mtbr member

New Taka - anyone have pics or info?

A month or so back I found some pics of the new Taka in testing (seemed very similar to the Transition TR-450). I can't seem to find that info anymore though. Any know where there is more info on this new version?

Airborne Product Dude
    That's actually not the new Taka. It's something else entirely.

We are working on a couple of DH projects for 2013, which include two different frames.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep...That is the Toxin. DH version should be similar in design. The new ''Taka'' seems to be a closely guarded secret.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc View Post
    Yep...That is the Toxin. DH version should be similar in design. The new ''Taka'' seems to be a closely guarded secret.
    Nope, that's not the Toxin either.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Soooo.... do you have any info? I'm actually considering the TR250 as a potential "next" frame, so if the geo on this new bike is similar and it comes out cheaper, I may opt for this instead. When is the press launch?

Airborne Product Dude
    The two new DH models aren't due out until Spring sometime at the earliest. We don't have any additional info to give at this time, sorry.

The 7" travel Toxin freeride bike is due to be released in March, which would compete with the TR250 since the 250 is a 7" and the 450 is the 8". More info on that will be released as we get closer to then.

We wanted to release the Toxin earlier but have been delayed due to a few issues beyond our control, mostly related to supply problems.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    This and the Toxin are looking good. Would love to see the leverage curves

Hope it all gets done right so its easy to maintain by a home mechanic. Please don't skimp on cheap bolts and bearings. Also, maint docs for these models with a parts schematic and torque specs would be awesome. I have long favored brands that empower their customers with self help info.

mtbr member
    This looks low and slack- nice/impressed:
    Trevor GAY @ 2012 Gravity East Series #4, Swain Resort, NY - Roots & Rain

Now if we can only make sure its in a price point that keeps it more affordable and within a reasonable reach for us mere mortals.

edit: Pathogen?

mtbr member
    Airborne- new pics/updates com'n guys we be waiting.

Airborne Product Dude
    Guys, unfortunately at this time we don't have anything to give you yet in terms of Taka updates. The Taka is still in development at the moment, and the Toxin (7" bike) is due to go to production sometime next month.

The line-up as planned is this:

Pathogen: High end DH frameset
    Taka: complete 8" DH bike (based on different frame from Pathogen)
    Toxin: complete 7" park bike (similar to Taka frame but designed for 7" travel)

We've leaked photos of Caroline Buchanan and her Airborne Pathogen prototype recently in the past week. That will debut sooner than the Taka and will be sold as a frameset complete with shock, headset, and extra springs. It's the flagship model in our DH line-up so it won't be as low-priced as the Taka was, but still less than competitors out there like Transition and other folks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Taka - anyone have pics or info?-carobikebuild.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    God I love that orange.. nice work guys (And DH Gal)!

mtbr member
    Awesome

mtbr member
    Is the new Taka going to be available in a frameset as well??

Airborne Product Dude
    Right now the plan is to only offer a frameset in the Pathogen higher end model and sell the new Taka as a complete bike only.

That may change though over time, you never know. A lot depends on demand.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Big Daddy,
    Not trying to Flame or Troll. Just stating a simple observation asking an obvious question (both which have probably already been asked somewhere else and will be repeated 100's more times when the Pathogen does get released and gets more forum and media attention).

The frame looks striking similar to the Transition Tr-450 and Tr-250. Granted both are just linkage actuated single pivots, so hard to scream design rip-off (but styling is very similar and it is going to be called out). The Toxin looks to run the same suspension, but triangle style looks different enough that it wont draw this same attention.

What differentiates the Pathogen from the Transition frames? If you can't go into detail now I understand, but please be prepared to address at release time. (I predict plenty of Transition supporters will cry foul).

I'm still on the fence as to whether I think this frame is a "clone" or not. If in the end I feel it is, I would have to buy the Transition because they put in the initial R&D.

I am interested in this and your other upcoming bikes. Don't want to see your progress as a brand get damaged for selling a "clone".

Thanks

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    Big Daddy,
    Not trying to Flame or Troll. Just stating a simple observation asking an obvious question (both which have probably already been asked somewhere else and will be repeated 100's more times when the Pathogen does get released and gets more forum and media attention).

The frame looks striking similar to the Transition Tr-450 and Tr-250. Granted both are just linkage actuated single pivots, so hard to scream design rip-off (but styling is very similar and it is going to be called out). The Toxin looks to run the same suspension, but triangle style looks different enough that it wont draw this same attention.

What differentiates the Pathogen from the Transition frames? If you can't go into detail now I understand, but please be prepared to address at release time. (I predict plenty of Transition supporters will cry foul).

Thanks for your post.

At first glance you may think that but take a good look at this compared to a TR450. The only similarities are using a linkage actuated single-pivot (which is very common as you said) and the curved vertical supports on either side of the shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Taka - anyone have pics or info?-airborne_caroline_banner.jpg  

New Taka - anyone have pics or info?-tr450.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response, I really appreciate that you guys are on these boards.

I know this is a hard one(and a lot of semantics). When scaled back, most all hardtails use triangles - someone started that trend. Same could be said for curvy instead of straight seat stays.

So looks aside, there are other similarities that I see:
    - The actual linkage
    - Shock placement
    - Main pivot location
    - Linkage pivot location (on both the front and rear triangle)
    - Shock length and stroke may be the same

Only Difference I see is that your top tube sweeps up to eliminate the additional seat tube gusset transition uses.

What I'm curious about is the the real dirt and how it is different
    - Geometry
    - Suspension curve
    - Travel
    - Shock length and stroke

As your still in the prototype phase, I can understand if these are not be ready for release yet. But this is more what I am looking for to differentiate these bikes.

Thanks again for the response.

Airborne Product Dude
    No worries~

I can't go into too much detail, but a loser look will show a host of other differences other than just the top tube.

Without discussing geometries and other yet-to-be "official" items:

Downtube is different shape and size.

Rear triangle is completely different design.

Drop-outs are completely different.

A lot of things are hard to see in the few photos we have out there. That's about all I can say for now.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the responses.

Looking forward to the release and the specifics.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see the price point on this compared to the Transition. Love that orange. Hopefully I can afford it.