mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Ordered the Evo tonight. Which platform do you guys recommend

Today was a good day. My Scott Scale is an awesome bike, but needed something for when I felt like having a little more fun on the trails. Just placed an order for the Goblin Evo and want to get a new set of platforms for it. I have researched all day and of course it is such a personal preference. I am looking at the VP-001 right now, but also considering the OR8-UL8, Raceface Aeffect, and of course MG-1s.

Trying to find the VPs in blue, but they are almost double the price on ebay compared to the orange, green, and gold. Thought about going gold or orange, but not sure how they would look with the Evo blue. Does anyone have experience with the above pedals. Most of the trails in NC have tons of roots and the trails I usually ride have some small jumps and drops so I try to hit them each ride. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have the Azonic 420 and Wellgo MG1. Both are great. Azonics come in blue on Amazon but are pricy. The best bang per buck is pry the MG1. I don't have complaints on either.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'm having good luck with the Deity Compounds, or similar plastic-bodied pedals with metal pins. HT, Fyxation and Nukeproof also make them.

They're light, resilient and offer great grip, especially if you wear 510s. I've been using them on my trail bike and DH bike, and my wife uses them on her Hobgoblin. The DH bike get the most abuse, and I think I've only knocked one pin out in over a year of thrashing them. The pair on my trail bike are still perfect, as are my wifes.

Mesa MP Platform Pedal with Replaceable Pins | Fyxation

deity ::: Compound Pedals - deity components

Nukeproof Electron Flat Pedals 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Either way, have fun on that bike!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I just installed a set of XPEDO XMX24MC's, and love how big the pedals are, how light they are, and how relatively inexpensive they are. Magnesium body, and slightly concave so you have a nice contact patch. MTBR give these pedals a high rating despite the cost!

Ordered the Evo tonight.  Which platform do you guys recommend-%24t2ec16h-ue9s3wegy-br9oj8-oeq%7E%7E60_57.jpg
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I'm having good luck with the Deity Compounds, or similar plastic-bodied pedals with metal pins. HT, Fyxation and Nukeproof also make them.

They're light, resilient and offer great grip, especially if you wear 510s. I've been using them on my trail bike and DH bike, and my wife uses them on her Hobgoblin. The DH bike get the most abuse, and I think I've only knocked one pin out in over a year of thrashing them. The pair on my trail bike are still perfect, as are my wifes.

Mesa MP Platform Pedal with Replaceable Pins | Fyxation

deity ::: Compound Pedals - deity components

Nukeproof Electron Flat Pedals 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Either way, have fun on that bike!
    All appear to be good choices with good prices. Good news is that I will order a set today and hopefully they will get here around the same time as the Evo. Don't really want to break out the Time ROCs because clipless was never as fun, but a few days can't hurt right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I just installed a set of XPEDO XMX24MC's, and love how big the pedals are, how light they are, and how relatively inexpensive they are. Magnesium body, and slightly concave so you have a nice contact patch. MTBR give these pedals a high rating despite the cost!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16h,!)UE9s3wEgy(BR9oj8!oeQ~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	963928
    I like those. What shoes do you wear with them to take advantage of the style of pins they have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    I have the Azonic 420 and Wellgo MG1. Both are great. Azonics come in blue on Amazon but are pricy. The best bang per buck is pry the MG1. I don't have complaints on either.
    Yeah the MG1s seem to be a great bang per buck. Probably pick up a set of them as well because they are cheap. Always good to have a few sets of pedals for when you just feel like doing something different that day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by groundball77 View Post
    I like those. What shoes do you wear with them to take advantage of the style of pins they have?
    I am a Van's junkie, and they grip quite nicely. Last weekends ride at Alien Run was a mess of clay and mud, but I had no issues of my feet slipping at all.

This pic is of the shoes, with the other set of Origin8 pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No matter what pedal you decide, WELCOME TO THE AIRBORNE FAMILY!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    No matter what pedal you decide, WELCOME TO THE AIRBORNE FAMILY!
    Thanks. I am looking forward to the shipping date and finally getting it. On a related note I think I am going to try the Deity Compounds out. I threw on my Time ROCs today and remembered why I changed to flats. Maybe it was just the fact that I have been riding flat for the past two years, but looking forward to breaking this bad boy in once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I use Canfield crampons on my seeker. I am extremely happy with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16h,!)UE9s3wEgy(BR9oj8!oeQ~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	963928

I went with these. Got em for like $50 too, found em online somewhere then price matched at Jenson or Competitive cyclist, can't remember which. I don't think there's another magnesium pedal with the same features that touches it at this price point. If money were no object, I'd have gone with Canfield Crampons.... but $50 vs $200 is a difference I can't ignore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    I went with these. Got em for like $50 too, found em online somewhere then price matched at Jenson or Competitive cyclist, can't remember which. I don't think there's another magnesium pedal with the same features that touches it at this price point. If money were no object, I'd have gone with Canfield Crampons.... but $50 vs $200 is a difference I can't ignore
    You won't be disappointed! Welcome to the family.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh yeah, I like em just fine. Haven't really had many slips in my 3 rides so far, if I did it was more rider error :P. Great pedal!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I really like my Saints. Super grip and I haven't installed pins on the outside yet. I did remove all the spacers though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MeyekulBayrd View Post

I really like my Saints. Super grip and I haven't installed pins on the outside yet. I did remove all the spacers though.
    Looking at the Saints as well. Do you know if they are any stickier than my older Shimana PD-MX30s? Still leaning toward the Deity Compounds, but part of me wants to try out the VPs. Honestly I am spending way too much time trying to decide on pedals.

The good news is my Evo shipped yesterday so hopefully it will not take too long to get to NC. Hoping that I can get a ride in this weekend when it actually gets above freezing and without rain for a few days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I wouldn't know if they grip better.

I got them on discount from my LBS but the last time I checked Chain Reaction had them for around $60.

I can say I've not had one slip. I wear a pair of old Etnie Cali cuts when I ride.

One thing I have noticed is pedal strikes. I've smacked a few things with them but they're tanks.

Congrats on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quick update. The bike came in today. I felt like a little kid waiting on Christmas morning to get here. Fed Ex usually shows up around 9:30 in the morning when I am conveniently not home, but today they decided 2:30 in the afternoon would be a better time.

So I got up this morning and had everything planned out to take advantage of the decent weather we had today and planned to get in at least 10 miles of trail. Had to cut that down obviously and did not get to set up tubeless and fine tune everything on the bike before I took it out. Not happy with Fed Ex, but at least I got the bike today instead of having to wait until Tuesday.

On a brighter note, the Evo is a beast of a bike. For starters the Mexico Blue looks very good in person. I am really digging the color of the bike. The bike feels lighter to me than my Scott Scale 29er. Maybe because I have WTB I23 wheels and not so light tires on the Scale, but either way the Evo feels lighter. It feels more playful and is easier to flick around the trail. I have to adjust the real derailleur a little and get the fork dialed in. The Revelation feels like a solid Fork and I am sure it will be even better once I get it set up correctly. This bike screams way more than the price tag on it. The Hayes Prime brakes are solid and they provide good stopping power. The wheels and hubs roll smooth. I liked my I23s, but these Chargers feel lighter and ultimately seem to flow on the trail better. The Ardents provided good traction, but did get a little squirrely on me a few times taking some corners with speed, but that was more of rider error and being accustomed to my old combo of XR4 front and Ground Control rear.

Bottom line is this Evo is a beast and I don't think there is a bike right now that can touch it considering the price point. If you are on the fence about the Evo versus one of the other slack 29ers out there, you will not go wrong by picking the Evo. I looked at the Stache 7 and 8, Fuel EX7 and 8. Those were nice bikes and would have been a good decision either way, but when you factor in the price difference it becomes an easy decision. Sure a full suspension would have been nice, but by picking up the Evo I can now wait until Airborne releases their new AM bikes and then I have an awesome stable of bikes in the garage instead of just a single bike from one of the big Three. Pretty much a win win for me. For the last point I want to commend the Customer service throughout the buying process and the guys at Airborne answered a number of questions for me.

Now just have to look forward to the release of the new Airborne models they are working on. I think something in 650B and carbon sounds good

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MeyekulBayrd View Post
    I wouldn't know if they grip better.

I got them on discount from my LBS but the last time I checked Chain Reaction had them for around $60.

I can say I've not had one slip. I wear a pair of old Etnie Cali cuts when I ride.

One thing I have noticed is pedal strikes. I've smacked a few things with them but they're tanks.

Congrats on the new ride.
    Appreciate the feedback. I have went back and forth on this pedal decision. Now I am leaning toward the DMR Vaults, Deitys and the Saints. Thinking the vaults would probably be a solid choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Your opinion and plans mirror my own. It really is a great bike. It's only downside is it doesn't have the brand name down the tube for all the brand-whores out there. After doing quite a bit of fine tuning and adjustments I'm more than happy with my decision to go to airborne. The evo is quite the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think the value and the geometry of the bike is the biggest thing to consider when looking for a new rig. Sure having LBS support is great and if I was still in San Antonio then awesome, but here in NC there are two bikes shops where I live. One is Trek and Cannondale. The other is Specialized and Felt. There is not much variety around here unless I feel like driving 1-2 hours and then it is still mostly the big three everyone sells.

I started on a Giant Revel and it was a great bike for that purpose. The LBS was good, but they were expensive as well. I then got the Scott from Sun and Ski in San Antonio (20% discount from them for being military) and they also provided pretty good support. Great bike as well, but more XC oriented.

This time around I was really wanting to look at some Kona's and Giant's, but those are hard to find. I just happened to check Airborne's site and the forums here and came across the Evo. It was perfect timing because I almost did get one of the Trek's this time around. I had a buddy with a Goblin back in SA and he loved it so that is why I always take a peek at Airborne's site and the forums here. I know my wife was much happier with the money saved, but she probably will not be happy once the 650b comes out.

So long story short I care more about what I am getting for my money. Kind of the reason I got a Nissan Titan instead of a Ford F-150. Same packages were about 6K cheaper on the Nissan. Plus the Evo looks good on the back of my Titan. I like being the guy outside the norm of everyone else.