mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Outgrown my Guardian

I purchased my Guardian last year and have really enjoyed the bike. I've been doing more rocky trails with climbs and drops and I think I'm pushing the limits of this bike. I sold a road bike I wasn't using and have a little extra cash and am trying to decide what to do from here.

Should I upgrade components on this frame or sell it and buy a new bike? I checked out the Goblin Evolution and it looks good. I also looked at a few 2013 full suspension bikes at my LBS on close out for around $1600-$1800.

Just looking for some input!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are you set on going full suspension?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nope. Just looking to get myself on a bike that will do everything I want for the next few years. If I can spend a few hundred on upgrades and be good then I'd be happy to save the money!

Airborne Flight Crew
    IF you're edging towards more aggressive riding, I'd give the Goblin EVO a good look... Like most Airbornes, it's a LOT of bike for the price - this might be one of the best values they've brought to the table, and I think it's geared specifically towards the riding you're growing in to.

What upgrades would bring the Guardian up to your comfort level? Even if you upgrade drivetrain, brakes, fork... The EVO still has nice big thru-axles, that charger wheelset and quite respectable fork. You can do a LOT to a Guardian (love mine), but even with keen upgrades, you can't make it equal to the EVO.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ^ +1 what Hazard said

Goblin EVO seems like a good bet to me. I outgrew my Guardian and moved on to a Canfield Yelli Screamy, and it fit the bill perfectly. Goblin EVO Is very comparable to the YS, I would have bought one if it had been available last spring.

I had upgraded my Guardian quite a bit. (10mm Reba, Charger Pro wheel set, SLX brakes, X9 drive train, Wide bars, Short Stem, etc) but the slacker geometry of the YS was a huge difference, First ride, I immediately felt more confident on the rougher sections.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." ShakyPuddin

mtbr member
    ^up there...they nailed it...the EVO seems like the perfect bike for pushing those limits..since going back to a hard tail I sold one of my FS bikes and hardly ride it..I totally am back to HT and a bike like the EVO would be my next choice for a mountain bike