Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1463
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey Mike, looks good!

We need to work out a time when all of us can meet up to ride sometime soon, maybe at Versailles or Brown County.

Jeremy

Thanks dude! I think a bunch of buddies will be riding Memorial Day weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Awesome. How does it ride? Have you weighed it? Looks like pretty light spec.
    It rides freakin awesome! as for the weight its somewhere between 26-27lbs!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    Here's mine...
    Attachment 887788
    Gorgeous build!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Gorgeous build!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Midwestxmike
    That is one sweet looking bike.!
    I se a Facebook POD in your future.

orange617
    here she comes...just test rides recently but never got to ride it on the trails yet...

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3120.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3127.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3130.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My Guardian...

Azonic Agile 780mm 1" rise bars
    Odi SDG grips
    Bike Bell
    Welbro pedals
    WTB seat (will be here on Wednesday)

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-10178015_10152355003377436_7356774554798868251_n.jpg

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    Here's mine...
    Attachment 887788
    Frame: Airborne Hobgoblin
    ForK: Rockshox SID RCT3
    Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Curious, what are the travel on the shocks? Dang sweet ride! Droool

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post
    Curious, what are the travel on the shocks? Dang sweet ride! Droool
    100mm front and rear is stock with complete bike and the frame set comes with 100mm rear. Is a SID available in travel adjust?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Installed my new X Fusion Slide today.
    Anyone know where I can get a new fork crown race to fit the original headset on a Guardian 2? I am giving my original wheelset, headset and fork to a buddy for a frame that he is getting.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a new fork crown race to fit the original headset on a Guardian 2? I am giving my original wheelset, headset and fork to a buddy for a frame that he is getting.
    Bike shop should have one.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Orange617: That looks wicked-awesome!

mtbr member

Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Some damn nice bikes posted on here lately. Midwest & orange - Wow! Awesome rides.

I noticed the TX plates in your pic orange, and I gotta ask....are there dh runs in Texas??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Bike shop should have one.
    Yeah, I thought they might have a few lying around.

CoolArrow
    Updated wheels to DeeMax... and will be riding DH tubeless this season.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Swwwweeeet bike JH!

mtbr member
    I would recommend that you just remove your race from your fork before you give the fork to your buddy. Unless he is using the same headset he couldn't use it anyway and would need to remove it. May as well use it yourself instead of it going into the bin.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

orange617
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Orange617: That looks wicked-awesome!
    Thanks MikeinMinn...

orange617
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Some damn nice bikes posted on here lately. Midwest & orange - Wow! Awesome rides.

I noticed the TX plates in your pic orange, and I gotta ask....are there dh runs in Texas??
    not a lot 8... i know theres one in dallas, a short one and another one in burnett...more of an enduro trail as you have to ride or push it uphill...once or twice a year, me and my buddies would drive to angel fire or sandia peak to enjoy the lift accessed trails...thats the closest one that i know of...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would recommend that you just remove your race from your fork before you give the fork to your buddy. Unless he is using the same headset he couldn't use it anyway and would need to remove it. May as well use it yourself instead of it going into the bin.

Jeremy
    I upgraded my headset and I cant find the original race. He is getting the original headset and fork from my Guardian.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I believe the only Stock items are the X5 Rear Der and Brakes.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian-xfusion.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can you let us know what size frame that is?

mtbr member
    I upgraded my headset and I cant find the original race. He is getting the original headset and fork from my Guardian.
    Ah, OK!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Can you let us know what size frame that is?
    Looks like an 18".

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like an 18".

Jeremy
    Sorry about that Jeremy, i meant to quote midwestxmike post with his Orange HobGob.

mtbr member
    Sorry about that Jeremy, i meant to quote midwestxmike post with his Orange HobGob.
    I believe Mike's is a 17.5".

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I believe Mike's is a 17.5".

Jeremy
    Jeremy, you are correct!

mtbr member
    After rebuilding my rear wheel after I missed a poorly adjusted rear derailleur, I thought I'd finally post what I have done to my Goblin.

Here's the overall bike. Took off the gaudy wheel stickers.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-13905751687_9634749b93_o.jpg

Hylix bar and stems from that massive on-line marketplace, together weighing 280 grams. The stem is 100mm long and the bar is 600mm wide. I cut my teeth back in the late 80's and early 90's with narrow 550mm bars. I can't get used to the wider bars that are in style today. Oury grips. KCNC stem cap. The headset spacers are titanium.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-13905779768_0d2683686c_o.jpg

WTB Speed V ProGel saddle, Q2 carbon post.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-14089154581_3894c27c41_o.jpg

...and the obligatory 1x10 conversion (32T). Still running the stock X7 rear derailleur and cassette, no problems with thrown chain, nor have I needed at 42T cog with the relatively mild terrain around here. Oh, and the chain ring bolts are titanium. Why? I got a titanium road bike, and I like the metal.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-14092821864_a890fe1594_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Very nice. I like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Couple more shots.
    X9 Short Cage and JagWire cables going on this week.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian.2.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian2.0.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is my silver Goblin... started out with the black frame but ended up totaling it out earlier this spring! Can't remember all the specifics on the upgrades off the top of my head but here are a few:

Raceface riser bar (can't remember size but it is def wider than stock)
    Raceface Strafe lock-on grips
    Truvativ AKA 70mm stem
    Wellgo MG-1 pedals
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2's (tubeless)

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-13-.jpg

and here is another pic before I threw on the Nevegals

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_2472.jpg

mtbr member
    How did you break the old frame makinmoves? If you don't mind me asking

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How did you break the old frame makinmoves? If you don't mind me asking
    I was comin' in HOT through a pretty techy section and hit a tree stump (or what was left of one)... basically like hitting a brick wall haha... immediately went over the bars. Popped my front tire and bent my front wheel beyond repair. I had to order a new rim and have the front wheel rebuilt as well! I had everything swapped over and was back out riding within 2 weeks though. I do want to be clear on one thing - I don't want my story to result in anyone thinking the frame was weak or anything. Airborne makes quality products and I will continue to buy from them (I now have THREE friends that I have persuaded into buying Airborne and they are all happy they listened). Jeremy and Eric are two of the most helpful dudes in the business!

Some good looking bikes in this thread... keep them coming!

mtbr member

Oh ok, I was just curious if it was in a wreck or something else. I figured it was a wreck, these frames are pretty stout

mtbr member
    Modified the bike unintentionally last night on a high speed crash - gave the front wheel a nice wobble!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I went over a bunch of pages here and its cool to see all the different upgrades. Not sure what guides people to choose one product over the other though. There are so many different products to choose from. Is it the manufacturer that sways your decision between two similar products or what?

I'm lookin to upgrade on my Goblin:

Stem(shorter and lighter)
    Handlebars(lighter and slightly wider)
    Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

Id like to shave a little off the weight for the time being and later upgrade the wheelset. Id like to order the best parts i can that will be very durable and if possible be able to swap over to a different bike if I choose to upgrade in the future. Now its just the research......

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Modified the bike unintentionally last night on a high speed crash - gave the front wheel a nice wobble!
    I did similar recently soul man found this guide extremely helpful its not quite perfect but perfectly ride-able: Wheel Truing

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    I went over a bunch of pages here and its cool to see all the different upgrades. Not sure what guides people to choose one product over the other though. There are so many different products to choose from. Is it the manufacturer that sways your decision between two similar products or what?

Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

Id like to shave a little off the weight for the time being and later upgrade the wheelset. Id like to order the best parts i can that will be very durable and if possible be able to swap over to a different bike if I choose to upgrade in the future. Now its just the research......
    To answer your question; I went with the Easton stem because it was on clearance for 8.99 and I wasn't positive of the length I'd need. No reason to spend a ton if I dont know what length will be good. Its good, the stem performs fine, and I am only out $9.

Handlebars. Went with RaceFace Turbines because they were made in Orange and were lighter than DH bars that I didn't need but still wider and stiffer than the original bars. Tires? Wanted anything other than a microknob for the front, found a good deal (9.99) on the VeeRubber Speed-R and love them. Have since started running a different VeeRubber tire on my 26" bike and love it as much.

Next up will be wheels. Trying to build the most reliable and durable set I can within my budget... That means shimano 529 hubs laced to Velocity Blunt 35 rims with Sapim spokes.

Went with SPD 530 Pedals because I have the 520s on my roadbike, know how to service them, and have had no problems. The little cage on the 530s helps with stability when not clipped in over technical stuff.
    Eric

mtbr member

Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

For the stem, bars, and seatpost, it's hard to go wrong with easton or raceface stuff. Or if you want a seatpost with more setback (like I do) truvativ makes posts with 25mm of setback. I have the T30 and have no complaints. Its way lighter than stock and has survived a few crashes.

The only suggestion I have as far as bars and stems go....don't buy super expensive stuff right away, buy the cheaper parts to see what feels best. Then you can always upgrade to lighter stuff later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay I decided I'd replace the seatpost and stem first. Already ordered the m540 pedals. How do these replacements look??

Gonna go with the

EC carbon 70 seatpost

Easton EC70 Carbon Seatpost 2012 > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and I think a 70mm Race Face Stem. This one isn't exactly high end but I figure v11king is correct In that I shouldn't spend too much on the stem and what not until I have the fit dialed in...And currently I feel the stock 100mm stem is slightly too long.

Race Face Ride Stem > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That stem could be shorter (depending on what length you order), but it's not lighter than the stock stem (my stock stem was around 135g). Blueskycycling is a great place to look, I got a RF Deus 70mm for like $20, but the shorter lengths are gone now...

Keep your eye on Jenson for a deal on carbon bars...every year when Easton puts out the exact same bar with a different model year in front of it, the current ones go on sale. I think I paid $70 for my carbon EC70, which I love.

The M540's are a great pedal, and a great deal.

Not sure what other components you've switched out, but if your goal is weight savings, you could put the money you would use for a seatpost (savings are ~100g, right?) and buy a different tire (RR, Ikon, Ignitor) and save around 300g of rotating weight. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by intotheblue View Post
    That stem could be shorter (depending on what length you order), but it's not lighter than the stock stem (my stock stem was around 135g). Blueskycycling is a great place to look, I got a RF Deus 70mm for like $20, but the shorter lengths are gone now...

Keep your eye on Jenson for a deal on carbon bars...every year when Easton puts out the exact same bar with a different model year in front of it, the current ones go on sale. I think I paid $70 for my carbon EC70, which I love.

The M540's are a great pedal, and a great deal.

Not sure what other components you've switched out, but if your goal is weight savings, you could put the money you would use for a seatpost (savings are ~100g, right?) and buy a different tire (RR, Ikon, Ignitor) and save around 300g of rotating weight. Just a thought.
    I am looking for weight savings when it comes to swapping out the seatpost. I'm changing out the stem/handlebar for some weight savings but more for handling and maneuverability. I'm not sure what you mean "That stem could be shorter". The stock airborne stem is 100mm I believe. I'm kind of experimenting by going to the 70mm because the 100 feels a bit too stretched out. I didn't want to spend too much on the stem yet because I want to be 100% that this is the fit I am looking for. But if you think I can get a lighter stem for the money im about to spend then please recommend me something else. Also, the stock airborne stem is weighed at 246 grams not 135 as seen here

I didn't consider swapping the tires first.....I figured i'd get all the life out of these first before I junked serviceable tires. Swapping tires also seems like a dispensable means of weight loss unlike non-wear parts. Weight loss is weight loss though I guess.

CoolArrow

Pathogen

Current Pathogen build up... Mostly parts-swapped from my Taka, save for a few key items.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-pathogen-may-build.jpg

Saddle - Tioga Spider Taiwan Knock-off, $10 on ebay

Post / clamp - generic

Fork - 2012 Boxxer RC

Stem - Marrow Components Boxxer Direct Mount stem

Bars - Deity Black Labels uncut

Pedals - Nuke Proof, plastic body - metal pins - identical to the Deity's and HT plastic body pedals. I've found them to durable, light, and as robust/grippy as any metal pedal, save for some of those high end Straightlines with a million pins in them. These coupled with 5-Tens are about as close to being clipped as you can get.

Cranks - Gravity Gap cranks from the Taka

Chainguide - E-13 LG 1

Chain Ring - E-13 Guide Ring, 37t

Cassette - Shimano Dura Ace road cassette

Rear Mech - Sram Rival (road bike mech, short cage)

Shifter - Sram x7

Grips - Vans waffle pattern bolt on grips by ODI

Wheels - Mavic DeeMax

Tires - Front: Minion DHF, reare Michelin wild grippr, both 2.5 and both tubeless

Brakes - Avid Elixr R

I'd like to upgrade brakes and cranks next I think, looking at Saint cranks and probably Zee or SLX brakes. Other than that, can't ask much more for this bike, its performing admirably
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member

I am looking for weight savings when it comes to swapping out the seatpost. I'm changing out the stem/handlebar for some weight savings but more for handling and maneuverability. I'm not sure what you mean "That stem could be shorter". The stock airborne stem is 100mm I believe. I'm kind of experimenting by going to the 70mm because the 100 feels a bit too stretched out. I didn't want to spend too much on the stem yet because I want to be 100% that this is the fit I am looking for. But if you think I can get a lighter stem for the money im about to spend then please recommend me something else. Also, the stock airborne stem is weighed at 246 grams not 135 as seen here

I didn't consider swapping the tires first.....I figured i'd get all the life out of these first before I junked serviceable tires. Swapping tires also seems like a dispensable means of weight loss unlike non-wear parts. Weight loss is weight loss though I guess.
    I think 70mm would be a good place to start with the stem.

Tires are also a great suggestion. The stock wire bead akas are really heavy compared to some other comparable tires out there. Also, losing rotational weight is more noticeable than weight loss anywhere else on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They must have changed something, the Airborne stem that came last week on my Goblin weighs 136g. I just weighed it. The RF Ride is a solid choice, and you won't notice a difference of 40g. Looks sweet, too. I really like the short stem/wide, low rise bar setup. Good point about weight loss in the post being more or less permanent. The Geak AKA's are super heavy, though...you could possibly resell one or both of them to offset the cost of replacement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have the race face ride stem in 70mm and love it. A great starting point. I have it coupled with 720mm bars which seems the perfect combo for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Couple more shots.
    X9 Short Cage and JagWire cables going on this week.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guardian.2.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	890746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guardian2.0.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	890748
    What length is that x-fusion? 120mm?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Got my new bb and crankset installed on the guardian. Made some progress on my goblin build too.

mtbr member

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Nice fork ya got there on that Guardian! Haha

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Nice fork ya got there on that Guardian! Haha
    Lol still holding up like a champ!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It's not much, but that is a sexy looking saddle. I can't wait to get a longer ride with it.

Last edited by molon_labe; 05-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looks great! Suits the color scheme as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    It's not much, but that is a sexy looking saddle. I can't wait to get a longer ride with it.

Your guardian looks great! Do the stock brakes come in black now?

mtbr member
    No they don't.

There are some with black brakes intermixed in the stock as we ran out of white near the end of the recent run. The boxes aren't ID'd with brake color, so if someone orders a bike the brakes will probably be white but have a small chance of being black.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I guess I just got lucky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_2145.jpg

I put some new tires on the Goblin. They are Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Rear and 2.4 Front. Both tires look to have plently of cleareance.

I'm going riding after work and look forward to testing them out.

mtbr member
    Great looking Goblin! You are going to like those tires, especially if you go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I REALLY wanted to get one of those Charge saddles but the red stitched logo would have clashed with the green on my Goblin. I ended up getting a Bontrager Evoke R saddle because it has just a skosh more padding than the stock saddle. I'm going to take some photos of my Goblin this weekend and post 'em up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
    I REALLY wanted to get one of those Charge saddles but the red stitched logo would have clashed with the green on my Goblin. I ended up getting a Bontrager Evoke R saddle because it has just a skosh more padding than the stock saddle. I'm going to take some photos of my Goblin this weekend and post 'em up.
    Did you look at the charge scoop saddles? I'm pretty sure they make it in a green that would have matched. I do like the spoon very much. There's not a whole lot more padding bit it is shaped much more ergonomically for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did you look at the charge scoop saddles? I'm pretty sure they make it in a green that would have matched. I do like the spoon very much. There's not a whole lot more padding bit it is shaped much more ergonomically for me.
    I have to admit that I didn't look at the scoop saddle. Right now the Bontrager is working fine for me but I may give the scoop a chance in the future because I've read a lot of good things about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Rigid project, still need to find the right bar height and cut the steerer.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-20140606_174653.jpg

mtbr member

That's a nice looking Goblin!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here is my Airborne Goblin:

Upgrades:
    - Raceface Turbine 70mm Stem
    - Raceface Next CF Riser Bars
    - ODI Troy Lee Design Lock-on Grips
    - Specialized Milano Saddle
    - Spank Spike Platform Pedals
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo SS 29x2.35(F) & 29x2.25(R)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Clever Handle View Post
    Rigid project, still need to find the right bar height and cut the steerer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140606_174653.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	899302
    Nice, Is that a Carver 490 Trail fork? If so, how do you like it? I haven't been able to find any reviews.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes, it is. I haven't had a chance to get it on the trails yet, It's been raining since I finished. The fork definately looks sturdy though. I'll let you know once I get a couple rides in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clever Handle View Post
    Yes, it is. I haven't had a chance to get it on the trails yet, It's been raining since I finished.

not an excuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

HobGoblin V2.0

Here is my resurrected HobGoblin that I am just about finished putting together. All I have left is a rear brake bleed. Thanks go out to Jeremy and the rest of Airborne for assistance.

Shimano SLX Brakes with XT Modification
    Specialied S-Works Low Rise Carbon Handlebar 660mm
    Specialized Body Geometry Contoured Grips
    Bontrager Saddle
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-1-2-.jpg

Tires - Ghetto Tubless
    Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs with Stans ZTR Flow EX Rims
    Front Tire - Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    Rear Tire - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-2-2-.jpg

Drivetrain - 1X10
    SRAM XX Rear Shifter
    SRAM X9 Type 2 Short Cage Rear Derailleur
    SRAM Hollowpin 10 Speed Chain
    Velo Chainguard
    Truvativ XX Crankset
    Renthal 36t Single Sproket
    MRP Chainguide
    Crank Brothers Candy 3 Pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Nice, Is that a Carver 490 Trail fork? If so, how do you like it? I haven't been able to find any reviews.
    Got out today to give it a proper test. I loaded up a tubeless Nobby Nick and a Racing Ralph instead of the Maxxis Ikons. I have to say that aside from giving me a beating, it really held the trails well and cornered like it was on rails. Some a the downhills were a little sketchy, but it's to be expected when I am blasting down them rigid.

mtbr member
    Well since it doesn't seem that AB has any immediate plans for a new cross bike I'll have to ride and race my Delta for a bit.... a new powder coat and some parts upgrades were desperatly needed....maybe more pics to come when its finished....
    Name:  download (2).jpg
Views: 705
Size:  41.9 KBName:  download (1).jpg
Views: 687
Size:  46.2 KB
    Sorry about the sideways pic...I'm computer illiterate

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Love that color choice!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Very nice delta! Me gusta

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.

mtbr member
    The purple Delta looks great!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.
    Add Some gold skewers and I think it will look great! in my opinion at least. but I'm a fan of gold accents. before I found airborne I was set on getting last years GT karakoram Hans Rey edition. i dont really care for white but I loved the way that bike looked.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm using Orange Raceface bars on my Seeker... looks awesome. I think some bright colored bars would look great with the Goblin colors as well.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am running Gold Race Face bars on my Guardian 2.0. I like the way it looks.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Do factory modifications count?

mtbr member
    Do factory modifications count?

Sweet bike! Love all the XO goodness!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Sweet bike! Love all the XO goodness!
    Thanks man. I did 13.8 miles on some local double track trails this morning and was really impressed with how it performed. Tomorrow morning I'm taking it up to some more difficult trails to test out.

mtbr member
    Fresh install of a KS eTen dropper post. All I can say is, WOW! I can't believe how much fun just dropping the seat one inch for a fast downhill section lets you just rail corners. For just under 120 bucks, this thing simply rocks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Going 1x10

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here are a couple more on some local trails.

mtbr member
    I have a White Easton EA70 Monkeybar

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

My Goblin build

My 16 inch Goblin is near complete. I started in mid April what was supposed to take several months to build. I couldn't wait, though, and jumped the gun on some lower-end parts and those with questionable reputations:
    -Maxxis Crossmark tires on Bontrager Rangers (only really used item)
    -SRAM X5 derrailleurs (this pic has a Shimano Tourney front) and shifters
    -SRAM cranks
    -SPD pedals
    -LWA carbon handlebar with ODI grips
    -Avid Elixr brakes
    -Race Face post
    The pic was taken after the inaugural ride, before I learned how to adjust the seat angle and before I realized the goathead thorns are everywhere and a biker's nemesis.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-wp_20140621_001.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushleaguer View Post
    My 16 inch Goblin is near complete. I started in mid April what was supposed to take several months to build. I couldn't wait, though, and jumped the gun on some lower-end parts and those with questionable reputations:
    -Maxxis Crossmark tires on Bontrager Rangers (only really used item)
    -SRAM X5 derrailleurs (this pic has a Shimano Tourney front) and shifters
    -SRAM cranks
    -SPD pedals
    -LWA carbon handlebar with ODI grips
    -Avid Elixr brakes
    -Race Face post
    The pic was taken after the inaugural ride, before I learned how to adjust the seat angle and before I realized the goathead thorns are everywhere and a biker's nemesis.
    Great looking Silver Goblin! Where do you ride in the southwest?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    El Paso...Franklin Mountains and Hueco Tanks, so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Just getting started...

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3232.jpg

stock skyhawk

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3237.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3238.jpg

wider bars (740 Truvativ BooBar), shorter stem (65 crank bros iodine), and lockon grips in steezy white. love the difference

now for the fork...

mtbr member

Well I figured I'd write a little review of my new brakes and shifter, for anyone who is on the fence about upgrading....

I had finally had enough of my noisy elixir 7's and decided to go with shimano slx's (m675). Right out of the box I was impressed, they included everything needed to shorten the hoses (which was a breeze). After shortening the hoses, setup was super simple. The calipers were wayyyyy easier to get aligned thanks to no stupid cps washers. Total setup time was less than an hour, then I bedded them in and hit the trails for a 3 hour ride.

First thing I noticed on the trails was.....nothing. The sweet sound of silence! I didn't hear a single peep the whole ride. Second thing I noticed was the power, wow it takes very little pressure to stop with these babies. So far so good, I'm very impressed so far and would recommend these to anybody. I wish I woulda done it sooner rather than spending time and money trying to fix the avids.... (funny, when I typed avid my autocorrect corrected it to avoid....coincidence??)

Now about the shifter. I upgraded to X9 on my goblin not because there was anything wrong with my X7, but I got it for a good price and was looking for a little quicker shifting. And it definitely delivers. First thing I noticed is the lever throw is much shorter in than the x7, resulting in quicker shifts. I found myself accidentally shifting 2 gears at once before I got used to it. Also the shifts feel much more positive with the x9. I don't know if my cable was bad in my old shifter or what, but it felt mushy compared to the x9. Overall I'm very impressed with the shifter as well, the performance increase was worth the money spent.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting some new goodies. Don't hesitate, just do it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think that is the same brake I put on my wifes Quicksilver Goblin. They seemed very nice to me too. I ashamed to say we haven't even been out for a ride yet to really test them though. We had some unexpected things come up. But as soon as we get out I will try to get pictures of the build.

mtbr member
    Well I figured I'd write a little review of my new brakes and shifter, for anyone who is on the fence about upgrading....

I had finally had enough of my noisy elixir 7's and decided to go with shimano slx's (m675). Right out of the box I was impressed, they included everything needed to shorten the hoses (which was a breeze). After shortening the hoses, setup was super simple. The calipers were wayyyyy easier to get aligned thanks to no stupid cps washers. Total setup time was less than an hour, then I bedded them in and hit the trails for a 3 hour ride.

First thing I noticed on the trails was.....nothing. The sweet sound of silence! I didn't hear a single peep the whole ride. Second thing I noticed was the power, wow it takes very little pressure to stop with these babies. So far so good, I'm very impressed so far and would recommend these to anybody. I wish I woulda done it sooner rather than spending time and money trying to fix the avids.... (funny, when I typed avid my autocorrect corrected it to avoid....coincidence??)

Now about the shifter. I upgraded to X9 on my goblin not because there was anything wrong with my X7, but I got it for a good price and was looking for a little quicker shifting. And it definitely delivers. First thing I noticed is the lever throw is much shorter in than the x7, resulting in quicker shifts. I found myself accidentally shifting 2 gears at once before I got used to it. Also the shifts feel much more positive with the x9. I don't know if my cable was bad in my old shifter or what, but it felt mushy compared to the x9. Overall I'm very impressed with the shifter as well, the performance increase was worth the money spent.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting some new goodies. Don't hesitate, just do it!
    Great writeup!! Still loving my silent SLX's as well, glad to see you took the leap too!

mtbr member
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1x10.jpgWent 1X10 with a Wolf tooth 34T chain ring. Cant wait to try it out this weekend

mtbr member

Great writeup!! Still loving my silent SLX's as well, glad to see you took the leap too!
    Yeah they're great, all that noise can really ruin a ride! Thanks for all the info BTW. I decided to go slx because I really couldn't justify the extra $ for xt's....all you really get is a threaded pad retainer bolt vs the cotter pin

I remember you saying yours came with resin pads....are yours the 675's?? Because mine came with the metallic finned pads.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1x10.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	906960Went 1X10 with a Wolf tooth 34T chain ring. Cant wait to try it out this weekend
    Nice! Report back!

mtbr member
    Yeah they're great, all that noise can really ruin a ride! Thanks for all the info BTW. I decided to go slx because I really couldn't justify the extra $ for xt's....all you really get is a threaded pad retainer bolt vs the cotter pin

I remember you saying yours came with resin pads....are yours the 675's?? Because mine came with the metallic finned pads.
    Mine are last year's model, the 665. I had to buy my finned pads separate, but looking forward to wearing these resins out so I can try them.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is there anyway to safely remove the decals on the Goblin? I just ordered my Goblin but I am very simple and all the green and such is a lot going on (personal preference). I know they are clearcoated on but I thought I would ask anyway.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    Is there anyway to safely remove the decals on the Goblin? I just ordered my Goblin but I am very simple and all the green and such is a lot going on (personal preference). I know they are clearcoated on but I thought I would ask anyway.
    I'm 99% sure the decals are under the clear coat

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    They are def not removable, as they are under the clearcoat. Totally agree; would have loved to have a design with only 2 colors (black w/green decals) instead of the black/silver/green.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-7.11.b.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-7.11.jpg
    Got some new goodies coming for the 2.0
    Race Face Chester Handlebars
    Black ESI Chunky Grips
    Race Face Turbine Seat post
    Black Woodman Seat collar
    Cateye Strada and a Barfly mount
    Black Race Face Aeffect Pedals
    Last edited by JohnPar5; 07-12-2014 at 07:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My little Red Zepp:)

Here is my 2011 Airborne Red Zeppelin. Got this bike on clearance in May of 2012 and have been slowly adding things to my liking.

Here is a list if the goods:
    Race face carbon bars, seat post, neck, and XC xtype cranks
    Hope ceramic bottom bracket
    Fox float 32 RL 140mm forks
    Stan's tubeless conversion with kenda sb8 out back and nevegal upfront
    SRAM 9spd cassette, chain, x7 shifters and rear derailleur.
    Elixir 9 brakes
    Serfas Rx 921v seat
    We'll go clip less

I know it's not a newer cooler Airborne but it handles my 235 lbs 2-3days a week. Beating it up on the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 41