Thread: Night rides....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Night rides....

Anyone on here ride at night.early in the morning? In the summer it was no big deal to go out at 5am for a quick lap before getting ready for the morning commute... Lately not so much. Picked up a light from my LBS last night and had a go on some very familiar trails this morning and have to say it was pretty awesome. So much different than the same trails mid day, and got yapped at by a coyote, but awesome nonetheless.... The mild North East Autumn also helped(shorts and a tshirt still.)

Night rides....-1395388_10152267594667542_1230194866_n.jpg

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by patnugent View Post
    Anyone on here ride at night.early in the morning? In the summer it was no big deal to go out at 5am for a quick lap before getting ready for the morning commute... Lately not so much. Picked up a light from my LBS last night and had a go on some very familiar trails this morning and have to say it was pretty awesome. So much different than the same trails mid day, and got yapped at by a coyote, but awesome nonetheless.... The mild North East Autumn also helped(shorts and a tshirt still.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1395388_10152267594667542_1230194866_n.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	839953
    Hey Pat, glad to see you got the bike together!

This is my favorite time of year for night rides. It makes a trail that you know by heart in the daylight, something totally new and different at nite. Both of our close local trails allow night riding, although they have a rule about not riding by yourself (which I tend to violate, shhhh).

Bike looks great!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What kind of light did you get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Jeremy, the bike is running awesomely and the orange/black combo looks pretty fierce. Our trails are technically closed at night, but there is a good amount of people who ride them at night and never run into problems. There's a heavy crew that goes out on Wednesday nights, but I have a hard time getting out after I get home due to a 15 month old girl, so I found the best thing to do is just wake up before my wife and daughter and get out early.

The light is a Niterider Lumina 700, one light, helmet mounted, can see the advantage of also having one on my bars but probably won't get a second light.

mtbr member
    I love the night rides! BDF is right it makes a familiar trail seem new. The trails we ride are one way, but sometimes we'll do them in reverse later at night since there tends to be no one else out at that time(the trailhead parking lot is empty) I use a magic shine which is pretty cheap and puts out plenty of light it's on my bars as a flood. The $ per lumen is great. I can't really justify paying more. I also use a spot on my noggin which works out well. Night rides rock! We just did Copperharbortrails, the first night out we did stairway to heaven uphill in the dark with the bridges wet. Seriously made me pucker... Loved every minute

Airborne Flight Crew
    Just did a night ride two nights ago. About a 9 mile downhill-ish AM romp through some of the chunkiest we have locally, and yes, the dark makes it a whole new trail. Nothing like it, especially when the full-ish moon is rising and helping to light it up too.

I've been using the "bootleg" magic shines all season (two - one of the bar, one helmet mount) and really can't imagine throwing more lumens.

And it is a great time of year for it, super chilly at the beginning, and shedding layers halfway through. Plus, always feels faster at night

Quick vid from a ride earlier in the season, before I had my magichines. The two lights on my bar are nightriders, and throw a lot more light that it looks like, the go pro sort of cuts out the gradation from light to dark. Also, didn't have the helmet mount this time. Hobgoblin got the job done, btw

night from J Hazard on Vimeo.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Light freak

Good Stuff

I love riding my bike in the dark

Airborne Flight Crew
    Nice riding/video Jay! what a blast.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member

Night rides....

I would love to ride at night, but the higher ups wouldn't be too happy when they find out I left work to do so!