mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New Goblin - Head Tube Angle

For those that are riding the goblin, how do you find the 71.5 degree HTA? I realize this is a CC oriented bike, but trying to determine how it will function as a HT trail bike (not AM).

For instance, one bike I would compare this to is the Trek Superfly AL. That bike has a 69.5 degree head tube.

For those that have ridden both, can you feel the difference? How do they compare when encountering roots/rocks/etc.?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    One other thing I just noticed. The angle listed in the geo specs for last years and this years are the same...even with 20mm more front travel. Is the frame/headset the same or different to make up the diff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I own both the Trek Superfly and the Goblin and I would definitely choose the Goblin for trail riding. The steeper HTA on the Superfly makes the bike fairly quick responding, but I feel like it's just a a too twitchy. In addition, it's just a little easier to get to far over the front end of the SF which I don't care for in my trail riding. The Goblin, I think strikes an excellent balance between being slightly more forgiving (and IMO fun), but still quick enough to quickly and effectively navigate tight and technical singletrack. I hope that helps.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank View Post
    I own both the Trek Superfly and the Goblin and I would definitely choose the Goblin for trail riding. The steeper HTA on the Superfly makes the bike fairly quick responding, but I feel like it's just a a too twitchy. In addition, it's just a little easier to get to far over the front end of the SF which I don't care for in my trail riding. The Goblin, I think strikes an excellent balance between being slightly more forgiving (and IMO fun), but still quick enough to quickly and effectively navigate tight and technical singletrack. I hope that helps.
    That definitely helps, but is a tad confusing since the listed HTA's show that the Goblin is steeper (by 2 degrees). I'm questioning if they are measured the same....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettevert View Post
    One other thing I just noticed. The angle listed in the geo specs for last years and this years are the same...even with 20mm more front travel. Is the frame/headset the same or different to make up the diff?
    They aren't the same.

There were some changes to the frame when we made the new black one. You'll notice the angles aren't exactly the same (1/2 degree difference).

The geometry is slightly tweaked along with a different HT (tapered) and more mud clearance in the back. Also, if you look closely we are beginning to give HA and other measurements with the fork sitting at its proper sag, since that is where it is at when the rider is on it and therefor the true angle.

I hope that makes sense.
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    They aren't the same.

There were some changes to the frame when we made the new black one. You'll notice the angles aren't exactly the same (1/2 degree difference).

The geometry is slightly tweaked along with a different HT (tapered) and more mud clearance in the back. Also, if you look closely we are beginning to give HA and other measurements with the fork sitting at its proper sag, since that is where it is at when the rider is on it and therefor the true angle.

I hope that makes sense.
    It makes sense to measure hta at proper sag (using 20%?), it just makes comparing geo specs across different manufacturers difficult. I am just trying to compare a bike I can't ride with one I can as much as possible...

Poontank? What year SF and Goblin?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I should have mentioned that I am running the fork on my goblin at 100mm and on the superfly I am also running a non stock fork so the G2 offset geometry on the superfly is changed.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hi poontank
    Poontank? What year SF and Goblin?
    i mi Self like to know that cause i orderd the goblin the black one & i was comparing stumpjumper comp2012 &2013 ,superfly al 2012&2013 ,cobia 2012&2013, x-caliber 2012&2013
    but I choose BLACK GOBLIN WITH HT
    & AS YOU ARE SAYING YOU LIKE THE GOBLIN MORE IT MAKES ME WANT TO SPRING IN THE AIR SO HOW DOES THE SUPERFLY COMPARE TO THE GOBLIN, THE WEIGHT , STEERING, SHIFTERS,BRAKES, HOW IS THE FORK COMPARED TO THE SUPERFLY ? & I MY SELF WANT TO KNOW WHICH SUPERFLY YOU HAVE CARBON OR ALUM & WHICH YEAR IT IS

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERY ONE

JOHN