mtbr member
    Jan 2013

New Goblin Rim Width

Can someone confirm this? Not sure if the stock WTB rims are the XC (24.5), or all mountain (26.9) width.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Airborne Product Dude
    24.5mm XC width.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have an original Goblin and had a wheel question. I'm looking to do something different with the stock wheels. Have about 2K miles on them, and aside from broken spokes frequently in the back, everything else has held up. I have them set up tubeless. Anyway, I'm @ 260lbs. I see a lot of you guys are running the Black Flags. I found a deal on some Black Flag comps, and also a deal on Charger Pros. My question is, how much of an upgrade are we talking here in either one? Is it worth it, and will they hold up? I don't want to purchase new wheels and just tear up the new ones. The older ones are still going strong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: New Goblin Rim Width

I would imagine there would be a weight savings for sure. I can't comment on the black flags durability but have heard nothing but good things about them. How good of a deal are they?

What method did you use to set up your stock wheels tubeless? Stock non ust tires as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FullsizeMike View Post
    I have an original Goblin and had a wheel question. I'm looking to do something different with the stock wheels. Have about 2K miles on them, and aside from broken spokes frequently in the back, everything else has held up. I have them set up tubeless. Anyway, I'm @ 260lbs. I see a lot of you guys are running the Black Flags. I found a deal on some Black Flag comps, and also a deal on Charger Pros. My question is, how much of an upgrade are we talking here in either one? Is it worth it, and will they hold up? I don't want to purchase new wheels and just tear up the new ones. The older ones are still going strong.
    Mike:

I received a Goblin XO 2 weeks ago. They came with the Black Flag Pro rims. I weight in at 250 and converted to Stn's a few days ago. I had concerns about the duribility for my size. I have been in rock gardens, small drops (less than 2 feet) rootsetc and no issues.

I suppose it depends on your riding style. On my FS bike I pretty much stay seated and just barge through stuff. On the Goblin I am more aware for 2 reasons firstly it's a hardtail and at 59 I don't bend like I used to. Secondly, having been made aware of the more race oriented (less sturdy) construction of the Black Flags I am unweighting in the tech stuff so as to not destroy the rims.

So far so good. If you go for the Black Flags Pro just be aware.

Maybe Jeremy (BDF) can chime in on this one.

I believe the Charger are beefier wheelsets.

Hope this helps.

DJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride Charger Pros on my Guardian and they are a great wheelset. Only a little heavier than Black Flag Pros, I think they are about the same weight as Black Flag experts, and are about $25 cheaper. I've been riding them since I was about 250#, plenty of rock gardens, small drops and a few jumps, never needed truing. I'm buying another set for my current build. So far Sun Ringle's customer service has been great too. They sent me part numbers for extra spokes, and my LBS had no problems getting them.
    Black Flag Comp (1975 grams)
    Charger Pro (1840 grams)
    Last edited by swildnm; 03-14-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added weight info

Airborne Product Dude
    I've been riding both Black Flag Pro's and Charger Experts. The Chargers have a wider rim and beefier hubs, and I believe the spokes are thicker.

The Chargers are a little heavier, but I haven't noticed it in reality when riding.

The one thing I do notice is that the Chargers are WAY stiffer and don't have any sort of flex in hard cornering and track very well. The BFP's are stiff wheels in their own right, but the Chargers are more-so.

I like both sets and don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. If I had to chose between Blag Flag Comps and Charger Pro's, I personally would probably give the slight nod to the Charger Pros in this situation.

We are going to be using the Chargers on a bike we will be releasing in the fall.........

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We are going to be using the Chargers on a bike we will be releasing in the fall.........
    You big tease!

Airborne Product Dude

Some people have seen it already.....
    Airborne Dude.

TXTony
    Hmmmmm...my Chargers are slung on an All Mountain rig...so makes one wonder what is in store for the fall...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I would imagine there would be a weight savings for sure. I can't comment on the black flags durability but have heard nothing but good things about them. How good of a deal are they?

What method did you use to set up your stock wheels tubeless? Stock non ust tires as well?

Trevor, I just used Gorilla Tape. Works like a champ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So does anyone know what the original Goblin wheels weigh?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

What brand/model are they?

mtbr member

New Goblin Rim Width

Quote Originally Posted by FullsizeMike View Post
    So does anyone know what the original Goblin wheels weigh?
    I have a set but I don't have a scale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    wtb laserdisc trail 29 with the quanta hubs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I didnt see the same hubs as I have listed there. Just trying to see if I would save much weight on the Charger Expert vs the stock. Someone said they thought they were 2200-2400 range. The Charger experts look to be just over 2000. I am interested to try this whole rotating mass theory I hear so much about and see if I can tell.

Airborne Product Dude
    I hesitate to weigh and post stock OE parts weights on bikes, as weights vary sometimes and I don't want to get caught up in weight discrepancy battles.

That being said, the stock Goblin wheelset we have here in the office weighs 2404 grams. That's with rim-strips, no skewers, no cassette, and no rotors.

Your results may vary slightly but that gives you a general good idea.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I hesitate to weight and post stock OE parts weights on bikes, as weights vary sometimes and I don't want to get caught up in weight discrepancy battles.

That being said, the stock Goblin wheelset we have here in the office weighs 2404 grams. That's with rim-strips, no skewers, no cassette, and no rotors.

Your results may vary slightly but that gives you a general good idea.

Thanks,

Jeremy

My Man. I was waiting on you! Thanks. I already ordered the Chargers, so I was just more curious than anything. I needed to get something. My stock hubs have started to "stick" a little here and there. I have almost 2k miles on them and when I got the bike I was 290lbs. They held up very well. Better than I thought they would. I plan on being less weight-wise in the next few months, but I'll still be 220lbs or so. That's why I was really thinking of the Black Flags too. Around here in the Dallas area, the trails are mostly XC. Not really extreme by any means. I'm a cat-like 260 too

Airborne Product Dude
    Great, glad I could help. You're saving 400ish grams with the chargers and you'll definitely notice that. Plus the chargers will be much stiffer, so the bike will corner like its on rails.

I've been digging mine so far.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ok so I got the Sun Ringle Charger Experts in. Rode it yesterday, and although it wasn't night and day difference, I could tell. Hell, the fact that they rolled smooth probably played a big as part as any. I didn't realize how bad the other hub had gotten. It was really catching. So, I was fast on them for me. They are stiff, and I like the straight pull spokes. Hopefully they will last. If there is a comparison of the hubs that these have in relation to some of the bigger names, I'd like to know. IE, are they the equivilent to say, Hope Pro or another? I think I read somewhere that they have 24 POE. I'm sure thats more than the stock hubs.