mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Ordering SKyhawk soon

I'm going to be ordering skyhawk soon, i tried to look up how much the bike weight but there was no where to be found. For those that have this model i have a few questions.
    -how heavy is it?
    -how durable?
    -1-10 how happy are you with the bike
    -how is grippy is the tires?
    - how long did it take for the bike to arrive.

I'm looking for more opinions you have on the bike. thank you in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ordered one 2 weeks back. I want to say its between 29 and 32 lbs. but i'm not sure. Its definetly durable components and frame wise, I was somehow unlucky to have a broken front derailleur shifter but that's being resolved as Eric from customer service is sending a replacement. I took it on to the trail on this past weekend and I was extremely impressed with the bike. For the price and part points its a 10. The tires are decent, very grippy but have a large amount of resistance that is included. It took 6 days for my bike to get here and 2 of those days were a weekend. Overall for a entry level bike this is the one to go to.

Cheaper than anything in the LBS and better equipped, My LBS wanted to sell me a 2012 specialized Hardrock SE for $400 and this bike comes with all shimano tourney parts and just isn't good parts wise. I did my research and stumbled apon Airborne which I am glad I did. Only positive reviews coming from me an i'm sure from plenty of others too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    wow i'm very excited. everything shift great? and smooth? i think i saw a similar post on a google search awhile ago about how they send someone a "bent" derailure

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There have been rare situations with bent front derailleur or rear derailleur hanger but doesn't happen so often. My rear cogs are easy to shift through and I do it with ease. My bike came in perfect condition from shipping. Not a scratch on the bike what so ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is one thing you need to know about bikes:

In the last year or two, quality has gone DOWN while prices have gone UP. The Skyhawk is a rare case where prices have gone down. Assuming the information I've researched is correct, it was priced at $400 plus $50 for shipping, so you are automatically getting $100 off the price of the bike since shipping is now free.

Honestly, if they have one in your size (check with Jeremy on correct sizing), I would get one as soon as you can, because its the steal of the internet. Compare the components of a $809 Trek 4300 to the Skyhawk:

4300 Disc - Trek Bicycle

Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

The bikes have the same fork. The Trek comes with Acera shifting, while the Skyhawk comes with X-4 shifting, which is as good or better than Acera. Both bikes come with hydraulic disc brakes, which is unheard of on bikes priced at $350! The Tektros that come on the Skyhawk are about as good as the Hayes that come on the Trek.

Framewise, I haven't ridden the Skyhawk, but from what I understand, its like a miniature version of the Guardian, which I was extremely impressed with. I've ordered bikes from other online companies, and my Guardian feels more stable than other bikes I have ordered, not to mention a Specialized Rockhopper that I test rode in the bike store.

A friend of mine had 2 of her bikes stolen recently, and to ease her pain, I ordered a bike for her. I've researched a crap load of bikes online, and the Skyhawk was an easy choice, and I'm very excited for her when it arrives. Don't worry about bent derailleurs or stuff like that, as it happens in shipping. What I can tell you is that the guys at Airborne will take care of you if something goes wrong.

Just for the record, I DON'T work for Airborne, but I was sold on their company after reading great things about them here at mtbr.com, and I was incredibly impressed with the quality of my Guardian. I think you will be quite happy when the Skyhawk arrives, but I'd order it as soon as possible before they run out. Just make sure to check with Jeremy on the correct size to get before ordering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you soooo much for the very detailed comparison, I'm so freaken excited. How can i get a hold of Jeremy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    Thank you soooo much for the very detailed comparison, I'm so freaken excited. How can i get a hold of Jeremy.
    You can pm him here or call Airborne - the number is posted on their website under the Contact Us page. I'm sure he will see this post and respond to it, so anyone who needs guidance on sizing can just post their height and inseam length here, which will help out others who come across this thread wondering what size to get.

Airborne Product Dude
    Feel free to give Eric a call here at 800-888-BIKE to work out sizing and chat with us~!

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The skyhawk weighs right about 32lbs, depending on the pedals you choose. There are some heavy components on it stock, which is to be expected for the price. Stick a nice fork and tires on it and drop 3lbs. My skyhawk weighs in at 27lbs with the original wheels. I like how stout the frame is and the fact it came with hyd disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I havent done the fork but I put the specialized captains from my old bike onto my Skyhawk. 32lbs is still hell of a weight considering its $350 .

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i'm very excited i just ordered it last night ))

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    i'm very excited i just ordered it last night ))
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Upload pics from before, during, and after the build.

Ride it, ride it, ride it!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Skyhawk arrived today. Its a really good looking bike! Oddly, I like the paint scheme better than my Guardian. I did everything tonight except for the derailleur adjustments, and will finish that part of it tomorrow. On that note, any tips on adjusting the X.4? I'm still pretty new to adjusting derailleurs, and I'm a little bit stumped on where to start with the X.4 since it doesn't have barrel adjusters on the derailleur itself. I suppose most of the adjustment is done through the shifters? I could also use some tips on adjusting the X.3 front derailleur, as I still have to adjust it on the Guardian as well.

By the way, tomorrow I will post the funniest pic of a Skyhawk you have EVER seen! Girls do strange things to their bikes!

mtbr member

Ordering SKyhawk soon

I would start with the barrel adjusters on the shifter first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is what happens when you introduce a Skyhawk into a girl's bedroom:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ordering SKyhawk soon-sspx0024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    This is what happens when you introduce a Skyhawk into a girl's bedroom:
    No way.. it doesn't even look like a bike, more like a fort. I think i'll stick to keeping mine in the garage lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    just for the record, getagrip had been hugging this bike and talking to it before this picture was taken.