Captain Climber

One reason I started with the SkyHawk (I already broke it)

I broke the hanger on it last night. While I'm learning and crashing I am glad I am not on one of the more expensive bikes. This hanger did its job well. Otherwise I'd be in need of a new derailleur, chain and wheel at least. Howerver, even though it is one of the least expensive of the Airborne XC bikes this is the one part it shares with the Gardian and Goblin so I'd be out the same money regardless. Now I have to wait til I can get another hanger to ride. Don't forget to stock up on extra hangers while they are in stock. Jeremy told me he just got a new shipment in today!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Let me guess. You ride hard. Really hard.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Let me guess. You ride hard. Really hard.
    Just like I stole it I have only had the bike for 2 weeks and have ridden the local single track here about 8 times already. I've been hitting it four times a week and want to get out there more.

Yesterday I was flying on my usual trails and decided to hit the advanced trail. I had been on it only once before and did ok on it. Yesterday I wanted to take it slow and check out the nuanses of it because there was not one person on the trails. I came around a sharp corner and there was this big 10 foot drop. I don't know what happened but my front tire caught on something. There is a large palm tree about halfway down and about halfway in the middle of the trail. I might have hit my front brake and all I remember is seeing my handlebars pointed straight like they should be but my front wheel started to turn (must not have tightened the head set good enough). I then went over the handlebars and rolled down the hill. Didn't even get a scratch because I rolled. Picked up the bike and straightened the handle bars and rode the advanced section one more time. Being a newbie, I didn't think to check things out more thoroughly. I did notice it was shifting funny. When I got back to the parking lot and slowed down I down shifted twice and the hanger must have already been bent so it sent the rear derailleur into the wheel and immediately snapped. I didn't have a spare so I guess I won't be riding this weekend

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks to you, the rest of us will order a backup derailleur hanger. LOL

Captain Climber
    LOL, I wish I had stocked up myself. I will now.

Hey, how do you remove this KMC chain? Since I can't ride I think I will remove the chain and clean it good. I'll also clean my chainrings and cogs really good. Think ill remove the cogs and get rid of that ugly plastic piece protecting the spokes too. Might have to take out the BB while at it and make sure no water or sand is in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I really hope my new Guardian didn't catch the crashing disease the Skyhawks have! You and Weaszel are certainly breaking your new rides in well!

While you have the down time, check ALL of the fasteners on your bike. Better to find something loose in the garage than to discover it on the trail! It took me close to an hour to assemble the Guardian - about fifteen minutes to unbox it and attach everything and then 45 minutes obsessively checking every single bolt and connection!

As far as taking the spoke protector off, if you are certain the limit screw will keep things out of the spokes it is far faster and easier to snip the plastic in two places and flex the protector off than it is to remove cogs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the reminder! Ordering one now. I don't see any hangers for the Sabre though, I'll need one of those too. Am I missing it? Jeremy? Jeremy?

*Disregard. Just ordered one for each bike from derailleurhangers.com.
    Last edited by bleedinblue; 04-19-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I must say this is a common topic lately. I have yet to have these problems with my bike and I have crashed. Only damage is scratches which there are quite a few of, but on the bright side you could have broken something more expensive instead of the hangar.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Product Dude
    Believe it or not, Spring is the most common time of the year for RD hanger breakage.

People are excited to get out and ride and sometimes get a little "enthusiastic" and end up off the trail. This is also the time of lot of folks are starting the hobby for the first time so the learning curve can be steep.

Additionally, there is usually a lot of deadfall on the trails from the winter, which is notoriously bad for RD's, hangers, and spokes. Many trails haven't had a trail day yet to clean-up the winter debris, work on drainage, etc, etc.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.