Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1463
  1. #1001
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midwestxmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey Mike, looks good!

    We need to work out a time when all of us can meet up to ride sometime soon, maybe at Versailles or Brown County.

    Jeremy

    Thanks dude! I think a bunch of buddies will be riding Memorial Day weekend.

  2. #1002
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midwestxmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Awesome. How does it ride? Have you weighed it? Looks like pretty light spec.
    It rides freakin awesome! as for the weight its somewhere between 26-27lbs!

  3. #1003
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    302
    Very nice.

  4. #1004
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    Here's mine...
    Attachment 887788
    Gorgeous build!

  5. #1005
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midwestxmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Gorgeous build!
    Thanks!

  6. #1006
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Midwestxmike
    That is one sweet looking bike.!
    I se a Facebook POD in your future.

  7. #1007
    orange617
    Reputation: orange617's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    41
    here she comes...just test rides recently but never got to ride it on the trails yet...

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3120.jpg

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3127.jpg

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-imag3130.jpg

  8. #1008
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4
    My Guardian...

    Azonic Agile 780mm 1" rise bars
    Odi SDG grips
    Bike Bell
    Welbro pedals
    WTB seat (will be here on Wednesday)

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-10178015_10152355003377436_7356774554798868251_n.jpg

  9. #1009
    Ride On!
    Reputation: NorthSideOf50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxmike View Post
    Here's mine...
    Attachment 887788
    Frame: Airborne Hobgoblin
    ForK: Rockshox SID RCT3
    Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3
    Curious, what are the travel on the shocks? Dang sweet ride! Droool

  10. #1010
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post
    Curious, what are the travel on the shocks? Dang sweet ride! Droool
    100mm front and rear is stock with complete bike and the frame set comes with 100mm rear. Is a SID available in travel adjust?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  11. #1011
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Installed my new X Fusion Slide today.
    Anyone know where I can get a new fork crown race to fit the original headset on a Guardian 2? I am giving my original wheelset, headset and fork to a buddy for a frame that he is getting.

  12. #1012
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    Installed my new X Fusion Slide today.
    Anyone know where I can get a new fork crown race to fit the original headset on a Guardian 2? I am giving my original wheelset, headset and fork to a buddy for a frame that he is getting.
    Bike shop should have one.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  13. #1013
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    302
    Orange617: That looks wicked-awesome!

  14. #1014
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Some damn nice bikes posted on here lately. Midwest & orange - Wow! Awesome rides.

    I noticed the TX plates in your pic orange, and I gotta ask....are there dh runs in Texas??

  15. #1015
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Bike shop should have one.
    Yeah, I thought they might have a few lying around.

  16. #1016
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,417
    Updated wheels to DeeMax... and will be riding DH tubeless this season.

    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  17. #1017
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Swwwweeeet bike JH!

  18. #1018
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    Installed my new X Fusion Slide today.
    Anyone know where I can get a new fork crown race to fit the original headset on a Guardian 2? I am giving my original wheelset, headset and fork to a buddy for a frame that he is getting.
    I would recommend that you just remove your race from your fork before you give the fork to your buddy. Unless he is using the same headset he couldn't use it anyway and would need to remove it. May as well use it yourself instead of it going into the bin.

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  19. #1019
    orange617
    Reputation: orange617's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Orange617: That looks wicked-awesome!
    Thanks MikeinMinn...

  20. #1020
    orange617
    Reputation: orange617's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Some damn nice bikes posted on here lately. Midwest & orange - Wow! Awesome rides.

    I noticed the TX plates in your pic orange, and I gotta ask....are there dh runs in Texas??
    not a lot 8... i know theres one in dallas, a short one and another one in burnett...more of an enduro trail as you have to ride or push it uphill...once or twice a year, me and my buddies would drive to angel fire or sandia peak to enjoy the lift accessed trails...thats the closest one that i know of...

  21. #1021
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I would recommend that you just remove your race from your fork before you give the fork to your buddy. Unless he is using the same headset he couldn't use it anyway and would need to remove it. May as well use it yourself instead of it going into the bin.

    Jeremy
    I upgraded my headset and I cant find the original race. He is getting the original headset and fork from my Guardian.

  22. #1022
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    I believe the only Stock items are the X5 Rear Der and Brakes.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian-xfusion.jpg

  23. #1023
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    145
    Can you let us know what size frame that is?

  24. #1024
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    I upgraded my headset and I cant find the original race. He is getting the original headset and fork from my Guardian.
    Ah, OK!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  25. #1025
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Can you let us know what size frame that is?
    Looks like an 18".

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  26. #1026
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Looks like an 18".

    Jeremy
    Sorry about that Jeremy, i meant to quote midwestxmike post with his Orange HobGob.

  27. #1027
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Sorry about that Jeremy, i meant to quote midwestxmike post with his Orange HobGob.
    I believe Mike's is a 17.5".

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  28. #1028
    mtbr member
    Reputation: midwestxmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I believe Mike's is a 17.5".

    Jeremy
    Jeremy, you are correct!

  29. #1029
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drteming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    After rebuilding my rear wheel after I missed a poorly adjusted rear derailleur, I thought I'd finally post what I have done to my Goblin.

    Here's the overall bike. Took off the gaudy wheel stickers.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-13905751687_9634749b93_o.jpg

    Hylix bar and stems from that massive on-line marketplace, together weighing 280 grams. The stem is 100mm long and the bar is 600mm wide. I cut my teeth back in the late 80's and early 90's with narrow 550mm bars. I can't get used to the wider bars that are in style today. Oury grips. KCNC stem cap. The headset spacers are titanium.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-13905779768_0d2683686c_o.jpg

    WTB Speed V ProGel saddle, Q2 carbon post.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-14089154581_3894c27c41_o.jpg

    ...and the obligatory 1x10 conversion (32T). Still running the stock X7 rear derailleur and cassette, no problems with thrown chain, nor have I needed at 42T cog with the relatively mild terrain around here. Oh, and the chain ring bolts are titanium. Why? I got a titanium road bike, and I like the metal.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-14092821864_a890fe1594_o.jpg

  30. #1030
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7
    Very nice. I like it.

  31. #1031
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Couple more shots.
    X9 Short Cage and JagWire cables going on this week.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian.2.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-guardian2.0.jpg

  32. #1032
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19
    This is my silver Goblin... started out with the black frame but ended up totaling it out earlier this spring! Can't remember all the specifics on the upgrades off the top of my head but here are a few:

    Raceface riser bar (can't remember size but it is def wider than stock)
    Raceface Strafe lock-on grips
    Truvativ AKA 70mm stem
    Wellgo MG-1 pedals
    Kenda Nevegal 2.2's (tubeless)

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-13-.jpg

    and here is another pic before I threw on the Nevegals

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_2472.jpg

  33. #1033
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    How did you break the old frame makinmoves? If you don't mind me asking

  34. #1034
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    How did you break the old frame makinmoves? If you don't mind me asking
    I was comin' in HOT through a pretty techy section and hit a tree stump (or what was left of one)... basically like hitting a brick wall haha... immediately went over the bars. Popped my front tire and bent my front wheel beyond repair. I had to order a new rim and have the front wheel rebuilt as well! I had everything swapped over and was back out riding within 2 weeks though. I do want to be clear on one thing - I don't want my story to result in anyone thinking the frame was weak or anything. Airborne makes quality products and I will continue to buy from them (I now have THREE friends that I have persuaded into buying Airborne and they are all happy they listened). Jeremy and Eric are two of the most helpful dudes in the business!

    Some good looking bikes in this thread... keep them coming!

  35. #1035
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Oh ok, I was just curious if it was in a wreck or something else. I figured it was a wreck, these frames are pretty stout

  36. #1036
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Modified the bike unintentionally last night on a high speed crash - gave the front wheel a nice wobble!

  37. #1037
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    I went over a bunch of pages here and its cool to see all the different upgrades. Not sure what guides people to choose one product over the other though. There are so many different products to choose from. Is it the manufacturer that sways your decision between two similar products or what?

    I'm lookin to upgrade on my Goblin:

    Stem(shorter and lighter)
    Handlebars(lighter and slightly wider)
    Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

    Id like to shave a little off the weight for the time being and later upgrade the wheelset. Id like to order the best parts i can that will be very durable and if possible be able to swap over to a different bike if I choose to upgrade in the future. Now its just the research......

  38. #1038
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Modified the bike unintentionally last night on a high speed crash - gave the front wheel a nice wobble!
    I did similar recently soul man found this guide extremely helpful its not quite perfect but perfectly ride-able: Wheel Truing

  39. #1039
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    814

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    I went over a bunch of pages here and its cool to see all the different upgrades. Not sure what guides people to choose one product over the other though. There are so many different products to choose from. Is it the manufacturer that sways your decision between two similar products or what?

    I'm lookin to upgrade on my Goblin:

    Stem(shorter and lighter)
    Handlebars(lighter and slightly wider)
    Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

    Id like to shave a little off the weight for the time being and later upgrade the wheelset. Id like to order the best parts i can that will be very durable and if possible be able to swap over to a different bike if I choose to upgrade in the future. Now its just the research......
    To answer your question; I went with the Easton stem because it was on clearance for 8.99 and I wasn't positive of the length I'd need. No reason to spend a ton if I dont know what length will be good. Its good, the stem performs fine, and I am only out $9.

    Handlebars. Went with RaceFace Turbines because they were made in Orange and were lighter than DH bars that I didn't need but still wider and stiffer than the original bars. Tires? Wanted anything other than a microknob for the front, found a good deal (9.99) on the VeeRubber Speed-R and love them. Have since started running a different VeeRubber tire on my 26" bike and love it as much.

    Next up will be wheels. Trying to build the most reliable and durable set I can within my budget... That means shimano 529 hubs laced to Velocity Blunt 35 rims with Sapim spokes.

    Went with SPD 530 Pedals because I have the 520s on my roadbike, know how to service them, and have had no problems. The little cage on the 530s helps with stability when not clipped in over technical stuff.
    Eric

  40. #1040
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    I went over a bunch of pages here and its cool to see all the different upgrades. Not sure what guides people to choose one product over the other though. There are so many different products to choose from. Is it the manufacturer that sways your decision between two similar products or what?

    I'm lookin to upgrade on my Goblin:

    Stem(shorter and lighter)
    Handlebars(lighter and slightly wider)
    Pedals(ordered m540s)
    Seat/Seatpost(lighter)

    Id like to shave a little off the weight for the time being and later upgrade the wheelset. Id like to order the best parts i can that will be very durable and if possible be able to swap over to a different bike if I choose to upgrade in the future. Now its just the research......
    For the stem, bars, and seatpost, it's hard to go wrong with easton or raceface stuff. Or if you want a seatpost with more setback (like I do) truvativ makes posts with 25mm of setback. I have the T30 and have no complaints. Its way lighter than stock and has survived a few crashes.

    The only suggestion I have as far as bars and stems go....don't buy super expensive stuff right away, buy the cheaper parts to see what feels best. Then you can always upgrade to lighter stuff later.

  41. #1041
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    Okay I decided I'd replace the seatpost and stem first. Already ordered the m540 pedals. How do these replacements look??

    Gonna go with the

    EC carbon 70 seatpost

    Easton EC70 Carbon Seatpost 2012 > Components > Saddles and Seatposts > Seatposts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    and I think a 70mm Race Face Stem. This one isn't exactly high end but I figure v11king is correct In that I shouldn't spend too much on the stem and what not until I have the fit dialed in...And currently I feel the stock 100mm stem is slightly too long.

    Race Face Ride Stem > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    Anyone have any better suggestions?


    Thanks

  42. #1042
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    That stem could be shorter (depending on what length you order), but it's not lighter than the stock stem (my stock stem was around 135g). Blueskycycling is a great place to look, I got a RF Deus 70mm for like $20, but the shorter lengths are gone now...

    Keep your eye on Jenson for a deal on carbon bars...every year when Easton puts out the exact same bar with a different model year in front of it, the current ones go on sale. I think I paid $70 for my carbon EC70, which I love.

    The M540's are a great pedal, and a great deal.

    Not sure what other components you've switched out, but if your goal is weight savings, you could put the money you would use for a seatpost (savings are ~100g, right?) and buy a different tire (RR, Ikon, Ignitor) and save around 300g of rotating weight. Just a thought.

  43. #1043
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by intotheblue View Post
    That stem could be shorter (depending on what length you order), but it's not lighter than the stock stem (my stock stem was around 135g). Blueskycycling is a great place to look, I got a RF Deus 70mm for like $20, but the shorter lengths are gone now...

    Keep your eye on Jenson for a deal on carbon bars...every year when Easton puts out the exact same bar with a different model year in front of it, the current ones go on sale. I think I paid $70 for my carbon EC70, which I love.

    The M540's are a great pedal, and a great deal.

    Not sure what other components you've switched out, but if your goal is weight savings, you could put the money you would use for a seatpost (savings are ~100g, right?) and buy a different tire (RR, Ikon, Ignitor) and save around 300g of rotating weight. Just a thought.
    I am looking for weight savings when it comes to swapping out the seatpost. I'm changing out the stem/handlebar for some weight savings but more for handling and maneuverability. I'm not sure what you mean "That stem could be shorter". The stock airborne stem is 100mm I believe. I'm kind of experimenting by going to the 70mm because the 100 feels a bit too stretched out. I didn't want to spend too much on the stem yet because I want to be 100% that this is the fit I am looking for. But if you think I can get a lighter stem for the money im about to spend then please recommend me something else. Also, the stock airborne stem is weighed at 246 grams not 135 as seen here

    I didn't consider swapping the tires first.....I figured i'd get all the life out of these first before I junked serviceable tires. Swapping tires also seems like a dispensable means of weight loss unlike non-wear parts. Weight loss is weight loss though I guess.

  44. #1044
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,417

    Pathogen

    Current Pathogen build up... Mostly parts-swapped from my Taka, save for a few key items.


    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-pathogen-may-build.jpg

    Saddle - Tioga Spider Taiwan Knock-off, $10 on ebay

    Post / clamp - generic

    Fork - 2012 Boxxer RC

    Stem - Marrow Components Boxxer Direct Mount stem

    Bars - Deity Black Labels uncut

    Pedals - Nuke Proof, plastic body - metal pins - identical to the Deity's and HT plastic body pedals. I've found them to durable, light, and as robust/grippy as any metal pedal, save for some of those high end Straightlines with a million pins in them. These coupled with 5-Tens are about as close to being clipped as you can get.

    Cranks - Gravity Gap cranks from the Taka

    Chainguide - E-13 LG 1

    Chain Ring - E-13 Guide Ring, 37t

    Cassette - Shimano Dura Ace road cassette

    Rear Mech - Sram Rival (road bike mech, short cage)

    Shifter - Sram x7

    Grips - Vans waffle pattern bolt on grips by ODI

    Wheels - Mavic DeeMax

    Tires - Front: Minion DHF, reare Michelin wild grippr, both 2.5 and both tubeless

    Brakes - Avid Elixr R

    I'd like to upgrade brakes and cranks next I think, looking at Saint cranks and probably Zee or SLX brakes. Other than that, can't ask much more for this bike, its performing admirably
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  45. #1045
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    I am looking for weight savings when it comes to swapping out the seatpost. I'm changing out the stem/handlebar for some weight savings but more for handling and maneuverability. I'm not sure what you mean "That stem could be shorter". The stock airborne stem is 100mm I believe. I'm kind of experimenting by going to the 70mm because the 100 feels a bit too stretched out. I didn't want to spend too much on the stem yet because I want to be 100% that this is the fit I am looking for. But if you think I can get a lighter stem for the money im about to spend then please recommend me something else. Also, the stock airborne stem is weighed at 246 grams not 135 as seen here

    I didn't consider swapping the tires first.....I figured i'd get all the life out of these first before I junked serviceable tires. Swapping tires also seems like a dispensable means of weight loss unlike non-wear parts. Weight loss is weight loss though I guess.
    I think 70mm would be a good place to start with the stem.

    Tires are also a great suggestion. The stock wire bead akas are really heavy compared to some other comparable tires out there. Also, losing rotational weight is more noticeable than weight loss anywhere else on the bike.

  46. #1046
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    They must have changed something, the Airborne stem that came last week on my Goblin weighs 136g. I just weighed it. The RF Ride is a solid choice, and you won't notice a difference of 40g. Looks sweet, too. I really like the short stem/wide, low rise bar setup. Good point about weight loss in the post being more or less permanent. The Geak AKA's are super heavy, though...you could possibly resell one or both of them to offset the cost of replacement.

  47. #1047
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    I have the race face ride stem in 70mm and love it. A great starting point. I have it coupled with 720mm bars which seems the perfect combo for me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  48. #1048
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    Couple more shots.
    X9 Short Cage and JagWire cables going on this week.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guardian.2.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	890746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guardian2.0.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	228.9 KB 
ID:	890748
    What length is that x-fusion? 120mm?

  49. #1049
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    145



    Got my new bb and crankset installed on the guardian. Made some progress on my goblin build too.

  50. #1050
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Nice fork ya got there on that Guardian! Haha

  51. #1051
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Nice fork ya got there on that Guardian! Haha
    Lol still holding up like a champ!

  52. #1052
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    It's not much, but that is a sexy looking saddle. I can't wait to get a longer ride with it.

    Last edited by molon_labe; 05-29-2014 at 02:21 PM.

  53. #1053
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    167
    Looks great! Suits the color scheme as well.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  54. #1054
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    It's not much, but that is a sexy looking saddle. I can't wait to get a longer ride with it.

    Your guardian looks great! Do the stock brakes come in black now?

  55. #1055
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Your guardian looks great! Do the stock brakes come in black now?
    No they don't.

    There are some with black brakes intermixed in the stock as we ran out of white near the end of the recent run. The boxes aren't ID'd with brake color, so if someone orders a bike the brakes will probably be white but have a small chance of being black.

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  56. #1056
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Your guardian looks great! Do the stock brakes come in black now?
    I guess I just got lucky.

  57. #1057
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    223
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_2145.jpg

    I put some new tires on the Goblin. They are Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Rear and 2.4 Front. Both tires look to have plently of cleareance.

    I'm going riding after work and look forward to testing them out.

  58. #1058
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Great looking Goblin! You are going to like those tires, especially if you go tubeless.

  59. #1059
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    It's not much, but that is a sexy looking saddle. I can't wait to get a longer ride with it.
    I REALLY wanted to get one of those Charge saddles but the red stitched logo would have clashed with the green on my Goblin. I ended up getting a Bontrager Evoke R saddle because it has just a skosh more padding than the stock saddle. I'm going to take some photos of my Goblin this weekend and post 'em up.

  60. #1060
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
    I REALLY wanted to get one of those Charge saddles but the red stitched logo would have clashed with the green on my Goblin. I ended up getting a Bontrager Evoke R saddle because it has just a skosh more padding than the stock saddle. I'm going to take some photos of my Goblin this weekend and post 'em up.
    Did you look at the charge scoop saddles? I'm pretty sure they make it in a green that would have matched. I do like the spoon very much. There's not a whole lot more padding bit it is shaped much more ergonomically for me.

  61. #1061
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    Did you look at the charge scoop saddles? I'm pretty sure they make it in a green that would have matched. I do like the spoon very much. There's not a whole lot more padding bit it is shaped much more ergonomically for me.
    I have to admit that I didn't look at the scoop saddle. Right now the Bontrager is working fine for me but I may give the scoop a chance in the future because I've read a lot of good things about it.

  62. #1062
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    26
    Rigid project, still need to find the right bar height and cut the steerer.

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-20140606_174653.jpg

  63. #1063
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    That's a nice looking Goblin!

  64. #1064
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    46
    Here is my Airborne Goblin:



    Upgrades:
    - Raceface Turbine 70mm Stem
    - Raceface Next CF Riser Bars
    - ODI Troy Lee Design Lock-on Grips
    - Specialized Milano Saddle
    - Spank Spike Platform Pedals
    - Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo SS 29x2.35(F) & 29x2.25(R)

  65. #1065
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Clever Handle View Post
    Rigid project, still need to find the right bar height and cut the steerer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140606_174653.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	899302
    Nice, Is that a Carver 490 Trail fork? If so, how do you like it? I haven't been able to find any reviews.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

  66. #1066
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    26
    Yes, it is. I haven't had a chance to get it on the trails yet, It's been raining since I finished. The fork definately looks sturdy though. I'll let you know once I get a couple rides in.

  67. #1067
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fuglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Clever Handle View Post
    Yes, it is. I haven't had a chance to get it on the trails yet, It's been raining since I finished.

    not an excuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

  68. #1068
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21

    HobGoblin V2.0

    Here is my resurrected HobGoblin that I am just about finished putting together. All I have left is a rear brake bleed. Thanks go out to Jeremy and the rest of Airborne for assistance.

    Shimano SLX Brakes with XT Modification
    Specialied S-Works Low Rise Carbon Handlebar 660mm
    Specialized Body Geometry Contoured Grips
    Bontrager Saddle
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-1-2-.jpg

    Tires - Ghetto Tubless
    Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs with Stans ZTR Flow EX Rims
    Front Tire - Maxxis Ardent 2.25
    Rear Tire - Maxxis Ignitor 2.1

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-photo-2-2-.jpg

    Drivetrain - 1X10
    SRAM XX Rear Shifter
    SRAM X9 Type 2 Short Cage Rear Derailleur
    SRAM Hollowpin 10 Speed Chain
    Velo Chainguard
    Truvativ XX Crankset
    Renthal 36t Single Sproket
    MRP Chainguide
    Crank Brothers Candy 3 Pedals

  69. #1069
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Nice, Is that a Carver 490 Trail fork? If so, how do you like it? I haven't been able to find any reviews.
    Got out today to give it a proper test. I loaded up a tubeless Nobby Nick and a Racing Ralph instead of the Maxxis Ikons. I have to say that aside from giving me a beating, it really held the trails well and cornered like it was on rails. Some a the downhills were a little sketchy, but it's to be expected when I am blasting down them rigid.

  70. #1070
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toddre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,384
    Well since it doesn't seem that AB has any immediate plans for a new cross bike I'll have to ride and race my Delta for a bit.... a new powder coat and some parts upgrades were desperatly needed....maybe more pics to come when its finished....
    Name:  download (2).jpg
Views: 705
Size:  41.9 KBName:  download (1).jpg
Views: 687
Size:  46.2 KB
    Sorry about the sideways pic...I'm computer illiterate

  71. #1071
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    814
    Love that color choice!
    Eric

  72. #1072
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    Very nice delta! Me gusta

  73. #1073
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.

  74. #1074
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,835
    The purple Delta looks great!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  75. #1075
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.
    Add Some gold skewers and I think it will look great! in my opinion at least. but I'm a fan of gold accents. before I found airborne I was set on getting last years GT karakoram Hans Rey edition. i dont really care for white but I loved the way that bike looked.

  76. #1076
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.
    I'm using Orange Raceface bars on my Seeker... looks awesome. I think some bright colored bars would look great with the Goblin colors as well.
    Eric

  77. #1077
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.
    I am running Gold Race Face bars on my Guardian 2.0. I like the way it looks.

  78. #1078
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    Do factory modifications count?


  79. #1079
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    Do factory modifications count?

    Sweet bike! Love all the XO goodness!

  80. #1080
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Sweet bike! Love all the XO goodness!
    Thanks man. I did 13.8 miles on some local double track trails this morning and was really impressed with how it performed. Tomorrow morning I'm taking it up to some more difficult trails to test out.

  81. #1081
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Fresh install of a KS eTen dropper post. All I can say is, WOW! I can't believe how much fun just dropping the seat one inch for a fast downhill section lets you just rail corners. For just under 120 bucks, this thing simply rocks!!


  82. #1082
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    15

    Going 1x10

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg

  83. #1083
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    501
    Here are a couple more on some local trails.






  84. #1084
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipstyle54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrock205 View Post
    Anyone running anything other than just black handlebars on their newer Goblin? Thinking about adding some color to the bike with maybe gold Easton bars and seat clamp or something. Don't know if it will look stupid though.
    I have a White Easton EA70 Monkeybar

  85. #1085
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4

    My Goblin build

    My 16 inch Goblin is near complete. I started in mid April what was supposed to take several months to build. I couldn't wait, though, and jumped the gun on some lower-end parts and those with questionable reputations:
    -Maxxis Crossmark tires on Bontrager Rangers (only really used item)
    -SRAM X5 derrailleurs (this pic has a Shimano Tourney front) and shifters
    -SRAM cranks
    -SPD pedals
    -LWA carbon handlebar with ODI grips
    -Avid Elixr brakes
    -Race Face post
    The pic was taken after the inaugural ride, before I learned how to adjust the seat angle and before I realized the goathead thorns are everywhere and a biker's nemesis.Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-wp_20140621_001.jpg

  86. #1086
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by bushleaguer View Post
    My 16 inch Goblin is near complete. I started in mid April what was supposed to take several months to build. I couldn't wait, though, and jumped the gun on some lower-end parts and those with questionable reputations:
    -Maxxis Crossmark tires on Bontrager Rangers (only really used item)
    -SRAM X5 derrailleurs (this pic has a Shimano Tourney front) and shifters
    -SRAM cranks
    -SPD pedals
    -LWA carbon handlebar with ODI grips
    -Avid Elixr brakes
    -Race Face post
    The pic was taken after the inaugural ride, before I learned how to adjust the seat angle and before I realized the goathead thorns are everywhere and a biker's nemesis.
    Great looking Silver Goblin! Where do you ride in the southwest?

  87. #1087
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4
    El Paso...Franklin Mountains and Hueco Tanks, so far.

  88. #1088
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    59

    Just getting started...

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3232.jpg

    stock skyhawk

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3237.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-img_3238.jpg

    wider bars (740 Truvativ BooBar), shorter stem (65 crank bros iodine), and lockon grips in steezy white. love the difference

    now for the fork...

  89. #1089
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Well I figured I'd write a little review of my new brakes and shifter, for anyone who is on the fence about upgrading....

    I had finally had enough of my noisy elixir 7's and decided to go with shimano slx's (m675). Right out of the box I was impressed, they included everything needed to shorten the hoses (which was a breeze). After shortening the hoses, setup was super simple. The calipers were wayyyyy easier to get aligned thanks to no stupid cps washers. Total setup time was less than an hour, then I bedded them in and hit the trails for a 3 hour ride.

    First thing I noticed on the trails was.....nothing. The sweet sound of silence! I didn't hear a single peep the whole ride. Second thing I noticed was the power, wow it takes very little pressure to stop with these babies. So far so good, I'm very impressed so far and would recommend these to anybody. I wish I woulda done it sooner rather than spending time and money trying to fix the avids.... (funny, when I typed avid my autocorrect corrected it to avoid....coincidence??)

    Now about the shifter. I upgraded to X9 on my goblin not because there was anything wrong with my X7, but I got it for a good price and was looking for a little quicker shifting. And it definitely delivers. First thing I noticed is the lever throw is much shorter in than the x7, resulting in quicker shifts. I found myself accidentally shifting 2 gears at once before I got used to it. Also the shifts feel much more positive with the x9. I don't know if my cable was bad in my old shifter or what, but it felt mushy compared to the x9. Overall I'm very impressed with the shifter as well, the performance increase was worth the money spent.

    Hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting some new goodies. Don't hesitate, just do it!








  90. #1090
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    324
    I think that is the same brake I put on my wifes Quicksilver Goblin. They seemed very nice to me too. I ashamed to say we haven't even been out for a ride yet to really test them though. We had some unexpected things come up. But as soon as we get out I will try to get pictures of the build.

  91. #1091
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Well I figured I'd write a little review of my new brakes and shifter, for anyone who is on the fence about upgrading....

    I had finally had enough of my noisy elixir 7's and decided to go with shimano slx's (m675). Right out of the box I was impressed, they included everything needed to shorten the hoses (which was a breeze). After shortening the hoses, setup was super simple. The calipers were wayyyyy easier to get aligned thanks to no stupid cps washers. Total setup time was less than an hour, then I bedded them in and hit the trails for a 3 hour ride.

    First thing I noticed on the trails was.....nothing. The sweet sound of silence! I didn't hear a single peep the whole ride. Second thing I noticed was the power, wow it takes very little pressure to stop with these babies. So far so good, I'm very impressed so far and would recommend these to anybody. I wish I woulda done it sooner rather than spending time and money trying to fix the avids.... (funny, when I typed avid my autocorrect corrected it to avoid....coincidence??)

    Now about the shifter. I upgraded to X9 on my goblin not because there was anything wrong with my X7, but I got it for a good price and was looking for a little quicker shifting. And it definitely delivers. First thing I noticed is the lever throw is much shorter in than the x7, resulting in quicker shifts. I found myself accidentally shifting 2 gears at once before I got used to it. Also the shifts feel much more positive with the x9. I don't know if my cable was bad in my old shifter or what, but it felt mushy compared to the x9. Overall I'm very impressed with the shifter as well, the performance increase was worth the money spent.

    Hope this helps anyone on the fence about getting some new goodies. Don't hesitate, just do it!
    Great writeup!! Still loving my silent SLX's as well, glad to see you took the leap too!

  92. #1092
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitch1171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    519
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-1x10.jpgWent 1X10 with a Wolf tooth 34T chain ring. Cant wait to try it out this weekend

  93. #1093
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Great writeup!! Still loving my silent SLX's as well, glad to see you took the leap too!
    Yeah they're great, all that noise can really ruin a ride! Thanks for all the info BTW. I decided to go slx because I really couldn't justify the extra $ for xt's....all you really get is a threaded pad retainer bolt vs the cotter pin

    I remember you saying yours came with resin pads....are yours the 675's?? Because mine came with the metallic finned pads.

  94. #1094
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1x10.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	906960Went 1X10 with a Wolf tooth 34T chain ring. Cant wait to try it out this weekend
    Nice! Report back!

  95. #1095
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Yeah they're great, all that noise can really ruin a ride! Thanks for all the info BTW. I decided to go slx because I really couldn't justify the extra $ for xt's....all you really get is a threaded pad retainer bolt vs the cotter pin

    I remember you saying yours came with resin pads....are yours the 675's?? Because mine came with the metallic finned pads.
    Mine are last year's model, the 665. I had to buy my finned pads separate, but looking forward to wearing these resins out so I can try them.

  96. #1096
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    242
    Is there anyway to safely remove the decals on the Goblin? I just ordered my Goblin but I am very simple and all the green and such is a lot going on (personal preference). I know they are clearcoated on but I thought I would ask anyway.

  97. #1097
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes

    Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    Is there anyway to safely remove the decals on the Goblin? I just ordered my Goblin but I am very simple and all the green and such is a lot going on (personal preference). I know they are clearcoated on but I thought I would ask anyway.
    I'm 99% sure the decals are under the clear coat

  98. #1098
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74
    They are def not removable, as they are under the clearcoat. Totally agree; would have loved to have a design with only 2 colors (black w/green decals) instead of the black/silver/green.

  99. #1099
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    106
    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-7.11.b.jpgPost Your Modified Airborne Bikes-7.11.jpg
    Got some new goodies coming for the 2.0
    Race Face Chester Handlebars
    Black ESI Chunky Grips
    Race Face Turbine Seat post
    Black Woodman Seat collar
    Cateye Strada and a Barfly mount
    Black Race Face Aeffect Pedals
    Last edited by JohnPar5; 07-12-2014 at 07:49 AM.

  100. #1100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    13

    My little Red Zepp:)

    Here is my 2011 Airborne Red Zeppelin. Got this bike on clearance in May of 2012 and have been slowly adding things to my liking.

    Here is a list if the goods:
    Race face carbon bars, seat post, neck, and XC xtype cranks
    Hope ceramic bottom bracket
    Fox float 32 RL 140mm forks
    Stan's tubeless conversion with kenda sb8 out back and nevegal upfront
    SRAM 9spd cassette, chain, x7 shifters and rear derailleur.
    Elixir 9 brakes
    Serfas Rx 921v seat
    We'll go clip less

    I know it's not a newer cooler Airborne but it handles my 235 lbs 2-3days a week. Beating it up on the trails!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  

    Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes-image.jpg  


Members who have read this thread: 41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •