mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Niner E.M.B 9 Vs Airborne Guardian

So, I have had an old Trek hard-tail for the past couple years but its time for a new bike. I have a $600 budget so that limited my options a bit. I narrowed it down to the E.M.B 9 and the Guardian but i can't decide which one is a better bike/deal. What are your opinions or thoughts? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm confused, how does the Niner fit your budget?

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Yea $600 will buy you an e.m.d. 9 frame but not much else

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Niner EMD is $600 for just the frame. Airborne Guardian is $600 for a complete bike.

Just fyi... I have the airborne goblin and love the bike. The goblin and guardian share frames and the geometry is great. Good luck with whatever you buy.

mtbr member
    Maybe the Niner E.M.B. is their new frame; the Eat my Budget (vs Eat my Dust)?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    He asks a good question though. Consider that both the Airborne and Niner frames are probably made in the same class of factory in China or Taiwan, which is to say a factory that produces solid product, what are the differences? Marketing strategies by both companies spring chiefly to mind. Niner has spent years building cache' with pretty photographs of their wares on their website. Airborne's thing is the slightly cheaper than bike shop price on similar goods thing. But other than that, are those two frames all that different? Seriously, I don't know.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Well I can tell you with certainty (i have a goblin and my brother in law has an e.m.d. 9) that the niner frame weighs less than the airborne frame. The airborne frame is hydroformed and the niner is not.

As far as the factory where they are made, I know the airborne frame is Chinese... not sure about the niner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Well I can tell you with certainty (i have a goblin and my brother in law has an e.m.d. 9) that the niner frame weighs less than the airborne frame. The airborne frame is hydroformed and the niner is not.

As far as the factory where they are made, I know the airborne frame is Chinese... not sure about the niner
    Niner Al frames are hydroformed. Not sure if they always have been, but they most definitely are now.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Niner Al frames are hydroformed. Not sure if they always have been, but they most definitely are now.
    Hmmm did not know that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Hmmm did not know that. Thanks!
    This is new for the current "model", the new hydroformed EMD9 also has a tapered headtubeand they've raised the msrp by about $50. Last years model was standard tubing and standard 1 1/8" headtube. This makes for some great deals on the old frame, I got mine back in April for $329.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_K View Post
    This makes for some great deals on the old frame, I got mine back in April for $329.
    As did I. Love the Niner EMD with a 100mm Reba up front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I thought that the niner E.M.D 9 was a whole package but i guess its just the frame? So if thats the case then yeah, its out of my price range. Then the Airboren is the right choice?

Can you wrench on your own bike? If yes, then go for it! If not, but you want to learn, then go for it! If not, and you plan on using a LBS to do maintenance, then I'm not sure that its really cost effective (if your LBS offers free maintenance on new bikes purchased there).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Best choice new in your price range and today is the last for free shipping.
    They offer after purchase assistance with anything. There are youtube vids on derailleur adjusting so nothing is that complicated.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ai...rs-795105.html
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Big Boy
    Eat My Bust?!?
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!