mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Idea! New Seeker Has Arrived

Thought I would keep all my Seeker stuff in one thread. Airborne order #5163 --18" Seeker

Ordered Wednesday 11/20, shipped Friday 11/22, arrived Monday 11/26

Have to spend the afternoon in the office, but will try to post info and photos as needed. This is my first mail-order bike, been riding and racing since banana seats (Huffy Bandit to Giant full carbon roadie).

Box is in acceptable shape, with a couple of push-throughs and big dig/scrapes so things should be ok. Will unbox and assemble soon.

New Seeker Has Arrived-photo-1-.jpg

Si vales, valeo.
    Looking forward to see it! I just recently ordered my wife an Airborne bike as well, (at a fantastic price too, I might add!)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Nice! I would be grinning ear to ear seeing that at my door!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    will post pics later. put it together in a snap. paint job is really really amazing. love the colors and matte finish. exactly what I would go for from a "looks" perspective. little packaging bits pretty good. might have gone with the next size down if I had a chance to compare in person - standover was pretty tight. like I said, this bike certainly passes the eye test in person. wow. even better than the pics -- you have to see it "live".

Both D's need adjustment, and the rear brake rubs a bit, so I'll adjust that too. front brake seems to engage a little late. not a fan of hydraulic brakes, so i hope this isnt the start of any issues.

added air to tires and fork, added my old ergon grips and open clip pedals. no manual for brakes but one for the fork and the bike overall.

will do a turkey day test after adjustments and report back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Congratulations!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Congrats! Great Choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    As promised, pics of the box damage (no bike damage, however!), unassembled seeker out of box, and assembled seeker. Also added a pic of the nice clean rear cassette, because, we all know it will never be that clean ever again.

Going for a short ride and will start to get it dialed in over the long weekend. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks to all the Airborne folks as well as all the members here who helped me make an informed purchase.

New Seeker Has Arrived-photo-2.jpgNew Seeker Has Arrived-photo.jpgNew Seeker Has Arrived-photo-3.jpgNew Seeker Has Arrived-photo-2-.jpg
    Last edited by BodyLinksystems; 11-29-2013 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well Rear Cassette Wobble

So other than being shocked that the Avid Elixir pads are being held in with a cotter pin (!) and still finding some rubbing on the rear disc, I see that my rear cassette has a wobble while spinning freely.

Wheel looks straight and true, is firmly seated and clamped and there is no play when wheel is off --but this in combination with the rear disc rubbing a bit tells me something might be up. Looking at the other 4 bikes in my quiver I see zero rear cassette wobble from them, so it looks like I'm going to have to contact Airborne to get this resolved. Kinda bummed.

Last edited by BodyLinksystems; 11-28-2013 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added video

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cassette Wobble
    Cassette wobble | Bicycling Magazine Forums

There is some debate on this but i feel its perfectly normal. Every bike i have owned has this weather it was a Shimano hub or the Quando hubs in my Guardian and Goblin.

Airborne Product Dude
    Brake disc rub is not unusual and can be adjusted out. Some cassette wobble is also not unusual.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Brake disc rub is not unusual and can be adjusted out. Some cassette wobble is also not unusual.
    I'm only concerned with the brake rub insofar as it is synchronized to the cassette wobble. Not a single one of my other bikes has this wobble, so I do see it as as issue.

Airborne Product Dude
    Like I stated before, it's not unusual. I watched the video before I responded and I've seen worse "wobble" on much higher end hubs/cassettes. I doesn't affect shifting and its not truly "synchronized" as you may think; this is coincidental.

I advise that you tune the rear brake to center the caliper over the rotor and check to ensure the rotor is straight and true. This will eliminate the rub.

This is what we would advise if you would have contacted us directly.

Thanks so much,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

I hope nothing else is wrong.

Appreciate the responses, but I've been building up and wrenching on my own bikes for a long time and I'm not satisfied with the wobble. Despite there being some discussion about it being "no big deal", it's always "no big deal" when it's happening to someone else and they already paid for the product.

I've experienced clients who will never be happy no matter what you do for them, however I have never been one of those customers. I do however, take exception to being told the bike shop equivalent of "you need to restart your modem".

I'm lucky enough to have 5 bikes in my home. If Airborne is OK with the only one that wobbles being an Airborne, then that is that.

Airborne Product Dude
    With bikes like mtb's that have large gear clusters, its easier to notice than on a small gear cluster like that on a road bike. I have aa small bit of the same thing on my Crossmax wheelset on one of my own rigs.

We want everyone to be happy with their purchase. So please box the bike up and contact us on Monday for a refund. We'd be happy to arrange a call-tag.

You can reach us directly at 800-888-BIKE or support@airbornebicycles.com.

Regards,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Even my Black Flag Pros have a little of that as did the original Quantas (more of it) but it never seemed to affect shifting in any way. My old 26er MTBs show much less of it because the cassettes are so small that any movement is minimized. My recollection is that a Friend's Niner with Shimano cassette on an x9 hub has movement too. Most of the stuff I've read and seen says that most cassettes wobble to one degree or another...even some extremely expensive ones.

But to minimize it somewhat, you could go higher end for the wheelset. Still, at this price point, to even get a decent quality sealed bearing hub like the Quantas is flat amazing. Take a look at the Rockhopper 29 if you want to see what you normally get at/near this price point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorry for the off topic post but i noticed the bike pictured here came with the same saddle as the Goblins (Power Ponza) but the website says SPID in the specs

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenkeep View Post
    Sorry for the off topic post but i noticed the bike pictured here came with the same saddle as the Goblins (Power Ponza) but the website says SPID in the specs
    I noticed that too. In fact, even the Seeker pictured on Airborne's site shows the Ponza Power as well.

Call it a free upgrade?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also sorry you're not happy with your seeker.

I have a tiny bit of wobble - asked my mechanic about it when I first got the bike and he showed me 3 of the 6 or 7 Niners on the showroom floor with various wheelsets and two stock Fuji's that also had it, so I checked all 3 road bikes and my 26" MTB and, sure enough, all have some degree of wobble, all run fine. He compared it to manufacturing tolerances with replaceable der. Hangers. He said every single new bike he builds up has to be visited by the hanger tool in order to get it shifting perfectly. Normally I'd question that, but as well as my bikes run since starting to use him, I trust what he says.

Again, sorry you don't like your Seeker. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Listen!

Just to close the sequence: I like the Seeker. On top of which, I think it is the best LOOKING bike I have ever seen.

On the customer service side: I would have preferred to been offered a replacement rear wheel versus "send it back for a refund", but I never explicitly asked for a wheel or anything else for that matter. That's on me.

I waited 4 years to get a MTB and truly loved my previous MTB (stolen).

Been stuck on an uptight carbon road bike and city commuter bikes for all this time.

I am particular about all my gear, and take excellent care of it myself.

No matter what bike it is, I buy them to ride, not to show.

All in all, I think the rig will serve me well once I get used to the larger feel of a 29er. I'm also optimistic that if there is a problem with the rear wheel internals, or if there is any other major problem within the warranty period, Airborne will be there with great service.

Enjoy your rides.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Re: New Seeker Has Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by BodyLinksystems View Post
    I'm also optimistic that if there is a problem with the rear wheel internals, or if there is any other major problem within the warranty period, Airborne will be there with great service.

Enjoy your rides.
    I can attest to this. They WILL take care of you in the event of a failure. And, just as a word of advice, emailing/calling gives you a direct connection, even if its just to ask a question like "is it normal to have some wobble but no play in the cassette." Both Jeremy and Eric are knowledgeable mechanics. Also, after seeing my hub apart, everything was straight and true with virtually no wear on the bearing or race despite the wobble and just about 200 miles of mostly semi technical climbing.

Ride the snot out of it.
    Eric