Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Smile New Guardian! And some questions...

I just got my Guardian today and assembly is complete. I already love this bike! I started back into MTB after 20 years off a bike - my return bike was a Mongoose Deception (just to see if I would stick with riding) and after finally saving up my pennies I ordered the Guardian. Love the build quality, the feel, and the price!

I do have two questions. I don't know if my Google skills are lacking but I can't find answers. If the answers have been covered or are easy to find, feel free to point and laugh!lol

The Rockshox fork squeaks on compression. The sound seems like it is possibly the coil moving against the tube as opposed to the upper seals/wipers making the noise. Is this a 'break-in" thing that will heal itself or do I need to apply some grease to the coil, or what?

Is the spring easily replaceable and are parts available - I push the weight limit for the fork (alright, I blow the limit away!). I think a stiffer spring would help until I can upgrade the fork. I will have to make do with the XC28 TK Mg29 for quite a while before I can upgrade the fork.

Overall I am extremely happy with my Guardian purchase! Great deal and great support. The only thing I would improve is the delivery time - the seven days it took for FedEx to bring me the bike took FOREVER! How can I be expected to be patient for so long! Maybe Airborne can create a teleportation device so that my bike would just materialize here at the house!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No answers to your questions. Just wanted to say congrats! 29ers are awesome and getting a new bike is always a good thing.

Ride it lots.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I answered one of my questions during today's maiden ride - the squeak in the fork went away somewhere around mile 4.

Had a good ride on the new Guardian! A buddy and I rode about twelve miles this afternoon and hit a good mix of singletrack, some short downhills, and a relaxed loop of fire road. I'm worn out but the bike did great!

mtbr member
    this may not be the wisest or safest advice, but knowing that the Guardian is a good entry level bike and if you plan on becoming a better rider, you'll know that you'd most likely get a new bike rather than just upgrade the parts on your Guardian (some may disagree and say that upgrading the guardian is the way to go).

Having said that, I treat my bike and maintain it well, but at the same time, I ride the hell out of it because I'm not worried about parts breaking or me screwing up the bike. I guess that says the bike can definitely handle a good amount of stress. Don't worry about little squeaks or sounds; if the brakes work and nothing is falling apart, then you're good to go! no stress whatsoever.

f
    Apr 2013
    I can't imagine why I would need to upgrade to a new bike after becoming a better rider-- I don't plan on racing or getting really serious and I feel the bike is more than enough for anyone to ride as a hobby. I just plan on replacing parts as they break..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by abouthil View Post
    I can't imagine why I would need to upgrade to a new bike after becoming a better rider-- I don't plan on racing or getting really serious and I feel the bike is more than enough for anyone to ride as a hobby. I just plan on replacing parts as they break..
    With a bike the level of the Guardian that is totally reasonable. It's an upper-end entry level bike (If that makes sense) or arguably an intermediate/middle of the road bike. Most of us aren't going to religiously hit the trails two or three times a week like many people here do or claim to do. Life tends to get in the way. For the majority of us, who will end up riding 3-5'ish trips a month, a bike like the Guardian would be perfectly suitable.

Me...I just bought a Skyhawk to see if this sport hits the spot. If it does, I'll upgrade to a Goblin next year and upgrade as things break, but a Goblin should last me a very long time. If I end up riding a couple times a month and that's it, the Skyhawk will do just fine.

I guess I'm just saying that there are many opinions here, and for every opinion there is a different skill/loyalty level to this sport. If mountain biking is a huge part of your life, spend a couple grand on a bike. If it's nothing more than a weekend hobby, spend accordingly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    I couldnt agree more...it seems like a lot of people (including myself) are guilty at times of unnecessary upgrading. I understand that some people will eventually build their experience and skill level to require such upgrades but for the recreational rider the Guardian is more than enough.

disclaimer: I ended up going with the Goblin (told ya i was guilty)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Trust me, after riding the Mongoose Deception for an entire year, the Guardian is a huge upgrade for me. I ride two times a week, so I suffered through quite a few problems on that POS 29er. I do respect the 'Goose for being cheap enough and reasonably capable enough for me to determine if I would stick with riding.
    I had a few must haves when I was shopping for a new ride - had to have hydros, a fork that actually cycled (the Deception's fork locked up rather quickly so I was riding rigid front and rear for about ten months!), and it had to have a drivetrain that worked. When I found the Guardian I was actually thinking it was too good to be true, but after reading a lot of reviews, and looking at a lot of photos, I decided it was the best bang for my buck. I know I've only ridden a bit on the Guardian so far, but it really is a dream to ride it after the headache of the 'Goose.
    Would I like a lighter wheelset, a super compliant fork, and top of the line brakes? Sure, but as posts above pointed out, my skills really can't make the best use of top of the line components.
    I'll ride the Guardian as hard as I can for as long as I can, and upgrade to flashier bits as I can, but I'm EXTREMELY happy with the bike I got for $600!

Airborne Product Dude
    That's the kind of stuff we love to hear, thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Resident Gear Head
    To the OP, my thoughts exactly
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just wanted to update this post- I LOVE my Airborne Guardian! I've put about 140 miles on it since getting it three weeks ago and I've yet to find any fault with it! The brakes continue to impress me each ride and the joy of riding a bike that works well is a great thing!
    I enjoy having a bike that you don't see too often on the trails. I've heard many a positive comment from other riders who don't know about Airborne and I make sure to tell them about Airborne's quality and service. I doubt the guy I talked to yesterday is going to trade in his super sweet Niner, but maybe he'll pass on the Airborne name to a friend or two that might be looking for a new ride!
    I need to get (or make) some Airborne decals for the car to help spread the word!
    Thank you to everyone at Airborne for your dedication to service and quality and making it possible for riders like me to buy a good product at a reasonable price!

Airborne Product Dude
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm glad you like your bike! Shoot me a private message with your mailing address and we'll send out some decals.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    My truck is plastered with Airborne propaganda.!

MTB Fanatic
    Glad you are loving your Guardian. Man, we need a Guardian fan club or something! I am one of those freaks who rides their Guardian 5-6 times a week for 3-4 hours each time. I just can't get enough, and I usually don't stop until my body begs me to.

About the squeaking: My Guardian fork squeaked a little when I first got it and it went away. My cranks squeak from time to time, but go away after a few minutes. It's just got a lot of moving parts.

At the moment, I'm trying to decide whether I should:

A) Save up for a Goblin XO
    B) Upgrade parts on my Guardian and then eventually transfer them to the silver Goblin frame.

Decisions, decisions...
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Glad you are loving your Guardian. Man, we need a Guardian fan club or something! I am one of those freaks who rides their Guardian 5-6 times a week for 3-4 hours each time. I just can't get enough, and I usually don't stop until my body begs me to.

About the squeaking: My Guardian fork squeaked a little when I first got it and it went away. My cranks squeak from time to time, but go away after a few minutes. It's just got a lot of moving parts.

B) Upgrade parts on my Guardian and then eventually transfer them to the silver Goblin frame.

Decisions, decisions...
    I have been on my Goblin XO for a month or 2. Save for the Goblin. You will love it.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post

Decisions, decisions...
    AWESOME! I love to read posts like these. We like to sell bikes but my real reward is hearing from people how much they like their bikes.

I think Option A makes the most sense from a fiscal standpoint, as the cost of a complete Goblin XO is cheaper than purchasing all of the parts separately, plus there's the whole tapered fork thing that couldn't be done with the Guardian frame. But a lot of the fun of this hobby is buying new parts and tinkering on your bike, so Option B isn't a bad option by any means.....

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm going with Option C - Put many, many miles on the Guardian while wearing a big, silly grin on my face!

MTB Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by h8pavmt View Post
    I'm going with Option C - Put many, many miles on the Guardian while wearing a big, silly grin on my face!
    I'm still doing that. My front teeth often get that sun-bleached look cause I'm out grinning like an insane clown or rabid animal all day long on my bike.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    I love option C, have been doing it every chance I get! The Guardian put a smile on my face this morning. What a great bike!

New Guardian! And some questions...-img_0367.jpg-2-800x595-.jpgNew Guardian! And some questions...-img_0372.jpg-2-800x598-.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks great!!

MTB Fanatic
    Nice, those are some good shots.

I had a great ride tonight as well. I used my manners and avoided jumping into a creek while a lady was trying to hike a bike across it. She appreciated me not getting her soaking wet and muddy. My Guardian was not so lucky, heheh.

I also had an OTB crash tonight, but I landed in some tall grass 8 feet away. How fast was I going, anyway? It was actually pretty funny. I wish I had video of it.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I am normally off of work mid week so I have had the trails mostly to myself. I saw one group of people out hiking yesterday, thats it. I have to be really careful not to hit anyone, the trails are tight and the woods are thick. You can't see around the next corner.

I have yet to go OTB, but I'm sure it is coming. I did lay mine over in a sand bed yesterday. Tight turn with deep sand after a quick downhill and the front end washed out.

Are you still running the SB8's? What pressures are you running? I have been running them at 35 psi which is the minimum recommended pressure and it seems way to high.
    I am going back out tomorrow and I will try 28 front/30 rear and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Looks great!!
    Thanks Mitch!

mtbr member
    Glad you like your new bike. I'll be ordering the guardian in a day or 2. Waiting on some funds to transfer. Pretty excited to get back into riding. :-)

MTB Fanatic
    The lowest I would run those SB8's with tubes in them would be 28/30. Anything lower than that, and you run a much higher risk of pinch flats. I actually got a pinch flat running 30 one time and that was the last straw to motivate me to go tubeless.
    Nathan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast