answer ProTaper DH bars
    -ODI Rogue grips
    -2.4 Maxxis Ardent EXO tire front, 2.25 Maxxis Ardent EXO tire rear (being installed shortly)
    -Raceface Narrow/Wide chainring, 32t
    -Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ rear derailleur
    -Shimano Zee 10speed shifter

mtbr member
    Nice Guardian! Those are some great upgrades. Those brakes are a major improvement.

I'm looking at a 1x10 setup as well. The 1x9 just isn't cutting it. 32t in the front and 34t in the rear isn't enough granny for the trails here...or I'm just out of shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregwah View Post
    I've posted this bike before in this thread, but I just got some work done over the weekend! Threw on an SLX 1x10 setup, as well as a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent tire. I have a 2.25 Ardent in the mail for the back; it was backordered and got delayed.

-Answer ProTaper DH bars
    -ODI Rogue grips
    -2.4 Maxxis Ardent EXO tire front, 2.25 Maxxis Ardent EXO tire rear (being installed shortly)
    Great looking ride! You will like the Ardents, I run them front and rear now, with the front tire reversed. The Ardent up front was the first tire I replaced the Geax with, and love the traction. I used to run Ignitors in the back, but I separated something within the tread of a new one on a panic stop, and gave it a permanent wobble. Went with an EXO rear like you did, no issues, great tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    Nice Guardian! Those are some great upgrades. Those brakes are a major improvement.
    Thanks! I was so impressed by how much better the SLX brakes are than the tektro's that come on the bike. My roommate has full XT on his bike, and after feeling how great his bike was I knew it was time to do some upgrades! And yeah, the extra range on a 10 speed cassette is what really makes it.

Shimano SLX 1x10 Speed Drivetrain Bundle | Chain Reaction Cycles

Here's the groupset that I bought for the upgrade. They also have a Deore set that's a little bit less expensive, as well as some SRAM offerings if you're wanting to go that route.

mtbr member
    Great looking ride! You will like the Ardents, I run them front and rear now, with the front tire reversed. The Ardent up front was the first tire I replaced the Geax with, and love the traction. I used to run Ignitors in the back, but I separated something within the tread of a new one on a panic stop, and gave it a permanent wobble. Went with an EXO rear like you did, no issues, great tire.
    Thanks! Out of curiosity, why reverse the front tire? Do you find it has more grip that way?

mtbr member
    Thanks! Out of curiosity, why reverse the front tire? Do you find it has more grip that way?
    Yes, I get a bit more grip that way, the bike corners like it is on rails, especially if you get your lean on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3576-2-.jpg

my Pathogen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trebeol View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3576 (2).jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	1039235

my Pathogen
    Nice! What was the total cost of the build?

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Nice! What was the total cost of the build?

Difficult to say exactly since some of the parts I had laying around already but I would probably say around $2300-2600

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trebeol View Post
    Difficult to say exactly since some of the parts I had laying around already but I would probably say around $2300-2600
    Very cool build for the price, nice work

mtbr member
    My newest addition/addiction,
    Goblin build for my wife.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPanaccione View Post
    My newest addition/addiction,
    Goblin build for my wife.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	1039936
    Ahh yes, the n+1 factor lives and breathes! Great looking collection!

mtbr member
    Lol, thanks!

I almost had to make a new stand, wife tried to get me a Toxin, but didn't work out.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Made another upgrade to the Guardian although I see it as more of a downgrade. The stock bike came 3x9. Within a year I converted it to 1x9 with a Race Face Ride 32t crankset, which was great for the desert and I loved the simplicity.

Now that I'm in the Austin area, I tend to run out of legs/gears and have to walk the bike. So the decision was to either go 1x10 with a wide range cassette or go 2x9. I decided on 2x9 to get a wider range of gearing and it was a third of the cost.

Installation was a breeze and the front derailleur needed very little adjustment. The great thing was that my single ring crankset was already set up for 2x or 3x so I just had to put a 22t ring on there. So now I'm set up 22t/32t with an 11-34 in the back. Everything is shifting smooth. I just have to take it out on some dirt.

I also upgraded the grips to ODI Rogues. Amazing grips! I should have done that a while ago.
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-20160112_213214.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-20160112_213517.jpg

mtbr member
    I should list out the changes to date.
    Handlebar: Race Face Evolve 750mm (cutting it to ~720)
    Stem: Race Face Ride 60mm (might go shorter soon)
    Fork: Rockshox Recon Gold (thanks for free upgrade SRAM!)
    Rims: WTB Frequency i23 Race TCS
    Front Tire: On-One Chunky Monkey 2.4
    Rear Tire: On-One Smorgasbord 2.25
    Front Shifter: Shimano XT
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Crankset: Race Face Ride 32t n/w (22t added for 2x9)
    Brakes: Shimano SLX
    Brake Levers: Shimano SLX
    Rotors: Shimano SLX RT66

At this point, the only stock pieces are the frame, headset, seat, seatpost, hubs, cassette, and rear derailleur/shifter.

mtbr member
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-toxin.jpg

Toxin build is coming along. waiting on a Park Tool adapter for the truing stand, cassette and cable housing, should be here Tuesday.

Not putting anything fancy on this one, mostly same parts as the fully built purchase except for X9 hubs, X0 Cranks, Specialized stem, bars & grips.

Toxin std parts: R/S domain 180 coil, E13 guide, Alex DX32 rims ( FR32 wasn't available ), X5 rear derailluer & shifter (10sp), and maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 tires.

Now I need a 20mm thru axle mount for my truck and need to expand my bike rack..

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member

Toxin build is coming along. waiting on a Park Tool adapter for the truing stand, cassette and cable housing, should be here Tuesday.

Not putting anything fancy on this one, mostly same parts as the fully built purchase except for X9 hubs, X0 Cranks, Specialized stem, bars & grips.

Toxin std parts: R/S domain 180 coil, E13 guide, Alex DX32 rims ( FR32 wasn't available ), X5 rear derailluer & shifter (10sp), and maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 tires.

Now I need a 20mm thru axle mount for my truck and need to expand my bike rack..
    Looking great! I wonder, and it is hard to tell, if that is the same color as the Griffin. In pictures the Griffin looks yellow, but it is more of an off-bright green with a yellow sheen to it.

Your n+1 Airborne collection is coming along nicely!!

mtbr member
    That looks sick! They really should have offered the complete bike in that color. Looking forward to pictures of your finished Toxin.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Yeah I really like the color, it's kinda like the original highlighter color, it really stands out.

I have the Griffin seat post on my wife's goblin, I'll have to look how close the colors are.

I can't wait either DnD, really sucks we're in the middle of winter right now, and we're supposed to hit with 2' of snow tonight/tomorrow.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Yeah, I don't miss Chicago winters. Texas weather suits me well. In the 60's and sunny tomorrow. Hitting the trails around noon.

New change for the Guardian. Upgraded the saddle. Lighter and a lot more comfortable. Why didn't I do this a long time ago?

mtbr member
    Awesome, enjoy your ride! I'll be shoveling 3' of snow lol

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've had my evo for about a year now. It's my first real mountain bike and I try to keep everything within budget.

Right now I'm running a KS eten dropper post, a raceface 32t narrow-wide chainring, wtb volt saddle and wellgo platform pedals. I'm really enjoying this setup right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Groggy08 View Post
    I've had my evo for about a year now. It's my first real mountain bike and I try to keep everything within budget.

Right now I'm running a KS eten dropper post, a raceface 32t narrow-wide chainring, wtb volt saddle and wellgo platform pedals. I'm really enjoying this setup right now.
    Looks good! How are you liking the eTen?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Looks good! How are you liking the eTen?
    I'm really surprised by its quality. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

mtbr member
    Here's my Toxin all complete. heavy little bastard too lol ( 39.4lbs ) can't wait to hit the bike park in May!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0771.jpg

the whole gang.. need to rebuild the bike stand now.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0773.jpg
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0774.jpg

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Here's my Toxin all complete. heavy little bastard too lol ( 39.4lbs ) can't wait to hit the bike park in May!

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	1046042

the whole gang.. need to rebuild the bike stand now.

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	1046049

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	1046050
    Looking real good!
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    Looking real good!
    Thanks Mike!

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Too cool - 4 shred ready bikes waiting to get dirty. NICE!

mtbr member
    Too cool - 4 shred ready bikes waiting to get dirty. NICE!
    Thanks SC... Well, 3, the Goblin is my wife's, she doesn't "shred" lol

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Great family photos! That Toxin is looking great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    Great family photos! That Toxin is looking great.
    Thanks!

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg

New recon silver 120 mm with 15mm axle, wtb i23 frequency wheelset with x9 hubs, and maxxis ardent skinwall tires. 29x2.4 front and 29x2.25 on the rear. I think it's looks pretty cool. When I was a kid The first bike that my parents got my that wasn't a hand me down was a huffy bmx bike with skinwall tires. Seeing that airborne used to be owned by huffy I thought it was only fitting to go with the skinwall ardents. It's my first set of ardents and they look and feel like they will work nicely the only thing I am disappointed in is the width of the "2.4" front tire. I had a kenda honey badger pro on the front before this and it was labeled Asa 29x2.2 and it is wider than the maxxis is 2.4. I was expecting the maxxis to be much wider. Oh well I guess. I'm still gonna run the ardents and see how I like em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	1050002

New recon silver 120 mm with 15mm axle, wtb i23 frequency wheelset with x9 hubs, and maxxis ardent skinwall tires. 29x2.4 front and 29x2.25 on the rear. I think it's looks pretty cool. When I was a kid The first bike that my parents got my that wasn't a hand me down was a huffy bmx bike with skinwall tires. Seeing that airborne used to be owned by huffy I thought it was only fitting to go with the skinwall ardents. It's my first set of ardents and they look and feel like they will work nicely the only thing I am disappointed in is the width of the "2.4" front tire. I had a kenda honey badger pro on the front before this and it was labeled Asa 29x2.2 and it is wider than the maxxis is 2.4. I was expecting the maxxis to be much wider. Oh well I guess. I'm still gonna run the ardents and see how I like em.
    I hear ya on the 2.4's - went with a 2.4 Hans Dampf thinking it would fill in the gap better than an 2.2 Ardent, not the case either. I think a lot has to do with the inner width of the rims on the WTB's.

Pretty cool looking street bike though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hear ya on the 2.4's - went with a 2.4 Hans Dampf thinking it would fill in the gap better than an 2.2 Ardent, not the case either. I think a lot has to do with the inner width of the rims on the WTB's.

Thanks for the compliment? Why would you call it a "street bike"? Because it's not dirty? It's winter time up here in Buffalo. I couldnt get it dirty if I wanted to ( which I'm dying to ride this thing on my local trails) . I've been an avid snowmobiler since I was a little kid riding around the yard on my first kitty cat, and I can't wait for the snow to melt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment? Why would you call it a "street bike"? Because it's not dirty? It's winter time up here in Buffalo. I couldnt get it dirty if I wanted to ( which I'm dying to ride this thing on my local trails) . I've been an avid snowmobiler since I was a little kid riding around the yard on my first kitty cat, and I can't wait for the snow to melt.
    My bad, anytime I see a skinwall or a whitewall, my brain automatically goes there (street riding). I didn't look close enough to see the knobbies on the tire. Not only that, I just ordered fresh rubber for the Mrs. and her cruiser.

Looks like it is getting warm again up that way? We are finally getting warm enough here to thaw and dry everything out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Damn. I saw in one of these posts that you were putting on a 2.4 hans dampf and worried for your fork. I've got a 2.35 hans dampf on the front of my goblin and it rubbed the fork terribly every time it was loaded in a corner or climbing. I've got Flow EXs though, so a decent amount wider than the WTBs, so maybe you are on to something there. I went with a 9mm through axle and got rid of most of the flex so it doesn't rub now like it did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Also, do you like the Hans Dampf? I'm not really a fan. It looks cool (why I bought it :X) but it doesn't corner that well and it doesn't clear the clay based mud here any better than the stock AKAs. I'm actually considering going back to the AKAs, I just hate the idea of wasting money on the HD and the Nobby Nic. Also don't want to go back to that heavy wire bead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    Damn. I saw in one of these posts that you were putting on a 2.4 hans dampf and worried for your fork. I've got a 2.35 hans dampf on the front of my goblin and it rubbed the fork terribly every time it was loaded in a corner or climbing. I've got Flow EXs though, so a decent amount wider than the WTBs, so maybe you are on to something there. I went with a 9mm through axle and got rid of most of the flex so it doesn't rub now like it did.

Also, do you like the Hans Dampf? I'm not really a fan. It looks cool (why I bought it :X) but it doesn't corner that well and it doesn't clear the clay based mud here any better than the stock AKAs. I'm actually considering going back to the AKAs, I just hate the idea of wasting money on the HD and the Nobby Nic. Also don't want to go back to that heavy wire bead.
    I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Hans Dampf yet due to the conditions. Thankfully, two weeks of 60 degree weather has melted all the snow, and 85% of the trails are now dry. Saturday's ride will be with the Griffin, and Sunday's ride the Goblin is going to see some trail time for the first time in over two months. I HATE WINTER.

Which 9mm through axle did you end up using? This has me intrigued since I do get a bit of flex with the Crest wheels I have, and any stiffness I can add will be welcomed. I also notice that the Stans wheels have the same inner ID (21mm), but it looks like I have well over 12mm clearance on each side of the tire to the fork with the Hans Dampf. I will find out soon enough if I have any fork rub, but I don't think there will be any issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Hans Dampf yet due to the conditions. Thankfully, two weeks of 60 degree weather has melted all the snow, and 85% of the trails are now dry. Saturday's ride will be with the Griffin, and Sunday's ride the Goblin is going to see some trail time for the first time in over two months. I HATE WINTER.

Which 9mm through axle did you end up using? This has me intrigued since I do get a bit of flex with the Crest wheels I have, and any stiffness I can add will be welcomed. I also notice that the Stans wheels have the same inner ID (21mm), but it looks like I have well over 12mm clearance on each side of the tire to the fork with the Hans Dampf. I will find out soon enough if I have any fork rub, but I don't think there will be any issues.
    Hmm.

The Flow EX is 25.5mm inner width. I definitely do not have 12mm of clearance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Also, I used a set of Novatec skewers that I found on amazon. 9mm for the front and 10mm for the rear. I had to put different end caps in the Hope Pro II Evo hubs to accept the through axles.

It was worth it. Definitely stiffened up what I thought was wheel flex.

mtbr member
    Oh wow - that is a tight fit! No fork rub for me, but then again, you could drive through the gap between the tire and fork. The Hans Dampf rubber is good for the desert conditions out here, I didn't have any issues with sand wash-out, but they are a bit noisy from the knobbies on the hard pack.

Newest upgrade for the Griffin, TOGS! I love these things, I use them quite often, and they double as a component protector when you have to flip your bike over onto the bars. Also added another sticker to the fork. The Airborne logo barely fits.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_1466.jpg

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    on the front of my Guardian i run a 2.35 Hans Dampf on an older Stan's Arch wheel (19mm internal), and it clears my fox fork by a mile. i absolutely love the tire for traction and cornering, but am switching it out for something racier and lighter (racing ralph or nobby nic), still in 2.35 though.
    VILLAGE RACING

mtbr member

Name:	1215151425.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	1035913

Name:	1215151424.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1035914

Name:	1215151423c.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	1035915

-Answer ProTaper DH bars
    -ODI Rogue grips
    Just wanted to update this now that it's 100% done!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-0225161552.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-0225161553a.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-0225161553b.jpg

mtbr member
    That Guardian is looking good Gregwah!

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm absolutely loving it, especially now that it's finally starting to warm up a little around here.

mtbr member
    I just love it when I come back to work from lunch and find goodies for my bikes sitting on my desk! I am ditching the Spry's, and going with another set of VP Harriers for the Goblin. I had originally purchased a set of the same pedals back in December for the Goblin, but the new Griffin popped up under the tree! I really like how big the platforms are, lots of room to move around while providing tons of grip, and the maintenance is crazy easy.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-000_0002.jpg

mtbr member
    Last edited by Centurion_; 06-22-2016 at 01:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Thought I would post up up my HobGoblin build. By far one of my favorite bikes I've owned. I rode a Goblin for a while, with the stock 110mm stem. It felt so long and thought I was going OTB all the time. Put a 60mm BMX stem on there, then swapped out the Goblin for the HobGoblin frame, changed out the cranks for SRAM GX, Vee Fluid Tires, and XFusion dropper post. Feels great, I really enjoy it.

Only got to ride it twice, for the next few weeks I'll only get to use it to get me around the warehouse.......

mtbr member
    Nice build! I've been riding my HG a lot more often, getting ready to take it to Pisgah in September.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    That is a nice looking Hobi, Jesse! I think all you need now is just a cleat on the bottom of that boot and you are golden!

mtbr member
    That is a nice looking Hobi, Jesse! I think all you need now is just a cleat on the bottom of that boot and you are golden!
    You know I honestly thought about doing that after its healed. HAHA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse4130 View Post
    You know I honestly thought about doing that after its healed. HAHA
    Speaking of modified Airborne, I was going to purchase the large Goblin frame to replace the medium frame but see they are sold out now on the website. Was I a week too late?

mtbr member
    Finally able to get back to some riding, first opportunity since the race on Oct. 1st, probably pushing harder than I should just because it has been two weeks without any seat time. I am finally starting to feel better, so why not go get some serious miles in to make up for the time off. 20 on Saturday, 37 on Sunday to push me to 1033 for the season so far. It was also my first attempt to ride out to the trail head from the house with friends, it was quite epic!

Changes to the Goblin - Formula R1/RX brakes from the Plague are now on there along with some new Cromag FU40 780mm wide bars. I made the jump from 700mm, and really enjoy the way the bike feels and handles. More changes to the Goblin are coming, should be interesting to see how this all will work out, but it should make for a fun transition. More to come on that after some goodies arrive this week. Stay tuned!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2751.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3436.jpg

mtbr member
    Project 505: Zombie Goblin

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2774.jpg

I have been riding the Quick Silver Goblin now for four years, a warranty replacement frame, hard to believe it has been that long! Other than the stripped drive side threads, the original frame is flawless without a single nick or scratch on it (only one month of riding on it). I did all the hard riding/learning/crashing on the Silver frame, which is why I plan on changing frames - peace of mind and my body in one piece. The downside to this is Airborne doesn't stock hardtail frames any longer which means I need to get creative with what I have. After some digging around, I found SunLite has a threadless 68mm BB that threads into itself instead of the frame for about 20 bucks. NICE! This means I can bring the original frame back from the dead! By the looks of it, this BB has been around for a few years, but I couldn't find anything else in all my searching. Now if I could find a GXP external BB that threaded into itself, I could use my X7 cranks. Not a big deal, it just means I have to find some JIS taper cranks to go on that BB. All I am looking for as far as cranks is a 104 BCD, JIS taper, nothing fancy or expensive. SRAM 600 fits the bill at $37, with removable chainrings, and in black. All I have to do is remove the rings and put on my 30T N/W. Of course, I have to port everything over to the black frame from the silver, but it will be the perfect time to go through each component and check for wear.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2784.jpg

You can see the drive-side threads are stripped out in the background.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2785.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-120_2770.jpg

The BB went together easy enough, I just had to purchase another Shimano BB tool, you need two of them to tighten the BB together. Simple and straight forward, the BB tightened up nicely, no play. I went out for a 6 mile trail ride to shake down the bike, and back to the truck to pull the cranks off and check the tightness of the BB, everything checks out with no issues. Very cool. There is nothing like a new, four year old frame to go cruise on.

IT'S ALIVE!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3453.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3452.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 10-25-2016 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks great sOul_chicken! Pretty slick you were able to revive that stripped bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Looks great sOul_chicken! Pretty slick you were able to revive that stripped bottom bracket.
    Thanks TMO8853 - An easy fix that was cheap, and under 60 dollars. I would still love to order a new frame in large, the fit would be better for me, but I really don't want to switch brands either. I am not complaining one bit though, it looks like a new bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Goblin upgrades and weights

Here are some details on the two modification versions I did to the black Goblin...I tracked the weights in case that helps anyone:
    Out of box w pedals (Race Face Chester 340g) = 29.0 lbs*
    *never weighed it, but I back-calculated

v1: Exchanging stuff for geometry/comfort/grip with parts I found on sale. These were pretty good sales and all of these were ~$250
    Things that got heavier:
    Seat: WTB Speed Pro Gel 435g (San Marco 267g) = +168g
    Tires: F Ardent 2.4 R Ardent 2.25 1659g (Vee XCV 1558g) = +101g
    Stem: Race Face Aeffect 35 (60 mm) 161g (Airborne 136g) = +25g
    Things that got lighter:
    Bars+Grips: Easton 750mm carbon (40 mm riser) 189g +Lizard Skins Peaty 108g (Airborne+grips 419g) = -122g
    Seat post: Answer SL carbon 209g (Airborne Al 347g) = -138g
    NET V1 Change +54g! essentially the same total weight
    v1 weight=29.0 lbs

v2: Major wheelset upgrade + tubeless. Nearly cost as much as the new bike. But a pretty big improvement on performance...I accelerate/decelerate a lot...and a learning experience for me. Looking back, a used Stans wheelset may be the better cost savings move though. I'd suggest anything sub 2000g if you're not riding flat/smooth.
    Wheelset: Light Bicycle AM 27 mm internal 1672g (WTB i19 ~2330g)
    Tubeless: estimate -200-260 g difference
    Tires: Forekaster 2.35 759g Ardent Race 2.25 718g = -180g
    v2 final weight=26.6 lbs

** edit: Forgot to mention, I added 2 extra RockShox "tokens" to the fork. Run at 90 psi (180 lbs). It had two already, so a total of 4 tokens. I feel that was absolutely essential to get any sag at all and not bottom it out consistently. Im still only like 15% sag I think and still experimenting. Last ride was down a rocky trail and didn't quite bottom out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-goblin-v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Some new shoes.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-17546789_356244231438620_4983196431132349825_o.jpg

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    i finally have this bike how it will spend the rest of it's tenure with me before i go to a new bike.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-fbae019d-70ee-4499-abec-0e979fc16d63.jpg

Fox 32 fork
    Stan's Arch wheels
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, 2.1 rear, 2.35 front, tubless
    11-40t Sunrace 10 speed cassette
    SRAM GX shifter and derailleur
    36t E*Thirteen n/w chainring
    Clarks M2 brakes
    Specialized saddle, grips, bottle cages, and stem
    VILLAGE RACING

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Members who have read this thread: 52