Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    My skyhawk is getting there even though it was there since I have had it.

I have changed or added:
    -WTB pure V seat
    - Specialized the captain 2.0 tires
    - lizard skin chainstay protector
    And last but not least the best of all
    - SR suntour Raidon RL fork

Attachment 794844
    Looks great, the Raidon fork makes a massive difference doesn't it. I'm now on a wife enforced spending freeze so won't be changing anything else on mine for a while unless it breaks. She has agreed to let me give clipless pedals a go though if I can find a used set cheap enough.

What's next on your list to upgrade?

Captain Climber
    My skyhawk is getting there even though it was there since I have had it.

I have changed or added:
    -WTB pure V seat
    - Specialized the captain 2.0 tires
    - lizard skin chainstay protector
    And last but not least the best of all
    - SR suntour Raidon RL fork

Attachment 794844
    Nice sfb12! How much did that new fork cost and how hard was it to install? How long do we have to upgrade at the discounted price? Did the chain stay protector make it silent?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    Looks great, the Raidon fork makes a massive difference doesn't it. I'm now on a wife enforced spending freeze so won't be changing anything else on mine for a while unless it breaks. She has agreed to let me give clipless pedals a go though if I can find a used set cheap enough.

What's next on your list to upgrade?
    I planned on ordering odi rogue grips tonight but after that a pedal replacement is in place. After that I do not believe I will be buying anything unless it breaks either

EDIT: Just ordered the ODI Rogue grips and DMR V8 pedals. Most of what i've done is all comfort/ parts that will make all the difference to the rider and thats what I feel most needed to be done.
    Last edited by sfb12; 04-29-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Nice sfb12! How much did that new fork cost and how hard was it to install? How long do we have to upgrade at the discounted price? Did the chain stay protector make it silent?
    I had the shop install the fork as I haven't had the time too but with shipping and install it was 190 ish. No idea how long the upgrade program will last that's why I took advantage of it while I could. And yes the chain stay protector makes it much quieter but not silent.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    I got them on sale at Performance Bikes...they where on sale for 299
    Tony, I am bumping this post from a while back. Are your wheels the experts or comps? Performance has the comps on sale for $299, no experts.

Do you remember how much weight difference there was between the stock wheel set and the black flags? I am not overly concerned with weight but it would be nice to lose some lbs when paying that much for a wheel set (even though it's on the low end of the wheel set price spectrum).

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Tony, I am bumping this post from a while back. Are your wheels the experts or comps? Performance has the comps on sale for $299, no experts.

Do you remember how much weight difference there was between the stock wheel set and the black flags? I am not overly concerned with weight but it would be nice to lose some lbs when paying that much for a wheel set (even though it's on the low end of the wheel set price spectrum).
    I got the comps. I never weighed them but there is a noteable weight differance. Those Geax tires are heavy so I may swap those out down the road. You will notice a huge differance even with the comps. I stuck to the comps as the Goblin I use mainly for xc stuff so I do not huck it or do stuff on it like my 6 inch bike. They are great wheels and a great upgrade over the stock ones.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post

I think I remember reading somewhere that stock wheels on goblin were about 2400g vs. Black Flag Comp is 1970g (even though performance bikes has listed for 18 something for it). The weight of BF is listed if you go to Sun Ringle site.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

New wheels...

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg

Put some new wheels on my wife's Skyhawk that I had hanging out in my garage. Nothing too fancy, Deore hubs and Mavic rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	795414

Put some new wheels on my wife's Skyhawk that I had hanging out in my garage. Nothing too fancy, Deore hubs and Mavic rims.
    Still are nice wheels, i'd take deore hubs over quando's anytime. Nice wheel build
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member

I know... I know... Icould have got the guardian by now or almost been to a goblin for the money I've spent, but I don't care its been a blast upgrading it.

Suntour Epicon fork (thing is sweet $210 from Amazon via Tawain)
    Race face Carbon sl next bars (CList for $40)
    Sette edge stem
    Oury grips.
    Easton Havoc seatpost
    WTB laser V
    Wellgo b103 pedals
    and currently sporting Michelin country rocks for neighborhood riding, which I switch out for the trails.

I haven't weighed it but it feels significantly lighter, and I'm loving it.

Saving up for a Hobgoblin now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You have done the best job i've seen yet upgrading it spec wise. How is that epicon fork?
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    You have done the best job i've seen yet upgrading it spec wise. How is that epicon fork?
    Thanks a lot.
    I understand it didn't make a lot of financial sense, but I've had a lot of fun doing it (and riding it), and that's what its about in the end right?

Unfortunately I have no base for comparison other than the XCM. This is my first real bike, but to me it seems incredible.
    The weight difference was shocking and dramatically changed the way the front end handles. It feels like it just floats over the roots instead of bouncing over them. I haven't even experimented with the rebound yet. Hopefully this weekend.
    Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised, if in a blind test, it was right up there with forks costing twice as much.

Hey, the same could probably be said for all the Airborne bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kope007 View Post

I know... I know... Icould have got the guardian by now or almost been to a goblin for the money I've spent, but I don't care its been a blast upgrading it.

Suntour Epicon fork (thing is sweet $210 from Amazon via Tawain)
    Race face Carbon sl next bars (CList for $40)
    Sette edge stem
    Oury grips.
    Easton Havoc seatpost
    WTB laser V
    Wellgo b103 pedals
    and currently sporting Michelin country rocks for neighborhood riding, which I switch out for the trails.

I haven't weighed it but it feels significantly lighter, and I'm loving it.

Saving up for a Hobgoblin now!
    Looks good! If you are enjoying the bike that is all that matters. The frames on these bikes are top shelf. I think they are well worth upgrading.

mtbr member
    And how do you like that WTB saddle? I am looking into one of those myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    And how do you like that WTB saddle? I am looking into one of those myself.
    Thanks.
    Just put it on Sunday and only was able to go to the end of the street and back. It felt great and I think I'm going to like it but have to get some dirt time before I can say for sure. I felt like I needed a deeper groove as I was getting pretty numb on longer rides. There's probably less expensive options, but I figured the saddle was not the place to go cheap. Pricepoint was much cheaper than everyone else.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Last one of my bike for now , I promise. This Is with everything that has been done and probably all that will be until stuff breaks.

All that's been added since last post was :

DMR V8 pedals
    ODI rogue grips

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21368058952.591683.jpg
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Had some goodies show up today! Love it when the UPS man stops by! (Unless its something my 'ol lady ordered)

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0354.jpg-2-.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0365.jpg-2-.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0363.jpg-2-.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_0366.jpg-2-.jpg

After putting the first 60 miles on her I decided to make some minor modifications.

Crank Bros. Iodine 3 bars. I liked the riding position of the stock straight bar, it was a blast on the tight twisty trails. However, after 10 miles or so I was having issues with my lower back. Hoping riser bars might help with that by giving me a more upright riding position. These are 680mm, so I can cut them back to 640 if I need to. I am also considering a shorter stem, but I'll take her out on a few rides and see how it feels.

WTB Pure V Pro Saddle. This saddle is awesome. It is not bulky and heavy and its like sitting in Grandma's Cadillac. The Selle San Marco stock seat just wasn't for me. I figured out real quick that pleather enemas are less than desirable.

Peaty grips are on the way. They seem to come highly recommended around here, so I thought I would give them a try. I think they will look sick on those new bars.

Shimano MX-80 Saint pedals. Love these. Not the lightest out there, but smooth and really hold me in place. They look great as well.

When it first arrived I thought I may need to swap out the tires. After putting some miles on it, the SB8's have won me over. Those things just roll! So far the grip has been way better than expected. I often road my bike several miles down to some ATV trails so I hate to give up that low resistance. It does get muddy around here (Houston) and that could be an issue, but we'll see.

No complaints with the drivetrain. After some minor adjustments it has ran like clockwork.

Brakes, love em. One of my favorite things about this bike!

I am a 200 lb guy and the forks have been fine. I know there are people out there saying that 170 lb is the limit, but they have been doing a good job for me. I have bottomed them out, but it was going off of a 2 foot drop. The trails I have been riding are fairly quick with lots of roots and the forks have been eating it up. I'll ride these until they wear out or break, then upgrade.

I don't have plans to upgrade much in the immediate future. From here on out it will be upgrade as it wears out or breaks. I am really happy with the bike as an overall package, and it is a looker as well. You just can't beat it for the money.
    Last edited by TheDocTx; 05-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Had some goodies show up today! Love it when the UPS man stops by! (Unless its something my 'ol lady ordered)

WTB Pure V Pro Saddle. This saddle is awesome. It is not bulky and heavy and its like sitting in Grandma's Cadillac. The Selle San Marco stock seat just wasn't for me. I figured out real quick that pleather enemas are less than desirable.

Nice saddle, is that the Comp or the Pro model?

mtbr member
    Disregard apparently I can't read lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WineDine29er View Post
    Disregard apparently I can't read lol
    Dude, the way WTB names those saddles is confusing as hell. I had to triple check when I was ordering it, so don't feel bad.

mtbr member
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-tupwf3k.jpg

Stan's Arch EX
    Ardent (f), Crossmark (r) tubeless
    Ritchey WCS C260
    Thomson Cross Country carbon bar 730mm
    Eggbeaters
    Easton EC90 zero carbon seatpost
    XT front skewer, Halo rear skewer
    ESi Chunky
    Specialized phenom saddle
    Thomson seat post clamp
    carbon headset spacers
    Niner bottlecap top cap

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Looks good!

How much did those arch ex's cost you if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Takeover View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TUPwf3K.jpg 
Views:	1199 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	799827

Stan's Arch EX
    Ardent (f), Crossmark (r) tubeless
    Ritchey WCS C260
    Thomson Cross Country carbon bar 730mm
    Eggbeaters
    Easton EC90 zero carbon seatpost
    XT front skewer, Halo rear skewer
    ESi Chunky
    Specialized phenom saddle
    Thomson seat post clamp
    carbon headset spacers
    Niner bottlecap top cap

Nice! The green goblin looks sweet! Any idea how much she weighs after those upgrades?

Captain Climber
    Nice... The green Goblin and the Guardian are the two best looking Airborne bikes to me. Wish they still came in green

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes. Love those 2 set ups!

Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast