Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Usulsuspct View Post
    Attachment 778915

I know it doesn't help you much but my front brake rubbing finally stopped. I did a combination of removing caliper and pads, depressing pistons and removing tire. Magically after trying all of this on a few separate occasions the rubbing stopped. When the rubbing stopped I carefully tightened down the caliper by alternately tightening the mounting bolts. So far so good.

I did notice that ne of my pads looked like it was "missing" a bit of material which I thought was odd but it's working now so I am hesitant to futz with it anymore.

(I attached a pic of my pads - sorta hard to tell but pad on left looked like a portion was missing.)

Good luck! I am now learning about dérailleur tweaking.
    I think when you were originally trying to adjust your brakes you damaged that pad with whatever method. As long as it has good integrety and stopping power you should be fine for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can't rule anything out, but I did remove pads before depressing pistons. Only thing I can think of is maybe I wasn't careful enough putting front wheel on at some point and the rotor caught the lip maybe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Usulsuspct View Post
    Can't rule anything out, but I did remove pads before depressing pistons. Only thing I can think of is maybe I wasn't careful enough putting front wheel on at some point and the rotor caught the lip maybe?
    Thats a possibility I guess. Does the bike still stop well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Thats a possibility I guess. Does the bike still stop well?
    Haven't been able to get out on the bike yet for its maiden voyage. The weather should be nice both tomorrow and Sunday. If all goes as planned I should be able to get some miles in this weekend.

The brake seems to have good stopping power in my living room

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hopefully it will be all good then. Worst case scenario your LBS sells replacement organic pads for cheap.. or at least should. I don't think you will have a problem though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Went for first ride today. All in all a fun time. Front brake did start to rub soon after leaving the house and the shifting still isn't dialed in but I did enjoy myself. I also learned a couple of things: the clips are coming off and flats are going on, ate it twice (most definitely a rider problem!); snow is no easier to ride through than it was 10 years ago

I am going to take one more crack at dialing things in and then it's off to lbs for tuneup. I had hoped to wait a couple of months before taking it in and let things break in first but that may not be an option.

mtbr member
    I had to dial in my Goblin extensively - both the brakes and most of all the rear deraileur. I had no clue where to start or what to do. I also refused to have the lbs touch my bike because they are a bunch of arrogant a$$es. Anyway, I went right to YouTube to research the issues. A few hours later the problems were gone. Try it first before you pay someone else.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't dislike my lbs - so at some point my time becomes worth more than the cost to let them get things straightened out OR tell me that something else is wrong and I am not just a dummy. I have been watching vids and trolling the boards for tips. I think I finally get what the limits and barrel adjustments all do - during the ride it was just a specific combination of gears that gave me fits. So I will see start there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I had to dial in my Goblin extensively - both the brakes and most of all the rear deraileur. I had no clue where to start or what to do. I also refused to have the lbs touch my bike because they are a bunch of arrogant a$$es. Anyway, I went right to YouTube to research the issues. A few hours later the problems were gone. Try it first before you pay someone else.
    Find a different LBS. As I mentioned in a different thread cost me $8.50 to have derailleur adjusted. Oh yes they also checked the torque on the stem, seat etc. Sure youtube is a help but for the money I got out and rode.

Do you have but one LBS in your area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Find a different LBS.
    Why?
    Since this is the "Out of the Box Assembly" thread I said "I had to dial in my Goblin extensively" ----- that is "out of the box and during assembly". Make sense now Jay?

And since I used use the word "had", it means it is already done. It also took me 20 minutes tops.

My post was for the OP and others that have troubles dialing in their bikes OUT OF THE BOX.

I don't need to find a different LBS.

I'm glad the LBS route went great for you, but some don't have a local LBS close to them or the time to take it there.

As for getting out and riding, ....LOL, if you look in my other posts I've been putting the Goblin through its paces. My modified Goblin that is. The one I modified myself... LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why?
    Since this is the "Out of the Box Assembly" thread I said "I had to dial in my Goblin extensively" ----- that is "out of the box and during assembly". Make sense now Jay?

And since I used use the word "had", it means it is already done. It also took me 20 minutes tops.

My post was for the OP and others that have troubles dialing in their bikes OUT OF THE BOX.

I don't need to find a different LBS.

I'm glad the LBS route went great for you, but some don't have a local LBS close to them or the time to take it there.

As for getting out and riding, ....LOL, if you look in my other posts I've been putting the Goblin through its paces. My modified Goblin that is. The one I modified myself... LOL
    O.K. Second post back to me with a bit of attitude. Bad marriage, money issues, erectile dysfunction ? What is the problem.

I simply suggested another LBS if the one you deal with has a bunch of
    "arrogant a$$es".

Not everyone wants to spend hours on you tube to learn the correct way to dial in the limit screws on the derailleur etc. Glald it worked for you. And i mean that sincerely !!

Glad you got it finished and are enjoying. Again simple suggestion to anybody on the board: if you are frustrated patronize your LBS. Of course use one that does not employ "arrogant a$$es".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    O.K. Second post back to me with a bit of attitude. Bad marriage, money issues, erectile dysfunction ? What is the problem.
    LOL, nope clearly not money issues, and my penis works just fine - not that old yet. As far as I know my marriage seems fine - but you never know these days, right?

Probably lack of sleep and the fact I'm working on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    LOL, nope clearly not money issues, and my penis works just fine - not that old yet. As far as I know my marriage seems fine - but you never know these days, right?

Probably lack of sleep and the fact I'm working on Sunday.
    Truce !! Understood. Just thought "we" had a problem. Which would be odd as we have never met. Glad your Goblin is working out for you.

Have a great day!!!!

Airborne Product Dude
    Yeah we do our best to get the bikes tuned and adjusted before packing them, but unfortunately shipping them around the country means on occasion things get knocked out of adjustment and need a slight tweaking.

We've done a few assembly videos that are up on our youtube page that are somewhat model-specific, but in general apply to most of our models.

We've went back and forth here about doing detailed assembly instructions to include with each model, but the problem we run into is what to include in it. We could do a one-sheeter that's a quick down and dirty one, but that doesn't cover everything that could possibly need attention. So then that morphs into doing a huge thick book that almost needs to be model-specific as the parts are all different per models; for example adjusting Tektro brakes is different than adjusting Elixir 9's. Our current included owners manual is the same BPSA owners manual that almost all of the major bike manufacturers are using now. Its a decent generic manual but certainly isn't part-specific.

Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread its not like putting together Ikea furniture; putting together a bike and troubleshooting issues sometimes requires mechanical aptitude that we can't impart in an assembly sheet.

We know that not everyone that buys a bike can work in it themselves, and that's where shops come in. If you have a decent shop near you, they should be happy to work on your bike when you need them to. It adds $$ to their bottom line and you will keep them in mind when you need something.

Anyway, glad to see you guys are up and running! give us a call or email if you need anything, thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Guys! I used to ride a ton in my younger days (and have the scars to prove it!). I decided to sell my old faithful and get back into riding, albeit much gentler this time around since I am older and have kids I am responsible for. I got the Skyhawk on Tuesday, put it together pretty quickly (maybe 20-30 minutes). I did not have a presta pump or adapter until yesterday, but quickly found the front brake rubbing and the shifter to be missing a gear or two. Since all this stuff has changed since my previous riding days, I plan to take it to an LBS to make sure it's all adjusted right. I like messing with stuff, except if a mistake may kill me (electricity, brakes on a car or bike, etc!!) Hope to get some decent weather to ride this weekend after the tweaks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahers View Post
    Hi Guys! I used to ride a ton in my younger days (and have the scars to prove it!). I decided to sell my old faithful and get back into riding, albeit much gentler this time around since I am older and have kids I am responsible for. I got the Skyhawk on Tuesday, put it together pretty quickly (maybe 20-30 minutes). I did not have a presta pump or adapter until yesterday, but quickly found the front brake rubbing and the shifter to be missing a gear or two. Since all this stuff has changed since my previous riding days, I plan to take it to an LBS to make sure it's all adjusted right. I like messing with stuff, except if a mistake may kill me (electricity, brakes on a car or bike, etc!!) Hope to get some decent weather to ride this weekend after the tweaks!
    You can fix those things yourself with a screwdriver and allen wrenches. I mean if you are interested and want to save some money that is.

Probably the easiest is the brakes. Loosen the mounts, squeeze your brake handles a few times, then tighten. This may take a few instances but its an easy fix.

For your deraileurs, watch some youtube vids and adjust with a screwdriver. You'll get it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Zerort,

I think I may give it a shot since I am off of work next week and it's supposed to rain so I won't do much riding. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I was able to fix the brakes (the rotors were not true), but for the life of me, I can't get the derailers right. Off to the LBS, unfortunately
    Last edited by mahers; 03-29-2013 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Zerort,

I think I may give it a shot since I am off of work next week and it's supposed to rain so I won't do much riding. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I was able to fix the brakes (the rotors were not true), but for the life of me, I can't get the derailers right. Off to the LBS, unfortunately
    I think I'm going to do the same. Without a bike stand, it's hard for my untrained eyes to see what's going on with the derailleurs. When upshifting (I think it was, maybe the other way around) the rear there is some hesitation from shift to shift, when downshifting it's smooth as butter. I've also got some brake rub going on, I did the "simple" adjustment several times and it improved, but it's not perfect.

I probably need to get acquainted with a LBS anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Out of the box Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    I think I'm going to do the same. Without a bike stand, it's hard for my untrained eyes to see what's going on with the derailleurs. When upshifting (I think it was, maybe the other way around) the rear there is some hesitation from shift to shift, when downshifting it's smooth as butter. I've also got some brake rub going on, I did the "simple" adjustment several times and it improved, but it's not perfect.

I probably need to get acquainted with a LBS anyway.
    I took it to REI and $30 later, it's perfect!

Sent from my RAZR MAXX via Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I took it to REI and $30 later, it's perfect!

Sent from my RAZR MAXX via Tapatalk 2
    Gld to hear you got it set up perfectly. At least u gave it a shot on your own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm going to order a shock pump tonight for my Goblin that should be here Friday. Are there any other tools I should get to put this big together?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: Out of the box Assembly

Metric allen wrenches. I think you only need 5 and 6 mm.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to share my experience...I am new to mountain biking and despite a little bit of uncertainty I decided to attempt tuning the bike myself. Even though it took me a couple of hours (including internet research/youtube videos) I finally had my Goblin assembled and shifting perfectly.

Anyway, I absolutely love the new bike and glad I decided to tune it myself because I am now much more familiar with the way things work in case it needs maintenance in the future.

After the initial setup, once you familiarize yourself with the way the Derailleurs work, future adjustments should be a breeze.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my bike today. From opening the box to ridding was less than an hour. I still plan to take the bike to my LBS and have them go over everything and adjust it before I head out on the trails. My peace of mind is worth $35.

What are the two rivet looking things in the plastic bag with what I assume are screws for the reflectors?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I got my bike today. From opening the box to ridding was less than an hour. I still plan to take the bike to my LBS and have them go over everything and adjust it before I head out on the trails. My peace of mind is worth $35.

What are the two rivet looking things in the plastic bag with what I assume are screws for the reflectors?
    I think those are spare butt ends that can be crimped onto the end of the derailleur cables? Thats what they look like to me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast