Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    loving the turbine bars the stockers where just too narrow for me. definitely love the rise and added leverage of wider turbines.

mtbr member
    Agreed - I went with wider riser bars and ended up going back to the stock stem for a perfect fit. Now what to do with that RaceFace stem...

mtbr member
    how wide and whats your rise?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Agreed - I went with wider riser bars and ended up going back to the stock stem for a perfect fit. Now what to do with that RaceFace stem...
    What size? I might be able to give it a good home

As for bars I went with raceface turbines which are 725 wide and 3/4 rise. Perfect even for my wide frame.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I went with a Crank Bros. Cobalt 3 XC Riser Bar - 700mm with a 15mm rise, and 6 degree back sweep. I picked one up from TheClymb for 29 bucks, and a Cobalt 2 20mm set back 400mm post for 23 bucks. They do not have a lot of components, but its worth checking out as they rotate stock quite often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    What size? I might be able to give it a good home

As for bars I went with raceface turbines which are 725 wide and 3/4 rise. Perfect even for my wide frame.
    The stem is a RaceFace 70mm with the same degree of rise/fall as the stock stem. The funny thing is, the shorter stem only weighs one gram less than the 110mm stock!! It needs a good home - some of the anodizing has rubbed off the black bolts, other than that it is in great shape.

Here is the full description of the stem: Race Face Ride Mountain Bike Stem (Black, 31.8-mm Clamp, 6-Degreex70-mm, 1-1/8-Inch)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ah too bad! Just a touch too short for me.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I might be interested in trying a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyLinksystems View Post
    I might be interested in trying a shorter stem.
    Do you have anything to trade? The stem only set me back 20 plus shipping, I can take some pictures at lunch for you if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do you have anything to trade? The stem only set me back 20 plus shipping, I can take some pictures at lunch for you if you are interested.
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This old school Airborne Ti Hag is my current SS that I have been racing all season.

mtbr member
    Nice Ti Nailhead! You do a nice job in taking care of your ride!

mtbr member
    @ BodyLinkSystems - I cannot put pics in PM's, so here you go!

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-102_1272.jpg

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-102_1275.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not much left stock other than the frame, but here is my modified Green Goblin Rigid Single Speed.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-goblinss.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sweet! What fork did you go with?
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The original Goblin had 80mm of travel so I went with a Surly Karate Monkey Fork. I've been very happy with it so far!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nice choice! I'm running a 1x1 Fork on my 26er... love it.
    Eric

mtbr member
    FSA Poly headset spacers just came in (green of course)! I must admit, they are pretty to look at, just seems weird that polycarbonate is OK for headset spacers... I will have a pic of the addition later on tonight.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-fsa.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    FSA Poly headset spacers just came in (green of course)! I must admit, they are pretty to look at, just seems weird that polycarbonate is OK for headset spacers... I will have a pic of the addition later on tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FSA.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	853472
    We use Polycarbonate in the automotive world for spacers between the struts and body (extra height, leveling the rear, etc) so I imagine they're fine for headsets! Going to look great installed!

I thought about getting some of the anodized orange ones for my Seeker...
    Eric

mtbr member
    They look pretty trick, should add some nice color and depth to the steerer. If it really shows transparent, I may have to put something on the steerer tube to show through the green.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

My Marauder :)

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-s780_sany0142.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-s1600_sany0141.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-s1600_sany0145.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-s1600_sany0146.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-s1600_sany0147.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzion The Ace View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s780_SANY0142.jpg 
Views:	2040 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	853536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1600_SANY0141.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	853537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1600_SANY0145.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	853538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1600_SANY0146.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	853539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1600_SANY0147.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	853540
    Sick ride man! Don't see too many marauders on here

Airborne Flight Crew
    For sure, that's a killer build on that Marauder. Nice!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    WOW! Nice ride!

Not going to contaminate the string after that one... my spacers can wait.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thx Everyone This bike stole my heart and stepped up my game. 3rd season riding her.She grew with me.This rig has seen it all. 20 foot gaps, light DH, local trails,climbing ,crashing, you name it , it has endured it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thx and Hi jerry...It's Ed

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thx and Hi jerry...It's Ed

mtbr member
    Not digging the spacers as much as I thought I would. My issues fall with the FSA logo, which appears in three spots around the ring. I brought one with me to work to see if I can figure out how to remove the logo. I tried all kinds of configurations, I just can't seem to get it to look right.

Even the Poodle said, "Really?"

I also noticed (and can't believe it took me this long to see it) that the Goblin logo across the head-tube is as crooked as our politicians. I forgot to load a picture of it last night, but will remember to do so tonight.

Found one of the head tube:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Even with the FSA logo, I am definitely liking the alternating spacers!
    Eric

mtbr member
    If I can get the logos off, I plan on putting a Airborne logo sticker on the steerer. It would look pretty sweet considering the spacers are transparent.

mtbr member
    Alright - I took a razor blade and lightly scraped the FSA logos away, and smoothed the plastic back out using Brasso. I cleaned off the top of the steerer and put on an Airborne "A" logo decal behind the headset spacers. I love the way this turned out, and it really needs a nice sunny day to take a decent picture to do it any kind of justice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The airborne logo showing through the transparent green plastic gives a sweet effect. Way unique. Nice job, s0ul_chicken!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Awesome looking!

Much less interesting but still a mod, I just finished my 1x10 setup by installing my X9 Type 2 RD, 2014 X9 shifter, Raceface black 30 tooth. Oh, I also installed my new XT cassette a few days ago.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_1169-small-copy.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_1160-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perturbo View Post
    The airborne logo showing through the transparent green plastic gives a sweet effect. Way unique. Nice job, s0ul_chicken!
    Thanks perturbo!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Awesome looking!

Much less interesting but still a mod, I just finished my 1x10 setup by installing my X9 Type 2 RD, 2014 X9 shifter, Raceface black 30 tooth. Oh, I also installed my new XT cassette a few days ago.
    I really like the black chainring against the black bike - the black chainring bolts really set off the look. NICE! Let me know if you ever decide to switch to green

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I really like the black chainring against the black bike - the black chainring bolts really set off the look. NICE! Let me know if you ever decide to switch to green
    I thought about a green ring. But because my pedals are green already, I went with black. The bolts are just my stock inner ring 10mm bolts. I'm waiting on some 2mm chainring spacers and black 12.5mm Raceface bolts to straighten up the chainline a bit. I considered moving the BB spacer to the other side instead, but decided against it. I'm often hitting the chainstay with the heels of my size 12s already.

After cleaning the chain and then re-lubing everything, it is quiet and smooth-shifting. I like the more positive click that the X9 shifter has; especially when shifting to a larger cog. I was also surprised that the new ring is actually 10g lighter than the stock 24 tooth ring...in case anyone cares

I'm ready to ride. Just waiting on some weather above 0 degrees. Hopefully everything works as well on the trail as it does on the stand. The lack of chain slap will be a welcome upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    I thought about a green ring. But because my pedals are green already, I went with black. The bolts are just my stock inner ring 10mm bolts. I'm waiting on some 2mm chainring spacers and black 12.5mm Raceface bolts to straighten up the chainline a bit. I considered moving the BB spacer to the other side instead, but decided against it. I'm often hitting the chainstay with the heels of my size 12s already.

After cleaning the chain and then re-lubing everything, it is quiet and smooth-shifting. I like the more positive click that the X9 shifter has; especially when shifting to a larger cog. I was also surprised that the new ring is actually 10g lighter than the stock 24 tooth ring...in case anyone cares

I'm ready to ride. Just waiting on some weather above 0 degrees. Hopefully everything works as well on the trail as it does on the stand. The lack of chain slap will be a welcome upgrade.
    I know what you mean by the BB spacers, I still hit my chainstay occasionally which gets a bit irritating after a while. You will like the 12.5mm with the spacers (you could use your chainring bolt washers as 2mm spacers, too), it will fill the rest of the chainring nicely.

I painted my bolts green:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like the idea of 1x9 - I know I can just remove my front der. and shorten the chain up a bit but does anyone have any info as to whether this works on the X5 crankset? I have heard conflicting info.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    I like the idea of 1x9 - I know I can just remove my front der. and shorten the chain up a bit but does anyone have any info as to whether this works on the X5 crankset? I have heard conflicting info.
    I'm really not 100% sure, but if you have the 2x10 setup that comes with the Seeker, it looks like the spider would bolt up to the Raceface ring just like my X7 because it should just be the normal 104 BCD, right? As for the chain, on mine I removed just one link.

mtbr member
    I agree with Mike, I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing we did.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is what I was hoping to hear. Seemed like most of what I was reading was based on the older X5 triple. Looks like I've got one more thing I want to do to the bike... after a wheelset...

Thanks guys
    Eric

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I got my bike back tonight, with a fresh hub and a little free upgrade from SRAM. My mechanic noticed that my brakes were from a batch of Elixir 1's that came with the wrong O-ring installed on the piston. He had dealt with it before on other bikes and SRAM just replaces the brakes.

Apparently, they were out of Elixir 1's.

(sorry for the crappy photo, quick snap in my dark living room with my cell phone)

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yessir...that's an upgrade right there! Hey wait. I think my Elixir7s have a bad o-ring too. Yeah, that's it. A bad o-ring... SRAM claus, I've been real good, honest I have.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I never really had a problem with the Elixirs, to be honest, they did occasionally get a squeal that would come and go but I attributed that to overuse of the brakes and some slight warping, but these feel preeeetttty buttery smooth.
    Eric

mtbr member

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

I really like the Elixir R's on my first gen Goblin. They have been smooth, powerful, and problem free.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I really like the Elixir R's on my first gen Goblin. They have been smooth, powerful, and problem free.

I never would've upgraded beyond the Elixir 1's, but if SRAM is giving it away, I'll take it
    Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a sticky piston issue with my elixir 7s (goblin) and SRAM upgraded me to the XO trails. Then the lbs owner traded me for xt brakes and I must say they are amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Then the lbs owner traded me for xt brakes and I must say they are amazing.
    I've heard that about the Shimano brakes but never ridden with their hydraulics, just played with them in the shop. My LBS is a huge fan of SRAM for Brakes (he runs XO or the CODE downhill stuff on all of his personal bikes) and drivetrains, and Shimano hubs for budget conscious riders.
    Eric

Ride On!

My Zeppelin Elite - version 1.0

Totally stoked, got a 2011 Zeppelin Elite that the folks at Airborne had laying around the warehouse somewhere. I changed out the stock Rockshox Tora 289 which was way too soft for a Manitou Minute Expert 130mm fork upgraded with firm spring. The other touch was a set of Forte Convert Platform pedals. More to come and a big thanks to the folks at Airborne for the deal on the bike.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-84042ac5-04a0-40ac-891c-d9cf4718839a.jpg

Captain Climber

More SkyHawk Mods

The off season for me is finally over here in Florida. My local track has been too muddy until now. I finally got around to building my wheels. Stan's ZTR Arch Rims in White with some BHS Hubs. It rolls some much easier and faster now.

I ended up stripping a bolt head on my rotor when I was transferring parts over so I picked up a new Shimano Rotor for the front. This thing doesn't seem to warp nearly as bad as the stock rotor and it looks shinier! I'm going to have to get one for the back too.

I also switch the rear cassette for a SRAM PG850 Road cassette. I was only using a couple of gears at my local trail and this closer gearing has me using four. When I shift it is instant without the extra play that would sometimes knock my foot off the pedal. Now that I know I love it I will shorten the chain.

I also have a Suntour Epicon Air shock. This bike rode good stock but so much better now. It has to be a lot lighter too.

Next I'm getting some better and lighter flat pedals and a 1x crankset. I'd like to keep the 1x8 for now.

Any recommendations for a better BB, cranks and chain ring? What color should I do on a new seatpost, handlebars, stem? I think the white looks good so far but will over do it if I continue with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Nice Jem7sk. You really went all out on upgrades, I got stuck after the fork due to cost of other stuff. It has been awful with the rain and considering it was hot up until 3-4 weeks ago. I really like the wheels
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast